Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:34 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Sad News

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:42pm 11 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

It is with deep sadness that I have just found out that Jean Renier (aka MicroBlocks) has passed away in January this year.

I last communicated successfully with him in late 2019 when he went back to the Netherlands for treatment for cancer, he was very hopeful and optimistic.

I did try several times to contact him after that time to no effect. Including a message I sent about 6 weeks ago

Yesterday I received a message from his daughter’s boyfriend that he has sadly passed away.

I am sure many of you will share the sadness of this knowledge, Jean was a very active contributor to all thing MM, especially in the early days.

Vale’   Jean. Renier

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:17am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...another technician gone to the big silicon chip in the sky.  
Sad news indeed.
I remember him being very active on these forums, and I also noted he had not posted for ages.  I put it down to the fact that he must have moved on to other things as people do, but I never thought....

I had no idea he was even unwell.  
But then, why would I(or anyone else) unless that was made public.
Always tragic when we lose any member like this.
Thank you for posting this and informing the forums, Mick.
Do you know how old he was?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:29am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's sad news.

He was a very active member, over 2000 posts. I'll keep his membership active in respect.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:33am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

@Grogster,
Jean looked to be late 50's in the photo he sent me in late 2019 when he went to the Netherlands for his treatment. So I guess he was early 60's when he passed.

@Gizmo,
Thank you that is a nice gesture.

Mick

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:43am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   So I guess he was early 60's when he passed.

Far too young.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 01:37am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Part of getting older is losing people. It's terrible. so many who never got their pension. I should feel blessed but don't feel like that.

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 10:38am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Goodbye Jean (MicroBlocks aka TZAdvantage) we miss you!
Very sad
Michael

paceman
Guru

Posted: 11:47am 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZAdvantage (Jean and later Microblocks) was a very clever member of TBS and a very pleasant 'bloke' as well. I say 'bloke' because I remember he said he kept a dictionary of English and Australian colloquialisms alongside his computer so that he could communicate and more fully share in the fun on the forum.

Among many other good ideas, he developed the original code for the PIC MC16F1455 that allowed the use of its USB port to load the Micromite firmware from our PC's without having to use Microchip's official PICkit3 loader. That was quite a game changer for many of us that communicated with him directly, even though he didn't allow an open license for it's use.

He taught computer and electronics classes in Thailand and I reckon his students will have missed him these last couple of years as well.

Vale TZ, we've missed you and you went too early.

Greg

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:25pm 12 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What sad news.

John

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 02:26am 13 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  TZAdvantage (Jean and later Microblocks) was a very clever member of TBS and a very pleasant 'bloke' as well.

Well said.  It is sad news indeed.

If I remember correctly, he distributed his 16F455 usb bridge virtually at cost, but other members of TBS/SC then developed an alternate version and bypassed his endeavour.

Worth reading.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:43am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Jean's last message to me back in late 2019, when he was in the Netherlands had this little snippet in it.

That same Thursday i go with my wife, kids and a friend to a concert in Amsterdam. I am a big Star Wars fan and love the music from those movies. The concert will be a lot of other movie soundtracks in the first hour and only music from Star Wars in the second hour. Always wished to attend such a concert but was never able to before as it was always far away. Now it is in The Netherlands just a few km's from here. Concertgebouw is famous for its acoustics so it will be a good experience.

His daughter's boyfriend shared with me his final moments, which are so beautiful

He was able to pass away in a peaceful state with friends and family from Thailand around him, he slowly fell asleep with his Star Wars theme music and passed away in his sleep. This was his biggest wish.

I can only hope that when my time comes it will be as peaceful as Jean's

Fare well my friend

Mick

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:26am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, that's so beautiful...
A sad loss. I feel for those who are left, but this is part of the great circle of life, isn't it? All things must pass. I lost my mother recently and she too got her wish for a peaceful end.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024