Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:27 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PWM to +/- 10V

Page 4 of 4    
Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:56am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Actual DAC signal:

Craig

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 07:04am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

That 100Hz is the upper 3db point, the input 0.15uF capacitor has an impedance of about 100 ohms at 10kHz so that should be insignificant.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:06am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeterB said  Bill.

I think that Craig's circuit is part of a servo and would need a response down to d.c.
I may be wrong.
He hasn't tested my circuit yet after all the hours I spent wearing my slide rule down to the bone. These young blokes have no respect for we old people.

PeterB  

Au contraire :)

I value any/all contributions. Am about to hack this older prototype to try the various options  

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 07:15am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How fast was it going when it hit the truck?

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:29am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeterB said  How fast was it going when it hit the truck?

It spent a few days in an actual machine, to prove-out. Didn't trust the headers and so got carried away with the hot-glue gun.  
Edited 2022-05-17 17:32 by Tinine

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:39am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Tinine,

The circuit I proposed uses -12V to bias the output to 0.
If you have a noisy -12V, you could inject noise.

If you use a picomite, do you use a linear regulator? or the noisy switcher ?
If you use a linear regulator, I could redesign the circuit to use the "clean" 3.3V to bias the output to 0.

AC coupling is also an option. That removes the need for biasing. The DC is created from the dutycycle, so AC coupling also gives DC stability of the loop. The only problem is that you have a huge "startup" artifact (that may also happen during a "reboot"). Not sure if this is worse than what you are trying to fix.

Let me know if you want me to spend time on it.

Regards,

Volhout
Edited 2022-05-17 17:45 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:08am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  @Tinine,

The circuit I proposed uses -12V to bias the output to 0.
If you have a noisy -12V, you could inject noise.

If you use a picomite, do you use a linear regulator? or the noisy switcher ?
If you use a linear regulator, I could redesign the circuit to use the "clean" 3.3V to bias the output to 0.

AC coupling is also an option. That removes the need for biasing. The DC is created from the dutycycle, so AC coupling also gives DC stability of the loop. The only problem is that you have a huge "startup" artifact (that may also happen during a "reboot"). Not sure if this is worse than what you are trying to fix.

Let me know if you want me to spend time on it.

Regards,

Volhout

Many thanks but I'm not worried at this stage.
When all is said and done, in a live closed-loop scenario, this analogue signal is all over the place because the output of the PID filter constantly fluctuates.
The signal feeds a 12-bit ADC that has filtering with the sampling and finally, at the end of the line, there is an electric motor.
I have a machine sitting-here, waiting for its new control system...and I'm building the control system. All of the motor-control is being handled by the 8-core Propeller and I have 4 Picomites handling the slower stuff.

This is a 6-axis CNC controller and it just so happens that 3 of the axes are tightly controlled/coordinated but the others...not so much.
Right now I'm thinking; 3 DACs of one design and 3 DACs of another design and let's see if one is better than the other when on a real machine.  

Craig

Edit:
  Quote  The only problem is that you have a huge "startup" artifact (that may also happen during a "reboot").

This would never be a problem because none of the high-power stuff is enabled until the controller is in a ready-state.
Edited 2022-05-17 18:13 by Tinine

phil99

Guru

Posted: 08:10am 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To minimize the "startup artifact" is it practical for the Pico to get it's 3.3V from +1.65V and -1.65V rails? It might require opto-isolators on the inputs.

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024