Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:17 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Something else

Page 2 of 3    
Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:24pm 06 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Most powerful thru-hole
?  

Eight CPUs, each 20MIPS @80MHz for a total of 160MIPS

2001cpx

Posted: 08:37pm 06 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Datasheet on Digikey goes to Parralax directly,surely an error.
"Color Maximite,(Duinomite-Mega,Mini),CGmmStick,GCmicroboard2b,Micromite + explore 64,100,LCD backpack,Lcd Backpack V2,TFT Backpack,Micromite Extreme,Armmite L,F,H,CMM2"

Swartz

Posted: 12:53am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

2001cpx said  Datasheet on Digikey goes to Parralax directly,surely an error.

Indeed , these are sourced from Parallax . They are neat multi-program devices . Have created some interesting projects with them .

I think Spin is not so great a language though it does work . I would like to try their C based tools . The last time I checked , they seemed a bit cobbled together to me. Should look again .

Swartz

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I never bothered with SPIN. It does run at ~200,000 lines/sec and that's X 8 CPUs but I was aware of PropBasic before I received my first Propeller and went straight with that. There are very few of us using PropBasic but it is super quick as it churns out PASM (asm) code.

There's more available now and even SPIN can be compiled.

MMBasic MX170 + Propeller = dream team.  

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:44am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been watching this guy on YouTube for a few years.

I never understood the relationship between MMBasic and Propeller (never really looked into it much) but he has it running

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:02am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

knivd has introduced an interesting new board and software and so far the posts are mostly either:

The concept isn't what I want - now if you only made it do......
Posts about something unrelated

How about a bit of respect for someone doing something new and interesting!!!!!

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:08am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+1
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:29am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

He made a false statement and I corrected it. Problem with that?

@matherp: It's starting to look like you don't want anyone to be aware of anything other than MMBASIC but that's not the heading of this forum.

You might not be interested in the Prop but clearly, I have recently provided some with food for thought. Isn't this what forums are for?

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:58am 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  I have been watching this guy on YouTube for a few years.

I never understood the relationship between MMBasic and Propeller (never really looked into it much) but he has it running

An example of what I am looking at right now; I need the micromite to talk to an external device that only has a UART but the problem is that I need to talk to eight of them, constantly and full duplex. So I take the Prop and set it up with eight UARTS to talk with the external devices, concurrently and another UART to to communicate with the micromite.

I might want, say 24 channels of PWM and so I'd have 3 Prop cogs (CPUs) doing this.

I might want to read, say, 12 quadrature encoders and feed the counts to the micromite. A single cog can do this.

Need a few 80MHz counters? No problem, the Prop has 16 of them.

The possibilities are endless and this is only the Prop-1. Prop-2 takes things to another level; need 64 16bit DACs? No problem.

Many use the Prop as a single chip solution whereas I use it a configurable high-speed peripheral.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:29pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  @matherp: It's starting to look like you don't want anyone to be aware of anything other than MMBASIC but that's not the heading of this forum.

You might not be interested in the Prop but clearly, I have recently provided some with food for thought. Isn't this what forums are for?

This thread was about a different processor/language. Start a new thread for the propeller then those that want can ignore it.

knivd

Posted: 09:56pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have taken on board the suggestions regarding the serial console, and will try to include it sooner than my original plans. But ultimately, it is all about the fun of making. The project is there on the website, completely open and free, and whether you like it or not, that's entirely up to you.

Tinine said  He made a false statement and I corrected it. Problem with that?

No, it is not false. You should read the word "powerful" in the context I have used it. The Propeller is unable to work entirely on its own as a single-chip solution. As an absolute minimum, it requires the external EEPROM to boot from. In contrast, PIC32MX can work without any external supporting logic; it only needs power. Beside that, it has much more internal memory than the Propeller, and that is very important in a system already quite limited on that part.
I have made a few boards with the Propeller in the past, and although on paper it looks great, in reality working with it is not so amazing. A simple proof is also the fact that 15 years after its release it still remains pretty much an exotic thing, unknown to the majority of engineers. It does have its merits indeed, but not for this project. Totally different topic, anyway.
Edited 2021-03-08 07:57 by knivd

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:08pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Challenge:
Make a list of what you can do with the MX170 that I can't do with the Prop and I will do the reverse. I _will_ win this. We are talking about micro-controllers here. I would like first of all to see your solution for a 6-axis anthropomorphic robot, closed-loop like a real robot, no Mickey Mouse stepper motor bullcr@p...I need only an external EEPROM...and you?

What have you done with the Prop?

Do you make a living with MCUs? I do and I would starve if all I have is the MX170.
Edited 2021-03-08 09:14 by Tinine

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, the Prop isn't mainstream but what mainstream people don't get is that if you don't subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, let's break it" train of thought then they'd better be OK with mediocrity.

I always looked for different better solutions and in my mid-twenties, I had the gall to stick a beige box PC as a control system on a huge piece of machinery. The client was General Motors and the the cost was $600K+
I'm sure you can imagine the grief I got from the pocket protector brigade.

A few years later (my name is Craig Webster)

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/19970908/SUB/709080911/small-business-a-new-twist-on-computer-helps-him-bend-tubing

Yeah, I love those who stick with conventional indoctrination. I just eat their lunch  

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:51pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  

Oh and I missed this..."respect" coming from the guy who all too frequently responds to forum members like they are a lower form of life. Mather, seriously, get over yourself...you ain't that special.

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:43am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
  matherp said  

Oh and I missed this..."respect" coming from the guy who all too frequently responds to forum members like they are a lower form of life. Mather, seriously, get over yourself...you ain't that special.

Language unbecoming!

By all means promote any micro topic you choose but don't attack others - start your own thread; don't hijack threads and be courteous in your posts! There is no place here for "my willy is bigger than yours"!

I for one, would like to publicly congratulate and thank matherp for his selfless and very generous contributions to the forum - I have had many very happy hours "playing" with the results of his contributions.
Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 04:12am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@panky

Clearly you don't read between the lines very well if you don't see what happened.

As far as @matherp is concerned, this is not about "respect" for the OP, it's about the fact that I brought up the Propeller again.

Summary:
OP states that the PIC32MX170 is the most powerful thru-hole MCU available, after someone else pointed out that it has limited I/O.

So with a simple screen capture, I show a more powerful thru-hole processor that has 28/30 available pins which can assume many different roles.
Other members subsequently posted questions and I responded. Mather then jumps in to say "respect the authors idea"...huh???

Then I posted a thread to show how another interactive language on the PIC32MX170 totally blows away MMBASIC in terms of execution speed and user-available flash memory and guess who immediately jumps in to try to discredit me   Yup, more-megahertz-Mather. He failed miserably and went away with his tail between his legs.

This is the problem when something is free...the provider becomes a prima donna and expects to have his butt kissed. Yeah, I don't do that BS.

Geoff Graham, however, is a true gentleman who has respect for others.
I have an email from Geoff where he states that his reward is simply knowing that people are putting MMBASIC to good use.

Give me the holier-than-thou routine and it's game-on  

panky

Guru

Posted: 04:22am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  @panky

This is the problem when something is free...the provider becomes a prima donna and expects to have his butt kissed. Yeah, I don't do that BS.

Give me the holier-than-thou routine and it's game-on  

I bow to your limitless knowledge and self agrandisement - I look forward to your contributions.

Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Swartz

Posted: 06:55am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ugh!
I think I will go hang out in FB for a while to get my fair share of abuse.    

KNIVD - is your project intended for a specific use?

Swartz

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow... this is getting hotter than another forum I use (where I'm a mod). lol

To be fair, Tinine, you did attempt to hijack the thread, even though you were, in your eyes, correcting an opinion about the MX170. IMHO it would have been more polite to open another thread starting, for example, "Another member has offered he opinion in another thread that the MX170 is superior to the Propeller. I would like to correct this here."

The Propeller and the MX170 are *entirely* different concepts designed for different purposes. It's not really fair to compare them. You may as well throw the Z80 into the mix and point out that it must be the best because it has CP/M optimized for it. They don't even have the same number of pins. :) If we're going to compare stuff then at least let's state for what purpose. The argument that the MX170 is completely self-contained is a fair one, especially when low I/O count and very few (if any) interrupts are needed. It is, indeed, superior to the Propeller in this instance as it is smaller, lower power and cheaper to implement but still does the job.

If Knivd decided to make a peripheral giving access to half a dozen serial ports, for example, then using a Propeller for that, and using a serial interface back to his board would be better than using another MX170. It's horses for courses.

@Knivd: I love this little thing. I've been reading the info on your site. :) I hope the editor sounds more complicated to use than it really is. lol
Edited 2021-03-08 18:58 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 09:20am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mixtel90

I just get excited about this stuff. There's this irritating poster on the Parallax forum who keeps harping-on about the Micromite...oops, that would be me  

Z80? Nah, the Prop can run CPM  

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024