Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:11 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Stock Std Warpinverter

Page 17 of 17    
Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:44am 29 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These two pictures were taken at the same time with everything exactly the same, except the second picture has drive to the number four inverter plugged in.

Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 03:08am 29 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK here it is with all 4 hooked up.
It's still being fed by the restricted power supply.

I'll try it without the resistor on the supply next, then add capacitors.

To tie it in with neutral on the house I'll have to get another big plug that goes into the change over circuit.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 03:26am 29 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here it is without the resistor on the power supply. It's just being fed by a wire I got from an extension chord, so it's not capable of a really solid supply.

Next test will be to give it full power from the big battery, then add caps.

That will have to wait for another day.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:06am 29 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent progress Mark, very nice indeed !

All that furry stuff should go away, and quite probably those spikes as well, when you remove the resistor from the dc supply, and put the electrolytics back.

You can see a very nice clean sine wave hiding beneath all the fluff.
All your small steps appear to line up perfectly which means your transformer voltages (and turns counts) are spot on perfect.
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 07:00am 22 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Plug finally came from Czeck land.

Now I can hook it up and test it properly.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 06:13am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've read this entire thread several times and keep coming back hoping for updates.  

Any news for us Mark on how the new transformer performs compared to the original wind?

Thanks.

I did send a post earlier from my phone  ...  but it just came up "Fatal Error etc"

Pinched my lad's laptop to try again.
Cheers,  Roger

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 06:25am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am wondering too how this project has progressed.
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 07:31am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I went to wire it up a couple of months ago, and found I didn't have heavy enough 240v cable, so ordered that. It came in and I forgot about it again.

I did order two more caps for it though, but they came in just today bloody dented from digikey, Haven't heard back from them yet.

Might not be anything to worry about, but a bit pissed off after forking out $130

Stupid thing was they were packed really well, so it wasn't in transport, they packed up and sent me dented caps from the warehouse.
Both were dented in the same spot.
Must have been a good knock as you cant squeeze the sides of the can as hard as you try with your bare hands.

I'll get onto it one of these days.
Edited 2020-12-29 17:38 by renewableMark
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:52am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh that is a real bugger Mark. I am sure Digikey will do the right thing.

Haha, last time you were around here I told you I had no possums in my roof.

You looked at me, looked at my roof, and all the bulk possum poo scattered everywhere on my front path, and I knew what you were thinking.

Anyhow, cut down one large tree that overhung my roof, and all the possum poo disappeared.  Apparently they are very food fussy and came from somewhere else.
Now totally possum free, and loving it.
Cheers,  Tony.

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 08:02am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the update Mark. I sort of assumed your other setup was working fine  ...  so there was no urgency to finish this new one and it got put on the back burner.

Sorry to hear about the dented caps, that would be a bit annoying  ...  especially at the price they are.

For anyone else attempting a build  ...  is it possible that we could unwind some turns from the inside of the core and wind that on the outside.

I recall reading somewhere that others have done that for other reasons  ...  break free a spot weld or two, then unwind a few layers to open up the hole.

Then fit a 5 or 6mm insulator on the inside to keep the winding away from the core. Dunno if that would be another option.
Cheers,  Roger

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:45am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is enough room to do what I have done, it's just not easy.

If you open up the centre and add that to the outside the dynamics change, Warp will explain in a way that will confuse me, but it's not a great idea.

Also you'll never get it tight enough, and when they are made they get baked too, so basically you would Fk it up.
You can remove some, but adding it to the outside isn't feasible.

And yeah, the other machine is going nicely. The main worry was how the new inverter air con messed with the wave and made the nanoverter buzz like hell, the wave turned to chit, but on eco mode it works fine.

BUT I got a airfryer, well fkn well now that horrible buzz is back.

I bet that thing chops the wave in half like what a bloody hairdryer does Grrrrrrrrr.

SO, now I am a bit more motivated to finish it.

I have 4 other caps to use so they will be enough anyway, I just wanted to fill all the spots as otherwise I need different bolt set ups on the buss bars that hold the whole thing together, you would have to see it to know what I mean.
There are 6 power boards in the row.

Also after I get it going it doesn't have all the smarts the nano power board does so I'll have to build Macks control board that will do fans, low volt cutoff etc.
Having stand alone controls to do that isn't too big of a deal, but it's just another thing that distracts me.

Also I bought a new rifle and have been spending lots of time tweaking a good handload for it, (different powders, projectiles, seating depth etc) in between that I do gold prospecting, make grog, go kayak fishing, have a family and run a business. And when I tweak a nice load for my new rifle I'll go and waste a few deer, cut them up and carry them out of some god forsaken valley for 5km up a damn hill that Satan created with lots of loose rocks that 'll slip on and slice open my forehead.
Edited 2020-12-29 18:54 by renewableMark
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:54am 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you will  find that your new big bad inverter air conditioner will have much less effect on your Warpverter than it has on the PWM inverter.

No real problem running it with less than the full number of big caps either, but it will behave much better at full flat out max power with really nasty loads with all the caps fitted.
Cheers,  Tony.

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 01:51pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds like you keep busy Mark. That's quite a list of extracurricular activity.  

I was hoping my suggestion might work to make it easier to wind ... but looks like I might be out of luck.

Perhaps I should wind the smaller three before I attempt to do the big one to get some practice first.
Cheers,  Roger

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:29pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Roger, winding torroids isn't easy to get right. My first one was crap compared to what I can do now.
So yes, start with the smallest one.

Digikey are replacing the caps, they are letting me keep the old ones, but they copped such a knock I wouldn't dare use them.

That photo doesn't do it justice, if you see it in real life you'd think the same.

Tony you still used filters on the 240 output yeah?
Edited 2020-12-30 06:46 by renewableMark
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes I used a single EMI filter on the output of my Warpverter, simply because it was easy and its good practice anyway.  
To be honest I never had any electrical interferance problems anyway without the filter, so really it did nothing that I can see.

Anyhow the filter I used is a two stage filter with a particularly low cutoff frequency, and the part is known as CW4L2 and it comes with various current ratings from about 6 amps up to to 50 amps.

The one I use is CW4L2-20A,  its the 20 amp version.

I guess you would be wanting a CW4L2-30A which is the 30 amp version.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-phase-220V-AC-power-filter-terminal-block-wiring-two-stage-CW4L2-10A20A30/283908870824?hash=item421a4992a8:g:hlwAAOSwaXVe4EqB

Its symmetrical input to output, so it can be connected either way around.
Edited 2020-12-30 08:33 by Warpspeed
Cheers,  Tony.

Page 17 of 17    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024