Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:34 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Special "Back Shed" offer on Autotrax DEX

Page 1 of 6    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:23pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have asked Iliya (author and owner of AutoTrax DEX) PCB Design explorer if he would like to make an offer to members of the Back Shed and he has responded.

Purchase offer HERE!!

I can fully recommend this program to anybody who is thinking of designing their own PCBs. It is a FULL package and includes a schematic editor and a 3D visualisation as well. Iliya is always improving this great program, in fact he is currently improving the 3D to be more photo realistic using OpenGL. To give you a couple of examples of what it can do here is a link to a video clip of the difference between standard 3D and OpenGL.. The demo happens to be of my new board that is currently sitting in the cargo hold of the slowest boat from China.

3D Demo of OpenGL

Here are a couple of 3D snap shots of the same board.

Anyway this offer is only on until April 30th so get in whilst the offer is there..

Kind Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:36pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting Mick, I currently use Eagle and I badly need to get off it.

Three questions:
- In the schematic editor does it insist on using European symbols or can it use US symbols like zig zag resistors.
- Does it come with a library of footprint and outlines? Is it an extensive library? Are there libraries on the net that can be used?
- Is the autorouter any good?

None are deal breakers and I can live with a No.

Geoff
P.S. I like the look of your new board.Edited by Geoffg 2016-04-26
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:21pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff, All,

Geoffg said   Three questions:
- In the schematic editor does it insist on using European symbols or can it use US symbols like zig zag resistors.
- Does it come with a library of footprint and outlines? Is it an extensive library? Are there libraries on the net that can be used?
- Is the autorouter any good?

1. You can chose from a wide variety of symbols.

This screen shot shows the `Parts Ribbon' that I cut in 3 to fit the TBS screen. You will note the standard resistors with the zigzag is in there, When you add it you can then select the size, type and value etc of the part that you add to the schematic.

2. Yes it comes with a library of about 110,000 parts however I often redo my own parts as this library has been gathered over many years and most have plain boxes for the overlay where I prefer a circle or D shape as in a TO-92 transistor.. But editting and creating your own parts is fairly easy and straight forward with wizard to do some of the harder things.

The 3D is going through a major overhaul at the moment and a future version (free download with your 12mth download subscription) is going to have many 1000's of different 3D parts to drag in if you want to add to your design..

3. The earlier versions of DEX were pretty lame in the autorouter department but that has been dropped, for now, in favour of an ELECTRA interface. Currently ELECTRA is pretty costly for the full package but they have a free package that needs to be updated every 100 days (still free but that is the terms of the license) that is in built into Autotrax Dex that will allow up to (I think) 250 holes which for just about all of my boards is perfectly OK. The ELECTRA router is actually quite good but I do have to straighten some tracks about at times (is seems to occasionally do a 90deg bend which I don't like I prefer 45deg.)

All in all I think it is a decent package especially for the price it is being offered at.

The licensing is a yearly fee ONLY if you want to get later versions.. Basically that means that after the 12 months you can still use any version that you like up to the date of your update expiry.. You only need to pay if you want further updated versions.

DEX has an Import of eagle Libraries and PCBs (and I think schematics) so you can load in an existing eagle design and it will convert to AutoTrax DEX format for you.

If you make a major stuff up in your design, it is easy to get back to an earlier version as DEX saves your project after EVERY change you make into a backup directory, so you can just go pick the date/time of a file you know was before your mistake and carry on again from there. This is because the project files are very small (my Serial BackPack example is only 87kB) if these backups are starting to build up you can just go and delete earlier ones if you like but I have never had to do that.

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:25pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

There is an active forum for AutoTrax DEX on line..
You have to sign up (to the forum NOT buy DEX) to be able to read the messages but you will get an idea as to what is happening and the sort of support you can get from others and the author and forthcoming new features.

AutoTrax DEX Forum

Kind Regards,

Mick

redrok

Posted: 06:19pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi bigmik;

Can I specify exact line width or shapes?
I need to do some 50 and 75 and 100 ohm transmission lines for RF things
like Hybrids and power splinters.

redrok

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:03pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tried to register for the forum but you need an invitation code ??
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:08pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Redrok,

I am not 100% sure of the details of your question. I have no idea what hybrids and splitters are, so I will answer as best I can.

All track widths are resizeable. I generally set my default track size for 0.015" wide then set a net width for GND and Vcc and any others that I want wider (or smaller). You have generally full control over how your tracks are shaped along straight lines but I do not think it will do a curved track (it will curve bends but I think that is not what you mean).

You can add shapes to your copper and indeed any layer..

I am not certain if it can do matched pair tracking, there was some discussion on that subject in the forum but I didnt really read through to see what the answer is to that.

You can make a PCB board in any shape you like, they can be round or any weird shape imaginable. Same as holes/cut-outs.

It will even do Jumper wires, for instance if after pulling out your hair and not routing that last track you can jump across the area you cannot route past and it will put the pads to solder to and draw a line on the silk overlay showing where the line will go, a neat feature I haven't yet needed to use.

I think it supports unlimitted layers, and of course there are no restrictions on the size of the board (except what ELECTRA chooses to impose on you) but of course you can always manually route.

If the answer you want isnt there please re ask and I will endeavor to get an answer for you or you can join the forum and ask it yourself.

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:15pm 24 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,

palcal said   Tried to register for the forum but you need an invitation code ??
Paul.

OK, That's a new one to me.. I signed up when it was a YAHOO forum and got transferred when he made it an `in-house' forum.

I have asked the question and hopefully will have an answer for you soon.

Kind Regards,

Mick

redrok

Posted: 03:45am 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Hi Redrok,

I am not 100% sure of the details of your question. I have no idea what hybrids and splitters are, so I will answer as best I can.

All track widths are resizable. I generally set my default track size for 0.015" wide then set a net width for GND and Vcc and any others that I want wider (or smaller). You have generally full control over how your tracks are shaped along straight lines but I do not think it will do a curved track (it will curve bends but I think that is not what you mean).

You can add shapes to your copper and indeed any layer..
It looks like the shape function can possibly do it.
  Quote  I am not certain if it can do matched pair tracking, there was some discussion on that subject in the forum but I didnt really read through to see what the answer is to that.
Kind Regards,
Mick
Things like these:

The dimensions of these shapes can be complicated.
I suspect that instead of using interconnect lines, a new component "Pad" could be made with all the cuts, angles, and dimensions.

Anyway, I do need a new circuit layout program. My old "Electronica Workbench v5.6", while useful, is clunky and hard to use.

redrok

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 10:11am 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmm. Interesting.

Can DEX import Gerber files?
Will the Electra autorouter still be functional after the year is up?

Devil's advocate:
Why should I buy this instead of using KiCAD which is free? Or should I just stay with SprintLayout that I currently use? (And CAN import Gerbers.)
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Mik...
  Quote  I have asked Iliya (author and owner of AutoTrax DEX) PCB Design explorer if he would like to make an offer to members of the Back Shed and he has responded.

As it happens, I paid the $29 for the year of updates a few days ago..
So, I thik I missed out...

Whats the difference with the $99 update package... Is it a "permanent" upgrade that never expires...?

I wonder if I could E-mail Iliya and see if I could just pay the difference...

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Redrok,

Iliya, the author, has sent me these answers for you..

From Iliya:

Part answer to topic on your forum.
DEX works in floating point numbers.
You can enter exact numbers.
Use graphics for exact shapes – these will be exact in Gerber files with sharp corners etc.
Construction

See attached projects.

This is a usable part – see attached project.

1. Copy and paste image from site, made it semi-transparent and locked it.

2. Turned snaps off.

3. Added horizontal and angled guides.

4. Turned snap to guides on.

5. Added 1 polygon at the top using guides to snap corners.
6. Copied and pasted polygon.
7. Rotated copy 180 degrees by pressing space bar twice.
8. Moved copy into position.
9. Delete guides.
10. Unlock and delete image.
11. Added 4 pads.
12. Rebuilt symbol and tidy up.
13. Save and use!

Regards

Iliya Kovac

2016-04-25_220650_project.zip

Mick Back Again:

Iliya, Obviously understood what you needed (I am still a bit in the dark) anyway the Zip has the parts that he has created as well as the Part for the Chamfered Angle.

Hopefully that answers your question.

I also must say that Iliya has always been there and prompt with his help when people are stuck. He does offer a part creation service, however I do not know if there is a fee for that, best to email him if/when you require that service.

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:17pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Paul, All,

palcal said   Tried to register for the forum but you need an invitation code ??
Paul.

Iliya has removed the invite code so you should now be free to join the Forum.

http://www.forum.kov.com/ .

Kind Regards,

Mick

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:26pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Redrock is creating tuned circuits which consist of exact sized sections of copper and not much else.

Very useful for high frequency amplifiers and oscillators etc.
Being able to do that in DEX will make life a lot easier.

@Zonker
$99 is the usual price for the first year with $49 for renewals

Renewals are often available for $29 and there is the occasional discount from the $99 for the initial purchase.
$39 is the best offer I have seen for a new user.

Whichever way you go, you end up with the same software until your subscription runs out.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

redrok

Posted: 01:04pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi bigmik;

Perfect, everything I need.

redrok

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:22pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay VegiPete,

vegipete said  
Can DEX import Gerber files?
Will the Electra autorouter still be functional after the year is up?

Devil's advocate:
Why should I buy this instead of using KiCAD which is free? Or should I just stay with SprintLayout that I currently use? (And CAN import Gerbers.)

DEX used to have an import Gerber (I believe) but it had limitations and I think that function has been removed due to inconsistencies in `gerber' interpretations of all the different packages out there. I stand to be corrected though.

The ELECTRA autorouter is NOT a DEX product and I suppose that ELECTRA `could' cease offering it at their whim. On the other hand they obviously want to have a foot in the door and it is a way to advertise their product. Iliya has not given up the autorouter for DEX but he has been concentrating his efforts on improving other areas (at this moment 3D is the go) of DEX. Many people prefer to route their own boards any way and this option, of course, is always available..

Why should you buy over free versions of other programs? I cannot honestly answer that as I have no knowledge of how those other programs work and what they can and cannot do. Most freebies have limits to the size of the board and No. of layers etc (not to say that KiCad and Sprint have that limitation) All I can say is that I use DEX and I really like the way it works. Am I an expert when it comes to PCB design? No I am NOT!. I have been designing boards since around 1980 when we used to have `letraset' style double sized foot prints that we stuck down to clear plastic sheet and then photo-reduced down to a 1:1 negative and got the boards produced from that master. I then went and use Protel 99se for over 10 years (That was what my company bought and was their PCB package so it was what I used) After windows 7 came out Protel was not compatible with the new file system and I had to move.. I chose Autotrax DEX and I have been very happy with it. I am not a full time PCB designer it is now my hobby and there is little need for work these days, but occasionally I do the odd board for them.

I approached Iliya to ask if he wanted to make an offer to TBS members and he has. There is no compulsion to use Autotrax but if you want the offer is there until 30April (UK times).

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:34pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Zonker,

As TassieJim has mentioned, Sometimes DEX is available for a reduced price of $49, at the moment the price is currently $99US. This $39 offer is the cheapest I have ever seen for a new (original) license and currently offers a full $60 off. The last time I renewed, the renewal fee was $29 which I gladly paid, what it is now I can only presume as Zonker just paid $29 and the new price is $99 that renewal is $29. It makes sense to keep your customer base and offer a reduced renewal fee.

All that aside I am NOT affiliated with Autotrax DEX, I do NOT get any kickbacks from people taking up this offer, I am NOT an expert with AutoTrax DEX, I AM just a user who asked the author if he would make an offer available and he obliged.

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:49pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ RedRok,

The images lost a fair bit of detail when I added them (the first image shows your guidelines added but are almost impossible to see in the TBS reduced image format.. so I have added all of the images to these ZIP files for you. 2 ZIPS to keep under the 500kB size limits of TBS.

2016-04-25_234805_Images.zip
2016-04-25_234854_Images_2.zip

Kind Regards,

Mick

plover

Guru

Posted: 05:05pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As I understand it DEX runs under Windows. As I have changed to the Linux arena and some years ago went looking for pcb software for Linux and found KiCad, though even for Hobby use it was just a bit too short of Protel 99 so I lost interest.

I have however recently had another look and found that it was actually part of my PCLinuxOS repository so I have installed it and thinking about getting back into pcb work, though I am not too keen as it does take a lot of time. The capabilities are now far more than when I first looked at KiCad.

How well it stacks up against DEX I don't know. So if you are a linux fan perhaps that would be one reason to pick it. (Apart from the price)

Of course one can also try to run wine/windows programs under linux etc but I would like to keep it as simple as possible and not mix OS, that is one of my guidelines.

I have however made exception for a couple of small programs which were just too good to give up.

If I was starting out the battle making pcb for hobby use, I think that DEX would be very high on the list.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 05:06pm 25 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick,
i am quite tempted.

i've used protel before, both the old dos version and the successor to 99SE (altium designer 2003?). i have only briefly used 99SE. how would you compare DEX to protel 99SE in terms of transitioning from one to the other?

cheers,
rob :-)

Page 1 of 6    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024