Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:02 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite V5.07.00b0 - beta firmware

Page 12 of 13    
palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:16am 28 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have SetPin 6, uart1tx and SetPin 7, uart1rx
Open "COM1:9600" As #1
and I get an error  'INVALID COM PORT'
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

palcal

Guru

Posted: 02:10am 28 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok now just a silly typo, I left out the colon after Com1.
All problems solved and Geoff's Super Clock is running fine. And the main thing my backpack board had no problems.
Edited 2021-08-28 12:36 by palcal
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:18am 28 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  All problems solved and Geoff's Super Clock is running fine.

Excellent news.
Question re your earlier post on memory. Do you actually need the various loadable fonts? Remember the PicoMite has 7 built-in (like the MM+) rather than just the two in the MM2.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:42am 28 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Latest TINAM version:

PicoMite TINAM doc 0827.zip

Have fun, folks. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:48pm 28 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Matherp....Thanks for reminding me about the fonts, the lodable fonts are using a lot of memory. I will work on that this morning.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:06pm 28 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now using the inbuilt fonts but using font 6,2 to replace the original large font it is a bit fuzzy. Font #3 in the original code was very clear it is a 64x100 font.
But the #6,2 is OK.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:18pm 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a feature request. It may be a tiny one, or it may be and RTFM (Read The f**king Manual). For Picomite, but also other mites I regularly use the build in editor. One thing I dearly miss is a way to clear the terminal screen with a simple keyboard keystroke.

In the picomite manual I read that

print chr$(27)+"[2J"   'clear the screen
print chr$(27)+"[H"    'move the cursor to the top left home position

does the trick.

I confirmed this works. Could this sequence be implemented as a single keystroke, in example as <ctrl>+L. I have no idea where I got the <ctrl>+L from, but it is somewhere in my genes (maybe from earlier DOS ?).
It is just for direct entry. It is easy to put above lines in a basic program, but not easy to execute this from the keyboard.

Maybe this already exists? I noticed <ctrl>+U moves the cursor home, but not clear the screen. And I missed what does....

Thank you in advance...

Then there is a observation that may be related to my terminal program (Putty). It would be nice if someone else could confirm or reject.

If I set the terminal screen resolution to 40 lines of 100 characters (option display 40,100) and set the Putty screen to the same resolution, I cannot scroll down to the lower 4 lines of the screen. And if I put both in the resolution 48 lines of 100 characters (CMM2 resolution) scrolling down changes the screen in a bunch of horizontal lines.

Maybe picomite, maybe Putty, causes this. I tried (linux) GFXTERM32 but could not find out how to set the resolution. I will see if I can find another linux terminal to contirm.
Edited 2021-08-31 06:52 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:55pm 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There's no simple way to clear the terminal screen directly. IIRC I managed to use the programmable function keys, but only to do one function each so I had clear on one and home on another. It was a bit convoluted. I can't remember just how I did it now...

I often use a little library/set of VT100 subs that I put together for doing graphic-y things on the console. Using that it's just Vcls (which uses a version of the code that you quoted).
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 09:10pm 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ctrl+L is formfeed, which on the earliest personal printers would give you a new page. I don't know on what device that might have been appropriated to apply to clearing a screen.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:42pm 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Maybe this already exists? I noticed <ctrl>+U moves the cursor home, but not clear the screen. And I missed what does...

If all you are trying to do is clear the Putty screen, why not try "reset terminal"?
Available in the popup menu.

Windows users do a right click, I forget what Linux users have to do.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:33am 31 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yesterday I have tried on my linux system to change the editor window from 24 lines 80 characters to 48 lines and 100 characters using option display.
The problems communicated are observed using Putty on Linux. I tried minicom, gtkterm, gfxterm, and these all have fixed 24x80. So I could not duplicate.

Today I used Putty on Windows, and Teraterm on Windows, and these do not show the artefacts.

Therefore I conclude the problem lies with Putty on my linux system.

Please ignore earlier bug report.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:20pm 01 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

an interesting observation:

exactly every 30 seconds, with no terminal input or output, the pico (running mmbasic 5.07.00b11) send the escape sequence:
ESC [?25h

(this is the VT100 escape sequence to un-hide the cursor)

it does this when sitting at the command prompt,
it does this when sitting in the editor,
it does this when a program that produces no terminal output is running;
it even still does this when null characters are sent to the pico.

only TWO thing seem to stops it doing this:
1. sending the pico a character other that chr$(0) at intervals less than 30 seconds,
2. have the pico print something to the console at intervals less than 30 seconds.

why?

30 seconds seems to keep cropping up when dealing with the pico's USB.

cheers,
rob   :-)

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:32pm 01 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  why?

If I don't do something the Pico USB stack seems to time  out and drop the CDC link

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:42pm 01 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

how long does it run without this, before it falls over? minutes, hours? seems like a bug that the USB developers should be looking into with some urgency.

do any of the earlier betas have this 'keep alive' feature not built in? i'd like to do some testing to see how the USB behaves when 'force crashed' (by clearing DTR) if the 30 second thing isn't there.

cheers,
rob   :-)

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:14pm 01 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PicoMiteV5.07.00b15.zip

Fixes a bug in GUI CALIBRATE introduced when the GUI controls were added
Fixes a bug in AUTOSAVE not echoing the last line if it doesn't include a return character
PEEK and POKE to invalid addresses will now cause a reset rather than a complete lockup - this will still lose your program as RAM is reset. Because of the arrangement of memory in the PicoMite it is impractical to check all addresses if users want to peek and poke registers, flash memory and RAM.
WEND is not a valid command and will return "Error: Unknown command"

MM.DEVICE$ now returns "PicoMite"
Edited 2021-09-02 16:58 by matherp

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:50pm 05 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

AS posted earlier I got my Picomite Backpack running with Geoff's Super Clock for a test. It ran OK for a few days and then the screen went blank. I connected to Terraterm and put Trace On. The code runs for a few seconds then just stops with no error reported, going to the line of code where it stopped did not help except that there was a Watchdog timer set and maybe the Trace On was slowing the code and tripping the timer. Problem is that after a Watchdog timeout the processor restarts but does not reload the code. Well I think that is what is happening, I am going to try and test further today by putting Print Statements in the code to try and see what is happening.
I assume the code is supposed to reload after a timeout.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:27pm 06 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Problem is that after a Watchdog timeout the processor restarts but does not reload the code.

A watchdog timeout causes a system reset. Given that the PicoMite is RAM based this can't restart the code as there then isn't any. It should though restart OK it you use OPTION AUTORUN and save the program in one of the flash slots

Attached below is a "crunched" version of the superclock modified for the PicoMite that I'm running a longterm test on now. This includes the original fonts and will load with the default memory. NB: OPTION SYSTEM I2C should be set to enable the RTC

PicoClock.zip

UPDATE: there may be a problem with AUTORUN ( and watchdog together?). Will look at it but not before Thursday. Seems to work with OPTION AUTORUN 1 but not other slots
Edited 2021-09-07 01:56 by matherp

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:20pm 14 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oops!
Edited 2021-09-15 09:24 by palcal

palcal

Guru

Posted: 03:40am 15 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In versions of MM.Basic I used the 'TILDE' symbol for degrees. Do any of the PicoMite fonts have a degrees symbol.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:00am 15 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Do any of the PicoMite fonts have a degrees symbol.

chr$(96) in all fonts (back apostrophe symbol)
Edited 2021-09-15 17:01 by matherp

Page 12 of 13    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024