Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:17 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HC-12 Tester/Programmer PCB 1A...

Page 1 of 3    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:32am 19 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a follow-on from my other HC-12 thread, here is what I have so far for the programmer/tester.

The board is 50mm square, and incorporates a 1455 USB interface for the serial. As this board is HC-12 specific, I have not bothered with the ICSP pins or the SELECT tact, as all I wanted was just a plain old USB-serial adaptor on-board so I did not have to hunt around for one to plug into it.

Two mini slide switches control the unit, with one being connected to the HC-12's SET line to easily allow you to hop in and out of setup mode. The other slide switch turns the power off and on to the HC-12 module.

The two slots above the module, and one below, allow for module restraint by way of a wide rubber-band, that you cut so it is one long length of rubber strip. The end by the switches is fixed, and the other end is threaded through the upper two slots, so you can easily loosen it, insert a module to test or program, and pull the rubber-band though the two upper slots, which will pull the module down on the pogo pins. The rubber will grab on the edges of the slotted holes, holding it in place for the duration of the testing or programming. That's the idea, anyway.

Rubber is a conductor of static electricity, so I will have to test this idea a bit more, but I don't see there being THAT much friction to charge up the rubber band, but perhaps elastic would be better.

As well as allowing you to easily program an HC-12 module WITHOUT soldering any pin-strips to it etc, it will also allow you to send it test data that it will transmit which can quickly and easily be checked for frequency with the likes of a UHF scanner radio. Here is the scanner radio I use - US$35.

The pogo pins are P75-E2 type, and 100 of them can be had for US$2.
Having a conical head, these ones self-centre in the holes on the module, and it also makes for quick alignment of the module on the pins, as they 'Want to be together' - isn't that sweet....
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

kg4pid

Posted: 05:21pm 19 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe I missed it, but does this board have a place for an antenna or are you going to use an external antenna?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:00am 20 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the purposes of testing, you usually don't need an antenna.
You could put an external one on the U.FL socket if you needed to use it to range-test, but that is not really the purpose of the board. Having said that, it would be a good idea to have a hole in the PCB so you can put a simple wire on if you want. Thanks for the tip.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:38am 30 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a photo of a completed unit:

The rubber-band idea was a failure.
The pogo-pins have enough force collectively, to pull the rubber-band back through the slots. Oh well - was worth a try. For now, I am just holding the HC-12 on the pins - that works, but means you lose one hand, so I am working on some other method. Because there are five pogo pins at one end, but only two at the other, you need more force at the connections end then the antenna end - should have seen that before - oh well.......

The board works fine to read, program and test the modules though. I just need to think of a more suitable module restraint system.

Azure

Guru

Posted: 01:13pm 30 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A little swing lever made of plastic with a hole at one end and a slot at the other. Swing it away to change modules, swing it in over a module push it down (against the pogo pins) and into a retaining screw which has a washer on top for the slotted end to go under.

Both screws raised up from the pcb with nylon spacers.

I you used washers (maybe need nylon ones gainst PCB) you might be able to use the rubber band slots for the screw holes. You could use a nylock nut to keep the screws at a set tension and a little spring (above the lever pushing down on it using a longer screw) if you want more pressure.

If that makes sense.

That's what I was thinking of doing (when I read the rubber band idea , that is when I eventually get one.

plover

Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 30 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do love that testing arrangement (and I do not have an HC-12)

Can't help to suggest sort of springy piece of say hardened fence wire using the two nice slots. Flat piece of spring from an old wind up alarm clock, I seem to remember I have such in my scrap bin.

May well require a bit of insulation. Hmmm piece of single strand copper mains wiring.

Board kit available in the shop?
Edited by plover 2018-05-01

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:59pm 30 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs. Is it not possible to put a flatish weight (insulated of course) in the "sweet spot" on the module?
Given that there are pads to which the coil antenna can be attached is it possible to re-design or modify the PCB so a pogo pin, with an antenna attached, connects to one of these?

Cheers, Andrew

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:35am 01 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   For the purposes of testing, you usually don't need an antenna.
You could put an external one on the U.FL socket if you needed to use it to range-test, but that is not really the purpose of the board. Having said that, it would be a good idea to have a hole in the PCB so you can put a simple wire on if you want. Thanks for the tip.

how about a pogo pin with a 86mm (1/8th wave) "squiggle" on the PCB? Edited by CaptainBoing 2018-05-02

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:40am 01 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Azure - I think I see what you are getting at. I will have a play with the idea.
@ plover - Not available on the website. I can put it up there if anyone is interested.
@ Andrew_G - I like the weight idea - I will look into that. That might be all we need. The board caters for an external wire or helical antenna - there is a pogo-pin in place for that:

EDIT: Here is another shot of the board without HC-12 module:

There is a pogo-pin for the antenna connection, coming out to a PCB-based coplanar wave-guide set for 49.93-Ohms, which was as close as I could get to 50-ohms.
Edited by Grogster 2018-05-02

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:18pm 01 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you have one of these:

You could remove the microscope and replace it with a pencil or mabe a dowel and use it as a clamp. :)

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:18am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't, but all ideas are ideas!
Thanks.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 12:52am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs,
I hadn't appreciated that there IS a connection for an antenna on the PCB.
With that I suggest all you need now is one of these:

Cheers,

Andrew

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:21am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

search for TOGGLE CLAMP on ebay, like this one for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253323279398

these are generally what are used on professional programming and test fixtures to hold parts in place during testing.

cheers,
rob :-)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:26am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, Rob, yes, those look like just the ticket. All about knowing what they call a thing. I had never heard of those before, so this is news to me. Will study these in more detail.

For now, I might steal Andy's rock idea - I have plenty of those about the place.

Azure

Guru

Posted: 01:29am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Robert

I have a bunch of those (woodturning and cabinet making jigs) but I did not think to suggest them as even the small ones are a little big for what is needed.

Grogster might like them, they are very handy if setup properly.

Edit: Grogster you managed to hit reply before I sent my reply. I think you should use heavy rocks, solid gold nuggets covered in an insulator might work well Edited by Azure 2018-05-03

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:17am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G’day grogster,

Have you thought of trying a couple of those strong magnets?

Glue one to the test pcb and use an insulated one on top of the HC12.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Bill7300

Posted: 06:18am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

From memory, they are known as over-centre toggles to the mechanical engineer.A very handy concept.

Bill

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:09am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Mick - another clever idea! Thanks.

Quazee137

Guru

Posted: 11:05pm 03 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't have a 3D printer but I sure some one here does. I borrowed plover's image.

It's inline with a reflow oven.

Azure

Guru

Posted: 11:26pm 03 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Quazee137

Now that's a clever solution a nice custom printed plastic clip.

It is the ability to make little things like that that make me want to get a 3D printer. Alas I have not gone down that path yet.

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024