Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:24 21 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour Maximite 1.5? or something

Page 3 of 13    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:22am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think "front" is the side with the headphone socket and expansion connector, Tom. I don't think I'd want the rest of the stuff at the front. My little desk is already full! :)

@ matherp

I'd like your last one, please.  :)
Edited 2024-01-28 21:25 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I think "front" is the side with the headphone socket and expansion connector, Tom. I don't think I'd want the rest of the stuff at the front. My little desk is already full! :)

Except Peter referred to that as the rear:

matherp said  ...but with the rear facing connector exposing all the pins it is trivial to use an external adapter for the Wii or for a NES controller.

Hence my confusion .

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:26am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, yeah.... :)

It was at the back on the CMM2 though. :)

Edited 2024-01-28 21:27 by Mixtel90
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:30am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The side with the 40-pin connector is notionally the front (or is it the right side?)

I did think of doing a design say 200x50 with all the connectors along a single edge. This could then fit inside a keyboard with access to everything at the back. Sometime-never I might try and find a keyboard this would work in

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:40am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried a "under keyboard" design some time ago. Designed to fit under rather than inside a keyboard, with the connectors arranged behind rather than under the keyboard. Probably a little clunky, but it meant that it wasn't so keyboard-critical.

That was when Volhout and I first had fun with the PWM audio filters. :)
Mick

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 11:55am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My old setup
It works very well.

Pluto

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  At the moment my USB hub has died but in the future I may...

that is mightily bad luck you are having over there. i guess this limits your ability to get mouse support up and running?

is anyone in the UK able to post Peter another USB hub? i'd send him one of mine (i have several), but being on the other side of the world this is a tad impractical.

cheers,
rob   :-)

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure what you mean by mouse support. Mouse support like the CMM2 is a huge amount of coding to support a cursor properly - none of it transportable from the CMM2. Mouse support in just the USB stack seems pretty pointless whereas support for a USB game controller clearly has real application

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Not sure what you mean by mouse support. Mouse support like the CMM2 is a huge amount of coding to support a cursor properly - none of it transportable from the CMM2. Mouse support in just the USB stack seems pretty pointless whereas support for a USB game controller clearly has real application

Whilst bells and whistles are nice I think maybe we should be looking for something that generates mouse move and button down interrupts and then it's up to the individual programs to do something with that ... yes, someone will want the EDITor updating with mouse support, but kick that back until the weather is bad or someone else picks it up once you've supplied the fundamentals.

YMMV,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

JanVolk

Posted: 12:49pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter

Thanks for the adjustments.
Now hope that the DS3231 will not touch the bottom(minus) of the CR2032 cell? The Chip is 2.4mm high from PCB. The battery holder CR2032 with my RTC print is 6mm from top CR2032 cell to PCB, but is it a different holder?

Jan

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:50pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  matherp said  Not sure what you mean by mouse support. Mouse support like the CMM2 is a huge amount of coding to support a cursor properly - none of it transportable from the CMM2. Mouse support in just the USB stack seems pretty pointless whereas support for a USB game controller clearly has real application

Whilst bells and whistles are nice I think maybe we should be looking for something that generates mouse move and button down interrupts and then it's up to the individual programs to do something with that ... yes, someone will want the EDITor updating with mouse support, but kick that back until the weather is bad or someone else picks it up once you've supplied the fundamentals

exactly what i had in mind, Tom.

my implementation outline, copy-and-pasted from No0ne's HID2CDC github from a couple of weeks ago:

1.  have mouse wheel up/down rotation permanently translate to the up/down arrow keys:
   VK_UP: escape+"[A"
   VK_DOWN: escape+"[B"

(addendum: ctrl-E and ctrl-X may be better choices for mouse wheel rotation, that way a running mmbasic program can distinguish between mouse movement and wheel rotation. within the editor, ctrl-E and ctrl-X are alternatives to arrow up and arrow down for use with a dumb terminal that lacks arrow keys)

2.  translate mouse movement to arrow key escape sequences when mouse reporting is on as follows:
   VK_UP: escape+"[A"
   VK_DOWN: escape+"[B"
   VK_RIGHT: escape+"[C"
   VK_LEFT: escape+"[D"

some scaling of mouse movement may be needed, and the rate of arrow movements limited to, say, 10 reports per second. this rate could perhaps be adjustable, as could X and Y scaling factors, selected using some alt- key combinations. or just use alt-1 to alt-9 to select between 9 different sets of presets.

3.  have two key combinations to enable and disable mouse reporting: alt-M turns it on, alt-N turns it off. an alternative would be to hijack the use of scroll-lock, but this key may be missing from some compact keyboards. maybe provide for both options?

4.  if mouse reporting is currently turned off, temporarily turn it on while the left or right mouse button is held depressed.

as far as i can see, the above should give us:

-   mouse wheel always works in editor to scroll up/down
-   within the editor one can 'drag' the edit cursor using the mouse while holding down one of the mouse buttons
-   within games, there is a means for the user to turn on mouse reporting without need for holding down the mouse button continuously, and thereafter use the mouse instead of the arrow keys.

cheers,

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Reading a mouse and having time to do anything with a cursor while a program is running are two different things. Updating a cursor position takes time, and doing it in real time in response to movement of a mouse is a pretty heavy load on a CPU. That's going to slow down any running program while the mouse is moved.
Mick

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Reading a mouse and having time to do anything with a cursor while a program is running are two different things. Updating a cursor position takes time, and doing it in real time in response to movement of a mouse is a pretty heavy load on a CPU. That's going to slow down any running program while the mouse is moved.

the above approach does not involve generating a cursor or mouse pointer, the mouse movements are just translated, essentially, into keyboard arrow sequences - albeit arriving potentially quite fast.

within the editor, time is not of the essence. while within a game the mouse is just going to be moving a gamepiece that the player is going to want to move anyway - unless it is a really boring game that involves no on-screen movement!

i do agree with Peter's view that creating a completely independent mouse pointer is potentially quite a task, hence the idea of just using arrow key translations. i do have some ideas of how do do a proper mouse pointer, but i'm not too sure Peter would be up to implementing it.

cheers,

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:49pm 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quick update

I've got a USB keyboard, USB mouse and a Sony DualShock4 all working perfectly within MMBasic using the same code. Now the question is will they all work together - as long as Amazon deliver a new hub I'll know tomorrow

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:00am 29 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  If you have any spare, I'd like one please.
Regards Kevin

Allocated - one left unallocated.

Some of the component pricing is amazing.
5 boards have a total of 75x0.1uF capacitors - total price for these £0.07

That is in line with what we pay on industrial level for large QTY: USD 0.001 per capacitor (common values 1n/10n/100n X5R). Or resistor (5%).

Regards,

Volhout
Edited 2024-01-29 18:01 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:58am 29 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Peter
Did you spot my post?
  Quote  @ matherp

If there's still one left, of course. :)
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:26am 29 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All three now allocated, Mick, Harm and Kevin

Once I receive the boards and test everything out I will of course make all the design files available - perhaps Grogster might be persuaded to list them?

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:30am 29 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  @ Peter
Did you spot my post?
  Quote  @ matherp

If there's still one left, of course. :)

Mick,

If Peter has run out, then you can have the one reserved for me. With my current day time job, I can hardly spend any time for PicoMite, so it would be of better use if someone got it that could immediately use it. Peter will be looking for response/testing on technical and software level. I will get one later in the year, once I have more time.

Volhout

P.S. If it goes to you it stays in the UK. Easier for shipping also, due to Brexit shipping between EU and UK is a pain in the lower back side of the corpus.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:35am 29 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Peter, and thanks for the offer, Volhout. :)
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 29 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Progress

Page 3 of 13    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024