Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:30 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Welcome Tape

Page 3 of 8    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:55pm 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds great Mauro,

Quote  Ok, I have a giant music free resources here from Atari ST that I converted from AY-3-8192 to SN76489 and is good enough. We only need to give the credit to the author of each music, something that is very usual in the music demoscene.

OK, so these are original tunes created for the "demoscene" and not rip-offs (I'm not sure what other term to use) of mainstream popular music tracks. That sounds fine if you are sure, remember one of the goals is that the result would be distributable by the hardware vendors if they so chose.

Quote  About the splash screen, in the middle of CMM2 project I suggested making one, something memorable as NEOGEO, Capcom, Konami, and other intros. I have a good idea about it, in about 5 to 10 seconds I can produce almost all CMM2 graphics effects in one single splash intro, but I need to know what resolution are you aiming for. This will limit how far I can go.

I'm not particularly bothered by the resolution, but the splash screen needs to come up quickly, i.e. no long initialisation / resource processing step, be relatively short, and be interruptable. I would also suggest making it fairly conservative, the idea is to provide a bit of pazazz without completely outshining the rest of the collection's content or making any prospective young developer despair of matching your feats. If you want to add something really flash as a separate demo within the collection then that would be welcome.

Quote  About the menu, I can make it too, like the menu on the old school Amiga Demos.

That would be brilliant too, but as above I don't think we should make it too flashy.

Thanks for offering to contribute,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please note that Geoff has generously given us permission to use the Colour Maximite logo on the splash-screen (and presumably by extension the menu), though it is not obligatory.

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:01pm 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bill,

I've been pointed at another source for "Pirate Adventure" that looks like it is in much in better shape than that hideous C64 code:

https://github.com/ahope1/Beeb-Pirate-Adventure

Regards,

Tom

MikeAlves

Posted: 08:24pm 24 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a CMM2 Newbie, I really like where this thread is going. I welcome tape would be really cool.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:03am 25 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tom,

Quote  I've been pointed at another source for "Pirate Adventure" that looks like it is in much in better shape than that hideous C64 code:

"Hideous", you're not wrong there, All of those GOTOs, no spaces between commands, several RETURNs for one SUB, the same variable name for strings and integers (eg:a and a$) and using GOTO to exit from FOR NEXT loops. Not to mention no quotes enclosing strings in DATA statements (well not many).

I'm a bit torn now because I have done so much with it. I have all of the DATA loading now and the intro works. I will probably continue but probably the number of GOTOs will increase.

Cheers

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 04:52am 25 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  capsikin said  Wow, that's great. I tried some of the demos I hadn't got around to installing on my own, and it was also nice to see mine on there.

Life was missing from the zip file.

Thanks, I'll fix that for version 0.2 and also ensure that I update to the latest versions of Life and Lunar Lander from TBS.

Quote  Sound demos - having one or two interactive onces could be good.
I think my chirps-ui3.bas.zip from https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12561&PID=152962#152962 is quite fun, though the code could probably use some tidying to be more readable. Let me know if you want to use it, I'm not currently planning to work on it further.

My other sound demos are non-interactive and probably less interesting.

And there's TweakerRay's piano program from this thread https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12560&PID=152660#152660 that I was in, I'm don't think the latest version has been posted, I saw some further changes mentioned after the ones I posted.

Thanks for the offer. I'll add taking a look at both you examples and TweakerRay's to my TODO list.

I made another version of my interactive chirp program, to give it a blue background, and use 320x200 resolution so the text is bigger. Not sure I like the visual style but I didn't like the previous one that much so I wanted to try something different. Also I made the quit key work.

chirps-ui4.bas.zip

Anyone else is welcome to work on this, I don't have as much time as I'd want to work on it. I am interested in doing integration for one of the programs into the welcome tape though.

Quote  We could also make a very simple program that inputs a line and then speaks it, if you like that idea.

Same for this, with the code I posted:

thwill said  
  capsikin said   ... I was thinking something like:

intro$="Welcome to the Colour Maximite 2"
prompt$="Please enter something for me to speak, or Q to exit"
PLAY TTS intro$+" "+prompt$
PRINT intro$
10 INPUT prompt$;answer$
if answer$="Q" or answer$="q" then END
PLAY TTS answer$
GOTO 10

OK, we probably want to add the ability to adjust the PLAY TTS parameters too.

Best regards,

Tom

I'm not sure what would be a good way to let the user adjust them, if you mostly take their typing as something to speak.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:31pm 25 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,

Turbo46 said  I'm a bit torn now because I have done so much with it. I have all of the DATA loading now and the intro works. I will probably continue but probably the number of GOTOs will increase.

Sounds like you are making good progress and should stay on the path you are on.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:46am 26 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi "capsikin",

Quote  I made another version of my interactive chirp program, to give it a blue background, and use 320x200 resolution so the text is bigger. Not sure I like the visual style but I didn't like the previous one that much so I wanted to try something different. Also I made the quit key work.

chirps-ui4.bas.zip

OK, when I find time to take a look then this is the version I will look at

Quote  ... I don't have as much time as I'd want to work on it.

I know that feeling. I'm not sure that working on the "Welcome Tape" is entirely compatible with making any progress with my other interests .

Quote  I am interested in doing integration for one of the programs into the welcome tape though.

Great, what are you going to integrate? Are you going to fork the repo and send me a pull request ... or something else? Though I've been using git for ages I've never used GitHub until my work on the CMM2 so I'm interested to see how it all works for a collabarative project, does anyone have any experience?

Regarding the PLAY TTS example:

"capsikin said  
  "thwill" said  OK, we probably want to add the ability to adjust the PLAY TTS parameters too.

I'm not sure what would be a good way to let the user adjust them, if you mostly take their typing as something to speak.

Something simple like assuming input beginning with * is intended to manipulate a setting, i.e.
*phonetic on|off
*speed <value>
*pitch <value>
*mouth <value>
*throat <value>
*config - or something similar to list all the current values

Best wishes,

Tom

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 10:39pm 27 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Hi "capsikin",

Quote  I made another version of my interactive chirp program, to give it a blue background, and use 320x200 resolution so the text is bigger. Not sure I like the visual style but I didn't like the previous one that much so I wanted to try something different. Also I made the quit key work.

chirps-ui4.bas.zip

OK, when I find time to take a look then this is the version I will look at

Quote  ... I don't have as much time as I'd want to work on it.

I know that feeling. I'm not sure that working on the "Welcome Tape" is entirely compatible with making any progress with my other interests .

Quote  I am interested in doing integration for one of the programs into the welcome tape though.

Great, what are you going to integrate?

I think the speech program, it should be easier than a larger program or one I don't know.
I'd thought there might be some programs you already selected that just needed to be adapted for the tape.
... yeah, you mentioned an updated lunar lander. Last post in the thread I found is LunarLander2v7.zip from vegipete, shall I do that one?

(update - adding link: lunar lander post )

That's probably enough for me for now. You also mentioned an updated version of life though.

I wasn't sure about integrating the chirps program until you'd had a look at it.

Are you going to fork the repo and send me a pull request ... or something else?

Sure, I'll do that.
Though I've been using git for ages I've never used GitHub until my work on the CMM2 so I'm interested to see how it all works for a collabarative project, does anyone have any experience?

It's pretty new to me.

Regarding the PLAY TTS example:

"capsikin said  
  "thwill" said  OK, we probably want to add the ability to adjust the PLAY TTS parameters too.

Something simple like assuming input beginning with * is intended to manipulate a setting, i.e.
*phonetic on|off
*speed <value>
*pitch <value>
*mouth <value>
*throat <value>
*config - or something similar to list all the current values

Best wishes,

Tom

Edited 2020-08-28 09:05 by capsikin

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:16pm 27 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi "capsikin",

capsikin said  I think the speech program, it should be easier than a larger program or one I don't know.

That sounds great.

Quote  I'd thought there might be some programs you already selected that just needed to be adapted for the tape.
... yeah, you mentioned an updated lunar lander. Last post in the thread I found is LunarLander2v7.zip from vegipete, shall I do that one?

That's probably enough for me for now. You also mentioned an updated version of life though.

Thanks for offering but I think I've got both Lunar Lander and Life covered this weekend; although Life requires some thought because the latest version strives to have a mode which looks/behaves like the traditional Conway's Game of Life, but isn't because it shows dead cells for an extra generation. For readers just joining us there are two Life implementations in circulation, the one on the Welcome Tape is that by Turbo46 and TassyJim.

Quote  I wasn't sure about integrating the chirps program until you'd had a look at it.

OK, sorry for the delay, real life is challenging at the moment.

"capsikin" said  
  "thwill" said  Are you going to fork the repo and send me a pull request ... or something else?

Sure, I'll do that.

"thwill" said  Though I've been using git for ages I've never used GitHub until my work on the CMM2 so I'm interested to see how it all works for a collabarative project, does anyone have any experience?

It's pretty new to me.

Then we are learning together.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:34pm 27 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a note to say that if anyone wants to offer contributions to "The Welcome Tape" distributed under the The Unlicense then please let me know in this thread.

In an ideal world contributers would be forking off the project's main GitHub repo and sending me "pull requests" to add their content (already integrated with the menu system), but I recognise that not everyone is comfortable with git and will try to accommodate contributions via other mechanisms.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-08-28 09:34 by thwill

IanS

Posted: 07:34am 28 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Just a note to say that if anyone wants to offer contributions to "The Welcome Tape" distributed under the The Unlicense then please let me know in this thread.

In an ideal world contributers would be forking off the project's main GitHub repo and sending me "pull requests" to add their content (already integrated with the menu system), but I recognise that not everyone is comfortable with git and will try to accommodate contributions via other mechanisms.

Best wishes,

Tom

If you want a blast from the past I'm happy for you to include my mastermind and Qubic programs (see the 'games from the 1970's thread'.

Ian

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:59am 28 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

IanS said  If you want a blast from the past I'm happy for you to include my mastermind and Qubic programs (see the 'games from the 1970's thread'.

Thank you Ian, I will check them out.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:06pm 28 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi "capsikin",

"capsikin" said  I wasn't sure about integrating the chirps program until you'd had a look at it.

I've taken a look and it's promising, any chance of some additional polish to the UI, at least removing the flickering from the display, and perhaps a different mode so that input and output can fit on the same page?

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:07pm 28 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  IanS said  If you want a blast from the past I'm happy for you to include my mastermind and Qubic programs (see the 'games from the 1970's thread'.

Thank you Ian, I will check them out.

Best wishes,

Tom

Yes, they are definitely from the 1970's

If I'm honest they are showing their age a bit, but thanks for sharing.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:08pm 28 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmm ... critiquing other peoples programs does not fall in my definition of "fun" , this promises to be difficult.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 12:37am 29 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said  I think the speech program, it should be easier than a larger program or one I don't know.

That sounds great.

I've forked and modified it, the next step is for me to test my program (I was away from my computer when I did it)

For anyone who wants to have a look, the main speech program is on github as speech.bas

I've also modified menu.bas to include it

I just put it at the end of the main programs before the credits, is it's number 7, because that's the smallest change and then you can move it where you want.

I didn't include the throat and mouth parameters since I didn't know how to use them, but I've include pitch and speed, and used the default values from http://www.retrobits.net/atari/sam.shtml

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 03:01am 29 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had to fix quite a few bugs in my code, and I've added some error checking and some instructions, and made the pull request.

My fork of Welcome with the speech program added can be downloaded from GitHub at https://github.com/caspian-maclean/cmm2-welcome/archive/speech.zip

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 05:31am 29 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"capsikin" said  I wasn't sure about integrating the chirps program until you'd had a look at it.

I've taken a look and it's promising, any chance of some additional polish to the UI, at least removing the flickering from the display, and perhaps a different mode so that input and output can fit on the same page?

Best wishes,

Tom

I've added some colour. Highlighting rows with white instead of inserting ">>" at the front. Used page write/page copy to remove flicker, and changed mode to fit more on.

I think maybe I should remove the printed frequency and volume output since it's messy... done, at least for now.

I quite like the magenta highlighting for keyboard controls, it reminds me of teletext mode instructions in BBC micro games (I wonder if I could get a teletext font).  I hope it's not too dark to read for people.

It could probably use an introduction/instructions screen, and rewording of the main screen, if anyone wants to suggest some text.

Code viewable here

Downloadable here

Link for this specific version

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:33am 29 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Thwill, All,

Is there a `beta' release of the welcome tape yet? I wouldnt mind having a look at it.

Kind Regards

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Page 3 of 8    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024