Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:43 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 6Kw Ozinverter build

Page 19 of 51    
Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:42pm 04 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think Lanox & Lanolin spray are much the same thing.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:47pm 04 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lanox is just a brand name, lanolin is the active ingredient.
Makes everything smell like a sheep though, it's a very distinctive smell.
The wife hates it, sprayed the 4wd hinges with it one day, never heard the end of it. Edited by renewableMark 2018-03-06
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 10:04pm 04 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't use it around Kiwis.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 07:48am 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness said   Don't use it around Kiwis.

All the ugly fat kiwi chicks use it to lure men, it's sold in all their sex shops.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:31am 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said  
All the ugly fat kiwi chicks use it to lure men, it's sold in all their sex shops.

Mark, if you ever see one of those huge Maori war canoes paddling towards you full of very large and hungry cannibals.... Jeez I hope you have insurance.
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:54am 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Haha, yep good point Tony, just had a mental picture of one of those fat things sitting on my face, hmm can't unthink that!!!

Check your inbox mate.
Was wondering if I could pop by tomorrow to pick up the solar controller you fixed.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mark your wife is going to be hiding the Lanolin spray from you, except maybe for special occasions.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 07:52pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It only works on Kiwi's mate!

Picked up a new 100uf cap from jaycar yesterday, it measured fine, funny thing was it's a good 50% bigger in physical size to the ebay China ones.

I see elsewhere the 13v zener is now being replaced with an 18v, so I'll swap that out too.

Did some work on the aerosharp boxes yesterday, moved the toroid mounting bolt, ground off the useless bits.

Need some DIN rail for the breakers, power board cables, cable lugs.

Still need to wind the primary cable and cut the heatsinks, so getting close to testing.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 08:20pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One option for the power cables is to combine 6 or more smaller cables, the end result is more flexible.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:48pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have Clockmans board which has 6 locations for cables to be soldered on the board, may as well do the same for the positive battery connection on the long heatsink too.
That will need good connections, can't risk anything coming loose there, so better get a proper crimper.

Does this type look OK?

Edit, just thinking this one has a more useable range of dies.
Edited by renewableMark 2018-03-07
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:53pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a "big fella" crimper here you can borrow for a while if that helps.
Its not something I use very often.
Anyhow I plan to be home all day if you wish to drop in.
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:59pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ripper, thanks Tony, I'll pop by later, don't need the crimper today, but I'll yell out when I get to that step.
Cheers.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:19pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got one of those 16 ton crimpers last year for $50.99 delivered. It works quite well, but if you won't use it much and have the option to borrow one save your money for more Lanolin.

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 09:34pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness said   I got one of those 16 ton crimpers last year for $50.99 delivered. It works quite well, but if you won't use it much and have the option to borrow one save your money for more Lanolin.

I have one thats looks like a set of boltcutters in storage, and in one of my toolboxes I still have the crimper thing I had to make as an apprentice, two blocks of metal we had to file to 0.5mm accuracy and can be used with a spanner on the two bolts or in a vice- works a treat
(The chippies had to get a inch thick block of steel- make it perfectly square, then turn it into a circle, then back into a square- all measured with verniers, and all done with nothing more than a hammer and chisel... that was the first 6 months of their apprenticeship! glad I wasnt a chippy...)

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:35pm 05 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One thing to watch out for when buying a monster e-bay crimper.

There are a great many different cable size standards around the world, and a variety of foreign crimp lug brands that have rather different outside diameters and wall thicknesses to those we have in oZ.
Some of the overseas sourced crimp tools (and lugs) end up having funny jaw sizes that do not always fit good Aussie made Utilux crimp lugs and metric cable sizes very well.

An American or Chinese sourced crimper may not always work as well as it should. Soldering is always an option, but its a sad thing to be forced to do if you have just bought yourself a large deluxe fully optioned Godzilla crimp tool set.
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:04am 06 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boppa said  
  Madness said   I got one of those 16 ton crimpers last year for $50.99 delivered. It works quite well, but if you won't use it much and have the option to borrow one save your money for more Lanolin.

I have one thats looks like a set of boltcutters in storage, and in one of my toolboxes I still have the crimper thing I had to make as an apprentice, two blocks of metal we had to file to 0.5mm accuracy and can be used with a spanner on the two bolts or in a vice- works a treat
(The chippies had to get a inch thick block of steel- make it perfectly square, then turn it into a circle, then back into a square- all measured with verniers, and all done with nothing more than a hammer and chisel... that was the first 6 months of their apprenticeship! glad I wasnt a chippy...)

Huh??? Chippies working with steel, you mean block of wood right?

Either way, the bozo's wouldn't be trained like that these days, tolerances on houses now is measured in increments of 10cm.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:34am 06 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

She'll be right mate, near enough is good enough. Never heard of a chippie using verniers, quality cabinet making requires them though.

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 06 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nah, these were fitters and turners, they were nicknamed chippies at the college of knowledge (the apprentice training center) at the railways and yup- it was steel
I was one of the sparkies- electrical fitter

Madness

Guru

Posted: 08:59pm 06 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Where I come from a chippie is a carpenter.

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 11:09pm 06 Mar 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Didnt have many carpenters in the railways, everything was done in metal. A lot of things were different, I did most of my early years with 48vdc, 110vac and 1500vdc, where the moneybags (private industry boys) did 12 and 24vdc and 240/415vac
Even today, many older railway stations have limited or no 240vac, and are still running 110vac for lighting (and in some cases GPO's) luckily many places incandescents were used, they can use multivoltage switchmode supplied compact fluros, same with a lot of computer gear can run happily off the 110vac- but the staff sometimes used to complain in winter when they would bring in a heater to work, and it 'wouldnt work properly'- no they dont work well at half voltage...

Page 19 of 51    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024