Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:31 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PCB for VGAmite?

Page 2 of 4    
Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 08:24am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster, This would be my first pass at a circuit for VGA. Untested and I don't have an easy way to test it.

But I really think it's all a bit OTT and unnecessary. I think Volhout's suggestion is all that's needed, perhaps allow for different value resistors in place of the links to adjust the colour if it's needed.

The Altronics case says it's made by RITEC but I couldn't find it on their site either.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:31am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I started playing with the case that Peter suggested originally - just to see if it's possible to fit everything in. On the CAD, I'm managing to fit VGA + PS/2 connectors at one end and a 13+13 90 degree IDE socket at the other with about 7mm to spare. Sizes are approximate as the drawings in the advert don't appear to be to scale and supply insufficient information. The BP is running at right-angles to the case so, at the moment, there is no access to either the USB socket or debug connector.

This is all very early stages and I've not considered any sort of VGA colour change. I've not even got the battery on the board (or a power supply connector, but that could be the USB socket). I put +5 +3V3 and GND on the IDE socket anyway. I've still not sorted out the SDcard socket either, but I'm going to attempt a full-size one on the side of the case (although the cutout might be a pig). If it is I'll try putting it at the end and move the VGA socket to the side to make the cutouts easier.

Based on the above, I doubt very much if it's possible to use a RPi case unless it's one of the oversize ones intended to take additional expansion.

VGAmite-box-001.pdf

In theory I don't think the diodes are necessary, although they may help with colour purity. The supply on the board can be assumed to be a constant 3v3 so just calculating the resistors to give an output not exceeding 0.7v into 75 ohms should be sufficient.
Edited 2021-11-30 18:35 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 09:08am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  @Grogster, This would be my first pass at a circuit for VGA. Untested and I don't have an easy way to test it.

be wary: 2.7v into 33 ohm (3x 100 ohm in parallel) equals 80mA of current consumption JUST for the one-transistor video driver!

cheers,
rob   :-)

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 09:14am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

consider these for the SC card:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123904123484
and:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152201929853

no obvious sign of resistors.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2021-11-30 19:14 by robert.rozee

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:18am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

80mA and more through the monitor inputs. The PN100 is good for 500mA and 625mW so that should be OK. Minimum gain is 80 so only about 1mA base current needed. I did look at that because I was concerned about the load and dissipation.

Bill

Edit: I still think it's OTT.
Edit2: 80mA+ has implications for the power supply though.
Edited 2021-11-30 19:29 by Turbo46

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:44am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Shame if it won't fit in a Raspberry Pi case given there ubiquity and low price point, but I guess it can't be helped.

@matherp said  Disagree with ESP socket. That sort of connectivity isn't the design brief for this port IMHO

Disagree with the disagreement . If it ends up in an "oversized" case I would suggest putting in the anchor points and pin holes for a second PS/2 (mouse) and an ESP, and however more holes you can fit in ala CGs versions of the CMM2. That way the end-users get to decide what the port is for and have the choice to wire up whatever else they can fit inside the box. I am not asking for mouse of ESP support to be added to the firmware!

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:26pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re the VGA out.
The diodes can be omitted as all the monitors I have tried don't mind a bit of overdrive. Up to 1.5 V seems ok. A 270 ohm series resistor will ensure it stays under 0.8V for 3.3V supply.
With (270 + 75 ohms) x 3 at 3.3V = 29mA so the emitter follower may not be needed for this. The MX270 in the ASCII terminal did need it.
To make it easy to customize colours provide 2 x 3 pin female headers to plug the resistors into. (or 3 x 2 pin if the resistors stand vertical)
If there is room could there be a small set of prototyping pads near the VGA connector for custom colour control methods? Eg. PWM control of the colours would use 3 transistors and a few resistors etc.

Phil

flasherror

Posted: 12:48pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the VGA colors, jumpers to select green/white/amber is enough, anything beyond that is overkill. Better to use PCB space to add an on-board beeper and/or audio out via 1/8" line out jack?

For the case being considered, anyone have a USA vendor link/datasheet?

I like the idea of USB keyboard support rather than PS2 (PS2 keyboards aren't easy to find in stores), but might need additional chip required to implement? What's a cheap micro with USB *host* support to implement an USB to PS2 converter? (That way Peter doesn't have any extra work to do). Maybe there is a way to bit bang USB and use an even cheaper device?
Crazy idea: it could also support a USB mouse and translate mouse movements into cursor keys and (enter/space) key presses ? Might be good for playing Centipede or Missile Command as well as GUIs.

I feel some sort of wireless connectivity is a must have (ESP8266 or one of the other modules I mentioned earlier). Otherwise, how many VT100 terminals are we gonna create?  

@Grogster
Can the PCB design files be open source so it can be used as a starting point for custom boards? What PCB software are you using?

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  For the VGA colors, jumpers to select green/white/amber is enough

Does the saying "A camel is a horse designed by a committee" ring a bell?

K I S S

Bill

PS While I think my circuit above would work, the pots would only be effective for about half the adjustment because anything above half way would be clipped by the diodes.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:18pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On that layout I'm playing with you'll be lucky to get a Microbridge chip in the box!
I'm rearranging it all to get a CR2032 in. I agree with Peter, the little one isn't easy to source. I had to buy 2 off ebay as no-one round here had even heard of them.

No, it won't be all singing all dancing. There isn't room and I don't want to go for a bigger case 'cos I'm pig-headed and this is a "design challenge", as my old boss used to say. :)
Mick

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said   I agree with Peter, the little one isn't easy to source. I had to buy 2 off ebay as no-one round here had even heard of them.

wow! you have electronics component shops near you??? jealous

I remember the glory days of the 80s, every parade of shops had a surplus electronics shop... Loutronics, Linways, Stan Reed and the mother-lode of Edgware Road and Tottenham Court Road... and it died back and we were left with just Maplins... and then there was none.
Edited 2021-11-30 23:54 by CaptainBoing

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:18pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you design a VGA terminal with build in basic, the target would be that it is a terminal. A nice way to mount a terminal is at the back of the monitor, using the VESA mounting points.

These are not really close together, so you have a bigger mother board, and the housing could be a bit bigger too. Like the CMM2 housing...

That would also allow for a nice larger CR2032, and an ESP footprint, a full size SD card and potentially a USB/PS2 bridge chip, and of coarse a microbridge.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My preferred version of the VGA output.

A modified copy of the mono maximite circuit. The links allow selection of one or more colours and for those who want to fiddle, vertically mounted resistors could replace the links to produce any colour they want.

If a larger CMM1/2 box was used the board could include a 'sea of holes' to cater for those who want to add all manner of weird and wonderful things.

Maybe use the same rear connector as the CMM2 so that PI cobblers can be used to connect to the external world.

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:09pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Maybe use the same rear connector as the CMM2 so that PI cobblers can be used to connect to the external world.

Emphasis mine

See @bigmik, I didn't invent the term cobblers for these adapters, even one of your fellow countrymen is using it.

Is there an issue that some cobblers tie the ground lines together and if they are not also grounds on the 'mite then you are in trouble - or have I invented that.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-12-01 02:12 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

flasherror

Posted: 04:29pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While everybody's tossing around ideas, what about the PCB size?
Does it make sense to try to achieve a cheap 100x100mm PCB (assuming that's possible) which leaves extra space inside case
or
Design larger PCB (to fit whatever case is selected) with 0.1" prototyping area, optional "user installed" connectors etc?
Edited 2021-12-01 02:31 by flasherror

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:03pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, it's like stuffing a cuddly toy...  :)

VGAmite-box-002.pdf

I'm not saying this is definitive, of course (note that the SD card isn't connected!). I'm just stuffing bits in a box. For reference, the polylines I've used for tracks are supposed to be 0.6mm wide. This isn't a PCB layout program.

If someone would like to use a bigger board then by all means do so - I'm only playing. :)

If a case is to be used then there probably aren't a lot of options. I had a job getting hold of the case for the CMM2 as it worked out very expensive from many suppliers by the time postage, handling & vat had gone on. Cheap enough if you want 20 or you want over 30 UKP in parts (+vat), but not for a single one.
Edited 2021-12-01 03:07 by Mixtel90
Mick

flasherror

Posted: 05:28pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Well, it's like stuffing a cuddly toy...  :)

VGAmite-box-002.pdf

I'm not saying this is definitive, of course (note that the SD card isn't connected!). I'm just stuffing bits in a box.

The reason I mentioned 100x100mm is that the cost for this size is same as slightly smaller prototype PCBs (JLCPCB), so case aside, there might not be any good reason to make an extraordinary small PCB  (and compromise functionality to achieve the small size). Not sure if anyone else agrees.

I'm surprised there isn't a case that is designed to fit a 100x100 PCB but I am not an enclosure expert so maybe there's one that I don't know about.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:42pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's not just a case of finding a box the right size, it's not good if there is only a single manufacturer or if it's only available at reasonable cost in one country. eg. a box in the US might be the equivalent of 4 UKP in the UK, but US postage costs might easily add another 10 UKP to that.
Mick

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:04pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the video out, I refer you to my earlier post:
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=14328&P=2#178157

3 resistors.
One each to red green blue.
Provided the user doesn't use values below 270 ohms (I would prefer 330 if the display is bright enough), the pic will not be over-loaded and the monitor will not be over-driven.
Minimum load on the power supply.

Blue omitted, 680 ohms to green and 330 ohms to red for amber.

If you want to get really fancy, a 470 ohm pot in series with a 270/330 ohm resistor but I call that overkill.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:42pm 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Final attempt, I think.
* Fit 1, 2 or 3 resistors to mix VGA colour.
* 1-of-4 link to set SD card enable pin
* isolation link to disconnect BOOT1 pin during setup
* on-board LED wired out (keep the current low as original is still in circuit)
* power supply is via USB connector
* RESET pin is on GPIO port
* Console connections are on GPIO port

I'd like to have grided the 5v but I've not got an easy route now.

VGAmite-box-003.pdf
Mick

Page 2 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024