Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:04 21 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite/PicoMiteVGA V5.07.05 betas

Page 5 of 11    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 26 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Add MM.INFO(OPTION CPUSPEED) so that a program that wants/needs the PicoMite to be overclocked can detect whether it infact is, or issue an appropriate warning if it is not.

Manual page 47(VGA) or 72

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:14pm 26 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is this any good?

?  MM.INFO(CPUSPEED)
> ? mm.ver
>

I type too slowly.
Edited 2022-06-26 22:19 by phil99

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:41pm 26 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks guys,

Not sure how MM.INFO(CPUSPEED) and MM.INFO(OPTION CPUSPEED) could possibly be equivalent, and I so wanted to type an extra keyword .

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 03:15pm 26 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Peter,

I was investigating the audio filter, as I promised, and noticed the audio tone does not play well. Please see below graph, there are 2 places where the sine wave is not continuous, but distorted. I excluded everything (i.e. SD card/system I2C).

Virgin VGA mite
MMBasic 05.07.05b11
OPTION AUDIO GP6,GP7

PLAY VOLUME 100,100
PLAY TONE 1000,1000

Software 05.07.04 (Geoff's official release) does not have this. Maybe it has some latency in stitching the waveforms together in the PWM. It is independent of the frequency. It may be (little) less in lower volume, but that may be due to oscilloscope triggering, missing these events.

They are not only visible on the scope, you can hear these distortions as short ticks in the audio. To the ear maybe a bit random. FYI in these tests I run the picomite without USB connection, so it is not the USB stack I guess...

It is better audible at 2kHz or 4kHz. If you think you get mad from the sine waves in your ear: PLAY STOP is your best friend...

EDIT: in a full system with SD card you can see hear the artefact in the tone command emphasized if you

PLAY TONE 2000,2000
FILES
Edited 2022-06-27 01:57 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Witenite

Posted: 08:59am 27 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  I was investigating the audio filter, as I promised, and noticed the audio tone does not play well. Please see below graph, there are 2 places where the sine wave is not continuous, but distorted. I excluded everything (i.e. SD card/system I2C).

Just injecting myself into the conversation here. I have also done some investigation into the audio quality using an oscilloscope. I too noticed some distortion, and the distortion gets exponentially worse as you go up in frequency. This is to be expected given the very rude/crude first order filter used to filter the output PWM signal. I noticed that above about 8 or 10kHz, a PWM sinewave no longer resembles anything like a sinewave anymore. This distortion is consistent across the entire waveform though, and not the same distortion that you are seeing. I suspect the waveform is probably becoming distorted when the PWM duty cycle is being updated perhaps.

If you like, I can do some more comprehensive analysis and come back to the forum and post my findings. Happy to help.

Another option I have been seriously thinking about, is instead of outputting PWM and filtering it, what about generating an I2S (or failing that, I2C) serial output. This could use the same pins as the PWM output, so a user (or a PCB design) could use either option. An I2S input/audio output chip like a CS4344 would be a perfect choice for this, and produce far better quality audio than the current solution. So an end user may opt to either use the PWM (lowest cost) or I2S (add about $5 - $7 to the cost of the build) for far superior audio. This means though that MMBASIC would have to port I2S audio out on the PicoMite, which means a yet more software development (sorry Peter!). Probably have to use PIO for this, as I don't think the Pico board has native I2S support. Failing this there may be an I2C audio option too.

That's my 2 cents worth, let me know what you think.  

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:16am 27 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I noticed that above about 8 or 10kHz, a PWM sinewave no longer resembles anything like a sinewave anymore.

This would also be true if you played a 10Khz tone on a CD (4 samples per sinewave)

I will try and fix the bug Volhout has found but I'm not going any further than that on audio. However, I need a better low-pass filter to see the bug before I can see and fix it.

Volhout, can you confirm if the frequency stays correct when you see the glitch or is it a runt sinewave?

UPDATE: just realised my oscilloscope (Picoscope) has a programmable low pass filter. Using this I can't replicate the bug seen in Volhout's trace
Edited 2022-06-27 19:29 by matherp

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:03am 27 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Peter,

When the artefact happens the frequency of that particular since cycle is different (I measured a lower frequency, one I remember was 3.9kHz versus 4.2kHz for other cycles).
I estimate one PWM update is "late" and a sample is PWM-ed twice.

@Witenite

Yes, when the amount of "samples" per since cyle gets lower the odd harmonics increase. And for a 5kHz sine wave the 3'rd (15kHz) is within audio range and gets through UN-attenuated. So your sine wave doesn't look nice at all. For 8kHz, the 24kHz is in the filter falloff, and may get attenuated, but with only 5 samples per sine, the inaccuracy will be huge. 10kHz .... even worse.

When your goal is to get the nicest sine waves, then the low pass filter should drop of much earlier, and you have to live with an audio bandwidth of less than 10kHz. And that is not a curse. My transistor active filter has a really nice slope, and starts to rolloff at 10kHz. The 5 and 8kHz waveforms look nice, and it is very acceptable to listen to music (CD quality from SD card). But nothing above 10kHz.....
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:31am 27 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Is the issue being chased also the one that causes my rendition of The Entertainer (entertainer.zip) to be very "clicky" at 126 MHz ?

If not then (as @Volhout indicated in a different thread) the problem is presumably with either notes / Sine waves being interrupted before they are "complete" or with the implementation of rests (currently as "inaudible" notes, but temporarily stopping a channel is also clicky). I would appreciate any advice as to how I could overcome this problem without having to devote significantly more CPU time to the music playback in my game.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-06-27 21:02 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ matherp
When you did the recent change to make port writes simultaneous (or, if not actually simultaneous, near enough), did it also make port reads simultaneous?
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:20pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  @ matherp
When you did the recent change to make port writes simultaneous (or, if not actually simultaneous, near enough), did it also make port reads simultaneous?

Been meaning to ask.

I tested CAT, yesterday and it's definitely faster with only 2 strings but not for more.

Edit: meaning that I had to do multiple CATs.

Craig
Edited 2022-06-29 08:21 by Tinine

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  When you did the recent change to make port writes simultaneous (or, if not actually simultaneous, near enough), did it also make port reads simultaneous?

No. But will do in the next beta

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter. :)
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:50pm 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PicoMite V5.07.05b13

https://geoffg.net/Downloads/picomite/PicoMite_Beta.zip

Adds beta support for the 480x320 IPS ILI9341 display (use code ILI9341N)
Modifies the port function to read all pins simultaneously
Updates SDK to V1.4
Updates Compiler to version 11.2.1

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:07pm 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great! Thanks, Peter. :)
Mick

Witenite

Posted: 09:04pm 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  
When your goal is to get the nicest sine waves, then the low pass filter should drop of much earlier, and you have to live with an audio bandwidth of less than 10kHz. And that is not a curse. My transistor active filter has a really nice slope, and starts to rolloff at 10kHz. The 5 and 8kHz waveforms look nice, and it is very acceptable to listen to music (CD quality from SD card). But nothing above 10kHz.....

Thanks Volhout for the detailed explanation. My experience has been in PWM filter development for very low frequencies only (power systems, 50Hz/60Hz) so while the theory and math is identical, the objectives and observations are quite different. Is there a reference or link to the active filter you have designed? I wouldn't mind assembling one myself and trying it out. It sounds like it is still a very low cost solution. Low cost is a characteristic I always enjoy playing with, especially when you can achieve entirely acceptable results. Anybody can throw a $1000 DAC solution at a problem, but it takes particularly skilled engineering to produce a good quality $5 solution. Discrete designs make for more hardware fun and learning too for newcomers (people such as students, that I am especially passionate about attracting into the industry).

@Peter
Yes I am well aware of PWM resolution for CD audio (2 samples per cycle at 20kHz for example), however at 10kHz I was expecting to at least see something that was quasi-sinewave, or exhibiting 4 samples per cycle. All I saw was a consistent sawtooth waveform with no sinusoidal shape or modulated output at all, at 10kHz. I fully appreciate I'm being pedantic here though, given the incredible cost and resource constraints of this little system, so don't get me wrong, I'm already beyond impressed at what you have achieved here.

A pity we/you can't look further into an I2S audio implementation for the hardware, but I completely understand as you have already cleared a mountain of tasks here, and certainly have more than enough on your ToDo list as it is. We can revisit at a later date.

If you guys need me to test anything or produce some decent oscilloscope data/images, just shout. Happy to help, and I have a couple of Pico's on my workbench, ready to roll.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 09:42pm 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Distortion of frequencies above 10kHz isn't all that important, for humans at least, as all the harmonics are above 20kHz and inaudible. I imagine few of us here can hear much above 15kHz. For me the limit is now down to 12kHz so above 4kHz a square wave, which only has odd harmonics, sounds the same as a sine wave.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G’day Peter, All,

matherp said  PicoMite V5.07.05b13

Adds beta support for the 480x320 IPS ILI9341 display (use code ILI9341N)

Shouldn’t that be ILI9481 (and Code ILI9481N)?

Regards,

Mick
Edited 2022-07-03 08:28 by bigmik
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:29am 03 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All, Peter,

There appears to be a minor issue with that release Peter,

The 0,0 point is set for top right instead of Top left (at least with the ILI9481N driver)

It is probably my fault as I didnt notice that the test for MISO reads was colouring the pixels at the top right instead of top left. Well I did notice that was where the pixel was being set but it didnt click that it was the wrong corner.

Sorry about that

FYI these are my option settings:

OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP18,GP19,GP16
OPTION AUTORUN ON
OPTION CPUSPEED (KHz) 125000
OPTION LCDPANEL ILI9481N, PORTRAIT,GP15,GP14,GP13,GP20
OPTION TOUCH GP12,GP11
GUI CALIBRATE 1, -167, 2043, 1267, -1737
OPTION SDCARD GP22

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:14am 03 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick

Can you try all 4 orientations and let me know which are correct and which not - thanks

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:08am 03 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

About time I did another compilation file of the Beta releases. :)

V5 07 05 Betas Info..pdf
Mick

Page 5 of 11    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024