Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:11 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : I wanna hear from the negative nellies....

Page 2 of 3    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:11pm 18 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  I don't suppose you got around to testing the battery charging stuff?

After not having actually ordered the 6x18650 12V battery that I had noted to myself that I had ordered, I ordered it and got it a week or two ago. Tests ok with a simple LCD voltmeter/ammeter, but the voltmeter/ammeter-over-time capacity tester that I ordered from Amazon isn't working--that is, numbers on the screen all look good except that the current isn't flowing. I have rechecked my wiring a half dozen times.

I have another one on order from Aliexpress, but it will probably be several weeks before it arrives. It looks identical to what I have, but who knows how it will perform. Disappointing.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

palcal

Guru

Posted: 09:39pm 18 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't forget the hobbyists here, when I first joined this forum some 12 years ago it was all about the humble Mono Maximite and a lot of hobbyists like myself that played arount with computers back in the 80's jumped on board. Hardly an IT professional in sight. I'm 80 years old and I suspect the average age of people here is maybe 65-70.
This is my hobby and I'm the first to admit that I probably ask stupid questions from an IT professional's point of view. Back in the 80's I just wandered aimlessly teaching myself from reading and it was a godsend to finally have a place to ask questions.
Yes I'm the first to admit that I don't contribute, I just ask silly questions that some people here just pass over but then there are others who have helped me immensely.
Just don't forget the hobbyists amongst us who struggle a bit.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:45pm 18 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hobbyists totally rock.

I don't really want to be an employer again but I don't care about some stupid diploma....are you really into this stuff.

I always ask about hobbies when interviewing. Start talking about football or hiking, movies, etc.

See ya!  

And ever notice that the great software/electrical engineers are really into the internal combustion engine and motor sports?

Seems that way to me  

Craig

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:45am 19 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm very glad that this thread has settled down.  Hopefully this has, to some extent, helped to clear the air, and we can all go back to being chums again.

I was about to lock this thread, but I thought I would see where it went, and I am delighted to be proven wrong, and that some good discussion has started.

Having said that, I would caution you Craig, to perhaps not start threads where the result is 99% likely to be that other members you accuse get upset and all threads like that ever seem to do, is descend into flame wars and name calling, which benefits no-one.

That hasn't happened on this thread, thankfully(but it was very close!), but that is the exception rather then the rule with a thread such as this.  Normally they DO get worse and worse as the flame-war builds, and admin is then forced to shut it down or ban members - or both.

As the parents of my generation used to say: "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

A bit of a rubbish statement in some respects, but when you have lots and lots of people all coming to the one place to discuss things(these forums), then you are bound to get opinions and things you don't like, and so long as those things are not PERSONAL towards you or any other member, it is probably best to let sleeping dogs lie with respect to member contributions etc.

I'm trying to practice my diplomatic skills here, but I ain't no politician!  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:33am 19 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been a super=mod then admin on another forum (of an entirely different nature) for some time now and I know exactly where you are coming from. :)

I can still be a bit naughty at times though. lol
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:21pm 19 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Graeme,

For me, this is the virtual pub where you hang out with your best mates.

To have to pussy foot around and worry about saying something that's on your mind would be a drag. Way too much of that sh*te happening in the world.

We're all mates here and I believe it's healthy and natural to be able to vent. Means nothing.

Phrasing something in a provocative manner always gets attention  

I read my own posts and think "what a narcissistic a$$"  

However I despise PC and refuse to toe that line  

Craig

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:47pm 19 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 19 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TBH I think you might have it wrong, Craig. I don't see this forum as anything like a pub - if I did I wouldn't be here as I'm no longer a fan of pubs. :) I see it as being more like the old computer clubs (which, to be fair, were often held in pub rooms!). Not a "place for the lads", more like a convention of people with common interests, where people are (generally) thoughtful and polite.

Oh, and don't make the mistake of thinking that someone who's "decorated ... like a My Little Pony" can't kick your ass. Appearances can be *very* deceptive. :)
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 19 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  
Oh, and don't make the mistake of thinking that someone who's "decorated ... like a My Little Pony" can't kick your ass. Appearances can be *very* deceptive. :)

Slap me with a limp wrist  

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:42am 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These days, most pubs are more PC then forums!  
If anyone hears you say something they don't like, they'll report you to the barman.

I'm sorry - barperson....

I also f-ing HATE PC and all that woke rubbish, HOWEVER, I as admin have to put that to the side totally, and adhere to the rules that Glen has laid out for me to follow - even if that means I have to put a stop to thread topics that I personally AGREE with.

It's Glen's forum and his rules apply no matter what, and that is the basis for all my comments on taking it easy with these kinds of thread.  I may be an admin, but an admin still has to follow the rules as laid out by the forum owner.

Now, if Glen was fine with political talk etc, so would I be, but we all know that Glen is NOT OK with it on his forums, and he has said as much before.  Not verbatim, but I recall him saying something like: 'There are plenty of other forums for discussing this kind of thing, so post there not here.'

I hope you understand that I am not coming down on you per-se', Craig, but I have a job to do as an admin.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 01:03am 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm with you on the "woke" claptrap but then we need to realise that we have this and many other huge problems due to......censorship.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:50am 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The title of this particular forum is "Microcontroller and PC projects".

Where "PC" is short for "Personal Computers" enough said.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 05:58am 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bill.

Peter

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:58am 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't you start me on "censorship". I have that problem with someone on "my other" forum...

A mod *has* to follow (they are also users) and apply (as a mod) forum rules. That's what the job is. They don't censor stuff. They don't own the forum, they are (almost always voluntary) employees who take the flack whenever users get mad.

There is a *huge* difference between censorship and having to follow what are (usuually) quite flexible forum guidelines/rules. Removing political content from a non-political forum is never censorship, it is keeping the forum on topic. Similar constraints often apply to religious or sexual issues depending on the forum. It's no use moaning that your posts are being censored - you (speaking generally, not directly to you, Craig) are the wrongdoer for insisting on posting off-topic content which some may find offensive. In dong so you are usually breaking a forum rule (most forums have one that says that you agree not to post offensive content). The answer is easy - stay more or less on topic for at least some of the time, at least don't offend anyone too much or too often and apologize if you do. Now you might feel that this is an old-fashioned attitude, but it's one that's flexible and  works well.

If you want to post stuff that's "off the wall" then by all means move to Twitter or Facebook where it's expected. Don't expect to get away with it too much on a forum that has (indirectly, possibly) got a rule against it.

We had an issue with people discussing Brexit on threads all over the forum (which is non-political). We solved it by creating a single Brexit thread, moving as much Brexit content as possible into it then simply deleting Brexit posts whenever they popped up anywhere else. The users got the message and we got a "clean" forum after a few moans about "censorship" and "bias". :)
Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:29am 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  A mod *has* to follow (they are also users) and apply (as a mod) forum rules. That's what the job is. They don't censor stuff. They don't own the forum, they are (almost always voluntary) employees who take the flack whenever users get mad.

Touché.  

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:04pm 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quazee137 said  Next is a hand full of old android tablets I need to update but again they need
 a windows tool to update them. I found out that the San Diego based company no
 longer exist and cant even get the tool.

Sometimes you can still update them another way, such as over USB or booting a specific kind of SD card.

Oh - the tool might be on some forum or archive.org

Could be worth posting the model details, though there are more appropriate forums.

John
Edited 2023-01-20 22:04 by JohnS

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 10:10pm 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  I'm with you on the "woke" claptrap but then we need to realise that we have this and many other huge problems due to......censorship.

The problem with people using the term "Woke" seems to be that nobody agrees on what it means to be "woke".

We all have a line somewhere that we think it's unacceptable to do certain things. That line varies from person to person. For some it might be to not use the N word, for others it might be to not mock the disabled, for others it might be to not make fun of other cultures, and for others it might be not eating meat, or not using plastic straws. Guess what - we've been evolving those rules over the last few decades. There are things that I did/said as a kid that I am now aware are hurtful to others. We have always evolved and adapted to make the world a better place. Now somebody has slapped a label on that evolution and made it in to a bogey man.

Unfortunately, the press (and a number of the US politicians) seem to think this "Woke" faction of society are a clarion call for everything that they don't like. Drag queens, corporate rebranding, caring about the environment, preventing 6 years olds from having handguns .... these are all apparently "woke" according to some. All the while, these same people are banning books from school libraries that offend them, while screaming "Will no-one think of the children!" - but apparently that's not "Woke".

The only decent explanation I have heard is that "being woke" just involves not being a prick to people. I can get behind that. Of course, I am sure there are some "ultra-woke" people who do everything to minimise their impact on the environment, animals, other people etc. But I don't think I've encountered such an individual. It's a sort of mythical beast conjured up by people wanting to rally the troops. e.g. Do you like Gas Stoves - well watch out - the "woke" people are trying to ban them!!!

Likewise I am sure there are some "ultra-none woke" people that run around shouting abuse at black people, and stomping on puppies - but again - these people are pretty rare.

It's a sliding scale - (from Millwall Supporter to Buddhist maybe?). And it seems to be that everyone who's a more compassionate person than the observer is "woke" and everyone who is less compassionate isn't.

I've never thought of myself as "woke", but maybe I am. Maybe you are too? Maybe everyone here is? We don't need to agree on anything, but I suspect we are mostly decent human beings. I try not to harm others, I recycle my cans/bottles and I spoil any dog I meet. But then on the flip side I play with Jet engines, I drive a gas guzzler (though my current one is much better than my last one), and I eat a wide variety of animals that I have deemed "very tasty". But to somebody, I must be "Woke" because I think it's wrong to use derogatory terms for other nationalities.

Just my 2 pennies.
Edited 2023-01-21 08:13 by PeteCotton

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:59pm 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  ...

Wow Pete, that was such a great piece of writing I read it out aloud to my wife.

"I'm woke, and so's my wife."

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 11:06pm 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  PeteCotton said  ...

Wow Pete, that was such a great piece of writing I read it out aloud to my wife.

"I'm woke, and so's my wife."

Best wishes,

Tom

Thank you very much.

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 11:21pm 20 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  PeteCotton said  ...

Wow Pete, that was such a great piece of writing ...

+1
Thanks!

Michael

edit:
As Peter C. already wrote here: "Manners maketh man".
It seems that the idea of manners and respect as the basis of an effectively functioning society (or forums) is not that new. The words change.

BTW. What is the definition/meaning of (negative) "nellies"?
It seems even Google doesn't know about it.
Edited 2023-01-21 09:39 by twofingers

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024