Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:00 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Batteries and Charging

Page 2 of 3    
bob.steel

Posted: 08:54am 19 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do you guys just not know how to share a link or can't be bothered to learn?

Up above is a link button ...click on it .

First will come a n entry so you can type in what text you want to show up in link colours.

Then the next will be where you enter the link . delete what comes up and paste in the link you are copying.

All done .

Now a bit more ..some of the links people are sharing are on their mobiles as is this one .

Just click on it and it will come up compressed . Then up the top in the links address just go up and delete "mobile" then enter and it will come up full page .
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic_mobile.php?TID=12083&P=2
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12083&P=2
Edited 2022-02-19 19:03 by bob.steel

Old Seagull Man

Posted: 01:29pm 19 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Old Seagull Man said  I know you have a diesel or two.

What i do up on the farm is use a 13hp 7.5kw Chinese St generator, and feed the 2, 120 volt windings to a couple of big bridge packs.

I end up with about 135v at 35 amps and feed that to an old 180v solar charge controller.

Charges them quite well, but always make me want fish and chips when i do it.

but Im shore there will be many more elegant solutions .

Sorry will try to explain a little better

The generator in question, is Philippines special, or Asian market only I'm told.
It came to OZ on a fishing boat,in the late 90's.

It is a 110v and 220v  generator. Used in villages and fishing boats.
The Dog box has four terminals, on it like you would find on the cheap Chinese 3 phase jobs. with a volt meter and a Rheostat, to control its output.

Voltage wise you get 110v Ac between T1 and T2 and 110v AC between T3 and T4, and 220v AC from T1 and T4.

So it has two 110v AC outputs.
Or one 220v output.

I connect a very high quality 1600v 250 amp Ali Express Bridge pack to each of the outputs. (probably safe to about 415v at 20 real Amps)

Each pair of leads is then connected to an old charge controller, with a couple of coke can sized caps. From a old mainframe power supply. Adjusting the rheostat, gives between 125 and 170v DC.

Hope that's a little less confusing.

Sorry no pictures of the Dongfeng Happy swallow.
the Name is the only thing on it in English. And its about 250klms from me at the moment.

bob.steel

Posted: 06:09pm 19 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Old Seagull man .
The pictures of Dongfeng Happy Swallow sound like something you would only get in the Phillipines.

Is this the item you mean? Single phase
Edited 2022-02-20 04:15 by bob.steel

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 19 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://outbax.com.au/2-5kva-kw-silent-inverter-generator

I have one of these old seagull man, reasonably quiet, and good efficiency.. runs for about 7 hours at 2kw on a tank..
I think it works !!

Old Seagull Man

Posted: 01:09am 20 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bob.steel said  Thanks Old Seagull man .
The pictures of Dongfeng Happy Swallow sound like something you would only get in the Phillipines.

Is this the item you mean? Single phase

That's, them, exactly. Dam, yours are cheaper.

johnmc

Posted: 12:18am 25 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How safe are electric cars and will this also apply to solar power packs.

See the ship on  fire and cast adrift 24-2-2022 with electric porche bentley cars
on fire.

https://rivercitymalone.com/health/how-safe-are-electric-cars/

Cheers john
johnmc

pd--

Posted: 10:27am 25 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Electric cars are very safe compared to petrol cars, a few searches showed figures as follows, note its early days but all sources i found where similar.

electric 0.03% chance of ignition
Petrol 1.5% chance of ignition

The problem batteries are the ones that contain cobalt , they are susceptible to thermal runaway.

Car manufactures are weening themselves of cobalt
most home batteries are lithium iron phosphate ( no cobalt )

The problem with lithium batteries is that you basically need to let them burn themselves out.

Many petrol cars have transmissions and engine components with high magnesium content
when the magnesium catches fire you cannot extinguish it either.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:14am 25 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I haven't Watched the video, Couldn't be bothered, there have been a lot of vehicle fires over the years in tunnels and ships long before any electric cars.
With the batteries its well known that they are supposed to be discharged before they are loaded onto aircraft.....For shipping by boat Perhaps its not required I don't know.
Cells can and do short, but usually not from new (unless someone has done a crap job on quality control), but a wiring or some electrical fault can result in a burnt car and batteries, how sure are they that a cell is the culprit?
I do wonder if we will get the truth from any investigation, very hard to get truth these days.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:46pm 26 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With all the rain and flooding here in SEQ there has been bugger all solar, so for the first time in over a year I had to get the Generator and battery charger going, the old Telecom battery charger was putting 50Amp @ 54v into the batteries, it later dropped back to around 40Amp, It was just a bulk charge no need to go all the way to full.
The old Lister diesel was running on Waste Veg Oil for around 2hrs, easy job for it, better to charge the batteries a bit than let them get too low.    
The controller in the battery charger is getting a bit old and playing up a bit, something else to fix.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:12am 27 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revlac said  
The old Lister diesel was running on Waste Veg Oil for around 2hrs, easy job for it,

Another Lister /Veg proponent with Old seagull man and myself.
What do you have? Cs 6/1?
I'm looking for a CS, anything from 6 HP up but far and few and very expensive between.
There is a guy not too far away selling a 3 Hp but too small for me to really do anything practical with.
The other thing I'd go for is a Kubota but they seemed to all have dried up as well.

The day before the rain came one of my ( overclocked) inverters was putting out 150w over rating.  The next day at 11 am it was putting out 384W and the Highest I saw it go all day was 6XX.  It is amazing how much fall off their can be and this is still summer!

The rain here has been unrelenting for a week in Sydney although a bit of sunshine this morning but I can see the black rolling in. I'm more worried about the substantial rain forecast for the rest of the week. The ground here is saturated well and truly and that makes anything else pure run off.

I'm on acreage and I can't believe how many mowers I can hear this morning.  It was pouring all day yesterday, the top soil is like gravy and these twits are out there on their rideons  leaving tracks like it's a mud bog Park.  Yeah, wouldn't want anyone to think the place looked untidy because you hadn't mown the lawn, chop it all up  with the mower instead and really make it look crap.

Quote  better to charge the batteries a bit than let them get too low.  

Not like it's costing you anything to top them up and cheaper than shortening their life! Trying to stock up on Veg atm but the weather is not being kind to that endeavor and so many eateries have closed up here as well.

I'm wanting the oil to feed a co gen system and for house heating just with a burner.
Between the heat and now the rain, I can see I'm going to be pushing to get these things done in time like I never got to them in time last winter. It's on my mind but the ability to do it is different.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:15am 27 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its a Lister ST2, about 12HP and runs at 1500RPM, with I think a Stamford alternator,  my Avatar is a photo of it.

Kubota's are quite good gear, but can be very expensive and hard to get parts for when you need to fix something on an uncommon model (myself and several others have found out the hard way), So I'm learning to avoid them, If its a common kubota model It should  be no problem to get parts if needed.

The 3Kw set of solar panels spent a lot of time at 50w or less, did see a low of 15w, because the cloud cover was so thick.  

Something to think about, from what I have heard most people off grid, have there batteries charged (on a good sunny day) around 9:00AM to 10:30 or so average,  so not a long time to do the bulk charge, It would be nice if the engine and generator is capable of roughly the same power, so it might only take a few hours maximum to get a bulk charge, a small genset and charger would probably take most of the day and half the night in comparison, This will vary greatly depending on the size battery storage.  

There will probably be a few different opinions on this and I would like to see them because the cost of going bigger has to be considered as well.
Had this sort of gear already so, it was far cheaper to run a geny once in a while than pay a lot more for extra battery storage, this will vary a lot depending on location......usually sunny and dry here.  

I have a clean 20l container of filtered veg oil, been sitting for a few years, used a bit today and it was getting a bit thick and a different smell compared to the fresh stuff, can this be thinned a bit somehow?

Yeah, wet as all hell here, a gust of wind and there will be more trees down, haven't finished cleaning up after the last storm.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:57am 28 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revlac said  Its a Lister ST2, about 12HP and runs at 1500RPM, with I think a Stamford alternator,  my Avatar is a photo of it.

Should have made the connection.
I'm really wanting a water cooled atm to try and put in a soundproof or at least make it tolerable so I can put it near the house for a co gen system.
I had an ST, far too loud for my needs.  There are a few of them around though but the noise alone would be a killer for me.

If its a common kubota model It should  be no problem to get parts if needed.I have 902 in my 4 WS Mower I am eyeing off. Bit of a shame to wreck the mower but I got it cheap and there are a lot of things need doing to it.  I may be able to sell it sans engine for what I paid for the whole thing. The decks alone are worth a fortune.

The motor runs well and would tick the boxes. Plenty of power so I could probably run it slow and quiet and is pretty quiet to start with. There used to be a few of the engines only for sale but I hardly see any at all now.
Only think might be a flywheel adapter but there may be something on the mower I could adapt as well.

The 3Kw set of solar panels spent a lot of time at 50w or less, did see a low of 15w, because the cloud cover was so thick.  

Yeah, we got some incredibly dark spells here also.  Freaky to see it that dark in the middle of the day.

Quote   It would be nice if the engine and generator is capable of roughly the same power, so it might only take a few hours maximum to get a bulk charge, a small genset and charger would probably take most of the day and half the night in comparison,

I would ideally like the generator to be capable of the inverter output if not more. That way there is power to run what I want and hopefully some to spare.  Waiting for a couple of 2KW power packs which will be great and I'll keep an eye out for a Forklift charger as well in single phase.

Quote  I have a clean 20l container of filtered veg oil, been sitting for a few years, used a bit today and it was getting a bit thick and a different smell compared to the fresh stuff, can this be thinned a bit somehow?

I take it the container was sealed though when they are there usually isn't any Polymerization which is the cause of the usually varnish smell. Also helps immensely if the oil is dried before storage.
The degradation of veg is like the Triangle of fire. In this case you need water and oxygen to get it to turn and if you exclude them the stuff keeps a very long time.
Light is the 3rd component but any 2 seem to cause the degradation.

I don't believe any oil is too far gone. For Chits and Giggles I have run the most reaking filthy slop Imaginable and take out the crud and the water and it all comes good. The thing is how much you have left once you clean it up.  When it's bad you can loose 30% of what you started with and that's not having the stuff loaded with free water, that's easy to  separate out just by heat and settle.  I'm talking dissolved water which also  bonds to the particles so removing the crud can take a lot of the water with it.  I believe one can get perfectly clear shiny oil out of any slop, question is if you are that desperate you need to do it in the first place.

As for thinning, the best 2 agents for that are Kero and Turps.  Can't get bulk kero anywhere around here any more and turps is expensive.  I was getting some Printing machine wash for a while which was just turps.  Getting it from IBC's from a print place that would leave about 30-50L in them  which I was happy to pump out.
Turbine Fuel is glorified Kero and you may be able to get that from a hangar that does jet maintenance although I believe many get paid for it now. Wouldn't be much so if there is anyone about might be worth hitting them up. I was cheaper than Diesel a while back but they were reluctant to sell it from the airport. I told them I wanted it for parts washing and they were happy with that. If they think it's for anything taxable like road or machinery use they generally won't sell it to you.

The next best thing is petrol, the good Non ethanol stuff. The other crap causes all sorts of problems. Sucks moisture out the air like no tomorrow, boils 20oC lower than normal petrol causing vapor lock and wreaks havoc on seals and some plastics. Avoid at all cost unless you can use it all at once.

5-10% is good and 5% will restore lost power from the difference in the timing between the burn rate for veg and Diesel if you haven't re timed the engine which 99% of people haven't.

I don't recommend 15% Unless it' basically freezing cold. My old W123 Mercedes manual used to recommend up to 30% in the handbook but I think that was at 30o below Freezing.  I think power would be down to hell at that ratio  and those things had bugger all power to start with. That said a mate rebuilt his and turned the pump up and the thing was scary fast. Hard to believe it hadn't been turboed. Surprising thing was it ran clean too.  

It may well be worth re processing this stuff.  Dry it by aeration and re filter it.
Once it's dried it should thin out and the smell will go as well. The oil should be shiny and clear like glass. If it's not it's water contaminated at least and may have fats as well which can thicken it up.  Pour it through a reusable shopping bag as they make quite good filters and fat catchers and do it when it's as cold as you can get it.  also do it 2-3 Times because once you get a thin layer of fat, the drain speed will slow down which is what you want because the fat layer is now filtering finer.

I pump the stuff back into itself  to bubble it up to get the air in and the moisture out and have a fan over the top SUCKING the air out so it's not moisture laden going back into itself.  I tried a fan blowing in and for whatever reason I can't explain, It does not work and the oil does not dry nearly as well.  Every few years I think this makes no sense and try it again and same result.  Cannot explain it but I sure can demonstrate it easy enough.

Whenever you store oil it MUST be sealed. Even if there is some air in the drum like half full, there is no air exchange and the amount of moisture is Limited where as if the container is open, heat and cool cycles would bring more air and moisture in.

Quote  Yeah, wet as all hell here, a gust of wind and there will be more trees down, haven't finished cleaning up after the last storm.

I was amazed yesterday. Went and checked the rain gauges I had emptied 2 days ( not even full days before) and they were over flowing. Both only got to 120mm .

I think there is a prediction for 70MM tomorrow and 120 on Wednesday.
I got some edge stripping and dirt and made some barriers this afternoon where I know the runoff comes from up the back. I walked up on the lawn before and it's a complete bog. The lawnmower obsessed Neighbor couldn't wait to take the inch his grass had grown yesterday and the I looked at it this morning when I went to get the letters and the mess he has made with it is insane. Predicting rain every single day for the next week here still so will be a fortnight before I dare get the tractor out to mow mine or all I'll have is Furroughs to plant crops in.

This place is a lousy design and the lowest part is the house from up the back.  I was cleaning gutters and trying to fix drains here yesterday and really lost my Ship with the place. Really come to hate it.

Everything is a Pizz poor cheap arse design and done by morons as cheap as possible... like the previous owner.  Said to the Mrs I want to sell and go elsewhere.  She has sentimental attachment to the place and I doubt will go.  Just expects me to fix every problem the Chit place has. Chose very poorly when I bought the joint that's for sure. Only upside is it's gone up about $800K in value since we bought it 5 years ago but then again, everything else round here has gone up a similar amount.

I have anxiety already over winter coming. The place is like a giant glass house and is so effing cold  it's a joke. would cost more than it was worth to double glaze the 40 Odd windows and about 1000Sqm of single pane glass so the only solution is to pump the heat in.

Also having anxiety attacks because I can't work out the best way to go with it but I'm just going to have to put something together and hope for the best.

I can put up more solar but it's diminishing returns and of course does not work at night when you really need the heat. The thing is there is about 10Kwh of energy in a litre of oil and 10 KW takes a bit of generating in winter especially on the coldest overcast days.

Might go and see if I can find some veg oil tonight as I don't have that much to get me through even if I do build a burner atm.  Can always get some engine oil off a mate for a heater as he has a decent truck fleet. Might do that the weekend.

Technophiliac

Posted: 08:42am 28 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How much wattage do you want? F&P washing machines good for maybe 300W at the voltage you choose. Can do multiples..... Also cheap alternators available from China.... 48V AC  600W 800W 1KW 1KW 3KW 5KW.....
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 28 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I'm really wanting a water cooled atm to try and put in a soundproof or at least make it tolerable so I can put it near the house for a co gen system.
I had an ST, far too loud for my needs.  There are a few of them around though but the noise alone would be a killer for me.

Yes the ST2 is very loud as is most of the air cooled range SR3 sounds better but the intake is loud, this one was mounted behind the shed, luckily the neighbours are far away.....They can make more noise than I can at times.
I agree water cooled is your best bet if you have neighbours.

I remember a friend had a Kubota mower with the mid deck, the PTO would have been ok to shaft drive something off it, but flywheel adaptor
would better long term.

Thanks for the all the Info on the oil, will go though and sort it out experiment a bit, I have a large 50w fish tank aerator.
 yes its definitely that varnish smell....I remember leaving a bottle of turps in partial sunlight at the side of the shed, it went from clear to brown colour over time and had that varnish smell to it as well.

Depending on what you want to run overnight, I think the magic number is between 20% and 35%, so your overnight consumption would use 20% to 35% of your battery storage/capacity, this might be the bases for the whole setup.....I welcome some others input on this.
People have asked me "How many days I can run with out solar" expecting longer is better, it Doesn't really work that way if is to be cost effective.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:43am 01 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technophiliac said  How much wattage do you want? F&P washing machines good for maybe 300W at the voltage you choose.

I thought they did a lot more than that through the different models more like a KW?
Don't know but was the impression I had.

I think unmodified they can get to some quite high voltage as well.  Might be another cheap and easy candidate to just rectify and feed into a GTI.

Quote  Also cheap alternators available from China.... 48V AC  600W 800W 1KW 1KW 3KW 5KW.....

Got any links?
Lot of stuff I have found on Allie that fleabay doesn't have comes with ridiculous and insulting postage costs which is a deal breaker.  

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 03:50am 01 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revlac said   this one was mounted behind the shed,

I'm thinking of getting a small garden shed and insulating that with rockwool for sound proofing and aesthetics.  I could have it at the end of the house then possibly so close enough to direct heat in and hopefully quiet enough to run out of hours.

I remember a friend had a Kubota mower with the mid deck, the PTO would have been ok to shaft drive something off it.

That's a good point. I think this one has a small PTO as well.  Problem would then be silencing it if I left the engine in the mower.
I found a 902 Last night on the net that may be promising.  Seller wasnt' top $$ for it of course and the thing is not close either.
Messaged but no response. Had that a lot lately with things. I often wonder if people really do want to sell stuff.

I remember once I didn't want to sell something but the Mrs was giving me grief so I just over priced it.  " Trying to sell it Honey but no one is interested!"
I think a LOT of people are doing that. .... or they are just not too bright.

Quote   yes its definitely that varnish smell....I remember leaving a bottle of turps in partial sunlight at the side of the shed, it went from clear to brown colour over time and had that varnish smell to it as well.

Yeah, it's a very distinctive turps varnish smell every time.
It helps greatly if you heat the oil.  Even just getting it above ambient makes a big difference.  You can boil the water out but it's a long, slow and can be dangerous process.

I remember one time I was sitting in the back yard in winter one night and had 4, 20L Metal buckets sitting over a fire gently boiling away.  Was all very nice and pleasant and the Mrs came and sat with me as well for a while. She got up and walked away and  There was this Huge  Thump and this column of oil went about 9 feet straight up in the air and mostly came straight back down again.  Of course the slashing of hot oil on the fire coals made it flare up not that this part of the event worried me.

I had never seen a steam explosion like that before but I did some digging on the net  and apparently it can be a thing. it is or similar to a form of cavitation and a lot of weird science goes with it.  Thought the water would have boiled out  and there was obviously no pressure but when a load of water all changes from a liquid to a gas all at once, Mt. Vesuvius. There is a similar thing with heating water in a Microwave and sticking a spoon in it and it erupts.

Used to Dry Multiple 200L drums of oil at a time with a mate making bio which had to be heated anyway but learned the trick was to stir the drum and not let it sit.
Some of those drums would have so much water it would boil like it was cooking Chips  but apparently that's not the dangerous time, it's when it's still and all the water drops to the bottom and combines into one lot.

I used to do a method of oil cleaning called upflow.
I got a hot water tank and used the end with the anode to put a valve in and that went to the bottom and was the INLET. The port at the top was the outlet.
The idea was you filled the thing with dirty oil and left it a week or so initially and then added oil in the bottom which went up through the crud layer and that itself caught a lot of the rubbish and as the clean oil always comes to the top, it was like  enhanced gravity settling.

I found that about 10% a day of the tank volume was a good filtering rate.  I had a 250L tank and used to add a 25L drum which was a convenient size.
About once a week I'd slowly drain the crud from the bottom which would pull out a lot of water as well.

I had peeled the insulation off the tank so it was bare steel and tried painting half it black to get the sun and warm it.  I expected there to be some internal convection currents created  which would stir the crap up and make the oil basically roll in the tank but it never seemed to do that.
I would Fill and tap off in the morning when the oil had cooled and settled anyway and the oil that came out was quite good and only needed minimal drying and filtering to finish it off.

It was an experiment that a few of in the group were interested in and I was the one that tested it of course but it was just a bit too every day for me. I preferred doing large batches all at once when I had the time.
A fellow oiler came and saw it one time and was over the moon with the thing so offered me a lot of money for an old tank I had welded legs on and added a couple of valves so we drained it and he took it home leaving me about 600L of oil from his trailer he had collected.

I preferred my system of running 200L at a time and doing it in batches. My best record was doing 2000L in a weekend. 1000L was common. I used to try and get at least 200L done and finished and put away about this time of year while it was still warm.
That gave the oil time to settle the fats out which dissolved in the warmer temps and meant I wasn't trying to process the stuff in the cold of winter where it's thicker and takes longer and isn't as an enjoyable time to do it.

Usually I'd end up with closer to 3K Litres as I'd put it in 200L drums etc while I was on a roll and it was easy to do and then I wouldn't have to process again till  Sept/ October.  I'd still go and collect and put that away to settle so when I did start processing again I had something to start with and settling is much slower in the cold than warmer months.

By batching the processing as well I could do it on the driveway where I preferred, make all the mess then put all the crap away and get some caustic and clean the cement driveway of all the oil I gave up even trying not to spill.  Was ewasier to clean it up than try to keep it clean in the first place.

I'd get some Caustic I bought in 25kg bags from the cleaning joint a few streets away, wet the concrete, sprinkle it over generously and then broom it all over. Not scrubbing just spreading it around.  I'd come back and re wet as it dried and go over it a few times then wash it off.

The Mrs only complaint then was the now Freshly poured looking concrete that was bright white made the rest of the driveway look Dirty and wanted me to clean the whol 50x6M driveway! I'd try and move where I did it so it so more of it got cleaned.
Must have been the only time I could even make a filthy mess without the Mrs saying a single word other than " Why didn't you do it up there, that is a bit dirtier than here."

I used to do a LOT of oil then. My best year ( yes, I was anal enough to keep records) was 14,000L.  I got the suspect but beloved title of " The Oil  fairy" because friends would come home and there was 2-400L of finished " Sippin" oil sitting in their driveway that magically just appeared.  I also used to have a lot of people that were traveling drop in for a top up of supplies.  Had a 44 on a trolley with a Pump, battery and the hose had a regular Nozzle like in a servo.

I miss those days.

Quote  so your overnight consumption would use 20% to 35% of your battery storage/capacity,

While I think it's a case of less DOD the better, I think I'd be happy with 50% from a traction pack. That said, the capacity's are pretty fixed on those generally so might end up that a particular pack does indeed only go to 35% or less.

I think our night use with the distinct exception of heating, would be pretty low. I'd think 5 Kwh ought to do it. Oh, and with the exception of our Daughter wanting to wash one outfit and then Dry it for work or going out tomorrow. In winter can't even get too annoyed about the drying because it is warming the house as well.

Quote  People have asked me "How many days I can run with out solar" expecting longer is better, it Doesn't really work that way if is to be cost effective.

This is common on an off grid forum I am on.  Unlike this one, 95+ of the people there have no earthly fking clue what they are talking about and are in fact living on grid.That's OK, so do I but they are just cluless about anything to do with life out of the city.
Some profess a weeks battery capacity is needed, the more common position is 5 Days.  Personally I think 3 is good for me because if it's bad weather for more than 3 days it's bad for more than a week.

Being that a lot of them are greenwashed, saying it's cheaper to  have 3 days capacity, a generator and just pay for some fuel, get the typical ranting about FF and the environment etc.  Mind you these are the same people that have long, emotional threads about Killing ants, rats and Mice and their right to life and not destroying nature!

It' is not uncommon for the off grid people there  to have paid $40K for their power setups from off grid companies. Numbers that boggle my mind!

It is impractical to never use a genny without running out of power in most places in oz and the goal should be to get the cheapest KWh's of power possible.

Technophiliac

Posted: 08:10am 01 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  
Got any links?
Lot of stuff I have found on Allie that fleabay doesn't have comes with ridiculous and insulting postage costs which is a deal breaker.  

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003156383119.html
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 08:18am 01 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  

This is common on an off grid forum I am on.  Unlike this one, 95+ of the people there have no earthly fking clue what they are talking about and are in fact living on grid.That's OK, so do I but they are just cluless about anything to do with life out of the city.
Some profess a weeks battery capacity is needed, the more common position is 5 Days.  Personally I think 3 is good for me because if it's bad weather for more than 3 days it's bad for more than a week.

Being that a lot of them are greenwashed, saying it's cheaper to  have 3 days capacity, a generator and just pay for some fuel, get the typical ranting about FF and the environment etc.  Mind you these are the same people that have long, emotional threads about Killing ants, rats and Mice and their right to life and not destroying nature!

It' is not uncommon for the off grid people there  to have paid $40K for their power setups from off grid companies. Numbers that boggle my mind!

It is impractical to never use a genny without running out of power in most places in oz and the goal should be to get the cheapest KWh's of power possible.

I love your honesty Davo99.

Keep it up, your stories are refreshing and always make me smile.  

Over the years i have learnt to control my 'banging my head against a brick wall'.

At the moment been busy here in France trying to get Off grid folk onto reliable equipment thats cheapish, but robust and long lasting. Having wives turning up at my gate asking me to come help them sort out there no electric situation, is not always my ideal, but then hay, here comes another adventure.
Edited 2022-03-01 18:24 by Clockmanfr
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

johnmc

Posted: 10:09am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good day All,

Enjoyed the the posts, some thinking to ponder over.

I am lead to believe that it takes about 0.4 litre of diesel to produce 1kw of electricity,
now as we use about 40 kw a day during the summer, which on a good day
our solar system covers.
If I was to use off peak electricity to charge the battery bank it would cost about, 26c/ kw due to losses in charging the battery,not worth the effort,as I still have to pay supply charges.

Local electricity charges this include 3 phase power for workshop,

Daily Supply Charge
141.81 c/Day
Usage Charges
Peak Usage
30.60 c/kWh
Off-Peak Usage
14.52 c/kWh

On average our bought electricty  costs including supply charge  about $100 / month

To give some perpective 3 pies cost 18 dollars

Cheers john
johnmc

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:24am 02 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Clockmanfr said  

Over the years i have learnt to control my 'banging my head against a brick wall'

I joined this particular group as I was interested in learning more.  As Conceited as it sounds, I am so far ahead of everyone else in that group it is not funny especially as I consider myself the Dunce in the class of this group.

The illogical rubbish so many of these people go on with is mind numbing.  I will at least say for myself I ask questions to  learn and understand and I do go and get my hands dirty trying and learning things. These people 99% of the time just parrot complete and utter crap and have ZERO experience. They try to tell you about all these thing but clearly have no idea of the difference between a watt, a volt and an amp.  Ohm's are something from Dr. Who to them.

I don't mind when people don't know something, 99% of the time that's me but you don't go talking crap and insisting it's right and you know everything.
The HUGE irony is this is an off grid forum and  the overwhelming majority there are the types that would have to call a sparky to change a fuse and  replacing a tap washer wouldn't even be something to consider yet they want to go in the bush and survive away from people.  Unreal.  They couldn't change the spark plug in a lawn more let along have ANY self reliance or sufficiency skills what so ever.

When anyone does show something practical they have done, the rest of idiot cupcakes will drivel on ad nauseum about " Safety".  The other day someone was talking about a 24V system and all the morons were going on about the need for a licensed electrician  because he could kill himself playing with electricity like that.  

I could use my head as a wrecking ball with these people.

At the moment been busy here in France trying to get Off grid folk onto reliable equipment thats cheapish, but robust and long lasting.

In this group it's buy expensive brand names only as if they are infallible. I mention some of the recommendations for inverters I have been given here and because they don't know the brand and does not cost a fortune, must be crap. The funny thing is, the brands they all parrot are the ones I have heard less than glowing comments from the knowledgeable here.

I'm not a smart man but I'm just smart enough to work out whom I should listen to and who's advise is the best and most worth while following..... and it's not the other mob so that sort of narrows things down a Bit.

I said that I was on a forum where many of the people made their own inverters and some had designed them and then others refined that design or built their own and was straight up told I was lying and no one could build a mains voltage inverter that was reliable and safe. I took it on the chin and did not go on to refer them here to prove my point. There is no upside to furthering the spread of stupidity and incredible Ignorance.

Quote  Having wives turning up at my gate asking me to come help them sort out there no electric situation, is not always my ideal, but then hay, here comes another adventure.

I have tried to help a few people through the other forum but I have pretty much given up.  Often the problems are easy and I tell them the solution but then 20 Know it all's will jump up with the same parroted crap and either the person gets scared at all the fear mongering or they believe what they want to.
If they want to spend $50K on a power system they could do for $10, Not my money  they are spending so no skin off my nose.

I have found it's very hard to find anywhere else with the level of real knowledge and smarts as here. Shame it's just such a small group.
I have looked at some YT channels but although the presenters seem knowledgeable, their presentation style gives me migraines or puts me to sleep.

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024