Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:14 11 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : H743Zi2 Board

Page 3 of 4    
KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 11:34pm 22 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know as I don't use anything to do with the Arduino. Obviously it would depend on MMBasic and the pre-allocated H7 pin assignments for LCD, touch SD etc, so I've never looked at the pin mapping for those connectors, in fact I remove them in some projects as I need access to solder long pin headers to allow the H7 Backpack to plug on one side of the H7 board for LCD connections only, and an I/O interface board plugged into the top side of the H7 board.

One day I would really like to get a simple backpack board made up that brings out just the console and the LCD display pins set up for the ER 9" displays, which would eliminate the 9" adaptor board.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 01:36pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So I had left my H743Zi2 Board in its packaging for a while because I'm under the gun with another project. Couldn't stand it any longer so I just pulled it out.

Installed ST-Link and then the firmware....couldn't be easier.

Actually, it was exactly the same as when I updated the firmware in my TS80 soldering iron as it also has a ST MCU but for that, I didn't need ST-Link...curious.

I just threw together something to compare 400MHz and 480MHz. It can get quite a bit done in a 1ms window....way more than I need for the intended purpose.

dim UD,a,b,c,d as integer
UD=0

a=5000
b=20000
c=10

timer=0
settick 1,Srv
do:loop

sub Srv()
UD=UD+1

if UD=1000 then
 print Timer-1
 UD=0
endif

d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c 'This is the limit @ 400MHz
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c
d=a*b/c 'This is the limit @ 480MHz

end sub

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:13pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  but for that, I didn't need ST-Link...curious.

You don't need ST-LINK for the ArmmiteH7. Just drag and drop the .BIN file to the disk drive that appears on your PC - something like NODE_H743ZI

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:10pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DOH! (Homer Simpson voice). Then this thread is something we need to keep alive, for the sake of others.
I used Google to search for everything armmite, H7 post etc. and of course the manual and my head nearly exploded...this or that or is it the other.  

This is very cool stuff. Imagine if Linux apps could be installed this way.

I came across mention about the RS485 enable on the to-do list. Is it still there?

Dammit, I have just developed a bunch of slave modules and now I want to can them and go with H7s instead...overkill but I like this

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I felt the same way when I was forced, due to code size and pin limitations, to move the code / hardware from the MM100+ (120MHz) across to the H7. The speed of the V1 H7 @ 400MHz allowed my fully automated router machine design to go beyond what I had initially envisioned, the V2 at 480MHz was just the icing on the cake.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:11pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah 540MHz also seems rock solid with the limited testing I have done.
3 hours of having that SETTICK thing run and the CPU is barely warm  

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 10:34pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've found the same thing, the heat from the H7 is minimal, the only real heat inside my H7 controller case is from the 9" LCD panel, a small amount from the 9 to 24 volt input SMPS PSU and an associated small charger for a small 2AH 3.3 volt backup battery needed to keep 3 external linear positions sensors calibrate data valid for months of no usage.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:42pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KeepIS said  I've found the same thing, the heat from the H7 is minimal, the only real heat inside my H7 controller case is from the 9" LCD panel, a small amount from the 9 to 24 volt input SMPS PSU and an associated small charger for a small 2AH 3.3 volt backup battery needed to keep 3 external linear positions sensors calibrate data valid for months of no usage.

Mike.

Oh wait, there is NV memory with the on board RTC?

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 10:47pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wish , no, I was referring to the main heat generators inside my Controller case, as the H7 is the coolest running thing in there.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:51pm 06 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is up with this forum. I post and get an acknowledgement but the post disappears.

I bought 100 of those serial EEPROMs that Geoff created a C routine for the MC devices.

Need to see if I can get them to work with the H7.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 12:47am 07 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've had something similar with the forum, I think reloading the forum home page and then going back to the thread showed the post? Yours's may be different though.

You know, like others, I wrote many library's in assembler, one-wire / I2c included. Everything I wrote was in assembler back then as I was working with the older 8 to 32 pin Microchip processors. I even wrote my own intelligent programmer for them about 20 years ago. For a new chip, the programmer would import the Microchip definition file for the new Chip, it would automatically set all memory, pages, clock setting profiles, select options etc and add the new chip to the list of its auto-detect and auto-set on detect routine. I still use for some code updates to old installations.

In the controller mentioned, the data is stored in the Linear Slide scales, they need to be powered to retain the zero offset data. They only draws a few microamperes each, so it's easy to keep powered for months, in this case the same small 2AH battery backup powers the RTC on the H7. Fortunately for this controllers operation, everything else only needs to be saved to SD card.

Would be very handy to get something running with low overhead for the Memory devices you mentioned though.

Mike.
Edited 2019-11-07 11:40 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:57am 07 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  a small 2AH 3.3 volt backup battery needed to keep 3 external linear positions sensors calibrate data valid for months of no usage.

Can't you use VAR SAVE?

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 07 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  a small 2AH 3.3 volt backup battery needed to keep 3 external linear positions sensors calibrate data valid for months of no usage.

Can't you use VAR SAVE?

If it's anything like the stuff that I use; if the scale loses power, it won't know where it is when power is restored. Furthermore the machine axes might be physically moved when the power is off.
I am interpreting "calibrate" as current position.

I do something similar but with rotary encoders. The quad decode chip is a SPI device (LS7366R). I will have 2 of them plugged into the H7 but they and the encoders will be battery backed.

H7 powers up and first interrogates the 7366's to check that their battery power was always good (battery didn't die) and then the H7 can safely continue from where it left off.

Just watch this have nothing to do with what Mike's on about  
Edited 2019-11-08 00:13 by Tinine

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 04:17pm 07 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  

Can't you use VAR SAVE?

Has VAR SAVE on the Arm gone the same as on the MicroMite - by which I mean it gets wiped when you upload a new prog? If so, it would be unwise as the calibration could be lost for the sake of a minor tweak of the code.

This is the reason I am at 5.0408 on a lot of stuff - I store key data and can't lose that for the sake of a new version of my code. Shame as there are some nice features that I could see myself using but I dare not bump the firmware.
Edited 2019-11-08 02:19 by CaptainBoing

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 07 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A  perfect use for EERAM like the 47C16.
I love them.
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11033&KW=47c16
Using one in my weather station.

2k of unlimited writes with automatic backup.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:20pm 07 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
  matherp said  

Can't you use VAR SAVE?

If it's anything like the stuff that I use; if the scale loses power, it won't know where it is when power is restored. Furthermore the machine axes might be physically moved when the power is off.
I am interpreting "calibrate" as current position.
Just watch this have nothing to do with what Mike's on about  

Tinine is correct, there are actually three calibrations values that need to be saved for each scale encoder.

The Linear positional scale has a microprocessor in the moving slide, that micro is commanded by the H7 to set the current scale position as relative zero to the current physical position, the output from the capacitive scale encoder is processed by the micro, the H7 then clocks out and decodes the position relative to zero. This 1st value can only be stored in the scale encoder, remove power and the machined using the encoder and the encoder have to repositioned and zeroed / reset if so.

The Micro draws microamperes, easy to backup. The other two variables are the scale full travel calibration value and the scale zero offset value returned at the point of the zero command to the scale. These two are simply saved to the SD card, there are over 50 setup values just for the 3 scales and motor control, a few hundred for recalling automated job set data.

Mike
Edited 2019-11-08 07:25 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 05:46pm 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These are a bit spendy but easily justified on a paid-for product.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:52pm 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trivial little update which may be relevant to the above discussion

ArmmiteH7-5.05.10.zip

This has two new sub commands

SAVE NVM string$
LOAD NVM string$

Thses commands read and write a string up to 128 bytes in length to battery backed memory in the RTC

e.g.

A$="1234567890"
save nvm a$

power off, then power on

dim a$
load nvm a$
print a$

Use BIN2STR$ and STR2BIN to format numbers for saving and restoring. The data is saved in the battery backed memory as long as VBAT is powered. 128 bytes is the total size of the RTC battery backed memory.
Edited 2019-11-09 07:53 by matherp

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:22pm 08 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many thanks, once again Pete.

Not trivial at all, as far as I am concerned. I need a NV production counter that will be written to constantly and read after a power cycle  

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:47pm 13 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mike,

I've only been stealing a bit of time, here and there to test the H7 because I am under the gun on a E100 project.

I didn't do anything with the links/jumpers yet. Is your list at the beginning of the thread still good?

One thing for me is that; if I remove power, the firmware disappears and I have to reload it. May that's one of the jumpers?

Heck I just read that the Comm ports are good for 12Mbaud  

Regards,

Craig

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024