Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:06 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Is the Color Maximite 2 Dead?

Page 5 of 5    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:34pm 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  
  thwill said  - also as a result of writing games I have developed a bunch of tools and libraries for the 'mites ...

@Tom, OK I'll bite. Where are these tools and libraries? I'm aware of SPTOOLS and there are many things you do in SAAINT that many can learn from and use but I'm not aware of a 'games library' as such.

You misunderstand me Bill, I wasn't talking about a games library per se I was talking about these components of https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-sptools:

- splib: MMBasic library including string and file handling, and some support for lists, maps and sets of strings. Also includes "txtwm.inc" which provides a single API for rendering the same character based output to hi-res and (VT) serial displays.

- sptest: MMBasic unit testing tool following the xUnit test pattern (or a simplified approximation thereof).

- sptrans: MMBasic preprocessor/transpiler (still no C-style macros, sorry).

- gonzo: MMBasic console tool for file transfer from MMB4L to PicoMite and CMM2 (a bit like the old "kermit" program.) It fulfills some of the role that other people are using MMEdit for. It also integrates with preprocessing using 'sptrans' where required.

Specifically for games I am currently (as you know) working on a controller library/API which will provide digital (not analog) controller (and keyboard) agnostic support to be added to MMBasic programs for PicoGAME/PicoMiteVGA/CMM2. I also have reusable high-score table code and a music engine, though in the latter case @Martin H's seems to be better so I need to investigate and possible borrow that.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-10-30 23:37 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

bar1010

Posted: 06:08pm 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a Country and State Capitals quiz program in development for Color Maximite 2.  It is going to have graphics with flags and maps.  United States states, Canadian territories, and Australian territories will be included as well as all the countries of the world.
Edited 2022-10-31 07:47 by bar1010

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:17am 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  You misunderstand me Bill

I did, sorry Tom. But you did manage to hide splib away quite well.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

cTrix

Posted: 07:06am 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm still here noodling with my CMM2!  Great little platform!

I'm actually trying to pull a demo together for it for Syntax 2022 (if anyone wants to gimme hand... maybe has some effects that run with clock-cycles to spare for the tune, HMU!)

It's a super fun device to work with - but I don't really know anyone else who has one.  I bought parts for 5 kits (and my own PCB run) then had to move so lost my electronics bench space for a year or so.  It seems the Waveshare boards are available again (?) so I might fire it up again.  It's a pretty fun and timeless platform IMHO.

I think as people noodle with the crop of new machines (like the Mega and X16) they'll come back around to wanting something that's faster for BASIC (rather than diving into assembly).  So I think it's always "about the right speed" for those people.  I'm on both sides now where I'm starting to have to consider asm side for Mega, but it's always a breath of fun fresh air firing up the CMM2.
Link: YouTube Colour MaxiMite 2 Intro Video   |   ctrix.net

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 04:29pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  

btw, i am far more a fan of teaching students how to write algorithms and interact with I/O devices than creating games. but then that is just my background i guess!

Amen!

robert.rozee said  
just ordered one of these, to see how well it works:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225082647495

The HC-06 is a very good module, I used them a few times. Programming is a bit fiddly - you get a second to enter any commands. You'll need to use copy and paste *A LOT* but the only settings really are the name and PIN. That said, there is no program button to press, the thing is in program mode all the time so long as there is no active radio connection. So the serial link is your program input (LED flashing about 2Hz) and that will automatically flip as soon as something connects with it (LED steady), whence the serial link becomes the actual data link to the remote device... I quite like it but it takes a bit of getting used to.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

subject drift warning...

Nimue said  
Oddly, I just received one of those -- use case -- temperature sensor hooked up to PicoMite to send data to an App on my Android phone.  

building apps for mobiles can be a pain. Have a look at this - it has reduced the android libs to "blocks and links" then spits out an APK file when you are done. I used this for my garage controller. Works nicely and gives a very easy way to develop professional looking apps

http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/

(all those borders around elements are for alignment in the designer - you don't see them in the finished article)

The above example shows how to send text from my phone to the controller - I send the command ($X etc) and the system time from the phone coz the controller doesn't have an RTC (I am so tight) so it "steals" the time from the phone to set its clock each time it receives a command.

b$=b$+Input$(Min(16,Loc(#2)),#2)' grab the bluetooth message
If Len(b$)>=16 Then
if Left$(b$,1)<>"$" Or Mid$(b$,16,1)<>"!" Then FlushIO:Goto BadFrame'commands look like $X1505054337041!, dump anything else

dt$=HumanTime(Val(Mid$(b$,3,10)))' convert phone time epoch to human time

On Error Skip 1:Date$=Left$(dt$,10)'set the clock
On Error Skip 1:Time$=Right$(dt$,8)

CL "Command:"+b$
Select Case Mid$(b$,2,1)' parse the commands
Case "X"'stop
LogEvent(LogEnc$("X",0))
CL "Answering Door Stop (Bluetooth)"
Release
Case "D"'door down

etc...
Edited 2022-11-01 03:35 by CaptainBoing

bar1010

Posted: 01:07am 03 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Progress update for my Color Maximite 2 programs:

World and State Capitals - nearly complete, have at least one thing to fix yet for the World Capitals
Chess Puzzles - Have all 2000 puzzles created, one half have been checked and errors found fixed
Chess Puzzles 2 - Downloaded a set of 495 PGN files which contain around 1,600,000 find the best
series of moves puzzles, started to create a program to read random puzzles from these files and
show them on screen with board and pieces
TSCP Chess v3 - Have nine new piece sets created, four new opening books that can be used, need
to fix some errors with the books, Chess 960 variant is showing the initial positions correctly, need to
fix errors with castling, Have the piece graphics ready for three other variants, started to make the
coding changes for several variants, Need to finish creating piece graphics for variants with board
sizes 10 by 10 squares, 11 by 10 squares, and 12 by 12 squares

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:53am 03 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
  robert.rozee said  

btw, i am far more a fan of teaching students how to write algorithms and interact with I/O devices than creating games. but then that is just my background i guess!

Amen!

robert.rozee said  
just ordered one of these, to see how well it works:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225082647495

The HC-06 is a very good module, I used them a few times. Programming is a bit fiddly - you get a second to enter any commands. You'll need to use copy and paste *A LOT* but the only settings really are the name and PIN. That said, there is no program button to press, the thing is in program mode all the time so long as there is no active radio connection. So the serial link is your program input (LED flashing about 2Hz) and that will automatically flip as soon as something connects with it (LED steady), whence the serial link becomes the actual data link to the remote device... I quite like it but it takes a bit of getting used to.

the HC-06 i'd ordered arrived last week, and indeed does a pretty good job. i could program it using GFXterm, that has a popup (alt-7) to allow entering a line to then send out as a single 'packet'. i discovered a rather useful undocumented AT command, AT+DEFAULT that resets everything to the default values, but of course you need to know the baud rate first!

using it under linux was a tad 'clunky', but likely something that could be automated with a little bit of tinkering. i need to experiment with the (uninstalled) push button to see if it triggers pairing without needing to use a passcode. to date i just used the HC-06 connected to a PC via a USB bridge, running two terminal emulators.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:53am 03 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  subject drift warning...

building apps for mobiles can be a pain. Have a look at this - it has reduced the android libs to "blocks and links" then spits out an APK file when you are done. I used this for my garage controller. Works nicely and gives a very easy way to develop professional looking apps

Take a look at this....UI is a bit dated but it gets the job done.

Craig

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:52am 03 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
Take a look at this....UI is a bit dated but it gets the job done.

cool, will give it a whirl - cheers. tbh I am not terribly fond of the "jigsaw" designer approach but everything else was so involved.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 01:57pm 03 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't think Emile(the author) mentions the other derivative, GrauBasic which supports BLE (Like the HM-10).

A link can be found here...

As far as transferring the edited code to the Android device, I prefer the apk Airdroid. Enables full remote access to the device.

Mougino has some cool utilities also

Craig
Edited 2022-11-04 00:33 by Tinine

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 03 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had this other idea that I'll never get around to:

Pseudo-code:

'A PM or other Mite

RFO_Circle <params> 'send to Android device via BT
RFO_Bitmap <params> 'send to Android device via BT
RFO_Render 'send to Android device via BT
RFO_PlayMp3 <params>
RFO_SendEmail <Params>

IOW, have the Android device become a slave to the Mite?
Have all the required resources such as images and audio files stored in RFO-Basic's data folder

* Fast hi-res graphics
* Touch Screen
* Memory
* High quality audio
* WiFi
* Bluetooth

I think I paid <£50 for a 7" tablet from Argos and it makes for a great UI.

Craig

bar1010

Posted: 12:13am 09 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Two future projects for Color Maximite 2 that I might start developing include
1. Jeopardy! - have a CSV file with nearly 217,000 questions and answers from the game show.
2. Scrolling 2D Maze - the idea will likely be that each time the player solves a maze, the next one gets a little
bit larger, might have the player collect keys and treasures, might have up and down ladders to
span multiple levels, would like to include support for a Wii controller.

Also have thought about creating Scrabble and Monopoly programs, but they will likely take a long
time to create.
Edited 2022-11-09 10:30 by bar1010

bar1010

Posted: 06:43pm 16 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not dead yet…

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:56am 17 Nov 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

About the maze....

Make a multiplayer maze (MM) in MMBasic.
CMM2 master (server), serial cable to pico client.
Both have their own keyboard/monitor
Both explore the same maze.

You can run into eachother....

Next is to establist the serial link through 2 x ESP8266 over WIFI

Next is to establish the link over internet

I am ready to play, are you .....??

P.S. You could also think of the maze server running MMB4W, and multiple clients....
Edited 2022-11-17 20:59 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

frnno967

Posted: 05:27am 01 Dec 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I echo the sentiment of many on this thread. Was super excited to continue development of Maxiterm for the CMM2 G2 models but when the chip shortage hit it really sapped the motivation to work on it when many people wouldn't be able to obtain G2 units anyway. I still have a TO-DO list in my head of many cool features to be added, but until people can get them again it seems futile. I did give a couple of G1 units to some developers to help spur them to contribute but hopefully that will come to fruition one day. Until then, I'll lurk on the forum.
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

Page 5 of 5    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024