Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:03 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : F&P pole reduction - help

Rubes

Posted: 07:19am 04 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In an attempt to salvage something from a f&p vawt see Thread here I am trying to reduce the drag so as to maintain rpms (Currently self starts and runs at +-120 - 150rpms in stiff breeze with stator removed). With a full f&p stator (no load, 2 pole star) it does not maintain rpms (could this be current eddy load?). Would it help to remove some poles (see diagram) and if so would the wiring as per diagram still be correct.
Or would increasing the air gap help (Obvoisly both solutions would have a reduced output)(diagram plagarised and adapted from www.thebackshed.com)

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:42pm 04 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you tried to convert it to 7 phase? You need the new magnet rotor running on the old stator.
There is no static drag with this combination, only whatever electric load you put on it.
My new magnet rotor was not very expensive, not sure if they are on junked machines yet.
Klaus

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:18pm 04 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The 7 phase conversion will certainly eliminate cogging, but the iron losses are still there and I think thats whats killing your windmill in this case. Remember you only have a small windmill, about 1/4 the size we would usually use on a F&P, so I think you need a smaller alternator. KiwiJohn did some work with a cut down F&P stator on his exercise bike. You can see the cut down stator in the top photo on this page...
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/PedalPower_John .asp
If you have a spare stator or two, it might be worth a try. Cut off a few segments and see how it goes, cut down some more and test that. If you go too far, then use a fresh stator and cut down to the previous best result.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024