Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:14 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Forum upgrade

Page 10 of 15    
Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:57pm 13 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The CODE tag is meant for code.

It is what it is, the forum editor cant work for all situations perfectly, it has quirks.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:33am 15 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I cannot reply private messages, always getting this:

Quote  Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\x8B\xE2\x80\x8B...' for column 'Message' at row 1 in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php:36 Stack trace: #0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php(36): PDO->exec('Insert into mes...') #1 {main} thrown in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php on line 36

... and my hard work gets lost.

... and when I open my "Outbox" I get this display:

Quote  Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\MyMessages.php on line 47

PS:

Trying a New Private Message, I get the same error like above.
Edited 2020-05-15 19:38 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 05:06am 17 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am still trying to reply via Private Message to Volhout and apparently short messages go through and longer ones do cause an error.

Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 04:29pm 17 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trying several times to make a posting, but it does not work.

If particularly this one works then apparently longer postings get kicked off.

P.S.:

Q.E.D.!
Edited 2020-05-18 02:29 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:36pm 17 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  Trying several times to make a posting, but it does not work.

If particularly this one works then apparently longer postings get kicked off.

P.S.:

Q.E.D.!

No chance getting some longer postings proceeded!

2 Errors I get, interestingly different ones using different Browsers:

WATERFOX Classic (64 Bit):

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\includes\common.php on line 98

FIREFOX (32 Bit):

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\includes\FormatPost.php on line 106

... and the Preview-Windows comes up blank!
Andre ... such a GURU?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:22pm 17 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy could you email me directly the message you are trying to post, the one that errored, so I can do some testing please. gizmo@thebackshed.com

Might pay to put the message into notepad, save as txt, then zip it up before emailing to me.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:33am 18 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Poppy could you email me directly the message you are trying to post, the one that errored, so I can do some testing please. gizmo@thebackshed.com

Might pay to put the message into notepad, save as txt, then zip it up before emailing to me.

Glenn

Done, clear email and txt+zipped.

Let me know if it did not work.

For this posting the Preview is working fine.
Andre ... such a GURU?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:33am 18 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, got the email. Give me a couple days, got a bit on.

Glenn
JAQ

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 04:41am 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn!

I have done some testing, sending PMs to myself and it still seems to depend on the length of the postings.

Forum Codes are working and by the way the link to the Forum Codes under the editor has no target ("404 - File or directory not found.").

The error message I currently get sending a PM is:

Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\x8B\xE2\x80\x8B...' for column 'Message' at row 1 in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php:36 Stack trace: #0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php(36): PDO->exec('Insert into mes...') #1 {main} thrown in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php on line 36

---
For this posting the Preview works!
Andre ... such a GURU?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:31am 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn.
Yesterday I got the dreaded "Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException:"  when I tried to post a reply.
It got me thinking and I just did a test posting a reply to your "just a test" thread.
The error was the same and caused by posting a zero byte in the text.

When you do a copy from Windows10 calculator, the copied text has leading and trailing zero bytes.
I have had issues with this before in other programs but forgot when I posted yesterday.

I am pretty certain that it's the zero bytes that the forum doesn't like.
I will try and remember to not copy-paste from calculator in future.

Perhaps Poppy is including non-ASCII text with zero bytes as well.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 06:58pm 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

just updating:

... made another try with the dutch message I sent you pasted to PM and received this:

Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\x8B\xE2\x80\x8B...' for column 'Message' at row 1 in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php:36 Stack trace: #0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php(36): PDO->exec('Insert into mes...') #1 {main} thrown in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\SavePM.php on line 36

PS:

This posting right here worked including Preview!  

Greez
Andre
Edited 2020-05-23 05:00 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 11:38pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn, keep up the good work !  The site has recently started an annoying habit. There is no reply box at the bottom of the page, it is on the next (final) page with no other post etc above.

I post a reply there and after hitting the post reply it returns the final page again without my post and then I have to change to the previous page to see it.

Sometimes this can happen a few times before we are genuinely on the next page with posts and replies on the same page, but about 1/2 to 2/3 down the full page it starts again.

This may have been reported already but sometimes it is quicker to just inform than read many pages, Cheers !
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:04am 02 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I post a reply there and after hitting the post reply it returns the final page again without my post and then I have to change to the previous page to see it.

This also happend to me several times and still does for some, but if I go back to the previous page via the browsers cache my posting is lost, so I mark and copy it first in order to paste it within a new attempt.
Andre ... such a GURU?

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 05:58pm 13 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Near the top of a page showing a discussion thread, before the first posting, there appears a thread path line, such as
Forum Index : Site News : Forum upgrade
for this thread. The first parts of this path are hyperlinks allowing a quick return back up the path.

Could that same line also be placed at the _bottom_ of the list of postings, just above the reply box? I find when I am many pages deep in a thread and get to the last posting, that link is a nice fast way back to the list of topics but it is such a bother to have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to get to that link. (Am I a lazy whiner or what?  ;-)
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

The site (Forums) seems to be running a bit slow of late. It takes a good few seconds longer to respond than it used to.

Brian
ChopperP

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:01am 23 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah suspect this is a problem with the email notifications it sends. I'm going to make a few changes to that system, mainly cut back on the size of the emails so the email gets trimmed off before its sent.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:18am 23 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fixed a bug where 3 notification emails were sent instead of one.
JAQ

RFburns

Posted: 10:01am 24 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tried to post a .PDF error

Strong like horse smart like tractor!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:33pm 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The bug where multiple notification emails are sent instead of just one is still happening.

There are several processes involved with handling the emails, I've just got to work through each one until I find the problem. The email's are stored in a table, the problem is either more than one message is added to the table, or its not being marked as sent once the email has gone.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:49am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I know what causing these multiple emails.

When someone adds a new post, the code looks up anyone who has asked for a email notification, prepares the email text and inserts it into a email queue table in the database, along with a "Attempts" counter and a "Email Sent" flag.

Every time someone ( member or visitor ) looks at a page on the forum, the code goes to grab 3 emails from the email queue table and tries to send them. If they are sent ok, the Email Sent is flagged as Yes. If the email didn't go, the Attempts counter increments. The code only grabs email from the queue where the flag isn't Yes, and the Attempts is less than 4.

It does this so the forum isn't slowed down processing a bunch of emails. Only 3 at once, and only 3 attempts for each.

All that code is working perfectly. So why the random number of multiple emails? And why is it getting worse.

I suspect its because the forum traffic has increased. At any one time there could be 30 or more visitors looking at the forum. If a new page is opened while another page is sending the emails, the counter and flag haven't been set yet, so the new page does the same. We end up with 2 emails sent. If 4 people open pages within a second, we get 4 emails.

I'll make some changes in the next couple days, should fix it.

Glenn
JAQ

Page 10 of 15    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024