Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:06 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: V5.07.00b1 - Mouse heaven

Page 2 of 5    
TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:33am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

toml_12953 said  
Is the resistor on the right 100 Ohms (Yellow, Purple, Orange)? What about the one on the left? I can't really tell the colors from the photo.

Sorry,
I just grabbed an image of 2 resistors.
4.7k to 10k should be good.

I will try and be more careful in future.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 11:03am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Both resistors should be 4K7 but the value is nor critical

Quote  One question though is there any performance differences between the two options, ie. Native PS/2 mouse and HT mouse?

The Hobbytronic mouse is polled every 16mSec. The PS2 mouse is completely interrupt driven. So if you don't move a PS2 mouse it has no overhead but when it is moving the overhead may be slightly more as each clock causes an interrupt

Good, that is helpful.  When you use the option mouse on 2,X it resets the system so I am guessing that if you wanted to turn mouse off in programs that you don't want to have a mouse input it can't be done in the program?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:19am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OPTION MOUSE only relates to the filemanager and the editor. The mouse and cursor are turned off if you leave either. If you want to use them in a program these need to be set up as per the normal CONTROLLER MOUSE command and MOUSE function

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 12:10pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  OPTION MOUSE only relates to the filemanager and the editor. The mouse and cursor are turned off if you leave either. If you want to use them in a program these need to be set up as per the normal CONTROLLER MOUSE command and MOUSE function
 That is a very good design, very efficient. I love it.  Thanks.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  If you are using a USB mouse, there is no need for the adapter.

Jim

I was thinking of making a cable with both the USB port and the PS/2 port on it.  Then you could plug in either type that would work.  Would that be doable without me killing my CMM2. I think that would be the best cable to make if it is safe. Could you make a diagram of that kind of cable? I am still gun-shy about connecting anything to the GPIO. Thanks Jim.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just connected my 10 year old Porto optical USB mouse up as per Jim's diagram (no adapter) and it worked first go - I'm amazed how clever I am!    Peter's test program came up with my mouse as a Type 3, whatever that means, and it's working fine in the file manager and editor.

My only regret is there's not much point now posting a photo of my little PS2 breadboard adapter that took me about a full day to make - it's so neat too.

Thanks Peter and Jim for all this effort.

Greg

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:26pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said  My only regret is there's not much point now posting a photo of my little PS2 breadboard adapter that took me about a full day to make - it's so neat too.

I'm formally requesting that you post a photo of your PS2 breadboard adapter because of said "neatness". You made it with pride - post a picture to share!
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 05:08pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi.  I am trying to figure out how to make a cable with both connectors here is what I have so far.  Please advise.

Would this work and be a safe interphase.  I like the idea of being able to directly plug in the USB/PS/2 mice OR the strictly PS/2 mice with one cable.  I would appreciate the verification before I make the thing.  Thanks.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote    I am trying to figure out how to make a cable with both connectors here is what I have so far.  Please advise.

Yes that would work. PS/2 is slow so there shouldn't be any issues with reflections from the open unterminated socket.

I had considered doing the same but decided that one socket and an adapter prevents accidentally plugging both in at the same time.

Jim
Edited 2021-01-04 05:53 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 08:36pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  PS/2 is slow so there shouldn't be any issues with reflections from the open unterminated socket.
 Is there anything I can do to fix that issue? I thought about the issue of duel plugins but I think it is worth it to have a universal cable for all my Mice.  Thanks.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 08:49pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anybody need some PS/2 mice? I have some old ones. Free if you pay for the shipping.

PM me.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:54pm 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   Is there anything I can do to fix that issue? I thought about the issue of duel plugins but I think it is worth it to have a universal cable for all my Mice.  Thanks.

I said it should NOT be an issue. If you accidentally plug both devices in, it shouldn't damage anything but definitely not work.
It depends if you are going to be swapping mice a lot or, now that I have things working, I am unlikely to do any swapping.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 01:27am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim:

Quote  I said it should NOT be an issue. If you accidentally plug both devices in, it shouldn't damage anything but definitely not work.
It depends if you are going to be swapping mice a lot or, now that I have things working, I am unlikely to do any swapping.
 I went another way and it is much more streamlined so I will stay with this little guy. Works for some of those MS mice but not some of you others.  Not a big deal.  

Just a note. If you noticed I mentioned that with your HT emulator the scroll is inverted and now I know the built-in PS/2 is correct. It must be some change that matherp made for this new feature.  No issue though. Thanks.

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 02:28am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  
  Quote  If you are using a USB mouse, there is no need for the adapter.

This one kind of confuses me.  If you are using a USB mouse don't you need the HT USB host or am I missing somthing?

Jim, You make the best wiring diagrams but can you give one with the proper connections to the PS/2 female port.  Thanks.

If you have a USB mouse, use the diagram posted in this thread. You don't need the PS/2 port at all. All you need is a USB breakout, two resistors and some wire. That eliminates compatibility problems with some USB mouse - PS/2 adapter combinations.

Rado

Posted: 10:23am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does anyone else have graphical glitches with new beta firmware, or is it my CMM2 playing tricks on me? I have odd artefacts with graphics demos in Welcome tape, and the main menu does not work - I can't select any menu item as neither cursors or numbers do work. The keyboard works Ok in other cases.

https://youtu.be/YUvrn-p9PO8

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:41am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is a problem that seems to be related specifically to the way the welcome code works. Let me know if you see the same in any simpler program as that would help locate the issue

Rado

Posted: 10:49am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the keyboard issue, I have it only with Welcome tape 0.5.1. I'll check some other software later on and report (IIRC, ran some games and they were fine, but let me double check and more thoroughly).

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:09am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry but I'm not able to be very active on the CMM2 or Welcome Tape at the moment.

@Rado how did you run the example shown in the YouTube video if the menu/keyboard was non-functional? Did you just run the .bas file directly, if so then @matherp I don't believe there is any Welcome Tape *magic* involved, and that it is just your original buckyball example code.

If it is the Welcome Tape *magic* then my prime suspect would be a firmware change that has hit the behaviour of EXECUTE.

To see if this is the case try changing we.run_program() in "/welcome/common/welcome.inc" to:

Sub we.run_program(f$, cmdline$)
 Mode 1,8
 Page Write 0
 Cls
 Print : Print "Loading '"; f$; "'..."
'  Execute("Run " + Chr$(34) + f$ + Chr$(34) + ", " + cmdline$)
 Open "/welcome.tmp" For Output As #3
 Print #3, "Run " + Chr$(34) + f$ + Chr$(34) + ", " + cmdline$
 Close #3
 Run "/welcome.tmp"
End Sub

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-01-04 21:11 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

paceman
Guru

Posted: 11:13am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  
  paceman said  My only regret is there's not much point now posting a photo of my little PS2 breadboard adapter that took me about a full day to make - it's so neat too.

I'm formally requesting that you post a photo of your PS2 breadboard adapter because of said "neatness". You made it with pride - post a picture to share!

Thanks CG, here it is, along with the USB connections sans adapter. Now to make them neat!  

Greg

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:35am 04 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice.

I felt much the same pang of regret:

... though looking at the underside magnified to such an extent I'm less pleased with my soldering now.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Page 2 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024