Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:40 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM+ E100 with "Not enough memory"

Page 2 of 5    
TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:32pm 27 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bowden_P said  
Doesn't the interpreter have to match ALL the characters of a variable to ensure accuracy, so the exact order of differences woun't affect finding it ? Apologies if I'm showing my ignorance !

Paul.

A match needs all bytes tested but a 'failed match' will move onto the next one as soon as a mismatch is found. Having the mismatch early in the data means it gets found sooner.

You can test this in your own code.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Bowden_P

Posted: 11:22pm 27 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the tacit explanation TassyJim - I thought I would be showing my ignorance!! Best to know what you don't know, rather than to think you know, and don't.

With regards, Paul.
Nothing so constant as change.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:02am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are no "silly" or "pointless" questions providing someone learns something from the answers. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:17am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Doesn't the interpreter have to match ALL the characters of a variable to ensure accuracy, so the exact order of differences woun't affect finding it ?

The latest Micromite versions (and the ArmmiteF4) match variable names 4 bytes at a time by sequential search. A non match can therefore be found with a single compare if the difference is in the first four characters. Of course to confirm an actual match all bytes need to be compared which takes the variable-name-length/4 compares.

The CMM2 and now the ArmmiteH7 use a hashing mechanism on the variable name to allow much faster matching but other MMBasic variants don't have enough memory to do this.

In addition the CMM2 also uses hashing on functions, subroutines and labels

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 07:59am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bowden_P said  Hi disco4now,

It's a real shame that the LENGTH option doesn't apply to single string variables. I would use that a lot if it did. Would that be possible as an enhancement to MMBasic ?

LENGTH works in MM for DOS:

DIM A AS STRING LENGTH 50

makes string A length 50.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:08am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  LENGTH works in MM for DOS:

Still allocates 256 bytes

Quote  It's a real shame that the LENGTH option doesn't apply to single string variables. I would use that a lot if it did. Would that be possible as an enhancement to MMBasic ?

No, without a major re-write. MMBasic manages its own heap and allocation of memory in the heap is in chucks of 256 bytes. This is core to the way the firmware works
Edited 2021-04-28 18:11 by matherp

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 08:32am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  LENGTH works in MM for DOS:

Still allocates 256 bytes

Oops! You're right, of course. Not giving a syntax error is not the same as working.

MustardMan

Posted: 09:34am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very interesting indeed... I have been using things like 'DIM a$ LENGTH 5' for some while, thinking I was saving memory, and never considered it used the same amount of memory as a full length string! But like has been pointed out - try to assign 'a$="123456789"' and you get an error.

It raises another question about memory: does the MEMORY command only calculate usage roughly, or does it compute the exact amount and just round it off to 'K' for display purposes?

It would be great if it could display to the byte (or word)!

Cheers,

Bowden_P

Posted: 11:23am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the detail about strings - looks like I'm not the only one to benefit from your clarification !!

I intend to use the #REPLACE technique suggested by "disco4now" to reduce memory usage. I use the "OPTION EXPLICIT" for variable names, using the type suffix " % ", " ! ", or " $ " characters. Will this be included in a variable name's character count of 4, when searching is done 4-at-a-time on the "shortname" replacement name?

e.g. For best efficiency, should the "shortname" be ABC$ or is ABCD$ equally fast ?

With regards, Paul.

p.s. I - like Mustardman - would like to see the MEMORY detail enhanced too if possible.
Edited 2021-04-28 21:28 by Bowden_P

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:04pm 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The memory command is accurate. There is no point going to the byte level as the MMbasic interpreter also uses memory when it is evaluating expressions etc. so the amount free is constantly changing. You shouldn't get hung up on the difference between 4 characters or 5, we are talking a trivial difference in performance that you would never be able to measure. The thing that makes a difference is being discrete in the first four characters although even that is a small effect

Bowden_P

Posted: 11:24am 29 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi disco4now,
I'm having trouble with getting #REPLACE to work, and have PM'd you so as to not side-track this post.

I would be most grateful for any help.

With regards, Paul.

MustardMan

Posted: 07:43am 30 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bowden_P said  ...PM'd you so as to not side-track this post...

In opposition: could you reply to this post as I too have had trouble and might be able to pick up some pointers?

Cheers,

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 08:30am 30 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have updated the MMReplace thread to include a 32bit version.
MMReplace
Latest F4 Latest H7

Bowden_P

Posted: 05:20pm 30 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi disco4now and MustardMan,
Thanks for the updated files. I have just run the Test1 code and it has worked fine. Performance figures on my MM+ E100 at 100MHz are :-
  3557 un-#REPLACE'd
  2090 #REPLACE'd.

Apologies to MustardMan - I did not mean to cause any offense by my P.M. to disco4now, I just wanted to avoid my embarrassment at being an idiot in most things PC. I can use the machine for applications, but rapidly run out of knowledge when it comes to delving any deeper! I assumed it's erroring was something I had messed up somehow.

Many thanks, Paul.

Bowden_P

Posted: 07:53pm 30 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In an experiment with #REPLACE I tried to get it to "replace" the single character "_" with nothing - and promptly crashed MMEdit. That'll teach me !!

The reason for this trial was to see if I could use it to remove the underscore character from my code - of which there are thousands I imagine. No such luck.

With regards, Paul.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:44pm 30 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bowden_P said  
The reason for this trial was to see if I could use it to remove the underscore character from my code - of which there are thousands I imagine. No such luck.

With regards, Paul.

If all you want to do is remove all underscores, I would use Notepad++ to do a global replace.

I have deliberately not put global replace in MMEdit despite many requests.
I consider it too powerful and risky in the wrong hands.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Bowden_P

Posted: 12:39pm 01 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TassyJim,
Thanks for the Notepad++ info on global replace. I know how dangerous it can be, and have only used it very carefully, especially when Windows doesn't keep previous versions of files to revert to if something obscure or unintentional goes wrong!
With regards, Paul.

Bowden_P

Posted: 08:43pm 04 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone,
I have been editing my program to use both Captain Boing's flag manipulation techniques, and also disco4now's #REPLACE external program for MMEdit. Both have resulted in significant savings of memory.

My 67 flags are now kept in 2 integers, each having 4 very short subs to manipulate them. The #REPLACE replaces the meaningful flag names with a specified bit number, before Crunching for Load. I have also used #REPLACE for storing 4 often used strings into a string array, limited by the LENGTH option to use 52 bytes for character storage, rather than the original 1024.

What I have found however, is that #REPLACE gets a bit too enthusiastic in its action of replacing the specified strings, into unintended places !!

So :-
 dim G$(4) length 13
 #replace Fn$ G$(1)
 #replace Md$ G$(2)
 #replace Stg$ G$(3)
 #replace Prt$ G$(4)

works well for :-
     "SELECT CASE Fn$+Md$"  which becomes  "SELECT CASE G$(1)+G$(2)"
or    "SELECT CASE Prt$"     which becomes  "SELECT CASE G$(4)"

but not for :-
     "Tx_Str$=Tx_Msg_Type$+Tx_Msg_Prt$"  which becomes
     "Tx_Str$=Tx_Msg_Type$+Tx_Msg_G$(4)"

Not quite the wished-for result!

I'm wondering if #REPLACE could be made more selective to avoid changing strings it shouldn't ?

With regards, Paul.

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 10:40pm 04 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,
Its just a simple string replacement with no special rules or intelligence so will do what you are seeing. You can make use of the fact that the replacements are done sequentially in the order they are listed to help.
Rename the one you want to preserve before the other replaces and then put it back after.e.g.

#replace Tx_Msg_Prt$ Tx_Msg_KEEPME
#replace Fn$ G$(1)
#replace Md$ G$(2)
#replace Stg$ G$(3)
#replace Prt$ G$(4)
#replace Tx_Msg_KEEPME Tx_Msg_Prt$

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:42pm 04 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bowden_P said  Hi everyone,
I have been editing my program to use both Captain Boing's flag manipulation techniques, and also disco4now's #REPLACE external program for MMEdit. Both have resulted in significant savings of memory.

works well for :-
     "SELECT CASE Fn$+Md$"  which becomes  "SELECT CASE G$(1)+G$(2)"
or    "SELECT CASE Prt$"     which becomes  "SELECT CASE G$(4)"

but not for :-
     "Tx_Str$=Tx_Msg_Type$+Tx_Msg_Prt$"  which becomes
     "Tx_Str$=Tx_Msg_Type$+Tx_Msg_G$(4)"

Not quite the wished-for result!

I'm wondering if #REPLACE could be made more selective to avoid changing strings it shouldn't ?

With regards, Paul.

This is the main reason why I prefer not to go down that rabbit hole.
Gerry has allowed for strings being substrings at the start and middle, but not at the end.
This is done by making sure that the character following the searched for string is a 'separator'
It will need a complete rethink to check the preceding character as well to cater for both possibilities.

As it's main purpose is to replace long strings with short ones, this is not usually an issue.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Page 2 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024