Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:18 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Bug reports

Page 1 of 17    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:38am 17 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rather than multiple different threads, please post all any any bug reports to this thread so I can manage them more easily.
As always bugs are easiest to find when simple example programs are posted. thwill is setting a wonderful example of exactly how to do this.

Known issues at the moment:

error in ERROR command
input$ reading 1 character past the end of a file

As and when I create new releases I will post a message on Geoff's original thread to say they are ready for download.

Please post all documentation issues on the manual errata thread
Edited 2020-05-17 17:41 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BUG in select & delete/copy/cut multiple lines

To reproduce

1. Edit:
Option Explicit On

Dim a(10) = (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

Cls
print_array()
End

Sub print_array()
 Local i
 For i = 0 To 10
   Print a(i)
 Next i
End Sub

2. Move cursor to empty line before Cls

3. Press F4 to start selection

4. Move cursor down to start of line containing End

5. Press Delete

Actual behaviour

Nothing is deleted.
The status area displays the message "Nothing to delete".
The cursor returns to the line at the start of the selection.

Expected behaviour

The selected lines should be deleted.

Additional

It also doesn't work if you try to copy or cut a selection beginning with an empty line.
Edited 2020-05-20 00:20 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:25pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My beta testers have let me down badly. Perfect bug report thanks - now I just need to work out how to fix it

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:42pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No known bugs as at V5.05.02RC32 - lots more unknown to find I'm sure

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:59pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great, I'll flash it later and if the family let me I'll find some more bugs to keep you company - I saw a doozy earlier but you probably don't want 1000 lines of code to reproduce it  

Did you check whether Triangle allows colour & fill to be scalar even when the vertices are arrays ?
Edited 2020-05-20 01:59 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:01pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Did you check whether Triangle allows colour & fill to be scalar even when the vertices are arrays ?

The code appears to say yes but if you can prove otherwise then I'll certainly look at it

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:32pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is that doozy I promised

BUG in array state after running via editor

To reproduce

1. Create file "array_bug.bas":
Cls
Dim a(255)
Print "a(0) ="; a(0)

2. At the > prompt
run "array_bug.bas"

3. As expected it outputs
a(0) = 0

4. At the > prompt
Print a(0)

5. As expected it outputs

6. At the > prompt
edit "array_bug.bas"

7. F2 - to run

8. As expected it outputs
a(0) = 0

9. At the > prompt
Print a(0)

Actual behaviour

Outputs
4.777888813e+104

Expected behaviour

Outputs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:51am 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the report and great example. This is a cache coherency bug. When a program ends the firmware executes a longjmp command. When this command is used cache must be flushed first. In most places in the code I had done this but not when a program just runs off the end of the Basic statements or with an END statement. This will be fixed in the next beta.

Basically the running program has written to the a() array but this information is currently held in cache. This isn't an issue in the program because when we read the a() array the chip knows that the data is in cache and reads it from there. If the program was bigger other data would end up in cache and the chip would know it had to write the old cached information back to real memory and you wouldn't see the bug.

UPDATE

Wasn't just a caching issue; something much more stupid on my part - fixed ready for posting once I sort out another minor issue.
Edited 2020-05-20 21:33 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Multiple bugs when using array parameters to graphic primitive commands

See: graphics_errors.bas.zip

1. CIRCLE leaves uncoloured pixels at perimeter
2. CIRCLE when called with array coordinates but scalar colors does weird sh*t
3. RBOX when called with array coordinates but scalar colors does weird sh*t
4. TRIANGLE when called with array coordinates but scalar colors reports "Error: Dimensions"

Also note comment about the documented type of the coordinate parameters to Polygon compared with the other graphic primitives.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Unclosed subroutine does not report an error

Surely the following program should report an error when run:
Cls
foo()
bar()

Sub foo()
 Print "foo"

Sub bar()
 Print "bar"
End Sub

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:07pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the reports - the last one is for Geoff. I don't touch MMBasic   I'll copy him separately.

All the rest of the graphics ones are also in the ArmmiteH7, the ArmmiteF4, and the MMX. The circle pixel one is also in every Micromite. Mostly just trivial cut and paste errors. just shows how many people have tried using arrays as inputs to graphics routines!

All will be fixed in RC35 to be posted later today

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:24pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Thanks for the reports

You're welcome.

Quote  - the last one is for Geoff. I don't touch MMBasic

I'm not sure I understand the distinction, are not all the other bugs I've reported problems with MMBasic (on the CMM2) ?

Quote  All will be fixed in RC35 to be posted later today

Great.

I've got a USB keyboard coming today, expect to be baraged with reports (and I can't help myself, suggestions) related to the editor ... I've been holding off until now just in case the problems I'm having are due to using the serial console.

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No known functional bugs as at V5.05.02RC35 - still lots more unknown to find I'm sure

Unclosed subroutine does not report an error exists in all versions of MMBasic and is on Geoff's to-do list but at low priority

Quote  expect to be baraged with reports (and I can't help myself, suggestions) related to the editor

NB the likelyhood of changes to the editor other than bug fixes are vanishingly small
Edited 2020-05-22 04:04 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:52pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  NB the likelyhood of changes to the editor other than bug fixes are vanishingly small

Understood, but likewise it is in the nature of published works to be subject to critique.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:33pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As promised ...

Issues with the editor

1. Double pressing [End] does not consistently take you to the end of the document, sometimes it just goes to the end of the line. Double pressing [Home] seems to work as advertised. To reproduce open a multi-page .BAS file and navigate around it with [Page Up|Down], [Home] and [End], eventually you should find yourself in a situation where double pressing [End] does not go to the end of the file. If you cannot reproduce then I'll provide you with a .BAS file and exacting instructions.

2. If you hold down [Up] or [Down] and scroll beyond the start end of a page for a bit and then release the key the page keeps scrolling; presumably until the keyboard buffer empties ... this is very annoying. If you try the same experiment on a CMM then releasing the key immediately stops the scrolling.

3. You can't use [Page Up], [Page Down] and double pressing [Home] and [End] to navigate whilst doing an F4 selection. Possibly this is a deliberate omission, but it's not very friendly.

4. I believe the "Save As" behaviour is unconventional and at the very least misnamed. Most (All?) editors would save the file you are working on to the new file AND switch so that you were editing that new file. The existing behaviour corresponds more to a "Copy File" or "Backup File" command as it leaves you editing the original. It leads to the strange workflow that if you've already made some changes that you want to keep but you don't want to overwrite the original just yet then you have to "Save As" and [Escape] out of the editor to avoid your changes going into the original.

5. OK, this is a feature request and I know how you feel about those, but something really useful is a shortcut that comments/uncomments all the lines currently selected.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Edited 2020-05-22 08:34 by thwill

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:06am 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I believe the "Save As" behaviour is unconventional and at the very least misnamed. Most (All?) editors would save the file you are working on to the new file AND switch so that you were editing that new file.

Again, I have to agree with Tom on this. The behaviour in not as you would expect and will surely be a "gotcha" in the future. The first thing I do when editing a program is to do a SAVE AS so I know the original is safe. It WILL catch me out.

Quote  something really useful is a shortcut that comments/uncomments all the lines currently selected.

MMEdit does this, and it IS handy.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:21am 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  1. Double pressing [End] does not consistently take you to the end of the document, sometimes it just goes to the end of the line. Double pressing [Home] seems to work as advertised. To reproduce open a multi-page .BAS file and navigate around it with [Page Up|Down], [Home] and [End], eventually you should find yourself in a situation where double pressing [End] does not go to the end of the file. If you cannot reproduce then I'll provide you with a .BAS file and exacting instructions.

Will fix

Quote  2. If you hold down [Up] or [Down] and scroll beyond the start end of a page for a bit and then release the key the page keeps scrolling; presumably until the keyboard buffer empties ... this is very annoying. If you try the same experiment on a CMM then releasing the key immediately stops the scrolling.

Can significantly improve this but probably not solve completely as characters are buffered all over the place when using teraterm over usb with USB buffering, key repeat algorithm , keyboard buffer etc.

Quote  3. You can't use [Page Up], [Page Down] and double pressing [Home] and [End] to navigate whilst doing an F4 selection. Possibly this is a deliberate omission, but it's not very friendly.

The selection code is too complex to allow this as there are so many special cases that bugs are inevitable

Quote  4. I believe the "Save As" behaviour is unconventional and at the very least misnamed. Most (All?) editors would save the file you are working on to the new file AND switch so that you were editing that new file. The existing behaviour corresponds more to a "Copy File" or "Backup File" command as it leaves you editing the original. It leads to the strange workflow that if you've already made some changes that you want to keep but you don't want to overwrite the original just yet then you have to "Save As" and [Escape] out of the editor to avoid your changes going into the original.

Could rename but will not change the concept, would need huge destabilising change as it interacts with concept of current file and how programs are stored and managed for execution

Quote  5. OK, this is a feature request

Correct  

We are coming up to the formal release of the CMM2 in SC. My overriding concern is stability of the code and finding/fixing real bugs not perceived deviations from some other norm. I cannot and will not be making functional changes that could impact that stability. Anything relating to the editor/file handling comes into that category.
Once the code is released then it will go into a normal development cycle and functional changes could then be incorporated but that will happen on a periodic basis (6 month or a year) with each release following an extensive beta period

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:05am 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Acknowledged.

Note that the scrolling/keyboard buffer problem is present when using the CMM2 over VGA and not just through a serial terminal.

I think renaming "Save As" might be wise but understand (if regret) that it cannot be made to adhere to convention.

Best wishes,

Tom

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:32am 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I think renaming "Save As" might be wise but understand (if regret) that it cannot be made to adhere to convention.

+1

Perhaps something for the future?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:22pm 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

See main thread for RC36 changes

Page 1 of 17    
Print this page