Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:53 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite - composite video output

Page 3 of 4    
Nimue

Guru

Posted: 11:24am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  .. will be tortured with the Microbit and Useless "code editors" like Scratch and Microsoft Make Code!

/rant on/

What I see in the classroom is that these editors and the whole "blocky" approach to code is that it promotes (for staff and children) the attitude of "copy this block from the book" approach to coding.  Yes, they can make Scratch Cat move, but they dont really know how and why.

We have created a generation or two of children who think they can code but have no real interest / pay off for doing so -- after all, if they want a game, Call of Halo VIII will always be better than what they can code in Scratch / Make Cod.   The closest is modding Minecraft, but again, that's not really transferable now its moved from Java to block coding (Microsoft again).

For me getting them off Scratch and onto a proper symbolic language asap is the key.  MMBasic with its BASICness yet ability to interface with hardware just works - no additional libraries - unlike Arduino/C or Micro/Circuit Python.

The challenge I have is that the Twitterati of education believe that Scratch is the only way to introduce coding  (yet in the 1970's and 1980's us kids managed with BASIC and dare I say it assembly!!)

/rant off/
Entropy is not what it used to be

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@led-bloon - nice work -- will be doing just that later this week.

Also glad to see I'm not the only one who loads pin outs into Paint as I work.

N

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:54am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  will be doing just that later this week

So here's a question: Would 2-colour composite work for what you'd wish to use it for in MMBasic?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  Nimue said  will be doing just that later this week

So here's a question: Would 2-colour composite work for what you'd wish to use it for in MMBasic?

2 colour as in strict B&W?

Yes.

What I am attempting to do is to show teachers / students that once programmed (via terminal) that the PicoMite can run standalone (not tethered to a PC).  At that point the purpose of the video out is just to monitor the output -- say a class create a simple app to display classroom temp and CO2 levels -- the video out is to display it.

I know can connect a display to the PicoMite (more complexity and "little")
I know I can use VGA

Some use cases I thought composite would be a useful -- but this thread demonstrated the complexity I was unaware of.

But to answer you question - yes, 2 colour would do the trick.

N

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:34pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If just text output is acceptable adding Geoff's ASCII Video Terminal to a Pico com port would work.

https://geoffg.net/terminal.html

It can do both VGA and Composite mono. It defaults to composite but if a VGA monitor is plugged in before it starts it switches to that.
Based on a PIC32MX270. It can also use a PS/2 keyboard.
But wait! There's more! USB serial to / from a PC as well!

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  yes, 2 colour would do the trick

Then led-bloon's post and included link show the way for a 2-pin, 2-resistor solution. The link he provided used the PIOs and was non-MMBasic, but it might be possible for Peter, if he's willing, to implement it without the need for the AD724 chip.

~
Edited 2022-08-16 22:43 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:43pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... providing you can still get hold of the chips.  :(
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 01:04pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks again all - conscious of people contributing time to this.

If a "simple" solution was available and it used MMBasic - I'd be up for it as this does come up a fair bit for me.  Surface mount versions of that chip "appear" to be available for a few £ to the UK > happy to build something.

BUT this is an edge case and I can get round it with either:

VGA - works already, just needs cable swapping
Add a display to the PicoMite - "easy" but add to the complexity / cost for my audience
Stick to the terminal - needs the PicoMite to stay tethered and misses some opportunities.  (Editing now sorted for Chromebooks)

If I could build a "hat" / "shield" that plugged onto the PicoMite and it had VGA and Composite output that was switch selectable - that would be golden - Print a 3D case - tidy!!!

But as said, this is an edge case.    

N

cicciocb

Posted: 02:02pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  @Nimue,

Is your focus on introducing hardware (picomite / picomiteVGA) so kids can play with LED's and stuff ? Or are you focussed on introducing BASIC (MMBasic) into schools ?

When the focus is on MMBasic, you could have a lower entry level with MMB4W (MMBasic for Windows). Simply install on a W10 PC and you are done. Including the graphics capabilities of the higher end CMM2 machine.

And that would also work on a chromebook (gadgetjack response) see this thread:
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=15076#190177

Volhout

Maybe you could use this simple WEB editor (it should run everywhere inside a chrome-based browser) - no installation is required
Web Code Editor

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 02:06pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@cicciocb  -- I ended up rolling my own web editor due to the issues with Chromebooks and BACKSPACE.

See https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=15101

Bring back the plug and play RF modulation of my ZX-Spectrum and Acorn Elk  

N

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 04:02pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  We have created a generation or two of children who think they can code but have no real interest / pay off for doing so -- after all, if they want a game, Call of Halo VIII will always be better than what they can code in Scratch / Make Cod.   The closest is modding Minecraft, but again, that's not really transferable now its moved from Java to block coding (Microsoft again).

For me getting them off Scratch and onto a proper symbolic language asap is the key.  MMBasic with its BASICness yet ability to interface with hardware just works - no additional libraries - unlike Arduino/C or Micro/Circuit Python.

The challenge I have is that the Twitterati of education believe that Scratch is the only way to introduce coding  (yet in the 1970's and 1980's us kids managed with BASIC and dare I say it assembly!!)

Being a Kid of the '70's & '80's what got me indoctrinated in to this Picomite Cult was stumbling across a local guys video about the CMM2 and being amazed at how far the decents of out beloved APPLE ][ and Speccy have come! I've always been a a real ANTI-GUI Guy, it was amazing how much we were able to accomplish with a 2.4 MHZ 16k machine, example think back to the first GEOS O/S GUI that ran off 3 180k Floppies , et today due to Lazy Code and Poor skills, Current GUI O/S take 1 TB of Storage, and 1ghz CPU and 16 gb ram for just the OS because of all the bloat from  Fat Lazy Programers!Kids need to get back to basics like the Picomite that will give them Tangible results that will keep them excited. and for the life of me I'll never know why the BBC has to sabotage it's self WHAY THE CRAPPY Acorn over the Speccy for the BBC Micro ? and why the BBC Micro-Bit over the Raspberry Pi? and why Coronation Street over Shameless? and where did the this last Girl Doctor Come from REALLY ?
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:50pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  ... and for the life of me I'll never know why the BBC has to sabotage it's self WHAY THE CRAPPY Acorn over the Speccy for the BBC Micro ?

As someone who owned and loved them both I can say with the benefit of 30 years hindsight that when it comes to the hardware and ROM (not what games were written for the machines) the Sinclair Spectrum was a nasty piece of plastic tat with a cobbled together ROM built down to a price that didn't meet the specification that the BBC sent out to potential vendors. Whereas the BBC Micro was a thing of true beauty built to survive the apocalypse and with a ROM, O/S and BASIC written by maestros (one in particular). I don't know for certain if the BBC Micro is the best 8-bit computer, I haven't experienced many of the high-end US ones, but I suspect that it was, especially the BBC Master.

Quote  ... and why the BBC Micro-Bit over the Raspberry Pi?

Price and simplicity - you have to get to grip with quite a lot to use a Raspberry Pi, hence the desire on this group for "Boot to BASIC".

Quote  ... and why Coronation Street over Shameless? and where did the this last Girl Doctor Come from REALLY ?

No comment.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-08-17 03:16 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:31pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cicciocb said  Maybe you could use this simple WEB editor (it should run everywhere inside a chrome-based browser) - no installation is required
Web Code Editor

I tried this on chromebook and it says "www.cicciocb.com says WEB Serial API not supported. You should use Chrome, Edge, or Opera browsers".

This is with "Google Chrome" browser. Should this work on a chromebook? It does look useful for PicoMite usage on chromebook.

The screen comes up just as on Chrome browser on a Win10 laptop, but clicking the buttons "Connect" or "Open File" doesn't do anything.

pwillard

Posted: 05:45pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote    where did this last Girl Doctor Come from REALLY?

A secret Dalek plot to kill the Doctor yet again... and as usual, it almost succeeded.

I'd also like to know how SCRATCH prepares anyone for *actual* coding.
Edited 2022-08-17 03:46 by pwillard

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:02pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I really wish people wouldn't refer to it as "coding". You aren't writing a code (not even machine code usually), you're writing a program so the process is programming! I'm just a grumpy old git at the moment. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:15pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I'm a "programmer"; have been since 1970; not a "coder", but if someone tells me they're writing some code to do something, I understand what they mean.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Well, I'm a "programmer"; have been since 1970; not a "coder", but if someone tells me they're writing some code to do something, I understand what they mean.

I'm a "programmer" ... I went through a period of being a "Software Engineer" or "Software Developer" ... even a "Technical Architect" for a time ... but it's all boll***s. I see precious little actually (software) engineering actually going on in my industry, artistry, inspiration and occasionally some discipline ... but mostly sewage.

Best wishes,

Tom

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 07:00pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  cicciocb said  Maybe you could use this simple WEB editor (it should run everywhere inside a chrome-based browser) - no installation is required
Web Code Editor

I tried this on chromebook and it says "www.cicciocb.com says WEB Serial API not supported. You should use Chrome, Edge, or Opera browsers".

This is with "Google Chrome" browser. Should this work on a chromebook? It does look useful for PicoMite usage on Chromebook.

The screen comes up just as on Chrome browser on a Win10 laptop, but clicking the buttons "Connect" or "Open File" doesn't do anything.

Currently working fine on Win10 with PicoMite connected (tested via Chrome and Edge)

Picture is  of it working on Chromebook in Chrome browser on Chromebook.

Your message "www.cicciocb.com says..." are you using a Pi-hole or other device?  What version of Chrome are you using?  The error message is not contained within the code - so not sure what is generating it.

This is the link to the Google version (BACKSPACE functionality not working)  https://googlechromelabs.github.io/serial-terminal/

N

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 07:05pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I really wish people wouldn't refer to it as "coding". You aren't writing a code (not even machine code usually), you're writing a program so the process is programming! I'm just a grumpy old git at the moment. :)

The language of the curriculum here in Wales is:

Children to be taught computational thinking and to create algorithms to solve problems.   The word "programming" and "coding" is avoided totally.

N

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:11pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  ...

The language of the curriculum here in Wales is:

Children to be taught computational thinking and to create algorithms to solve problems.   The word "programming" and "coding" is avoided totally.

N

We're doomed to mediocrity - my daughter's will know how to program ... though at the moment it's just referred to as "Dad's project".

Best wishes,

Tom

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024