Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:12 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour Maximite 1 & 2 BASIC Programming Challenge 2021

Page 6 of 8    
Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:01pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pretty good Tom, yes I think it's worthwhile.

Was the sun actually shining or is that some clever special effect?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:53pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very good Tom,

Great to hear a voice to the name...

Mik
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:23am 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Was the sun actually shining or is that some clever special effect?

It was real sunshine. It was also brass-monkey weather outside and at one point it snowed briefly. Typical British weather, I love it ... provided I'm indoors.

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:39am 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  Hi Tom,
it looks good. But it depends on amount of criticism my program will get  

Yes, I won't say I'm not worried about that in general. To say I can be a bit "blunt" is an understatement

Quote  Btw, can you add in your repo/extra TowerOfHanoi.zip (unpacked)? It's MIDI and MP3 source for "music", especially for Mick...  

Done, thought the archive contained a .mid and a .jpg, there was no .mp3.

Best wishes,

Tom

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 10:59am 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tom,
it looks like I did jpg instead of mp3, bloody old eyes  
I will at home find the mp3 and post it here again...
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 04:24pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,
here is the MP3...  

TowerOfHanoi.mp3.zip
Jiri

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:08am 09 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Unfortunately Nimue is unwell (but recovering) and has has to bow out of the judging.

Bill (Turbo46) has been press-ganged in her place and Mick and I are both grateful for his agreeing to help out.

Due to this change in personnel the announcement of results *may* be delayed from Friday 16th April to some point in the following week, hopefully no later than the 23rd.

Our thanks again to Bill,

Tom & Mick
Edited 2021-04-10 09:14 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:14am 09 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  Hi Tom,
here is the MP3...  

TowerOfHanoi.mp3.zip

Thanks, uploaded!

Tom

realbobele

Posted: 09:42am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Hi folks,

So before "going all in" on producing a YouTube showcase for the Challenge (which I wouldn't publish until after the judging) I thought I had better do a test run and here it is:

https://youtu.be/7Kgdy9SdORs

The final version may have marginally better editing, but I won't be any less wooden or any prettier and the recording quality is limited by my equipment (laptop webcamera and internal mic).

So my question to you all is whether this is a worthwhile thing for me to do for the CMM community or not ? - I've got plenty of other things I could be doing instead and have zero interest in being even a Z-list YouTuber.

Best wishes,

Tom

Hi, Tom.

Thanks for your efforts with this. And yes, I think this would be worthwhile to do. This does make it easier to show people what they do not know they urgently need than carrying my CMM2 around to have them a look at it. This little machine can use a little more coverage on Youtube, I think, so please do it  

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:48am 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

realbobele said  This little machine can use a little more coverage on Youtube

I agree, I just didn't anticipate being the one doing it. I guess I can be the "2-Bit Guy"

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:00am 11 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since it wasn't his final entry to the competition I just want to give a shout out for @vegipete's Missile Command clone, In Renewed Defence of the Green Hills. It's the same huge fun that the original arcade version was and a great achievement in 48x100 lines of code.

Best wishes,

Tom

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:59am 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

The time has come to announce the winners of the CMM1 and CMM2 programming competition.

Before I get to the part that I am sure everyone is waiting for I have to say a big thank you to my partners (in crime):

Nimue, Hopefully you are on the way back from your illness and thank you for your offer to judge and assisting with creating the rules.

Tom, A big thank you for your offer to judge and assisting Nimue with creating the rules.

Bill, A HUGE thank you for stepping in literally with a few days to spare.

The quality of the entries was exceptional, especially given the code constraints in the rules.
The judging was certainly no easy task and trying to fit each entry into the 3 judging categories was not easy.

In any case I know Tom is planning a video clip on the entries and I am looking forward to that.

"Fanfare music playing now"

The Winning entries are:

1st Place ($50AU of MBG PCBs)  Mauro-Xavier with "Hope Robot"  
         2nd Place ($15AU of MBG PCBs)  Timd with "Gravity Assist"  
         3rd Place ($5AU  of MBG PCBs)  VegiPete with "Escape to the Green Hills"

Will the winners please look through my repertoire of PCBs available >>> Listing HERE <<< and consult my current Price List and PM me with your preferences and postal address.
I will ship them out to you.

I have just noticed that some of my newer boards (CMM2 Breadboard adapter, CMM2 Breakout Board and my 2 Dual HobbyTronics Mouse adapter boards are not listed there.. If any of these are in your order please let me know and I will will work with you.

Thank you all again for participating in this competition and I look forward to maybe doing the same next year but maybe without the Code restraints.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 02:51am 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gravity Assist by Timd is awesome! Well done! Nice neat and tidy program too.
Except now that little tune is stuck in my brain...

And Mauro's Hope Robot is staggering, as I've said before.

Well done, everybody!
And thank you to the judges. I don't envy the task you had to perform.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:56am 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was honoured to be asked to participate and I do hope that Nimue is well on the road to recovery.

I was amazed at the quality of the entries and would like to see them all taken to another level without the constraints of the size of the code.

I was also impressed with the likes of vegipete and TassyJim's ability to not only be able to read the programs but offer suggestions and improvements.

To quote young Mr Grace "You've all done very well".

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:26am 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many thanks to the judges, and congratulations to our winners. :)

I know, I've been looking at the listings and wondering how on earth all that trickery was done in such a small space. I'm glad I wasn't asked to judge. lol

I now know though that comments are like gold and when there aren't any it doesn't half make things difficult to follow. I'm going to be good now and include lots of them. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:39am 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congrats to all and thanks to judges. It was fun. And impressive seeing the submissions of those who actually knew what they were doing with the CMM2 video capabilities (unlike me).

Mixtel90 said  I now know though that comments are like gold . . .

A very worthwhile take-away. Also the revealing of structure by the use of indentation.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

TimD

Posted: 12:40pm 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congratulations Mauro - 'Hope Robot' is jaw-droppingly good, an amazing achievement for a page of code!  And thanks for your kind words Vegipete - your game fondly reminded me of playing 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81.  I'm privileged to be sharing the podium with two giants of the Maximite community

Thanks to the judges for their time & effort running the competition, and to Mick for generously offering the prizes.  Get well soon Nimue

And - like so many others in this forum - I'd like to express my gratitude to Geoff & Peter for making the CMM2 possible.  When I was a teenager in the 1980s I loved my Memotech MTX512 - a very capable machine for the time, but I got frustrated by its limitations; the CMM2 gives me the same enthusiasm for programming I had back then, but now without those limitations... it's a joy to use

Kind regards,
Tim.

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 01:46pm 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congrats guys

It was an amazing challenge with amazing results  

I was following the discussions and playing the posted games. It's incredible what we can do on the CMM2 with so tight space.

Unfortunately due to my professional duties I couldn't work on my version.

I'm waiting for the next one  

Kind regards
Leo

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:02pm 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

I'd like to add my congratulations to the winners too and my thanks to all the participants and my fellow judges.

All the entries were interesting in their own way and many of them confirmed my belief  that "C" does not have a monopoly on the writing of obfuscated dude ;-)

I have started work on a YouTube showcase of the entries, but video production doesn't fall under my list of talents so it will be a couple of weeks before it is ready.

I look forward to doing it all again in 12 months, perhaps with a few more participants, but not too many.

Best wishes,

Tom

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 03:36pm 17 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
congrats to winners and thanks for organising such challenge, for me they are again nice and surprising ideas, how could be the code improved... (and a little bit frustrating, how much are some people smarter than me )

Many thanks also to judges, it was for sure not easy task now, and what next time (with 100+ programmers)  
Jiri

Page 6 of 8    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024