Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:11 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MX170 PCB Layout single sided

Page 5 of 5    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:27pm 14 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cliff,

A good effort there and very quick..

Just a suggestion, the screw jacks `usually/always" have Vee grooves so they can snap together BEFORE you solder them in.. This creates a neat row of strips and also makes the solder joints stronger as the entire strip assembly tends to share the load when they are screwed in or out..

Regards,

Mick

PS. If you want a cap I can send you a SMD version.

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

centrex

Guru

Posted: 06:36pm 14 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick
That would be terrific if you can send the chip.
Yes I know they can clip together usually, the ones I have dont want to play the game.

Regards
Cliff
Cliff

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:43pm 14 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cliff,

They usually are `difficult' you slide them in VERTICALLY and they are often tight, you need some force..

Anyway I have your address so I will pop a couple of caps in the post for you.. These are 47uF 6v3 Low ESR 3228 or maybe 1216 packages I have both types I will see what I dig up, I think the 1216 might be easier to fit under the PCB without fouling the adjacent pins as it is skinnier.

Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:46pm 14 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, that was fast. Can't wait, eh?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:06pm 16 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Gday Grogster,

Give http://www.shenzhen2u.com a go.

I used them for my, soon to be announced, MuP-Mini. I had the prototype done with them and some spacings were below their spec of 0.006" (I had 0.004" for my solder short pads) and they did a great job.

Hi Mick and others.

I have just ordered 10 panels of the board, which will give me 4 boards per panel, thus 40 boards. I figured I should give these guys a go, so we'll see how they get on and how long it takes to get here. I chose DHL shipping, which was US$38, but being that I run my own small business, I just can't be bothered waiting forever on standard post. 99% of everything I get in Internationally, is via DHL or FedEx, so the timer starts today, and we'll see when they get here!

centrex

Guru

Posted: 09:25pm 17 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bigmick and Grogster.
Bigmick the caps arrived, thanks.
Grogster the board is working just flashing a led, the 5 volt reg gets fairly warm @ 12V with no heatsink @ 9 volts barely warm.
All good
Thanks to you both.
Regards
Cliff
Cliff

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:45am 18 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My Pleasure Cliff

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 07:56pm 21 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

wow, you guys have been busy while i was on holiday! all very impressive.

my one suggestion (given that PCBs are already being made) is that for the next lot consider replacing the 3v3 track that runs the full length under the MX170 with a wire link, so that all the ground pins can link together closely.

centrex: it could be your terminals are 5mm pin pitch, not 5.08mm (0.2"), which would make it hard to lock a whole row together if fitting on a 0.2" pitch. i believe that both variety are commonly available, though don't know which are more common.

cheers,
rob :-)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:11pm 21 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bollocks - I just KNEW I would miss something. You did say about that too, but it went in one ear and out the other.

Let's assume and hope that there won't be any ground-loops of any significance. This kind of thing is not so much of an issue, if you are using double-sided.Edited by Grogster 2014-11-23

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:24am 25 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got email from Shenzhen with photos - boards have been sent via DHL.
8 Days production time, now we'll see how long it takes for them to get here.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs,

It will be interesting to see how much quicker the extra cost Of DHL is over `slow boat from China Post' is.

My 3rd order is now 15days since shipping.. (first order was 14days, the second 16days)

Mick

EDIT**

Can you share the link for the Photo?

MikEdited by bigmik 2014-11-27

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:50pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick.

Yeah, I always prefer DHL/FedEx etc.

MUCH more expensive, yes, but fully tracked and gets to you very quickly.
A case of you get what you pay for, I guess.

Here is the link to the photos.

I DO like the Shenzhen photos of the boards, and automated email of the DHL tracking number.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Grogs,

The boards look great although they need to be cut to separate them.

I think next time you do them let me do a GERBER print like the last one and they should vee groove it for you.

Yes Agree with DHL, my older PCB Fab house used DHL/EMS/FEDEX and they were cheap at $15 but still could take 6 or 7 days before they arrived in my hands and if no-one was home when they were delivered I was a merry dance organising a pickup/re-deliver.

With the Snail mail (from Shenzhen) it seems to be a bit over 2 weeks but if you are not home they are left on the door step. $9.30 cost..

I am `so far' very pleased with Shenzhen Price wise they cannot be beaten and quality has been as good or better than other companies. Plus they dont baulk at multi boards per panel.. (dont pay to separate them, just let them vee groove)..

They have strange pricing though, 20 PCBs are $36 compared to $12 for 10 PCBs.. SO buy in lots of 10, could probably do 2 lots of 10 and have similar postage costs.

Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:54pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re: V-grooving - yes, you did offer to do that, but I forgot. I will remember for next time and PM you. As for this batch, cutting them up is no problem - I have a PCB saw I built years ago, and a disc sander. Cut and sand back to the line - done.

Anyone who wants any can PM me, and I can supply either cut up or as a small panel of four you have to cut up yourself.

US$5 per board + shipping. Includes the three SMD parts pre-fitted, so it's all thru-hole construction.(builder must source all the parts - this is just the blank PCB)

I used to avoid SMD(any SMD) like the plague for years, but once I started doing it, it was not that much of a problem. I wish those of us who do SMD, could encourage those who have not done any, to try it, cos once you get the hang of it, it allows so much more felxibility in layout design and compactness....

Yo do need very fine solder, SMD flux and a magnifying loupe as a minimum, but many already have those. I prefer that gel flux, as it helps hold the part in place while you solder it.

But I digress - again...

palcal

Guru

Posted: 03:53pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Grogster
I fully agree re SMD, I thought my hobby electronics days would come to an end, but I gave it a go and really its no worse than through hole. I try to stick with 8503 and 1206. I do need help with my ageing eyes, I have a binocular microscope, but usually get away with my magnifier.
Paul.

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 27 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know what you mean !re eyesight !!I found that looking through a pinhole helps , a bit awkward though...Now I have some foil on my glasses with a horizontal slit to look through - it gives a line of readable text - otherwise ithas to be xhite text on a black background and dim light..soldering will have to wait until it is fixed though.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:24pm 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Expandamite SS boards are here.

That was 2 weeks and 2 days to my door, from ordering.

Not bad.

Silkscreen is inferior to that of Itead, but it is OK, and at the price you pay at Shenzhen, this is not a criticism of mine, more of just an observation.

Etch and soldermask are fine though.

Like I said - for the price.........

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:41pm 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs, All,

Grogster said  That was 2 weeks and 2 days to my door, from ordering.

So that really means delivery took about 8 days to get the boards in your hands via EMS/DHL couriers?

The 3 lots of boards I have bought so far from Shenzhen have been 14, 16 and 19 days for the delivery ON TOP of 5-7days for the `standard' manufacture..

Seeing the freight is roughly 1 week quicker and the cost $9.30US compared to about $38US for DHL/EMS I think I would generally pick the Standard post.. unless I was desperate.

I will check my boards more closely when I get home but I dont think there was any problem with silk screen registration. Also I am more than happy with the quality of the silk screen overlay. The text on my MuP-Mini gets down to 1mm in size and its still quite legible.

Regards,

Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:46pm 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick.

Next boards I oder will be after Christmas(to avoid the global Christmas postage delays), and I will try standard airmail and compare the two.

It's a law of averages though, as one time standard airmail might be quite fast, and another time, quite slow, so I suppose it is actually pretty hard to accurately compare things like this!

As to the silkscreen, that might have been the camera image - we'll wait and see what the VideoMite boards look like when they get here, as that was the image that looked like it was not right registration wise.

These Expandamite boards' silkscreen registration is fine.

Page 5 of 5    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024