Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:25 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : dim var as byte

Page 16 of 16    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:10pm 19 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are *loads* of PCB designs for the PicoMite and PicoMite VGA. :)  Just not on ebay.

If you want a "backpack" board for the ILI9341 I did one of those a while ago. Have a look at the link in my sig, it's listed there - both gerbers and the manual. I *think* I may still have some boards left. Check out the manual and see if it's what you want.

EDIT:
To solder the pins onto a Pico there's a very easy way. Use an old breadboard (you might ruin the contacts on a new one - a cheap one will do). Put the pins into it, with the Picoon them and push them part way in. Check down the sides to make sure that the Pico isn't bowed. Solder end and a middle pin on each side then check again. Finish soldering the lot, unplug and go. Everything is lined up perfectly and there's no stress on the pins.
Edited 2022-08-20 07:18 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 09:47pm 19 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  if there's an ili board for your display get one if it's just sockets and no fun of soldering :( nothing much on ebay

If you want help why not try taking the time to write in English using normal syntax and punctuation. Lots of forum members who don't have English as a first language seem to manage it perfectly well.

Please explain where in the manual you have found the command "OPTION CLEAR" since no-one else can find it?

page 48 in the manual-

"If you run into trouble getting the display to work it is worth disconnecting everything and clear the options
with the command OPTION CLEAR so that you can start with a clean slate. Then reconnect it one stage at a
time and configure and test each new stage as you progress. First the SD card interface, then the LCD display
and finally the touch interface"

if you start with the suggested sd card ie option sdcard gp22 it says
error : System SPI not configured... which makes sense cos it's not connected.
syrro this is hard to understand...I'm Welsh
Edited 2022-08-20 07:57 by stanleyella

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 10:09pm 19 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These commands will be remembered and automatically applied on power up. Note that after each command is
entered the PicoMite will restart, and the USB connection will be lost and must be reconnected.
Next the touch screen should be calibrated:
GUI CALIBRATE
You can then test the various components. The following will list the files on the SD card, if it executes
without error you can be assured that the SD card interface is good.
FILES
The following will draw multiple colourful overlapping circles on the LCD screen which will confirm that the
LCD is connected correctly:
GUI TEST LCDPANEL
Finally, the following will test the touch interface. When you touch the LCD screen a dot should appear on the
screen at the exact point of the touch.
GUI TEST TOUCH
If this is not accurate you may have to run the GUI CALIBRATE command a second time taking greater care.
If you run into trouble getting the display to work it is worth disconnecting everything and clear the options
with the command OPTION CLEAR so that you can start with a clean slate. Then reconnect it one stage at a
time and configure and test each new stage as you progress. First the SD card interface, then the LCD display
and finally the touch interface.
Also note that the ILI9341 controller is sensitive to static discharge so, if the panel will not respond, it could be
damaged and it would be worth testing with another panel.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 10:32pm 19 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mix, you said you preferred the vga mmbasic in a post. I think you've forgotten lcd stuff. I think vga not as valid as lcd support. If you look at other forums you'd see the trouble people go to to get a touch screen working. mmbasic for lcd sorts all that.
I got a rpi400 and retropi ie emulation station and rpi runs off usb3 ssd and retropi runs off usb3 ssd.
many systems and games. 3500 zxspectrum games so it takes minutes to load and there's some I wrote.
I got games like n64 starwing or pilot wings I used to play with my kids and the nostalgia overload is too much. They've seen them and remember them.
I don't think I'll use mmbasic vga... there's vga games on the forum and they look a lot to learn compared to glcd.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:03am 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  I asked what happens when you read an a-d pin and answer was
"GCB setups the ADC, reads it. Provides the result back to user.

If you need more samples and noise handling then users would add this in the user code."

My reply was Thanks. That's always worked for me.

so none the wiser ie GCB setups the ADC

I may find a-d works ok for me but got side tracked getting second rpipico working with lcd. I put the headers in the other way so I could see the "labels" but they're useless and makes it easy to make mistakes as the left right pins reversed.
Also someone mentioned broken molex leads, got to check them not take for granted when got problems. teraterm it works but any lcd it's invalid option or syntax.
Other board works fine. Swapped displays etc.
Got one more rpipico to solder headers to.

GCB is a compiler all of its own. How they chose to do ADC setup is completely up to them. :)  I do know it works though. It's lower level than the PicoMite as it doesn't do any de-noising or scaling IIRC - it just gives you a number which is the analogue value at that instant. If you want to remove noise then you have to do something like MMBasic does automatically.

Is it the same sort of display that you've been using?
Now you're using the "upside down" board you'll have to be extra careful with your wiring, won't you? I think I'd be tempted to use it right way up and connect to it using female Dupont leads rather than plug it into a breadboard. I don't know - I've never tried to use one like that.

Don't connect the SD card until you have the display and Touch working.
Connect Touch_EN (I'm not sure what the pin name is off-hand) high initially to disable touch until you have the display working.

What's your OPTIONs list?

I've certainly not forgotten about LCD display. :) As I said, you lose Touch so it's essential for a lot of stuff. I just happen to prefer programming on the VGA version as I use the built-in editor. I very rarely use the console unless I'm debugging. I can't even see it as I only have a single monitor and it's a faff switching it between console and display. I know I could just use a LCD as the display, but it's something else to clutter my little table up with and I've no spare ones anyway.
Edited 2022-08-20 17:13 by Mixtel90
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:17pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  "clear the options with the command OPTION CLEAR so that you can start with a clean slate"

The manual appears to be in error, since no "OPTION CLEAR" is supported (and it's not listed in the OPTIONs section). OPTION LCDPANEL DISABLE is what you want to be able to reset LCD options.

There's also an "OPTION RESET"--but there are two entries for it in the manual; one has the description "Clears all options"; the other says "Reset all saved options to their default values" (I don't know exactly what that means with respect to OPTION LCDPANEL). I suspect the second OPTION RESET should be removed from the manual.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 02:27pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If my posts are irritating then I apologise. Everyone was a new user once.
Why would I intentionally want to upset people who have made the effort to help me??
An observation- never seen a-d values adjusted or played with using picaxe or gcb,
people just use the value. No one seems to mention noise.
This is all I expect from just reading a-d pin. Noise does not seem to show.
This is a really cheap 100k potentiometer connected between ground and 5V and I am just displaying the voltage. The potentiometer was an old carbon one and audio would be noisy but my display seems stable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d51PTF8Boh0
Edited 2022-08-21 00:52 by stanleyella

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:42pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Assuming you are using GP26 as an input, all you need to do in MMBasic is:

SETPIN GP26, AIN
myvoltage = PIN(GP26)

myvoltage is set to a value between zero and 3.3 by default. I'm pretty sure it can't get much easier. The SETPIN command is necessary as GP26 can also be used for other purposes, so we have to set it up for the ADC. You only do it once in your program. If you want to stop using it as an ADC input then use

SETPIN GP26, OFF

which will free it off to be used for something else.

You don't know if the Picaxe or GCB PIC chips have noisy inputs or not. They might be filtering the noise just as MMBasic does as the process is completely transparent to you. All ADC inputs are noisy simply because there are all sorts of noises around, including on the supply rails and RF broadcasts. One of the arts of working with ADCs is in learning how to minimise that noise.
Edited 2022-08-21 01:42 by Mixtel90
Mick

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:35pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Assuming you are using GP26 as an input, all you need to do in MMBasic is:

SETPIN GP26, AIN
myvoltage = PIN(GP26)

myvoltage is set to a value between zero and 3.3 by default. I'm pretty sure it can't get much easier. The SETPIN command is necessary as GP26 can also be used for other purposes, so we have to set it up for the ADC. You only do it once in your program. If you want to stop using it as an ADC input then use

SETPIN GP26, OFF

which will free it off to be used for something else.

You don't know if the Picaxe or GCB PIC chips have noisy inputs or not. They might be filtering the noise just as MMBasic does as the process is completely transparent to you. All ADC inputs are noisy simply because there are all sorts of noises around, including on the supply rails and RF broadcasts. One of the arts of working with ADCs is in learning how to minimise that noise.

Thanks for the advice. I just setup rpipico third one and soldered headers so button is up and can not see the useless labels.
Loaded mmbasic, connected ili9341 and powered it from vbus which measured 5V but flashing horizontal lines partially across the lcd. Hmmm... Using 3.3Vout sorted it.
I used the example ili9341 setup in the manual and it all works, display circles, touch calibrate and touch test and read files on sd card all working.
Maybe soldering the headers other way could have damaged second pico but it worked in  teraterm.
anyway I'm pleased pico 3 is working as a spare.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:40pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  An observation- never seen a-d values adjusted or played with using picaxe or gcb,
people just use the value. No one seems to mention noise.

If you haven't seen it with PICAXE, you haven't read all the pertinent posts. When using an ADC on the PICAXE, I've regularly used a method someone posted sometime--read 10 values, throw away the high and low, and average the remainder.

Even absent significant noise (or if you worked to minimize it), there will always be points in the range you are looking at at which you will experience dither--fluctuation between readings in the least significant bit (at least). It's a fundamental aspect of converting an analog signal to digital.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 05:13pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I notice pico 1 is com13, pico 2 is com 14, pico 3 is com 15 and it is remembered on win 10. I had to reset mmedit for new com but easy and works.
The ili9341 in the manual works. The wiring and the options.
I am glad I set up the lcd for portrait.
now to start coding a-d. using manual and posted code examples.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Windows recognises individual devices and will create a new COM port for any that it doesn't already recognise. It will almost always connect a device to the COM port it was originally given.
Mick

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Windows recognises individual devices and will create a new COM port for any that it doesn't already recognise. It will almost always connect a device to the COM port it was originally given.

arduino on win 10 and same device different com port each time I use it.
tried on other pc and laptop same.
Anyway I'm happy I got 2 mmbasic working boards.
I got 8 channel bi-direction logic level converters but mistakes and 5V into pico gp pin and broken so plan b, a backup :)

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This gives 1 and 2 maybe when the pin is touched . not sure of convert vars to strings if that is only way of printing vars on lcd
SETPIN GP26, AIN
cls
do
myvoltage = PIN(GP26)
text 0,0,Str$(myvoltage)
loop

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 20 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's right. TEXT can only output strings.
The ADC pin inputs are very high impedance. It's better to put a resistor to ground to keep them stable with little or no input, otherwise they will float to about half supply voltage. You are seeing an average of the maximum that the input can handle, so about 1.6V. Read up on the STR$() function to change the way it formats the string.
Mick

panky

Guru

Posted: 03:57am 21 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With the greatest respect to stanleyelle, this post seems to have degenerated into miscellaneous ramblings about getting a Picomite up and running as well as all sorts of hardware and software questions with nothing to do with the original post.

It might be better to close this thread and start a new thread for each topic/problem -  that way, Backshed members can more easily assist with each specific issue. This also helps others find answers/solutions to problems - ie. the problem and solution are neatly linked together in the one post.

Just my 2 penneth worth and not intended to discourage anyone from posting issues.

panky
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:40am 21 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Much as I agree with you, panky, from my previous experience as a mod on another forum it's sometimes an idea to simply accept thread drift and keep all the stuff in one place rather than have umpteen threads. Stanleyella is a newbie to MMBasic and tends to have a lot of questions so that's a lot of threads. :) It's not likely that any of his questions so far will be things that others will be searching for.

He has a point though, stanleyella, now you're finding your feet a bit it might be a good idea to take his advice and try to keep to (more or less) one subject per thread. :)
Mick

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 08:07pm 21 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Point taken. It was originally about mmbasic variables and transferring programs to mmbasic. I have received a lot of good advice. Thank you.

Page 16 of 16    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024