Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:59 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMB4L: MMBasic for Linux alpha release

Page 4 of 11    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:14pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Your previous response showed you had no gpio12 so please explain where it has come from.

Good question, but since without leaving MMB4L and immediately re-running the program, it moved on to the next pin, it would appear that despite complaining that the "direction" file didn't exist, it created it (and there's nothing else in the .bas program which would have done it).

Quote  I'm afraid it's something you're doing or not doing rather than something wrong with Linux.

I've certainly never said or implied that I thought there was anything wrong with Linux, and I personally have no problem with having to use "sudo mmbasic" to use the gpio pins. I've just been following suggestions people have made to resolve the issue (+issue+, not +problem+).

Quote  You look to have left out important information, thus making assistance impossible.

I posted the program I was using above. I've slightly modified it to follow the suggestions, so here it is again. (Start with "mmbasic" from the Linux prompt, and at the mmb4l prompt enter 'load "pinpi.bas"' and then 'run'--if you start with "sudo mmbasic" it will run without falling over.)

' pinpi.bas performs digital I/O with MMB4L
'
dim integer i,j,k,p(4)=(0,12,16,20,21)
dim integer pState(16)
dim integer q(4)=(0,25,8,7,1), dout=1, din=0

for i=1 to 4
 setpin p(i),dout
 cmd$="echo '1' > /sys/class/gpio/gpio"+str$(p(i))+"/value"
 system(cmd$)
 pause 500
next
for i=1 to 4
 setpin q(i),din
 cmd$="echo '0' > /sys/class/gpio/gpio"+str$(p(i))+"/value"
 system(cmd$)
 pause 500
next

do
 for i=1 to 4
   open "/sys/class/gpio/gpio"+str$(q(i))+"/value" for input as #1
   a$=input$(1,#1): close #1 ' 0 or 1
   cmd$="echo '"+a$+"' > /sys/class/gpio/gpio"+str$(p(i))+"/value"
'    print cmd$
   system(cmd$)
 next i
 pause 2000
loop

sub setpin(pinno as integer, pinmode as integer)
 local string dirname$, cmd$
 dirname$="/sys/class/gpio/gpio"+str$(pinno)
 if not MM.INFO(EXISTS DIR dirname$) then
   cmd$="echo '"+str$(pinno)+"' > /sys/class/gpio/export 2>/dev/null"
'    print cmd$
   system(cmd$)
 endif
 dirname$=dirname$+"/direction"
 if pinmode then
   cmd$="echo 'out' > "+dirname$
 else
   cmd$="echo 'in' > "+dirname$
   system(cmd$)
   cmd$="gpio -g mode "+str$(pinno)+" up" ' set weak pullup
 endif
 ?pinno,cmd$
 system(cmd$)
end sub

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:38pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I believe that on the Pi there is a problem getting user access to the GPIO pins because you are attempting to access registers on the SOC. Those registers are only accessible to root as changing them can crash the system. Having said that, there is apparently a special way to give access to just the GPIO registers while locking out the other registers. The question is, does that system actually work correctly? This problem doesn't occur with a "normal" linux but probably does if it runs on any SOC where the GPIO pins are in SOC registers.
Edited 2021-09-28 03:40 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:39pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  JohnS said  Does it now work without needing to be root/sudo? The above looks good.

No. Still fails at "echo 'out' > /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/direction" with "sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/direction: Permission denied"

Obviously I don't know what you have done up to that point but if you're doing the above as non-root you appear to be trying to create and/or write to a file/path in a part of the file system where you don't have create and/or write permission.  Thus the error.

You may get clues from
ls -l /sys/class/gpio/gpio12
and (if it's a directory) from
ls -l /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/direction

If any of those are links (symbolic or otherwise) then ls -l on their destination or try -L (capital l) as well as -l.

It's probably due to running some commands as root (sudo mmbasic etc) and some not.

John

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:42pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  JohnS said  BTW, despite Peter's unhelpful snipes (which you would be wise to ignore) I'm afraid it's something you're doing or not doing rather than something wrong with Linux.

Perhaps that is part of it, but the Pi does appear to be quirky and apocraphally GPIO seems to be in a constant state of flux, with different people (I'm not talking about the denziens of TBS) reporting different things on different versions and then writing incoherent solutions that looks like they've done a lot of random sh*t and then guessed what fixed their problem ... or maybe that is just me.

No, I think it's them (random and incoherent stuff etc).

thwill said  Is there something that needs to be done with /dev/mem ?

I very much doubt it.

thwill said  https://www.element14.com/community/thread/19995/l/anyone-know-how-to-access-raspi-gpio-without-sudo

Best wishes,

Tom

Oh ye gods. Best forgotten. (I bailed before the end.)

John

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:45pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  Quote  I'm afraid it's something you're doing or not doing rather than something wrong with Linux.

I've certainly never said or implied that I thought there was anything wrong with Linux

That's OK, I never said (or at least I didn't mean to if I did!) you thought that.

John

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:50pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  You may get clues from
ls -l /sys/class/gpio/gpio12
and (if it's a directory) from
ls -l /sys/class/gpio/gpio12/direction

Upon power-up, the directory /sys/class/gpio/gpio12 doesn't exist (and therefor the file, "direction" doesn't either). What the program does is create that directory and that file. It does so successfully when run with "sudo mmbasic", but not with "mmbasic" (unless you run it 9 times successively--which results in the 8 files having been created somehow despite the program erroring out).

As I said, I have no problem with running "sudo mmbasic", but if others have suggestions about how it can be run successfully without the "sudo", I'll be happy to try them.

I should note also as I said in my first post about this method of digital I/O to pins in Tom's alpha release of MMB4L that this technique is "a hack". It uses system calls to access the pins, and is not the method which would/will be used when the function is incorporated into the firmware. Whether and where the eventual method used will require "sudo" I don't know.
Edited 2021-09-28 07:42 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:48pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm wondering if the export takes longer than the program takes to move on to the next  system command.

That would mean the setpin sub may need a delay (or something else which allows the  OS in). Maybe add a system("sleep 1") which I think would cover both ideas.

John

lizby
Guru

Posted: 09:48pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  I'm wondering if the export takes longer than the program takes to move on to the next  system command.

That would mean the setpin sub may need a delay (or something else which allows the  OS in). Maybe add a system("sleep 1") which I think would cover both ideas.

Bingo! Adding PAUSE 500 after each system call makes it work. Thanks.

For that matter, it works with PAUSE 100.
Edited 2021-09-28 07:52 by lizby

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:40pm 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hooray - thanks for trying it!

John

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:51am 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now we know some time is needed properly to populate the file system when changes are made, it explains why it would progress a bit further on each run.

It also fits with some comments about gpio access via the file system in that manner being slow.

John

tgerbic

Posted: 07:17am 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried it out on my Fedora 34 linux workstation (AMD x86-64 5.13.19 kernel) and it works fine. I used the mmb4l-2021.01.00-a1-x86_64.tgz version and loaded nano 5.8. Set the environment variable for working directory. Works fine as a non-root user. Runs like lightning. Tried a couple of simple programs and it worked ok. Tried a couple of complex ones and hit a lot of expected function related errors. Should be better as the application progresses.

Seems to work fine otherwise. Will play with it a bit more tomorrow.

Regards
Tony

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:27am 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Bingo! Adding PAUSE 500 after each system call makes it work. Thanks.

Does this mean it now works without "sudo", just requiring the user to be a member of the "gpio" group, or is the problem that has been solved something else ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:44am 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tony,

Thanks for giving it a spin.

tgerbic said  I tried it out on my Fedora 34 linux workstation (AMD x86-64 5.13.19 kernel) and it works fine.

That is quite the cutting-edge Linux.

tgerbic said  I used the mmb4l-2021.01.00-a1-x86_64.tgz version ...

Future releases will be built on a pair of Xubuntu 18 VMs (32 & 64 bit) which should ensure they don't depend on unnecessarily late versions of GLIBC and thus don't require the most recent Linux distros.

My development environment will still be Ubuntu 20.

tgerbic said   and loaded nano 5.8. Set the environment variable for working directory. Works fine as a non-root user ...

The "root user" business which is filling this thread is very specific to using the GPIO on the Raspberry Pi build. TBH what @lizby has achieved on the Raspberry Pi using the SYSTEM command is just an interesting diversion, it didn't figure in the original MMB4L concept and now that GPIO support does seem to be on the MMB4L roadmap it is unlikely to be done via directly talking to the "file system".

tgerbic said  Runs like lightning.

I should hope so too on an x86-64 rather than a 32-bit microcontroller with delusions of grandeur. Should get a little bit faster still when I port @matherp's hash-based variable/sub/function lookup code from the CMM2.

tgerbic said  Tried a couple of simple programs and it worked ok. Tried a couple of complex ones and hit a lot of expected function related errors.

I'd appreciate hearing about stuff that didn't work; provided it wasn't related to high-resolution graphics, sound or GPIO. Perhaps it is something I thought did work but have no unit-test for, or perhaps it is low-hanging fruit that could be implemented (a.k.a. copied from @matherp's code) in the next alpha.

tgerbic said  Should be better as the application progresses.

20+ years in commercial software development tells me that continuous improvement is "not a done deal" .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-09-28 19:48 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:56am 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The RPi isn't a "standard" platform for linux by any means. It doesn't matter how you look at it, it's a SOC that those who haven't signed a NDA have restricted access to. You talk to the GPIO on their terms!
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:12am 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

As an experiment and in a possibly vain attempt to maintain focus I've spun out a new MMB4L: The Raspberry Pi GPIO thread for discussion of Raspberry Pi GPIO with MMB4L and lamentation of the death of the PiCRomite.

Any discussion of other aspects of MMB4L alpha are welcome here .

Best wishes,

Tom

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  lizby said  Bingo! Adding PAUSE 500 after each system call makes it work. Thanks.

Does this mean it now works without "sudo", just requiring the user to be a member of the "gpio" group, or is the problem that has been solved something else ?

Best wishes,

Tom
I understand you just need to be in gpio and to have a short delay after (each? most? some?) file system (well, gpio subsystem) change.

I don't know if anyone will want to fine tune the delays. It's handy to have a short  test program, regardless of delay length.

John

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:49pm 28 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

for many folks, just being able to set a few pins high/low or read a few switch inputs would likely suffice. there is also a serial port on a couple of the pins, which would then open up the opportunity to connect a slave mx170 (itself running mmbasic) to use as an 'intelligent peripheral'.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2021-09-28 23:50 by robert.rozee

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:23am 29 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tom,

My personal preference would be that MMB4L supports serial port (USB serial port) as it is the only non-protocol I/O that still exists in the PC world.

Other interfaces (ethernet, wifi, bluetooth) require drivers and protocols that in many cases are supported by Linux, but these API's may be diverse and difficult to support. Especially from an interpreter running at user level in a multitasking system. It could end up in endless MMB4L versions to keep it running on the variety of systems end expectations out in the field.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:41am 29 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suppose the beauty of serial is that it's more or less platform independent. Serial to/from anything else can be left up to external hardware. It's a matter of keeping the speed high enough.
Mick

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:11am 29 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Back before Peter's RPI basic had serial port support, I experimented with treating the serial as a file.
  Quote  ' linux serial test program

OPEN "/dev/ttyUSB0" FOR RANDOM AS #5 ' open the serial port

PRINT #5, "HELLO!!! Is anyone out there?"

DO ' one way to receive serial data which might not be there!
    k$ = 
INPUT$(1,#5)

IF k$="" THEN
      nodata=nodata+

ELSE
      result$=result$+k$

PRINT result$
      nodata=

ENDIF

PAUSE 20

LOOP UNTIL k$=CHR$(10)OR nodata=50 ' 50*20ms = 1 second timeout

CLOSE #5

Not sure if the same code works on Tom's code. I am not in a position to play with Linux at the moment.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Page 4 of 11    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024