Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:45 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : What inverter style would you build if starting a new system in 2020

Page 3 of 3    
mackoffgrid

Guru

Posted: 03:27am 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

rogerdw said  
Still, if you and oztules had already built quite a number  ...  a direct copy should make it possible to replicate.

Where'd be the fun in that  

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 03:54am 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mackoffgrid said  
  rogerdw said  
Still, if you and oztules had already built quite a number  ...  a direct copy should make it possible to replicate.

Where'd be the fun in that  

Haha  ...  I'm not the masochist that some around here are  ...  I don't have an exploding fet fetish.  
Cheers,  Roger

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 06:18am 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its far from easy to make an EXACT copy of anything "home brew" because many of the major parts have likely been recycled from an unknown original source, and may no longer be available new, even if you could properly identify the part.

So we get to use fans, heat sinks, circuit breakers, chokes, and transformers and hook them all up Frankenstein style, and hope for the best.
Cheers,  Tony.

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 09:28am 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Clockman, that does help. I had seen a couple of those photos and videos before but it's good to refresh my memory.

I had also wondered about the physical layout and location of wiring etc. Also about fitting shielding perhaps  ...  or even those rectangular ferrite blocks to go over the ribbon etc etc.

For you to mention that it's important to keep the ribbon at 200mm or less  ...  I'm assuming you suspect that interference can potentially get into the ribbon and create false triggering of fets on the OP board??

Cheers,  Roger  

Hi Roger ,
Just did a reply and its gone somewhere?

High Votage AC I keep on the left of the enclosure. Toroid AC 240v cables pass up the central void to the AC EMI filters. AC feed to the control board is centrally void area, its light weight so flys in/onto the boards. AC meter sence coils also fly in where required.

Power board and control board are top right of the enclosure. Control board sits on Power board with PCB 15mm long insulators. This keeps the ribbon cable down to 200mm max. Ribbon cable is free floating as its away from the boards as deliberately designed to be at the peripheries of the PCB's.
The PCB's are especially designed to remove pinch points and extra ground planes without ground loops. Also extra wide tracks and wide track spacing,s and doubling up on positive and negative power supply ribbon cable feeds, and doubling the connections when the track crosses on to the other side.   No, could not get false triggering with the present arrangement layout. See Pic regards the 200mm long ribbon cable with air space around it.

Many decades ago I used to build electronic timing machines, but if the cabling was a mash/mess, then they would pick up the local emergency services.! Air space is good around cables.  Shielding does work but with differing PSu's the shielding it self can pick up and also induce.  For years I use a 198 LW small pocket radio and its sensitive to a very wide range of frequencies and interference spectrums. Air space is good around cables.  

The toroid sits at the enclosure base centrally with its cables coming up in free air to there appropriate attachments and securing's.

Yes Oztules and I have built a fare few OzInverters and there are about 200 around the globe.

Oztules is very ill, and under constant medical supervision, so for you John I duly take my hat off, and doff my hat in salute to you for your wonderful endeavours.
There are 2nd edition OzInverter book/manuals in your local library and in TAS, its the least I can do.

Oztules built his OzInverters out of what he has on Flinders Island, I have tried to standardise the OzInverters parts with John's help.
With the 2nd edition book/build manual, good material handling skills, and correct components, cable sizes, all the materials and following the build procedure and layout, then a good robust OzInverter is very achievable.
Edited 2019-11-08 19:33 by Clockmanfr
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 11:39am 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Clockmanfr said  

Hi Roger ,
Just did a reply and its gone somewhere?

High Votage AC I keep on the left of the enclosure. Toroid AC 240v cables pass up the central void to the AC EMI filters. AC feed to the control board is centrally void area, its light weight so flys in/onto the boards. AC meter sence coils also fly in where required.

Power board and control board are top right of the enclosure. Control board sits on Power board with PCB 15mm long insulators. This keeps the ribbon cable down to 200mm max. Ribbon cable is free floating as its away from the boards as deliberately designed to be at the peripheries of the PCB's.
The PCB's are especially designed to remove pinch points and extra ground planes without ground loops. Also extra wide tracks and wide track spacing,s and doubling up on positive and negative power supply ribbon cable feeds, and doubling the connections when the track crosses on to the other side.   No, could not get false triggering with the present arrangement layout. See Pic regards the 200mm long ribbon cable with air space around it.

Many decades ago I used to build electronic timing machines, but if the cabling was a mash/mess, then they would pick up the local emergency services.! Air space is good around cables.  Shielding does work but with differing PSu's the shielding it self can pick up and also induce.  For years I use a 198 LW small pocket radio and its sensitive to a very wide range of frequencies and interference spectrums. Air space is good around cables.  

The toroid sits at the enclosure base centrally with its cables coming up in free air to there appropriate attachments and securing's.

Yes Oztules and I have built a fare few OzInverters and there are about 200 around the globe.

Oztules is very ill, and under constant medical supervision, so for you John I duly take my hat off, and doff my hat in salute to you for your wonderful endeavours.
There are 2nd edition OzInverter book/manuals in your local library and in TAS, its the least I can do.

Oztules built his OzInverters out of what he has on Flinders Island, I have tried to standardise the OzInverters parts with John's help.
With the 2nd edition book/build manual, good material handling skills, and correct components, cable sizes, all the materials and following the build procedure and layout, then a good robust OzInverter is very achievable.

Don't you hate that when it happens. I used to write all my forum posts outside of forums and then paste them in at the last moment to avoid having to rewrite every time I got kicked off. At least my internet has improved over the years.

Thanks for the explanation of the layout. It makes sense to try and follow it as closely as possible.

I have no clue about design and layout of boards, so I'm happy to purchase boards that have already proven successful  ...  at least that puts me part way towards a successful build.

I'm sorry to hear about Oztules being ill, it is such a shame when good, productive people are sidelined by poor health. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Thanks again.

Cheers,  Roger
Cheers,  Roger

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024