Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:40 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Keyboard complaints with CMM2

Page 1 of 4    
CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 01:45pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The #1 complaint that I get from customers is that their keyboard doesn't work. I suggest that they update firmware and try some more keyboards. One saying "It looks like CMM2 supports very limited range of keyboards."

That customer provided a list of working and non-working models, which I copy here:

Following keyboard works:
- Logitech Wireless K270
- Logitech Wireless K800

Didn’t work on following models:
- Logitech Wireless K410
- Wired Raspberry Pi keyboard

Perhaps this thread can list keyboard successes and failures by type/model to help other people out.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:52pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The manual clearly says that keyboards with mouse function (i.e. touchpads) won't work

Logitech Wireless K410

and that hubs won't work

Wired Raspberry Pi keyboard (has a built in hub!!!!!)

This is not solvable. The ST USB stack does not support hubs - FULL STOP

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:00pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

People will not RTFM. Or just miss things (I know that I have).

At least a list here can be linked to directly and with information in two places it is 47.6% (I did the math    ) more likely that it will be found.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Suggest you attach a sticker to CMM2 that you ship:

Quote  Keyboards with any sort of mouse functionality e.g. trackpad, or with USB outlets will not work as they contain a USB hub which is not and cannot be supported

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:06pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  The #1 complaint that I get from customers is that their keyboard doesn't work. I suggest that they update firmware and try some more keyboards. One saying "It looks like CMM2 supports very limited range of keyboards."

That customer provided a list of working and non-working models, which I copy here:

Following keyboard works:
- Logitech Wireless K270
- Logitech Wireless K800

Didn’t work on following models:
- Logitech Wireless K410
- Wired Raspberry Pi keyboard

Perhaps this thread can list keyboard successes and failures by type/model to help other people out.

it was answered as I typed so this was redundant but I can not figure out how to delete it!!!!
Edited 2020-07-31 00:12 by mclout999

Atomizer_Zero

Posted: 02:26pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Mini-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-Black/dp/B010WMB6DK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rii+mini+i8%2B&qid=1596119132&sr=8-3

which has a mouse functionality, and it works fine, surprisingly! lol

EDIT: URL linking button is broken xD it was duplicating my text and putting extra /url in lol
Edited 2020-07-31 00:28 by Atomizer_Zero

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:42pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  which has a mouse functionality, and it works fine, surprisingly!

There are some that do because they don't implement the "mouse" via a hub, or the keyboard somehow bypasses the hub, seems to be specifically some type of cheap wireless, but the advice has to be don't buy and expect to work a keyboard with hub or mouse functionality.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 03:16pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Atomizer_Zero said  I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-Mini-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-Black/dp/B010WMB6DK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rii+mini+i8%2B&qid=1596119132&sr=8-3

which has a mouse functionality, and it works fine, surprisingly! lol

EDIT: URL linking button is broken xD it was duplicating my text and putting extra /url in lol

Cool I have 2 of those for Android TV boxes (Nvidia Shield TVs. mostly).  I will try them out.  I wish this thing had Bluetooth. Well actualy I wish it could have hubs and mouse suport but that not posable unless they add that to the usb stack.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 05:45pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Logitech K400+ is my keyboard of choice for the CMM2.

It is a nice compact Wireless Keyboard with a very nice feel to keypresses. Costs around £30 on amazon and is available in black (dark grey!) or white.

Note that it does have a glide pad (which is effectively redundant) - just confirming it DOES work.
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

mxck

Posted: 10:34pm 30 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a similar experience with my K750 solar powered logitech wireless keyboard using the logitech unified receiver. It was working to an extent, but seemed to pick up every other keypress or so. So I went and bought a cheaper wired keyboard, feels like it deserves its own dedicated keyboard anyway.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 12:09am 31 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  

There are some that do because they don't implement the "mouse" via a hub, or the keyboard somehow bypasses the hub, seems to be specifically some type of cheap wireless, but the advice has to be don't buy and expect to work a keyboard with hub or mouse functionality.

I didn't even know that was possible. USB is so complicated.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:34am 31 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said  
  matherp said  

I didn't even know that was possible. USB is so complicated.

A wired combo device is likely to incorporate a hub.

A wireless device might work by making 2 connections to the wireless receiver. This is how separate mice and keyboards work.
Logitech claim you can have up to 6 devices connected to the one receiver with their latest offering.
I wouldn't like to try more than one device at a time with the CMM2 but it does appear that the mouse/trackpads don't get in the way when they use a second wireless connection.

Just be thankful that the keyboards don't need some silly Windows software to make them work. That is likely to be the case as they try and get 'clever'.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:31am 01 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I don't know if someone is compiling a list of known working and non working keyboards for the CMM2 but these are my trials.

I have tested all of my keyboards that I had on hand, here is my testing list.

Working        
 HP sk2885          
 Cherry              
 Microsoft 600
 no-name slim white
 HP ku0316
 no name mini ds3000
 no name mini R260

Not Working
 No Name k670 backlit
 Dell sk815
 No Name BIG Hi-Vis Yellow buttons

So out of 10 keyboards 3 didn't work and 7 did.

Kind Regards

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

BobD

Guru

Posted: 03:16am 01 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have two working keyboards

Havit HV-KB390L from https://www.prohavit.com/products/hv-kb390l-low-profile-mechanical-keyboard/
and a no name mechanical switches colour back light from Amazon
Both are Ten Key Less.

shaputer

Posted: 06:10pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BigMik --- I bought a genuine Microsoft 600 wired keyboard and it doesn't work on my CMM2 board.  None of the several keyboards I already have work with it either.  Originally when I bought my board it worked with a wired Dell keyboard and then I plugged in a wireless Logitech keyboard and it work for a couple of short uses of the board and now NO keyboard has worked since and the time on the board is always incorrect.  I set both the time and the date before the keyboards stop working.  I have uploaded the firmware version 5.05.04 several times with no results.

I would appreciate any help from anyone because at this point I paid $100 for a board that's a paperweight.  Please help      

Out of desperation I tried the Beta version of the firmware CMM2V5.05.05b9.
The only change is that the time is now correct on the board, but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Edited 2020-08-16 04:29 by shaputer
If what you are doing is bringing out the worst in you than stop doing it.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:38pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check voltage on the switch pad - sounds like low power to the keyboard - what are you using to power the board?

Womble

Posted: 07:33pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use a Logitech K120 (UK layout) at the moment.
A basic wired keyboard but fairly nice to type on, and only costs around £10-£13

Womble

Posted: 07:47pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

shaputer said  I would appreciate any help from anyone because at this point I paid $100 for a board that's a paperweight.  Please help

Are you using a kit build, or prebuilt CMM2 ?

With a multimeter measure the DC voltage between the USB-B case (-ve) and the power switch (+ve)... it should be at or around 5v.  On a kit build you can also check the voltages at the 5VIN and 3.3V pins on the Waveshare.

Try a different USB-A to USB-B cable  I had loads of problems caused by an out of spec USB cable powering my CMM2.  Drove me nuts.  All for a simple cable !!!!
and yes it caused keyboard problems  

Regards

Womble
Edited 2020-08-16 05:54 by Womble

shaputer

Posted: 08:46pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

............... Drove me nuts.  All for a simple cable !!!!
and yes it caused keyboard problems  

Regards

Womble

THANKS SO MUCH !!!!  Fixed the problem.  All keyboards work now and the time is correct.        Mine was prebuilt.
Edited 2020-08-16 06:47 by shaputer
If what you are doing is bringing out the worst in you than stop doing it.

BobD

Guru

Posted: 09:49pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This project uses USB 2 for connectivity. USB 2 has a design upper limit specification of 500 milli-Amps. Although I think many PC attached devices can pull more without problems, 500mA should be adquate for most cmm2 and a normal keyboard (if necessary, turn the keyboard LEDs off).

However, there are many small usb 2 attached gadgets that you can buy only use as much as 100mA. They may also have cables which can manage this but not much more. As we have found out, 2 people (Womble and shaputer) have suffered from cables which couldn't carry enough current or were defective.

There is a method in the cmm2 manual that tells how to check if your current (mA) consumption is high and in a post above, Womble mentions how to check your voltage. If your current use is high then your voltage could be low and then things may cease to operate well or not at all and the symptoms could be quite weird. If you use plug-packs (aka wall worts) for power then make sure they have sufficent current (mA) capacity (read the label) and they can also go defective.

I didn't have any suitable cables and had to buy in cables for this project. Don't just have one. Always have spares for trouble shooting as they can go defective at any time. Also as Rob Rozee recently noted, some cables are magnetic. They use iron (steel) instead of copper which may limit their capacity.

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024