Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:58 04 Jul 2020 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : BMS Revisited

Page 3 of 3    
Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:48pm 15 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I prefer to manually place all my components, then manually run anything that is high voltage, high current, or high frequency, or a bit unusual.
Then let the auto router loose on whatever remains.

I use Protel, and on a big board, something with perhaps 500+ nodes, it does in about one minute what would literally take me at least a very frustrating week to lay out and check manually. Even better still, the electrical and design rule checkers are a huge help in laying out a board that has zero layout errors.

Any other mistakes after that always seem to be due to fundamental design stuff ups by the project idiot.

We have come a very long way from the original tape and doughnuts era.
Cheers, Tony.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 02:21am 16 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  ...I use Protel, and on a big board, something with perhaps 500+ nodes, it does in about one minute what would literally take me at least a very frustrating week to lay out and check manually. Even better still, the electrical and design rule checkers are a huge help in laying out a board that has zero layout errors.

Any other mistakes after that always seem to be due to fundamental design stuff ups by the project idiot.

We have come a very long way from the original tape and doughnuts era.

Agree the electrical and design rule checks are great and cut down on mistakes.

Years ago I used use the DOS version of Protel PCB and Schematic, had a dongle card that fitted in a slot inside the PC for activation, still have it, doubt it would run on any PC's today; Probably did several thousand hours of design work using it. Had a windows version Protel 99SE for awhile, but it was a bit of a pain to use, now that Altium has taken its place, I couldn't justify the cost for hobbyist use, so went to DipTrace which had about 1 hr of learning time to get up to speed with it and I find very easy to use; albeit doesn't do some things as well as I would like.

I remember those tape and doughnuts, "Bishop Graphics brand" and a big light table, we used to make the layouts double size, then reduce photographically using a plate camera to 1:1. I had made my own plate camera using the lenses from a photographic enlarger, used to work quite well.

Cheers
Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 04:31am 22 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boards are in the post, 5 days to manufacture, so factory is doing quite well considering.

Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:37am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PCB's arrived couple of weeks ago, building this project now, to stop going stir crazy, its either that or drink beer, perhaps both, have just bottled 30 x 750cc bottles of dark stout.

Mike

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2020