Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:41 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Welcome Tape

Page 2 of 8    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:49am 11 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch said  How about "Without license or Warranty of any kind"  

Sounds like The Unlicense which is fine by me for my contribution to this project. This does have the advantage that we don't need to include a name in the "license" and we can then just list authors (without any copyright message) in each of the individual contributions. Note I prefer to pick a standard "license" otherwise anyone who comes to this work after me will be having the same issues.

Quote  Seriously anything I have posted is fair game and as far as attribution goes, something like "Implemented on CMM2" or "Converted to MMBasic" sounds ok to me.  Most of my demos are from public sources and I just tweak them to work on the CMM2.

Thanks, that is great. Though my worry is that "public sources" can be a rather grey definition and there is no guarantee that those public sources haven't been lifted from less public sources. We will probably just have to provide some get-out for people to ask for their work to be withdrawn from the distribution at a later date - though of course it would still be present in the GitHub history forevermore.

I need more people to contribute opinions and give permissions (I realise some of these might be implicit since the code has been posted to TBS publicly without any copyright message, but I prefer an explicit permission), otherwise this project is going to be still born.

TassyJim, I'd especially appreciate hearing from you either here on in a private-message as you've been a big contributor of code to the forum that it would be nice to include.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 10:16am 11 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  Sasquatch said  How about "Without license or Warranty of any kind"  

Sounds like The Unlicense which is fine by me for my contribution to this project. This does have the advantage that we don't need to include a name in the "license" and we can then just list authors (without any copyright message) in each of the individual contributions. Note I prefer to pick a standard "license" otherwise anyone who comes to this work after me will be having the same issues.

Quote  Seriously anything I have posted is fair game and as far as attribution goes, something like "Implemented on CMM2" or "Converted to MMBasic" sounds ok to me.  Most of my demos are from public sources and I just tweak them to work on the CMM2.

Thanks, that is great. Though my worry is that "public sources" can be a rather grey definition and there is no guarantee that those public sources haven't been lifted from less public sources. We will probably just have to provide some get-out for people to ask for their work to be withdrawn from the distribution at a later date - though of course it would still be present in the GitHub history forevermore.

I need more people to contribute opinions and give permissions (I realise some of these might be implicit since the code has been posted to TBS publicly without any copyright message, but I prefer an explicit permission), otherwise this project is going to be still born.

TassyJim, I'd especially appreciate hearing from you either here on in a private-message as you've been a big contributor of code to the forum that it would be nice to include.

Best wishes,

Tom

I'd be happy with either the MIT licence you posted or the unlicence. I'd prefer we include credit/attribution somewhere in the collection if it's not needed for the licence itself or done for each individual file.

I'm happy for you to include my fractal program from the "CMM2 Turtle Graphics Demos" thread, it was a derivative of Sasquatch's program.

You might want to combine some of those turtle graphics programs, there were quite a few.

(but as I've said before, an initial less complete version would also be welcome)

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:27am 11 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said  I'd be happy with either the MIT licence you posted or the unlicence. I'd prefer we include credit/attribution somewhere in the collection if it's not needed for the licence itself or done for each individual file.

My current proposal is:

1) The collection is "licensed" under The Unlicense
2) The launcher program, i.e. the bit of code that I am writing, will include a "Credits" option to show all the credits.
3) Individual programs may also display separate credits - we'll see how it looks.
4) Each source file will include one or more author attributions.
5) There will be no copyright messages anywhere.
6) One exception might be the text adventure that I would like to include. Given no-one has volunteered having one already I am actually seeking permission from Scott Adams (Adventure International, not the Dilbert author) to include "Pirate Adventure" and I'm certain that even if he agrees that will need to include his (c).

capsikin said  You might want to combine some of those turtle graphics programs, there were quite a few.

That is my plan.

capsikin said  But as I've said before, an initial less complete version would also be welcome.

Also my plan, but currently I'm trying to determine whether there are sufficient contributors in agreement over the distribution terms before I spend too much time on it or make any GitHub repo of work in progress public.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-08-12 07:59 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:44am 13 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good news, have obtained permission from Scott Adams to include Pirate Adventure.

I really must find time to start making progress on this

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:16am 20 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Progress report:

1. A version 0.1 is starting to come together, however I disappeared down the rabbit hole for a bit with the infrastructure involved to call programs from the menu and then return control to the menu when the program completed - it was all getting a bit invasive on the original programs. I think I've worked out a simpler alternative which I now need to try out. I'm hopeful I might be able to make something available for comment by the end of the weekend when I will make the GitHub repository public and provide a version 0.1 zip file for those who are not GitHub aficionados.

2. I needs some opinions. Even after changing tack I will need to make some changes to the original programs in order to make them compatible with the menu infrastructure. Should I add myself to the authorship of the changed programs? My inclination is not, this isn't supposed to be my vanity project, but are the original authors content to accept me re-arranging their code without including myself in the list of those responsible

3. I would like some help with including jazzy splash-screen program, would anyone like to volunteer to show-off their skills? At the moment I have this placeholder:

Option Explicit
Option Default Integer
Option Base 1

'#Include "../common/common.inc"
Dim WE.VERSION$ = "Version 0.1"

Mode 1
Cls

Print
Print
Print "   _____         _                      ___  ___              _             _  _           _____ "
Print "  /  __ \       | |                     |  \/  |             (_)           (_)| |         / __  \"
Print "  | /  \/  ___  | |  ___   _   _  _ __  | .  . |  __ _ __  __ _  _ __ ___   _ | |_   ___  `' / /'"
Print "  | |     / _ \ | | / _ \ | | | || '__| | |\/| | / _` |\ \/ /| || '_ ` _ \ | || __| / _ \   / /  "
Print "  | \__/\| (_) || || (_) || |_| || |    | |  | || (_| | >  < | || | | | | || || |_ |  __/ ./ /___"
Print "   \____/ \___/ |_| \___/  \__,_||_|    \_|  |_/ \__,_|/_/\_\|_||_| |_| |_||_| \__| \___| \_____/"
Print
Print
Print "           _    _        _                                 _____                                 "
Print "          | |  | |      | |                               |_   _|                                "
Print "          | |  | |  ___ | |  ___   ___   _ __ ___    ___    | |    __ _  _ __    ___             "
Print "          | |/\| | / _ \| | / __| / _ \ | '_ ` _ \  / _ \   | |   / _` || '_ \  / _ \            "
Print "          \  /\  /|  __/| || (__ | (_) || | | | | ||  __/   | |  | (_| || |_) ||  __/            "
Print "           \/  \/  \___||_| \___| \___/ |_| |_| |_| \___|   \_/   \__,_|| .__/  \___|            "
Print "                                                                        | |                      "
Print "                                                                        |_|                      "
Print Space$(41) + WE.VERSION$
Print
Print
Print "             <Imagine this is an impressive 15 second demo of sound and graphics>"
Print
Print
Print "                                    Press any key to skip"
Print
Print

' Clear the keyboard input buffer
Do While Inkey$ <> "" : Loop

Dim i, j
For i = 1 To 16
 If i <> 1 Then Print Chr$(13);
 Print "                                Menu displayed in " Format$(16 - i, "%2g") " seconds ";
 For j = 1 To 100
   Pause 10
   If Inkey$ <> "" Then i = 17 : j = 101
 Next j
Next i

'we.run_menu()

End

4. Finally, apologies to anyone who was expecting me to contact them about permission for including their programs. For version 0.1 I've decided to go with a limited subset of the programs originally listed, and those authors have been contacted and all given their permission - Thank You!

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-08-20 21:47 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:46pm 22 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well version 0.1 is here:

https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome/releases/download/r0.1/welcome-r0.1.zip

and the GitHub repo is public:

https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome

Note 1: you need to be running firmware version 5.05.05b19 or later.

Note 2: all content is covered by The Unlicense with the exception of Scott Adams' Pirate Adventure. If I have unwittingly added your content that you are unhappy to be licensed in this way then please let me know ASAP.

It's rather rudimentary, but it's a starting point. Hopefully there are other TBS denziens who'd like to contribute towards making this worthy of Geoff, Peter & "The Team" 's work on the CMM2.

To get you started here is a brief TODO list, please volunteer to help out:

1. Replace splash-screen with something that shows off the CMM2's capabilities
2. Make the menu program look like something from the 90's, not the 70's.
3. Modernise "eliza/eliza.bas"
4. Port "pirate/pirate.bas" to CMM2
5. Add intro / instruction screen to Lunar Lander rather than having it start playing immediately
6. Add more content:
   - more games
   - sprite demos
   - sound demos
7. Update all contents to have consistent formatting (?)

Additionally I don't think either Lunar Lander or Conway's Game of Life are currently up-to-date with the latest versions published to TBS.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-08-23 07:53 by thwill

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:32pm 22 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good work and congratulations on the launch. Note the the FAQ needs to be updated for the latest mode: 1024x768
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:02am 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

I could have a go at the Pirate's Adventure but don't let that preclude someone else from also doing it. They could be a lot quicker.

Do you want the line numbers removed? That may take a while. MMEdit can do the heavy lifting but to make sense of the labels

Where did you get it from and are there more?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 05:34am 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, that's great. I tried some of the demos I hadn't got around to installing on my own, and it was also nice to see mine on there.

Life was missing from the zip file.

Sound demos - having one or two interactive onces could be good.
I think my chirps-ui3.bas.zip from https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12561&PID=152962#152962 is quite fun, though the code could probably use some tidying to be more readable. Let me know if you want to use it, I'm not currently planning to work on it further.

My other sound demos are non-interactive and probably less interesting.

And there's TweakerRay's piano program from this thread https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12560&PID=152660#152660 that I was in, I'm don't think the latest version has been posted, I saw some further changes mentioned after the ones I posted.

And while I'm listing sound demos, I'll mention MauroXavier's demo, though you're already aware of that (I don't think the new version's out yet)

We could also make a very simple program that inputs a line and then speaks it, if you like that idea.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:07am 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OH BOY

Somewhere else in this forum there was a discussion of GOTO and avoiding it's use.
In pirate.bas I counted 93

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:10am 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Test

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:32pm 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Hi Tom,

I could have a go at the Pirate's Adventure but don't let that preclude someone else from also doing it. They could be a lot quicker.

Thanks Bill, that would really be appreciated.

Quote  Do you want the line numbers removed? That may take a while. MMEdit can do the heavy lifting but to make sense of the labels

I think the line numbers can stay for the moment, the priority should be just to get it working.

Quote  Where did you get it from and are there more?

"Pirate Adventure" is a classic and one of the first published computer games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Adventure. Despite the source having been printed in Byte magazine in the early 80's it's still under copyright and I was surprised abd grateful that Scott Adams gave permission for its inclusion. Otherwise I would probably have had to take something of dubious legal provenance from a type-in book/magazine or spend the time to write a text adventure myself.

The current source was taken from https://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/scott-adams/games/c64/pirsrc.lzh and I believe is derived from the version of the code published in Byte magazine.

The Byte magazine articles can be found here:
- Original code: https://archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1980-12
- Addendum: https://archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1981-04, p302

Please note that Scott warned me that the published code was not transcribed accurately ... that may be what the Addendum covers.

Quote  Somewhere else in this forum there was a discussion of GOTO and avoiding it's use. In pirate.bas I counted 93

I'm not sure that there were equivalents of FUNCTION and SUB in the BASIC on most of the original 8-bit micros.

Thanks again,

Tom
Edited 2020-08-24 03:34 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:45pm 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Good work and congratulations on the launch. Note the the FAQ needs to be updated for the latest mode: 1024x768

Thanks. That text is taken from Geoff's official CMM2 site, presumably he will update that when a release version is created including Peter's recent changes.

Best regards,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:51pm 23 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said  Wow, that's great. I tried some of the demos I hadn't got around to installing on my own, and it was also nice to see mine on there.

Life was missing from the zip file.

Thanks, I'll fix that for version 0.2 and also ensure that I update to the latest versions of Life and Lunar Lander from TBS.

Quote  Sound demos - having one or two interactive onces could be good.
I think my chirps-ui3.bas.zip from https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12561&PID=152962#152962 is quite fun, though the code could probably use some tidying to be more readable. Let me know if you want to use it, I'm not currently planning to work on it further.

My other sound demos are non-interactive and probably less interesting.

And there's TweakerRay's piano program from this thread https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12560&PID=152660#152660 that I was in, I'm don't think the latest version has been posted, I saw some further changes mentioned after the ones I posted.

Thanks for the offer. I'll add taking a look at both you examples and TweakerRay's to my TODO list.

Quote  And while I'm listing sound demos, I'll mention MauroXavier's demo, though you're already aware of that (I don't think the new version's out yet)

I'm hoping that Mauro will volunteer something flashy, perhaps for the splash screen? However I have some concerns about the copyright of material contained in some of the demos he has released which would prevent me from including them

Quote  We could also make a very simple program that inputs a line and then speaks it, if you like that idea.

Perhaps we could enhance Eliza to make use of this feature. I assume there is only a single voice or can we adjust its timbre ?

Best wishes,

Tom

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 12:48am 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  capsikin said  

Perhaps we could enhance Eliza to make use of this feature. I assume there is only a single voice or can we adjust its timbre ?

Best wishes,

Tom

There's some adjustments that can be made. From the manual:
PLAY TTS [PHONETIC] "text" [,speed] [,pitch] [,mouth] [,throat] [, interrupt]
Outputs text as speech on the DAC outputs. See http://www.retrobits.net/atari/sam.shtml for details of parameter usage.
The speech is played in the background. 'interrupt' is optional and is the name of a subroutine which will be called when the speech has finished playing.

I was thinking something like:

intro$="Welcome to the Colour Maximite 2"
prompt$="Please enter something for me to speak, or Q to exit"
PLAY TTS intro$+" "+prompt$
PRINT intro$
10 INPUT prompt$;answer$
if answer$="Q" or answer$="q" then END
PLAY TTS answer$
GOTO 10

(you could add code to wait for each TTS command to finish, but I think it's possible to do without. On the other hand it might be a good example)
Edited 2020-08-24 10:51 by capsikin

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 07:51am 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a bit of fooling around with colourful text and simulated 3-D.

CMM2-Intro.zip

Maybe useful?

I don't know if sound would work well with this - there might be too much of a performance hit.

Enjoy!

Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 08:12am 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yup, that's kinda funny. MOD file playback stumbles noticeably as the sun moves. And don't take the SD card out while its playing!

WAV and MP3 files are no better. Too bad.  :-(
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:06am 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  Here is a bit of fooling around with colourful text and simulated 3-D ...

Thanks Pete,

It's much better than what we've got so I'll pull it into v0.2 even if it it ultimately proves to be another placeholder.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-08-24 20:06 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:07am 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said   ... I was thinking something like:

intro$="Welcome to the Colour Maximite 2"
prompt$="Please enter something for me to speak, or Q to exit"
PLAY TTS intro$+" "+prompt$
PRINT intro$
10 INPUT prompt$;answer$
if answer$="Q" or answer$="q" then END
PLAY TTS answer$
GOTO 10

OK, we probably want to add the ability to adjust the PLAY TTS parameters too.

Best regards,

Tom

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 12:25pm 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  I'm hoping that Mauro will volunteer something flashy, perhaps for the splash screen? However, I have some concerns about the copyright of the material contained in some of the demos he has released which would prevent me from including them

Ok, I have a giant music free resources here from Atari ST that I converted from AY-3-8192 to SN76489 and is good enough. We only need to give the credit to the author of each music, something that is very usual in the music demoscene.

About the splash screen, in the middle of CMM2 project I suggested making one, something memorable as NEOGEO, Capcom, Konami, and other intros. I have a good idea about it, in about 5 to 10 seconds I can produce almost all CMM2 graphics effects in one single splash intro, but I need to know what resolution are you aiming for. (This will limit how far I can go).

About the menu, I can make it too, like the menu on the old school Amiga Demos.

In any case, I will develop something here and send it to all see it is enough. If you will not use it, it can serve as a demo material to someone.

Page 2 of 8    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024