Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:34 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PCB for VGAmite?

Page 1 of 4    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:48am 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seems to be lots of interest in the humble VGAMite so we certainly need a motherboard PCB.

Rather than lots of us doing our own variants it would make sense to have one person create a standard - who wants to volunteer?

My thoughts are to start with a specific box as this determines the size of the PCB. This one is both cheap and seems about the correct size but there are lots of different ones out there. Just needs to be something available worldwide and obviously the layout of the various connectors ultimately determine the size.

My spec would be as follows:

40-pin edge connector with 1-1 mapping of the Blackpill pins so that the pin numbering works on both
VGA connector with RGB selection as per one of the great ideas above
SDcard (fullsize to be easy to solder?)
battery holder for VBAT
PS2 connector
USB/UART (Microbridge to keep it through hole?)
Through hole USB-B for power/uart

On board components are minimal and can all be through hole - pullups to 5V for PS2 signal and data, VGA I/F, 2R2 and 10uF/0.1uF to condition power to SDcard, 100uF tank capacitor across incoming power.

Thoughts?
Edited 2021-11-29 18:52 by matherp

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:09am 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Note the need to isolate a PS/2 pullup while programming/updating the firmware. The BOOT1 (PB2) pin has an onboard 10k pulldown so leaving the PS/2 pullup would put it into an indeterminate state.
Edited 2021-11-29 19:15 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:22am 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Note the need to isolate a PS/2 pullup while programming/updating the firmware.

Good catch Needs a jumper in the PB2 line

My recommendation for SD_CS would be PB1 which only loses PWM1C. This leave PA4 for the Flash chip.
Edited 2021-11-29 22:03 by matherp

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:34pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  we certainly need a motherboard PCB.

. . .

SDcard (fullsize to be easy to solder?)

Nothing easier to solder or do layout for than this: micro sd card module
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:24pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nothing easier to solder or do layout for than this: micro sd card module

Nasty resistors just cause problems and aren't needed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:33pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks like a reasonable box - if you don't have to pay the stupid postal charges from the US. Similar box is available from China etc. There's even a UK source if you pay enough!  :)
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:14pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just an idea,

Could the PCB and connectors be arranged such that with some surgery (for the connectors) the VGAmite would fit in a standard Raspberry Pi 3/4 case and open up the possibility of putting it in a box with VESA mountings which could then be permanently mounted to the back of a compatible monitor to create and all in 1 (well 2 with the keyboard) unit ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:35pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Vesa mounting only needs a strip of aluminium anyway. Personally I'd prefer to have a little extra room in the case than a RPi one, but YMMV. :)
Mick

flasherror

Posted: 08:08pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
My thoughts are to start with a specific box as this determines the size of the PCB. This one is both cheap and seems about the correct size but there are lots of different ones out there. Just needs to be something available worldwide and obviously the layout of the various connectors ultimately determine the size.

Thoughts?

Does the box dimensions permit an ESP8266 / HC12 / JDY40 RF module connector?

flasherror

Posted: 08:20pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Just an idea,

Could the PCB and connectors be arranged such that with some surgery (for the connectors) the VGAmite would fit in a standard Raspberry Pi 3/4

I like the idea reusing Pi cases, because long term availability of cases probably will not be an issue.

Not sure how you would fit a VGA DB15 connector in there!

Also, if using Pi cases and the motherboard has space, doing a partial subset (I2C/power) of the GPIO header would allow Pi GPIO modules (RTC, temp sensor, displays etc) to be easily used?
Edited 2021-11-30 06:27 by flasherror

flasherror

Posted: 08:43pm 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
Nasty resistors just cause problems and aren't needed

Isn't it easier to short/remove (whichever needed) the resistors rather than solder the SD card socket?

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:17am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was going to suggest the case as used for the original mono maximite. It would be nice to acknowledge where it all began.

But I can only find it on the Altronics web site H0376  though.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:21am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  I was going to suggest the case as used for the original mono maximite. It would be nice to acknowledge where it all began.

that would be cool    

despite objections, i'd also back using an SD socket pre-assembled on a daughterboard from china, as this allows easy assembly by our (apparently) elderly forum members, no reason to not have it attached by flying wires.

peter: is there any (sensible) way to allow for a USB keyboard connected directly? ie, bitbanged at the lowest (1mb/s) USB speed.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2021-11-30 13:22 by robert.rozee

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:37am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I volunteer, as I have already hinted at that in the other thread.
(that I am planning to do a mainboard for the VGAmite)

A full-size SD card socket is quite easy to solder, and everything else as through-hole was how I was planning to do things on my board.  I was planning to "Steal" phil99's bit of schematic and buffer the VGA output signal via his NPN emitter-follower idea, and three trimmers to set the individual RGB levels, giving maximum control over what colour you want.  I was not and am not planning to expand on that anymore then that - gotta remember the KISS method.

I had not considered fitting it to a case, but the same case as used for the CMM1 and CMM2 etc, is cheap, is available worldwide and would probably be what I would go for.

Would the members here agree that the BlackPill module should be socketed, or do the members think it would be better to solder it down to the mainboard?
I kinda like removable modules, as it is then much easier to plop another module in there if you suspect you have hurt the original module during some testing etc, and you don't then have to unsolder the old one.  Thoughts?

@ Bill: Re, the original Maximite case, yes, that is a good idea, and I think we'd get everything in there OK.  Has my vote.
Edited 2021-11-30 13:39 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Cyber

Posted: 04:01am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  Would the members here agree that the BlackPill module should be socketed, or do the members think it would be better to solder it down to the mainboard?
I kinda like removable modules, as it is then much easier to plop another module in there if you suspect you have hurt the original module during some testing etc, and you don't then have to unsolder the old one.  Thoughts?

Socketed.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:25am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes socketed please, I guess it could be assembled either way if you omit the sockets.

I do have concerns about Phil's circuit because it can stray a long way from the 75ohm input impedance of the monitor. Some monitors may not like it, there may be reflections and it may cause a fuzzy display.

Then again I may be talking out of my hat.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:16am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK then, socketed.  

@ Turbo46: Can you suggest another circuit?  I hear what you are saying, but I was simply going to adopt phil99's circuit.

@ phil99: Can you comment on the above with respect to your arrangement?

Finally, only going to do the PCB if everyone else is happy that I do?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:52am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the colors on the VGA: use jumpers to select either

green = G only
white = R + G + B
amber = R + G

so in fact you can hardwire green, and then add red and blue as required.

-or- (that is quite oldschool) add 3 potmeters. so everybody can select their best rainbow color.

Volhout
Edited 2021-11-30 17:54 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Calli

Posted: 08:05am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[ said  QUOTE=Volhout

-or- (that is quite oldschool) add 3 potmeters. so everybody can select their best rainbow color.

Volhout

We can also wire it to a PWM Pin... :)  

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:06am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can't support the Altronics case as they seem to be the only supplier based on quick Google search and I think a case is a pre-requisite if this is to be a little "computer" so needs to be available worldwide

Rob: no idea if USB can be bitbanged and USB in general is something I have studiously tried to avoid - far too complex. Google returns lots of "is it possible" questions but no implementations.

Disagree with ESP socket. That sort of connectivity isn't the design brief for this port IMHO

Grogster: I'm definitely happy you do it assuming gerbers will be open source. Enjoy getting the pin mapping on the 40-pin edge connector right (remembering CMM2   )

Assuming space then I recommend using CR2032 battery holder as the batteries used on the CMM2 seem to be difficult to find in some locations

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024