Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:16 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Armmite F4: programming the firmware

Page 8 of 16    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:39pm 21 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  and had found that RESET would fix it

Quote  It did display a faint "pattern" - kind of tiny checkerboard rectangles covering the entire screen, but it was very hard to see, certainly no display from a GUI TEST LCDPANEL command, nor a CLS with various background colours tried. It seemed to ignore GUI CALIBRATE and GUI RESET LCDPANEL didn't show any visible changes either.

Sounds like I might have got the timings on the FSMC bus a bit aggressive for the SSD1963 controller. I've only specifically tested a 5" version on patch wires. Once I get the adapter up and running I'll test all the variants and post an update if required. Won't be before next weekend though as I'm away from home at the moment

UPDATE

Just thought of something. Please could you try the very first release in this thread and let me know if it works with the SSD1963 displays - thanksEdited by matherp 2019-07-23

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:31pm 21 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With the 2019-05-03 hex file and 5V on the adapter jumpered to either 3V3 or 5V, the 4.3" SSD1963 configures ok--GUI CALIBRATE and GUI TEST TOUCH work.

With the 7" SSD1963, powered separately as in the above posts, I don't get a COM port--just "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

If I power off, unplug the LCD, and power back on I get a USB port as expected.

MMBasic reports as 5.05.06.

(But if someone else tries it, it may work out.)Edited by lizby 2019-07-23
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:21am 23 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another Bugger

I ordered some more boards & displays back on the 16th from AliExress. Just got an email saying "Seller failed to ship Order. Order automatically cancelled."

I assume they are available elsewhere.

Interesting, new Micromite Backpack in the latest SC.

ChopperP

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:06pm 24 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dear matherp,

I finally managed to get my F4 board working using the serial interface. I used the one version that you released with option serial.

Impressive speed on the gui test lcdpanel.
This is really faster than the 170.
If I run my earlier program for the curve tracer the speed gain is not so impressive, but there is definitely a speed improvement.

However, I am stuck with my single F4 board, and not really plan to buy more of them at risk until I hit one where USB works.

Would it be possible for you to add a hex file for a version with option serial enabled with new releases..? I am interested in the recent changes, but currently see no way to get that in my unit...unless you can provide help...
Or maybe someone else who is willing to put a hex file on the forum for me.

Thanks in advance,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 24 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good news (for me). Another email saying new boards still coming.
Will wait & see when.
ChopperP

erbp

Posted: 02:35am 25 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  
Would it be possible for you to add a hex file for a version with option serial enabled with new releases..? I am interested in the recent changes, but currently see no way to get that in my unit...unless you can provide help...
Or maybe someone else who is willing to put a hex file on the forum for me.

Thanks in advance,

Volhout

Hi Volhout,

Attached is a copy of Peter's latest F4 firmware (2019-07-19_223042_ArmmiteF4) with the Serial Console option set. This file does also have the LCDPanel and Touch options RESET but you can easily set these up again once you have it loaded and running with the Serial Console.

2019-07-25_123233_ArmmiteF4_SerialConsole.zip

In case you don't have the details for the standard options:
OPTION LCDPANEL ILI9341_16, LANDSCAPE and OPTION TOUCH PB12, PC5
You will then need to do a GUI CALIBRATE.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Phil.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:37am 25 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi erbp,

Thanks, I got it...

Volhout

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:53am 28 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

New version with SSD1963 support reworked:

ArmmiteF4.zip

This is tested on 4.3", 5", 7" and 9" versions

For 4.3", 5", 7" versions make sure the backlight control jumper on the display is set to 1963_PWM. You can then leave the LED_A pin disconnected but it is benign if it is wired to 3.3V or the LCD_BL pin on the STM32F407 (PB1)

For 4.3" and 5" displays only the 3.3V supply is needed.

For 7" displays the 5V pin on the display should be connected. I found that my STM32F407 board was able to supply adequate power but this will depend on the USB port on the computer used. The USB enumeration code now asks for 500mA which is adequate for a 7" display (400mA) + the STM32F407 board itself.

For 9" displays using the Grogster adapter I needed to use an external 5V supply connected to the 5V pin.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 28 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One further point. My version of W10 is fully up-to-date and there seems to have been a change in USB CDC handling.

Teraterm no longer drops the USB connection when the the STM32F407 is hardware reset, software reset, or even re-programmed. Or rather the USB connection is re-established transparently with no user involvement.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 08:29am 29 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  [ Once I get the adapter up and running I'll test all the variants and post an update if required. Won't be before next weekend though as I'm away from home at the moment

Have any adaptor boards been made yet for the SSD display or for the smaller displays?

Thanks
ChopperP

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:19am 29 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Have any adaptor boards been made yet for the SSD display or for the smaller displays?

Yes but they had a bug on them. I'm waiting for a new batch and if OK I'll post the gerbers

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 29 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK Thanks.

(I'm hoping Grogster may get some made up)
ChopperP

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 05:35pm 29 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@erbp

The hex file you made for me does not boot. Also, the hex file is smaller in size compared to matherps hex file Maybe it is incomplete. I will keep using his, until he plans to do a release. Then I would like someones help to get it converted to serial console.

@matherp

I really cannot find anything wrong with my F4 board. Checked crystal oscillator, spot on frequency.
I have seen similar behaviour ( some boards will not power correctly on crystal, where they work flawless on rc oscillator) with projects i work on professionally, and typically this is caused by timing, do you wait long enough for the internal pll's to settle before starting tasks like usb.

Volhout

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 05:38pm 29 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@erbp

The hex file you made for me does not boot. Also, the hex file is smaller in size compared to matherps hex file Maybe it is incomplete. I will keep using his, until he plans to do a release. Then I would like someones help to get it converted to serial console.

@matherp

I really cannot find anything wrong with my F4 board. Checked crystal oscillator, spot on frequency.
I have seen similar behaviour ( some boards will not power correctly on crystal, where they work flawless on rc oscillator) with projects i work on professionally, and typically this is caused by timing, do you wait long enough for the internal pll's to settle before starting tasks like usb.

Volhout

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:47pm 29 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Serial console version attached

ArmmiteF4.zip

Quote  do you wait long enough for the internal pll's to settle before starting tasks like usb.

I use STs standard code as per their USB demos.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:18am 30 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@matherp,

I tried your latest version for serial (thanks by the way for providing it) and it does not work.

This made me think, why did erbp's hex file not work, why does your latest hex file not work while an earlier hex file with serial console did work...??

I decided to download the firs hex file in this thread with USB console (the 2019-05-03), and …..hooray, that one worked. It enumerated USB correctly, and works on teraterm through USB.

I decided to try all hex files provided by you to see what works and what not.

2019-05-03 = OK (USB)
2019-05-25 (191158) = OK (serial)
2019-05-25 (213711) = OK (serial)
2019-06-13 = NOT WORKING (USB)
2019-06-22 = NOT WORKING (USB)
2019-07-25 (erbp) = NOT WORKING (SERIAL)
2019-07-30 = NOT WORKING (SERIAL)

I am not sure what changed between the early may versions and later, but it does not go well with my board.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:39am 30 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@matherp, @erbp,

It looks like my board is really defective in some way.
I tried the 2019-05-03 versions several times, and even that version does not enumerate reliable.

I think this is a trash can board. I have lost confidence in it.
Too many hours spend in making the board work, that could be used for being creative, and finishing my curve tracer.

Volhout.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:00am 30 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I am not sure what changed between the early may versions and later, but it does not go well with my board.

The only real difference is that the amount of flash used for the firmware is greater so I would suspect that there is a fault in the flash memory or that for some reason the last block isn't getting ptogrammed properly

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:43pm 30 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much for this. Sorry for the delay in responding. Summer has intruded.

I had previously noticed that reboot did not cause the usb connection to be dropped.

For my 4.3", I had to supply 3.3V to the 5V connection on the adapter, and jump the backlight to nominal 5V (in this case, 3V3). I can't say I tested all possible permutations.

The same was true for my particular 7" SSD1963--I had to supply power (3V3) to the 5V pin on the adapter. My program writes to the screen perfectly

I've been unable to get GUI CALIBRATE to work on the 7" LCD. The prompt and target are displayed, but there is no response to a touch.

ARMmite MMBasic Version 5.05.08
Copyright 2011-2019 Geoff Graham
Copyright 2016-2019 Peter Mather

> gui calibrate
> option list
OPTION LCDPANEL SSD1963_7_16, LANDSCAPE
OPTION TOUCH PB12, PC5
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:08pm 30 Jul 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I've been unable to get GUI CALIBRATE to work on the 7" LCD. The prompt and target are displayed, but there is no response to a touch.

If it works on the other size displays then it must be your 7" has a problem. I certainly checked touch on all sizes once I had swapped DIN and DO on your adapter and it worked fine. Send me a PM with your address and I'll stick a couple of the corrected adapters in the post once I receive and have checked them.

Have you patched your displays to use 1963_PWM? This is quite important as it stops there being a current surge to the backlight when the Micromite is powered on.

Page 8 of 16    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024