Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:31 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Power jack mosfet board little

Page 1 of 5    
BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 09:25pm 25 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would like to be able to use 12 h y 4008
On the power jack main board

These little boards that screw onto the main board would have to be redesigned 4 the new mosfet

The little secondary heat sink would not be needed and the three holes above the mosfet could be used for the bigger mosfet they line up perfectly

So no drilling no tapping this little board would be a direct replacement and easily installed

I have no knowledge in this sort of thing

I'm hoping someone else becomes interested or I get enough tips to point me in the right direction

If I file was made of these little boards with the Hy 4008 I think a lot of people would use it

I think the resistor values would have to be changed

I really like how this board is laid out I just would like to have the bigger Style mosfets

Edited by BenandAmber 2019-06-27
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Madness

Guru

Posted: 10:32pm 25 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can buy a TO220 version of the HY4008 MOSFETs. .
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 12:52am 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Madness but I like the big ones

They have larger legs more surface area to dissipate Heat

Easier to solder and I also have a hundred of them already that doesn't hurt the matter any

I'm sure you're right though that would be a lot easier

I really need to find a free software that I can try to learn how to design this kind of stuff in

I don't own a computer I swore off of them about 10 years ago

The software kills me constantly changing bringing the bugs from the original along with it one build up on top of the other

I may have to find a computer in the garbage or a broken someone throwing out and fix it

Just for the purpose of learning how to work the design software for Designing PCB boards

Even if I learned how to do the software

I would probably have to have lots of help from others on here

I have found it takes a lifetime to even begin to learn most of the stuff

I am very slow to learn but do eventually get it from Pure determination

Edited by BenandAmber 2019-06-27

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 11:03am 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BenandAmber said  

I really need to find a free software that I can try to learn how to design this kind of stuff in

I don't own a computer I swore off of them about 10 years ago

I use a free PCB design software.
But it would be pointless if I did not have a computer to use it on. BTW, how do you post on this forum, on your phone??

Ben, I would suggest that learning to design a PCB involves a lot more knowledge than you are apparently in possession of, judging from your posts saying what you know on this subject.
Years of learning for what? modifying one PCB?

Perhaps you would be a lot better off accepting your PJ inverter as it is and concentrate your energy on completing those inverter boards you bought.
Just because somebody told you that HY4008's are better than the TO220 Mosfets you have factory installed does not mean they need changing.

I had my first inverter, using 8KW PJ type electronics looking very much like your heat sink assembly, run for a very long time without fault as it came supplied. And it still would work but I pinched the toroid out of it to re wind it for my warpinverter.

I dare say you will have enough problems getting it to run successfully without worrying about other projects.
Klaus

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 11:22am 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness said   You can buy a TO220 version of the HY4008 MOSFETs. .

Ben, that's a good bit of advice you got there.

But maybe concentrate on one project at a time, I know I have had plenty of issues in the past, funny looking back now at my silly questions, but we all start somewhere.

One thing you really need to prioritise is getting an oscilloscope.
You simply must have one, or access to one if you intend to build control and power boards.

No PC......... F!
Ordering parts on a phone would simply do my head in.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 05:04pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am officially looking for a free or dumpster dive computer along with scope

I truly hate computers not because of the computer itself

I've seen 15 year old computers run just as good as the day they were new

it's the software that gets corrupted or comes corrupted whichever way you want to look at it

As far as projects go

I like having several of them going on at the same time

cuz you're always waiting on something it's very slow going

The Madness board was going to go in the Power Jack case

but when it got here I found out it won't fit in a power jack and aluminum case

My own fault I didn't bother even asking the size

So now I'm back to using the Power jack board

Which is fine with me

I want all my inverters to run the same mosfets

that way I don't have to have several different parts for repair

Along with really liking these mosfets

Different Strokes for different folks

I just can't wrap my head around why would just want to have one project at a time tinyt

I'm working with a disability now is what makes it so hard

when I'm having a bad day I could watch the same movie three four times in a row

it would be brand new to me every single time

this is the disability that I'm working with

That's why me and Amber do this together

so I don't drive you guys as nuts asking the same thing over and over again

or not remembering the conversation I might have with you before

Of course I'm on here a lot more then Amber

but I tried to tell her everything I talked about or read Edited by BenandAmber 2019-06-28

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 05:45pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is more than just getting a inverter up and running

That goal has already been done for quite a while

Thanks to some really good people

I gave up for a long time but my dad had faith that I could get some of my abilities back

And he was right I'm a lot better off now than I was a few years back

But I need to stay busy and challenge myself

And I've made a few true friends along the way and found out not all people are bad

Some really good ones out there still yet

Yes you will find bad ones in the bunch that want to knock you down and kick you a little bit while you're there every single chance they get

But the pure-hearted good people makeup for all the bad ones

As far as Power Jack goes I just do not trust them

I have zero faith in them

Whether it be psychological or real it doesn't change that fact

I have a brand new one sitting here collecting dust

I really don't want to sell it to someone because if it blow up someone might think I've ripped them off

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet

The power jack that I am working on came as a 230 volt unit

230 volts does no good here in the United States

it is a 2014 model with a aluminum case

Edited by BenandAmber 2019-06-28

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 07:13pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ben,

Look into chromebooks - they are lightweight and good enough for what we do. You can even cast the screen to your TV if you wanted to.

That's what I have to do at home unless I really need to focus on a small section of what I am reading.

KiCAD is really awesome. There's a plugin called SkIDL where you can directly write code and have it output a PCB but we can try it later after we have tried the traditional route. Schematics are hard for me just because of my vision.

We can learn it together! I was planning on learning it anyways to help you design the PJ power boards

Madness

Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Used windows computers are as common as and very easy to get used ones. There is a much wider range of software available and you get lots of free software. Recently I started using Fusion360 which I use to create items for 3D printing. It costs over $3,000 but as a student/startup business you can use it for free legally. Open Office is a freeware version of Microsoft Office and I have found Thunderbird to be a very good free email program. For making PCBs I use Designspark which is also free, the PCB you got from me was made with it.

There are huge amounts of resources available to learn to anything now on Youtube. A computer is just another tool to enable you to learn and do what you want.

Your mobile is a computer also!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 08:47pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness said  For making PCBs I use Designspark which is also free, the PCB you got from me was made with it

I cannot use used computers because of the risk of my asthma so I don't have first hand experience but I see why there's value to be had there.

Have you played around with KiCAD?

I am drawn to it because of a specific plugin called SkIDL that allows me to describe the schematic in python code and have it directly go to PCB but I am interested in a KiCAD vs Designspark PCB for example

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:02pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LadyN said  
  Madness said  For making PCBs I use Designspark which is also free, the PCB you got from me was made with it

I cannot use used computers because of the risk of my asthma so I don't have first hand experience but I see why there's value to be had there.

Have you played around with KiCAD?

I am drawn to it because of a specific plugin called SkIDL that allows me to describe the schematic in python code and have it directly go to PCB but I am interested in a KiCAD vs Designspark PCB for example

I know several people who had severe asthma and now have no symptoms after eliminating all dairy products from their diet.

When I make a PCB I draw the components and tracks directly onto the PCB in the software. Learning Python in order to describe a circuit in order for it to tell the PCB software how to make a PCB sounds like a really simple and easy place for Ben to start.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 09:54pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for all the info and encouragement Madness and ladyN

Yes I agree 100% I will have to get me a computer laptop most likely

Maybe things have changed in the last 10 years

Windows XP was the latest and greatest thing when I last had a computer

I hated dealing with all of the viruses and bugs

it was so bad that I would partition my hard drive into two drives C and d

put my operating system on the first partition

so I could quickly reload Windows without losing all of my other files

That used to be the main problem every time you got a computer you wouldn't get the CDs or the authorization code with it

And by the time you bought a copy of Windows you might as well bought a new one

Anyone on here running Linux or other free software

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is a new guy on the forum

He seems to be a highly intelligent down-to-earth easy to get along with all around good person

He is going to be an engineer and He is building his own inverter

He has bought a massively huge toroid Transformer and 2 of the big chokes like you scene on my 10000 watt inverter board

I have been talking to him a little on p.m. and he volunteered to make the little power jack mosfet board for me

His name is kentfielddude

I think he will rise quickly through the ranks on the form

And be a great asset to world the form and all of us

Really great guy young full of energy and revved up ready to go

This will allow me enough time to find a cheap computer

fix it up and maybe get started on learning how to use PVC manufacturing software

Madness

Guru

Posted: 10:08pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Linux is good but you really start limiting what software you can use. I use Gmail which almost completely eliminates any spam emails and if you are careful about what you download helps avoid viruses also. Just about any windows laptop will have a windows licence already. I use the free version of AVG antivirus, Chrome Browser and by following everything above I don't have any problems with viruses. Most problems stem from pirated software and dodgy web sites.

Having a legitimate version of Windows and installing all the updates helps a lot also.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 10:25pm 26 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would say you hit the nail right on the hammer

A (friend) paid to have a hacked copy of the corporate edition of XP made back in the day when it first came out

My (friend) didn't have very good morals back then but has since then changed and is a totally different person

My sister is computer programmer but she will not do anything like thatEdited by BenandAmber 2019-06-28

kentfielddude

Posted: 01:45am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently switched my laptop to Ubuntu. It runs faster than Windows 10 + all the crap I had installed. I will be getting a new laptop soon with Windows. Ubuntu is free and has been working good for me so far. However being a lot less popular than Windows the drivers for my graphic card is outdated and my graphics card performance is less than on windows. Also some programs like Atmel Studio is windows only. I think Chromebooks are good if you're just doing web browsing or watching videos or using google docs/drive. It has a very fast boot time and feels snappy. However you can't install any programs that aren't in the chrome store which makes it you very limited on options. Also it forces you to use all google products... They make sense for schools and library but I couldn't see myself getting one. Edited by kentfielddude 2019-06-28

Madness

Guru

Posted: 01:54am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My main computer now is a Lenovo Ultrabook, they're not cheap but it has I7CPU and a very fast PCIe SSD drive, with windows 10 and heaps of crap installed still does a full boot in >15 seconds. Adding a fast SSD to any laptop will increase it's speed dramatically for around $200.

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 02:16am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness said  Adding a fast SSD to any laptop will increase it's speed dramatically for around $200.

How many TB?

A 1TB SSD in the US costs less than $100, eg: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NNRTTCM

Madness

Guru

Posted: 02:35am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry it has been a while since I looked at the prices and was talking about AUD prices. Anything on amazon usa can't be bought in Australia.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 03:54am 27 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can partition your hard drive and run to operating systems

you can set the BIOS to boot to either partition

it will look just like you have two hard drives in it

Or you can run the operating system off of a CD-ROM I first did this when the 52 x CD-ROM first came out

I also used to run scuzzy hard drives because they were 10000 instead of 7200 X

I also ran a server for a while when XP first came out and was able to take advantage of dual processors

That was back in the day

I thought I was something maybe I was probably I wasn't

But that didn't keep me from thinking I was something lol

Page 1 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024