Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:34 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Inverter for a Tiny Home - help wanted...

Page 2 of 2    
Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:37am 22 Sep 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

choke things, Iron Ferrite Toroid Cores.
Perhaps you can find some that Mike used, Here

- LED lights in all rooms   * likely only have one switched on in the room/area  you occupy till midnight orso power consumption LOW  
- Three, maybe four computers(24/7/365) * That will use a bit of power, should do an energy audit and find the real numbers.
- Washing machine *daytime only, no problem when there is solar.
- Video projector * energy audit probably Doesn't use much if its LED type and used only a few hours
- Raspberry Pi Media-player * not much I guess?
- A few network switches  * few watts, mine uses 10W
- Home Theatre amplifier  * Only on a few hours, 50w if its like the consummation of the soundbars  
- Some kitchen appliances such as jug, sandwich press, perhaps a Microwave * daytime stuff, the Microwave is fast no problem using that any time of night.

10Kwh battery should cover that lot, but if you have less sunny weather than me (sunny QLD) then you might add more if needed.

"10Kwh battery should cover that lot"  I'm probably going to be corrected on that

PD, thats A Nice looking Rayburn,
Edited 2023-09-22 21:41 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 12:12am 23 Sep 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My experience with the Taiwanese/chinese 8010 boards has been good so far.
I have had a couple running for a few years now.
The main one for the shed, manages to run my, Sliding compound saw, power tools, air compressor, MIG welder and many other difficult loads.
So far I have not had one of them blow up.
My powerjack inverters on the other hand blew up quite a bit. They suffered from loose connections and did not like inductive loads much. I think my 8kw ( realistically 2.5 kw) one blew up 3 times before I scrapped it and used the transformer for my 8010 based inverter.
In your case  having computers running all the time, I would definitely consider a stand by spare inverter.
I am guessing that your weather in NZ is much like ours in Tasmania, very wet winters and drier summers. Covering winter usage will be your main issue
Pete

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:06am 23 Sep 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will rethink the computers on 24/7/365.
I might be able to locate those at my workshop and remote into them, but then there are WAN, firewall and hacking-attack things to have to put in place that you generally don't have to worry about inside a private LAN.

But that might simply be unrealistic, so I will rethink that aspect.

Yes, LED projector, not a 500W halogen bulb or something like that.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 05:14am 24 Sep 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I will rethink the computers on 24/7/365.

I was going to suggest you get an Energy meter to check the power consumption of your computers and other things, there are some cheap ones that will work ok, but once you used them for checking everything, they rarely get used again.
Looking at your photo, you have 2 energy meters the DC 100v and the AC unit with its own CT in the packet, you can use the AC meter to check the consumption, easy to put it in a small box with a short 1.5m power cord going to it, then use a wall socket on the outside attached to the Box, very handy checking things, I built mine into an old Computer power supply box, used it the other day testing a welder I repaired.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:21am 24 Sep 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do have one of those(energy meter) - I could hook it up, and get an average reading.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:20am 04 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  These only have ONE winding on them, so they seem to have had one winding removed already, and look to be ready to accept the chunky LV winding directly - I think.

3kW units, so good for up to 16A surge I would imagine - please comment.

If you just want to wind up one core to use for a 48v inverter, I think we are still after about 28v or a little more for the primary winding, rough guess (as I haven't wound one of these) you would need about 30 turns, you can wind some thin scrap wire to test how many turns you need before getting the correct size wire.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 10:07am 05 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   might need to leave the house I live in now, and setup in a tiny-house

The hardest part about downsizing : putting good work you spent years on, into a dumpster, and walking away....then seeing supposedly credible people gush over some  hyped tripe that would not pass Comp Sci 101...

Good luck Grogs.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024