Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:11 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Off topic archive. : wet season

Page 1 of 3    
windlight
Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow I keep looking at the rain radar, BOM recon the monsoonal trough will hit us in the next few days, looks true. Glad I went to town today, 3 bottles of scotch oh and some food so I should be OK for three weeks.

Crossing the range is a bit scary when the windscreen mists up, on the outside, that's when you know you are in the clouds.

If the green frogs are any guide we are in for much rain, bring it on I say, anybody have a good use for frogs legs? Cane toads need not apply!

A of J
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:24pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Allan

Is that a typo 3 bottles for 3 weeks or was it 3 days?

I look at how high the ants build their nest cones that is more accurate than BOM.
Snake ate the green frogs and a toad then died in the garden, Kookaburra took it away and appears to be still going, so not a good indicator of weather, to many variables.

Bob
Foolin Around

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:51pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since moving to Toowoomba from Mackay, I can say I dont miss the summer heat, but I do miss the rain. It rains here, but not like the tropics. In Mackay you could get 4 to 8 inches in a night! The most I saw at my place was 13 inches in 8 hours. And I miss the chorus of frogs trying to get lucky. And the smell of damp.

But I dont miss the heat

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:59pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

You have a good spot there and the rain is enough to keep the grass green and you won't get washed away, as long as it keeps your crik running things are good.

Bob
Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 08:47pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A of J trust you will share some of that liquid sunshine with us dry inlanders, would like the dam full so as can get back to a monthly or maybe even a weekly bath. Otherwise we`ll have to come down that range for a bloody bath. Pheeew!
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

windlight
Guru

Posted: 09:35pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Only had 2¾" yesterday but a good start, the creek is up to the top of both pipes this morning which is good as it improves my natural spa down stream of the concrete spill.

It is not that high this morning but does show my natural spa as the water finally spills into the creak bed again.

If it gets too hot and humid I retreat into the air-conditioning, not saying it hasn't been hot, 34C last week but a fan seems to work wonders.

A of J

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

windlight
Guru

Posted: 11:11pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One of these happen every day.

My list of jobs is getting too long I may have to start doing more than one a day, I have not sprayed weeds for a while, alright quite a while.

Jo-Anne's weeds

And she keeps putting bloody rocks around things,

Not that I am without weeds,

In Woolworths yesterday apart from the young girls stealing toys I noticed the price of bananas is still down, and as it would seem so are mine, I guess this job jumps to the head of the list.

Yea I know the pick is a bit dark, it's early morning you all know the saying "only old dogs and English men go out in the midday sun" well midday is from 9 AM to 4 PM here.

The pashies are looking good but there is another task I can see.

And this pumpkin is looking OK but look at those weeds.

Chilli bush is good, hard to give that many away though

Mowing the grass has been on my list for a while and I just found another excuse not to do it, too much water laying around.

All this talk of work is a bit much, a cup or two is in order, green and black tea

May as well enjoy the scenery

And just for good measure

A of J

norcold

Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A bath in the garden of Eden, all you other inlanders out of the way I seen it first. One way on that range for a bit. Where`s the soap, Eve and my apple?Edited by norcold 2012-01-20
Vic

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:24pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your making me home sick A of J.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

windlight
Guru

Posted: 11:26pm 18 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is Eve for you Vic

Purchases an electric jug yesterday, just can't see the point in using gas to boil the billy when there is so much solar power available.

A of J

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:16am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dream Dream Dream

Hi Allan

I too am rethinking my gas situation as it is getting more expensive all the time, looking at an induction cook top as an alternative, I had a elcheepo one to try and it was amazing till it fell in the sink and couldn't swim. I also have a fan forced oven thing that appears to be very efficient, 40 min to cook a size 14 chook with average power usage of 500 watts that includes spuds and punkin as well.

The cost of a gas bottle is $135 now and if I use the small bottle it is $32, while this is reasonable the solar is there and can be used during the day with no added costs. Auto gas is cheaper but is inclined to smoke up the pots and pans a bit.

All the best

Bob

Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 02:46am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Keep away from her Bob she`s mine. Flogged our bus now trying to get my Eve.

Vic

norcold

Guru

Posted: 04:21am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jokes aside Re using 240v rather than gas to cook, Bob you mention a fan forced oven thing uses 500watts average cooks chook in 40 mins. Have you more info on this, sounds what I`m looking for. There is such a thing advertised 17litre but uses 1400watt(could be continuous draw) is this your thing.
Vic

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 05:23am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Vic

I think it is the same thing, mine hasn't got a wattage tag, but I put it on the watt meter and to cook the chook in 40 minutes it used 350 watts, once it heats up, it is closed and the fan circulates the heat and the element only comes on occasionally I believe the full on power would be high but it only runs less than one third of the time.

This is with a defrosted chook, a frozen one takes 15 minutes longer and would use the extra power. It also makes good cakes and bread once you burn a few to get it sorted out.

On the power consumption of things I found the electric kettle uses 38 watts to make 2 cups of coffee loaded with three cups of water, if the wife does it she fills it up and it uses 110 watts, and the toaster uses 33 watts to make two slices of toast (multigrain) and 45 watts for two slices of rye bread, so breakfast is a 100 watt event to cook.

The conventional oven I have has a 1200 watt element and takes 15 minutes to heat the oven then it cycles with element on about one third of the time depending on how often you open the door, to cook the same chook it uses 900 watts.

The little induction cooker did better but now dead, I will buy another, and think I might do a four plate range if I can get the wife to use it properly.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 05:59am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Vic

Should have kept the bus as it would take you where you want to go not where it wants to go, and less expensive to run and easier to to turn on and off too.

Bob
Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 07:48am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah you fellows mentioning gas usage has spurred me into looking at using 240 more for cooking as batteries float for 4 hours plus on a sunny day. Already use a microwave and toaster, will add to this now.
Sort of hijacked your thread a bit A of J but you won`t share your rain, although Eve sort of makes up a bit, I think!!!!!! Now what was the female of our species put here for?
Vic

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 09:40am 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now what was the female of our species put here for?

To cause distraction and brain damage, not to mention sever weight loss from the wallet. But ain't they FUN.

Bob
Foolin Around

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:36pm 19 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wife away the boys will play.

Alternate energy cooking.

Midday dump load.

Pancakes the easy way

Bob
Foolin Around

windlight
Guru

Posted: 07:11am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK Vic I am prepared to share my excess water with you, a bit too much in the yard

Then again a few too many logs in the creek

Then again I was swimming in this just 10 min. earlier

Cut off again

Grog supplies OK√

Just another day in FNQ

A of J

norcold

Guru

Posted: 08:14am 21 Jan 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bloody hell A of J your rubbing it in a bit now, we`ve been getting a bit and creek started running yesterday. Eve dropped the soap, annoyed me a bit as I had to get out of the creek, go up to the shed and get another cake. She was right pissed off when I got back. Just can`t please them eh!
Vic

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024