Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:23 21 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : PCB Manufacturing : How to build a PCB design using Autotrax

Page 1 of 2    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:56pm 21 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have had many people ask me basic questions about Autotrax and how to get started so I have created this thread to post a document that is still in the making called "Creating a PCB"

The document can be found in The Back Shed's Document library

Located HERE

Feel free to comment and criticise Please try to be easy on me I am a tender soul,

Just realise it is NOT a professional document and not written by the author or indeed an expert on all things DEX.. But I am trying to get a useful help text out there for those starting out with AutoTrax DEX.

Also the document is only at this stage PART 1 - Laying out the schematic.

I plan other parts including.
Designing the PCB
Viewing/Editing the 3D
Having some `Fun'

Kind Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-05-23
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 22 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

As the document is only part way completed, I haven't yet put the Original `Geoff's' SCHEMATIC into APPENDIX A as I intended to do..

Here is the original Schematic as posted by Geoff Graham that will be in APPENDIX A when I get to that stage.

2016-05-22_231946_Schematic.pdf

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 04:06am 23 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well,

At least someone is observant, I mention a few parts in the design example and forgot to link to them..

Here they are in a ZIP format.

2016-05-23_140640_Parts_for_Demo_Project.zip

Kind Regards,

Mick

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 09:05am 24 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick,

A while back I changed the Dex menus to the old style menus, but for your tutorial I will reset it back to the ribbon style... Which ribbon style are you using?

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:40am 24 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Curtis,

I have always used the default which is/was Office 2007.

Kind Regards,

Mick

PS. I have almost completed the PCB section of my document.

Mik

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 04:13pm 24 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mick!

Why does your trimpot part have a 'U' designation instead of a 'R' designation? When I place the part I get 'U', and your tutorial initial diagrams show the 'U' part reference but later it's changed to 'R'.

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

paceman
Guru

Posted: 05:13pm 24 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,
Just read your tutorial so far - it looks great. I'd been waiting for Gizmo's library to be set up and hadn't realized he'd already done it until I saw your link on this thread. Do you know if he put a post on the main Micro forum about it being live - I don't think I've seen one and I can't see one on this forum? I think it needs to be given a good advertising.

Greg

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 07:27pm 24 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Curt,

That is a carry over from a conversion I did (months ago) of a part that existed that had U as the default, I changed the designator in the schematic but not the properties of the designator.

Here is the corrected part with R..

2016-05-25_052047_TRIMPOT_mik.zip

When I create a part I always first look in the existing library for one that has a schematic that looks like what I want and then edit the footprint, silkscreen and 3D to suit me.. I obviously overlooked the U when you select properties on the part designator.. Not a big deal and you can change them on the fly.

@Greg,

The Document library is not really released yet however Glenn has said it was OK for me to link to it, I have been assigned as an editor, along with a few others. I hope to eventually get all of my documents online there. At this stage there is little there but I hope it grows soon.

@All,

I have written the Document to get to a stage of creating the PCB (fully routed). I will upload it soon to the doc lib after I proof read it again.
It still is not complete as I am up to the stage of cleaning up the route and silkscreen, then will be the 3D view then will be a bit of FUN!! Well that is the plan.

Stay tuned.

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:53pm 24 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have done some more edits to the Document, It is now up to the stage where the PCB is routed..

The next step will be cleaning up the route, error checking and Silk screen overlays.

Normally I wouldn't release this until it was complete but as there have been a fair number of TBSers who just recently bought in I am trying to rush it out, unfortunately this means releasing it in in stages.

As per usual, I am happy to field questions, accept praise or be criticised but please take it easy as I am not a professional writer and I am doing this on my own bat.

the latest document can be found Document is HERE !!!!

Kind Regards,

Mick

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 04:19pm 25 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mick,

Found an error on page 12... Your docs indicates the 14 pin header should be positioned at 7.518, 21.36. The correct position I believe is 7.518, 2.13599 (2.136) as shown in your your screen shot.

--Curtis

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:39pm 25 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Curtis,

I am sure there will be many more before this manual is done and dusted..

I have done a considerable bit more today and if I get the next part finished I will post the update..

Kind Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 28 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

OK, I have finally finished the document.

I am sure there will still be a few minor errors or omissions.
Please let me know of any problems that you find.

This version is Ver 1.2 29-May-16.

The link to all of the project material is TBS Doc-Register

This contains

"Creating a PCB.PDF" (Contains the document)

"Demo.ZIP" (contains the Project completed)

"Parts Used.ZIP" (contains the parts used- FIXED)

The Parts I posted earlier had a few errors (minor) but they have all been fixed and included in the DocRegister for download.

Kind Regards,

Mick

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:55pm 29 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What a BRILLIANT guide!

Thanks so much for this document - it helps resolve many things I was slowly working through. And to include so much of DEX's functionality with your example is very useful indeed.

Got a feeling this will be my 'night-time' exercise for the next few nights!

Thanks again Mick - will feedback any queries over the coming days/nights

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 08:54am 30 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Indeed, thank you very much for that guide. I've been playing with DEX a bit and your guide has answered a few questions.

I still have a few questions about track widths.

When you hover the mouse over a wire in the schematic, a hint pops up with some data, including the track width of that particular wire. How can that width be changed on the schematic on a wire by wire basis?

How can you change the width of tracks in PCB layout mode on a section by section basis, not an entire net basis? (Typically I like to make my power traces very thick near the power source, such as the regulator, and get progressively thinner as the tracks radiate out and branch to different sections.)
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:05pm 30 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@WW,

Thank you for the kind comments.. I appreciate them.

@VegiPete,

OK In the Schematic, To change the widths of the TRACKS on the PCB do the following:

Have the Properties panel pinned.
Right click on a `wire' in question.

Brings up this in the properties panel. This will set the width of EVERY track on that selected NET on the PCB only!

If you want to change the look (Colour or width) in the Schematic in the properties panel (probably collapsed - Use the chevrons to expand it) you will see this section. You can set the Wire width and colour and few other settings.

Now, In the PCB work sheet, we have some settings for the PCB only.
With the properties panel pinned, click on a section of a track you wish to change its width. Brings up this section n the Properties panel.

Note there are 3 WIDTHS to play with..

The NET width sets EVERY section of EVERY track on that selected NET. Great for setting a power line's default width.. This is the same as the first selection I mentioned in the SCHEMATIC work sheet.

The TRACK width sets EVERY section of the selected track between 2 points (ie. pads, or other tracks) so this could set 4 or 5 segments of track at the same time.

The SEGMENT width sets ONLY the selected segment(s) - You can select several SEGMENTS of track by holding down the Crtrl button.

So in your case of fattening up nearer the power input, use either TRACK or SEGMENT widths.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2016-05-31

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:23pm 30 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have added a short 1 minute video clip (created by Iliya- Author of AutoTRAX DEX) in the Doc Register.

It is listed in the main Doc Register link above but you can direct download it from HERE!!!

Please note that I had to ZIP this file up to abide by Gizmo's site rules for the Doc Register file types, so download it and unZIP it to watch..

If you have purchased DEX of course you can do this live by using the project file I have already included in the Register.

Kind Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-05-31

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:44am 07 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Iliya, The Bloke who wrote AutoTRAX DEX, has created an ONLINE and ePUB version of the manual I wrote and is hosting them on his site.

They can be found HERE!!!!

Now we have it in 3 formats, (PDF, ePUB and ONLINE-HTTL).. Now if I got $1 for each copy I will be rich ..... or maybe I could buy a beer!!!

Only kidding, I did it for the love of it I do not want any reward for it at all.

Kind Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-06-08

paceman
Guru

Posted: 07:25pm 08 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great stuff Mick, and well deserved. You're going to be famous.

Greg

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 07:32pm 27 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,
Great guide.
Thanks
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 07:50pm 29 Jun 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Greg and Gerry,

I don't know about famous but I am happy if it helps someone. I know I wish something like this existed when I first bought DEX.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024