Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:49 19 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Old Dunlite Wind Generator

Page 1 of 4    
b351267

Posted: 08:52am 08 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can anybody help me identify the model and votage of my Dunlite Wind Generator. The only information I have is the serial number 10326, the field resistance 50 ohms and the armature resistance measured bettween the two brushes 13 ohms. I have had it for over 30 years and when I bought it I was told it was a 48 volt ex PMG (now called Telstra) but I would really like to confirm this before I try to put it into service. I think it coud be either a model L or M. I was even able to buy 3 brand new blades off Dunlite back in the 70's but they could not help me with any other information. I am hoping it is a 48 volt model.
Don

There is always a 'Plan B'.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:12am 08 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do you have a photo.

There was a thread a few weeks ago on dunlite generators.

One of the links posted there had some information

Link here.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

b351267

Posted: 09:39am 08 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   Do you have a photo.

There was a thread a few weeks ago on dunlite generators.

One of the links posted there had some information

Link here.

Pete.

Don

b351267

Posted: 09:45am 08 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the quick reply, here is a picture, I have seen the link you mention but although it is a very good archive of information, it not help me indentify my machine.
Don

Bergen

Posted: 11:53am 09 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is either a L or M. To tell, you need to work out the gear ratio to tell. I do have a copy of the manual if you want a photo copy. If it did come from PMG, it will most definitely be 48v. Other than running it, its not easy to tell the voltage otherwise.
Wind powers my house

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:38pm 09 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lets see the brand new blades from the 70's
Luck favours the well prepared

Notdemocracy

Posted: 02:51am 10 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I also have a Dunlite Ex PMG Wind Generator. It is a 48 Volt unit but has 4 blades to it. It's History is that 22 years ago it was removed from the Telephone exchange that it powered (remote location, off the grid) and it fell damaging the blades. The entire unit was overhauled and a new set of blades was supplied as well as a new hub. I purchased this unit from a chap that was not on the grid and had purchased it 21 years ago with the intention of putting it up. He sold it to me 1 year ago when he connected to the grid. At that time he told me it was un-usual in that it had 4 blades and not 3. He also said there were a small number of 4 blade units made for lower wind areas. The generator looks like the one in the photo and it seems in excellent condition. If you want I can get the old Fluke out and make some measurements for comparison?

b351267

Posted: 03:35am 10 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

James, The gear ratio as near as I can tell is 3.5:1

Karl, Picture attached of the new blades as requested still in their wooden crate , they cost me $265.00 in 1980.

John, Please give me the resistance measurments for the field windings and between the two brushes. I was really hoping someone would offer to to do this.

Don

b351267

Posted: 03:42am 10 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Picture of new Dunlite blades still in their wooden crate,

Don

Notdemocracy

Posted: 06:26am 10 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don, I took the cover off and measured only 1 ohm on the brushes in contact. I then lifted 1 brush and read 30 Ohms brush to brush. Measuring the red and black wires on the terminal block between the brushes (with both brushes in contact it read 30 Ohms. Any help to you? If you want me to make further readings just ask.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:34am 10 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

wow, thats three ? dunlites in as many weeks we've uncovered, thats almost enough to have a convention!

BTW Notdemocracy dare we ask how much? sound like a ripper find.

Darren

Posted: 02:21pm 10 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Don I have a old Dunlite as well that Iam giving a birthday to and I see you have some red bob weights in that crate.
Could you do me a big favor and take some measurements of them Iam missing these parts.
A weight would also be helpful.
Thanks
Darren

neil0mac

Posted: 06:00am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ said   wow, thats three ? dunlites in as many weeks we've uncovered, thats almost enough to have a convention!

BTW Notdemocracy dare we ask how much? sound like a ripper find.

Make it five!

I had a friend in today with one he picked up in S.A a month or so ago - with a gearbox that 'weighs a ton'.

Actually he was in Adelaide looking for a 'Hannan' (spelling?) wind generator that was designed by his grandfather.

Anyone know one of these is available? The bloke who had a number of them down there sold them to someone in Vic not so long ago.Edited by neil0mac 2010-02-12

neil0mac

Posted: 06:11am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

.....Edited by neil0mac 2010-02-12

b351267

Posted: 06:27am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Darren, Attached a drawing of one of the bob weights, you will have to make a mould for the lead somehow. In return could you do some resistance measurments on your machine for me, please measure the field winding(s) resistance and also between the two brushes in contact with the commutator. Do you also know the model and voltage of your machine?

Don

Notdemocracy

Posted: 07:36am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Karlj. It cost me $210.00 on ebay and $100 in fuel to go get it. At the time there was not much interest as most people in the Far South Coast of NSW seem to have either 12 or 24 Volt Systems and the Windmill was strictly "pick up only". His loss, My gain.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 08:20am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd make that a huge bargain!
good work, lets see it in the air please.
These treasures deserve better than the corner of the garage.

Notdemocracy

Posted: 08:29am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don. Just looked into my notes and I bought a 750 Watt unit so the readings might be out with regards to yours. A friend who looked at it said my unit was physically the same as the larger unit but with different windings and he said they were good for over 1 kw. (over engineered, I guess.) Keep going, with the units turning up you should get the answers you need.

Notdemocracy

Posted: 09:02am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ. It will be a month or two before it goes up. Have Just installed A pole for it (large tree trunk and was very difficult for the backhoe that errected it). Was thinking on how to test it. I have a engine with a reduction gearbox and I figured if I put a pulley where the blade mount hub is (tapered shaft) I can run it and test it's output. Take a week or two before I do this but I'll post results if anyone is interested. John.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:12am 11 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yeah we're interested...

nuts in fact

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024