Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:05 10 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour Maximite 1.5? or something

Page 2 of 13    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:46pm 27 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil, All,

Yes but aren’t these getting assembled by JLC?

They could always solder to the pins of the screw jacks, on the underside.

I thought 2 extra pads wouldn’t hurt but then it isn’t the end of the world the way they are.

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:58pm 27 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Better to do the through-hole stuff yourself to save money.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

JanVolk

Posted: 11:03pm 27 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A very nice design. Any possible minor improvements?
There is plenty of space on the PCB, so why not use the standard DS3231 RTC chip, which eliminates the need for soldering with SMD for beginners?
The two power amplifiers may draw the most current and if battery use is also desired, it is possible to disconnect the power amplifier power supply with jumpers or a fuse (PTC) in the 5V line if necessary. closure in the power amplifier so that the PCB is still a usable whole?

Jan

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:28am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for changing the battery Peter, the CR1220 doesn't last long enough and they are a pain to find again each time you have to replace it.

I was surprised to see no games controller interfaces. It WILL be used for games and really there should be something to support them. A Wii interface for a Classic AND a joystick or SNES connector would do. I could easily forego the internal amplifier for those along with a board to suit the CMM1/2 case.

Many people buying a ready-to-go unit will not be wanting to add external interfaces to support games controllers. For those reasons my PSLabs CMM2 deluxe is far and away the best MMBasic unit I own.

Many thanks for your great support and continued development of MMBasic.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:57am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  I was surprised to see no games controller interfaces. It WILL be used for games and really there should be something to support them

now that there is USB HOST support, it becomes relatively trivial for Peter to enable support for additional HID devices attached via a hub - (USB) mouse, USB joystick, etc. the HID standard, that TinyUSB already contains, covers quite a wide range of such peripherals.

for example, getting the keyboard going only took Peter 4 hours or so, and keyboards (due to language variants and multiple shift states) are amongst the more complicated devices to deal with. other devices are trivial in comparison.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2024-01-28 11:08 by robert.rozee

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:02am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Rob, Peter has added USB controller support to MMB4W so maybe that is possible also. That is entirely up to him.

Support for the Wii is now included in the Picomite firmware and joysticks and SNES controllers have been used in several games so far and are easily supported by MMBasic. I just think they should be provided for.

Since the first Micromite, people have wanted to use joysticks and debate has raged ever since for that and every later 'mite over which pins to use. Nothing has ever been set in concrete because there has never been an 'official' design with a joystick port. I guess it never will.

Bill

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:19am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Since the first Micromite, people have wanted to use joysticks and debate has raged ever since for that and every later 'mite over which pins to use

that is the great thing about HID devices over USB, there is no need to worry about what pins to use. HID joysticks are just plug-and-play, and the interface to the joystick is only a small step sideways from that of a USB/HID keyboard.

likewise for USB mouses, just requiring a few lines of code added to what is already in place for the keyboard. the HID2CDC project was one means of achieving this, but now Peter has opened the gates for doing this directly on the picomite.

cheers,

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:27am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re the USB keyboard:
  matherp said   just CMM2 code added to the Pico Example

The CMM2 cannot handle a hub. Can the Picomite? Has anyone tested it?

Bill

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:56am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Re the USB keyboard:
  matherp said   just CMM2 code added to the Pico Example

The CMM2 cannot handle a hub. Can the Picomite? Has anyone tested it?

Peter has tested it himself, see the first posting in this very thread:
  matherp said  Connection works for me through a USB hub

i and several others, on the other thread, have also tested it out and found that TinyUSB handles a hub just fine. there is the caveat, however, that there are some pretty shonky cheap hubs out there that do not work - not due to any fault of TinyUSB itself, but because these cheap hubs often use one of several shonky clone-of-a-clone chips that barely works at the best of times. these days, even a good hub can be realized with little more than a 16-pin SOP chip and a 12MHz crystal; some oven get away without the crystal.

USB HOST support is all handled by TinyUSB, the same module as used in the HID2CDC project. whereas on the CMM2, USB support is via something else provided by ST. the complexity of implementing USB, in either case, is handled by the underlying package (tinyUSB et al), while the programmer (Peter or No0ne) just has to figure out how to 'connect together all the plumbing' - which is, incidentally, quite an achievement in itself.

No0ne proved it was possible first with a project that he appears to have been working at for a year or so, Peter had a look at No0ne's code and then decided to have a go himself. No0ne is just a tad further ahead, in that multiple DEVICE support is already in the pipeline.

cheers,

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:16am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Rob, Sorry I missed that. In that case I agree with your second post about adding an internal hub. It will be interesting to see what Peter thinks and does. But since he ignored your suggestion...

I wonder if any of this could be carried over to the CMM2?

All that aside, I still want Wii and joystick sockets (in vain I suspect).

Bill

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:18am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter, All,

Mainly for your information Peter, Great work by the way.

I have tested the firmware for USB kb and it worked straight away.

Reading the above about HUBs (I missed your comment in the original post), I decided to test that and indeed it DOES work with some USB HUBs, the HUB that worked with the HID2CDC project works on your firmware, the HUB that didn't work on the HID2CDC does not work on the firmware. So in the case of HUBs YMMV.

One thing I noticed (well two things)

If a second keyboard is plugged into the HUB it will not be recognised, (only the first will work).
also
I can plug and unplug the kb and get it working but it reports "keyboard disconnected" twice.

Very good job, this is opening the way for more devices to work with the PicoVGA.

Regards,

Mick

EDIT***

Oh, I forgot to add, it also works well with a wireless keyboard (via Dongle)

Edited 2024-01-28 13:21 by bigmik
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:47am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  I wonder if any of this could be carried over to the CMM2?

one of the intentions i had with the HID2CDC was that it would be able to attach to a CMM2 and seamlessly provide for both USB keyboard and USB mouse support at the same time. essentially one would throw out the HobbyTronics mouse chip, and replace it with a pico + USB single-chip hub.

the same pico that is running HID2CDC could also, potentially, include the functionality of the CH430G. but that would require a bit of work!

cheers,

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:00am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Bill

Wot? No "standard"? I try to create one but no-one wants to adopt it... :)
I've been using more or less the sane "Port A" DB9M socket for the PicoGAME series from the start. It accepts 1off Atari joysticks, 1off 2-axis Analogue joysticks, 2off analogue Paddles, 2off NES/SNES controllers and I2C, mostly by making software changes in your program. It has GP0, GP1, GP2, GP3, GP26, GP27, 3V3, GND and a pin to use as a Fire button, which, due to IO restraints, isn't always on the same GP.

I would argue against having a connection for a WII controller purely on the grounds of their connector requirements. The card edge system works, but requires a decent amount of space beneath the PCB. That makes it difficult to use if the board is to be cased. The CMM2 gets round it by using spacers to pack the PCB up, but that brings the problem of them being awkward to use. The screw length is important as there is little plastic in the mounting pillars. By raising the board up you also place restrictions on the height of other components. So far this hasn't been a problem, but it's still something to think about. The WII PCB sockets are not easy to find as it doesn't appear to be used for anything else and, in fact, may not actually be in production as no WII controllers have been made for over ten years. It's a good controller, but unless you are also going to make some sort of adapter for it or rewire it then IMHO it's not a great choice.

You all know my views on joysticks and controllers now (roll on I2C via RJ12!), I think, so I'll leave it at that. :) However, I recently got a pair of USB SNES controllers which might be worth looking at as some sort of standard in the light of recent USB events.
Edited 2024-01-28 19:05 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

PhenixRising
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:25am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One last version

75575edc-519c-4385-9617-4183d87ead63.pdf

Link in the power supply to the amp to disable it if required
Extra holes near the speaker connectors
Change to the "large" DS3231 which is in stock

New price including the RTC £15.15 each (5 off)

There isn't board real estate to include a Wii connector or board cut-out but with the rear facing connector exposing all the pins it is trivial to use an external adapter for the Wii or for a NES controller.

At the moment my USB hub has died but in the future I may try and add support for something like the Sony DualShock 3.

NB: I intend that this will be the reference design and will pre-configure the firmware to work with this configuration "out-of-the-box"

Edited 2024-01-28 20:30 by matherp

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:36am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can you reserve one for me Peter? Assuming you get 5 build.
I especially like the pinout on the 40p header that is a copy of a real pico.

Volhout
Edited 2024-01-28 20:38 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:39am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've ordered 5 - price to me including shipping and VAT is £21.16 each
Happy to send one at that price + any postage to the Netherlands

Bleep
Guru

Posted: 10:56am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,
If you have any spare, I'd like one please.
Regards Kevin

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:58am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very impressive Peter ... though I'm not entirely certain I can tell what is the "front" and what is the "back" of the board ?

Does all this work now mean that you have a route to providing a device with support for a (wireless?) USB keyboard AND mouse AND controller (ideally two) or are there "driver" concerns ?

If so then I think you really have excelled yourself in providing a killer retro-like machine at a knockdown price.

I wonder if the same work can be leveraged into a CMM 2.5 ... either directly or by coupling the former with an RP2040 ?

No doubt some nutter will want to attach a USB mass-storage device or camera ... and any moment someone will chime in about HDMI ... not me though.

> At the moment my USB hub has died ...

I can't help with that.

> but in the future I may try and add support for something like the Sony DualShock 3.

But I can contribute one of these if it is something you might consider:

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-compatible-usb-gamepad-controller-snes-style?

Congratulations again, and thanks for your continued efforts.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:19am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  If you have any spare, I'd like one please.
Regards Kevin

Allocated - one left unallocated.

Some of the component pricing is amazing.
5 boards have a total of 75x0.1uF capacitors - total price for these £0.07

Page 2 of 13    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024