Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:43 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Welcome Tape

Page 7 of 8    
PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 06:29am 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Hi folks,

Whilst I'm hoovering up all this content I do have concerns that some of the potential (and possibly purely imaginary) audience might actually be discouraged by some of the content, i.e. they might think "Oh, I could have done that to ease myself into programming the CMM2, but there is no point now that it's available on the Welcome Tape".

Any thoughts?

Tom

I think there is enough variety in any potential game idea that this wouldn't be a problem. My version of Moon Lander, will be different from yours, which in turn will be different from anybody elses.

I'm currently working on a scrolling helicopter shoot-em-up. Shoot-em-ups have been done to death already. But I'm not worried that somebody else is going to produce a better version than me. I am writing it for the love of programming - the enjoyment of creating. Something I can sit back and say "see I made that". It has all of the little quirks and foibles that I want to see in "my" game. It might not be as good as somebody elses shoot-em-up... but it will be mine.

I would hope that somebody in the future might look at it and think, "I like this bit.... but wouldn't it be cool if I did a version where the helicopter had missiles, and the enemy were more aggressive... and while we're at it, those graphics are a bif naff, I can do better - And that audio that sounds like someone strangling a cat.... and ditch the helicopter for a space ship"... and before you know it, you have a completely new game. Very little of which is actually identifiable (in code or on screen) as the original program(s).

My next game is probably going to be a sideways beat-em-up, and after that I might have a crack at the old classic Star Trek. That doesn't mean that I have laid any sort of claim on those two types of games. Quite the opposite, I think it would be great to have lots of versions of Star Trek. If somebody produced the absolutely definitive beat-em-up tomorrow, I would still go ahead and write mine. I want to write one. The CMM2 will be enable that. I don't care that somebody else has already done it.

I think what I am saying is that the programs on the Welcome Tape are more likely to inspire people to get stuck in to the programming, rather than discourage them.

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 06:32am 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  

Hi Pete, could you check out TweakerRay's music here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rWBMTu-4Q. I think this would be a great music track for Not-Defender's intro screen. What are your thoughts?

Best wishes,

Tom

Absolutely!

To be clear, I am very happy for you to do anything with the game. You don't need my approval. As far as I am concerned it is in the public domain.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:06pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, so a funny thing happened,

If you combine vegipete's new sprite demo with TweakerRay's music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rWBMTu-4Q then I think you get an absolutely amazing new splash-screen for the Welcome Tape ... so good infact that I might have to concentrate on making that happen before I incorporate any of the other new content.

@vegipete - are you OK with me replacing the old splash-screen (also by you) with your sprite demo? I'll find somewhere else to put the old splash-screen since it is still cool.

@TweakerRay - I know it's not the original plan, but can I use "Space Flight" on the splash-screen? I guess that makes you the headliner act It still leaves me needing a track for Not-Defender though.

@MauroXavier - you had indicated you might do something about a new splash-screen ... please tell me you haven't started on it. I still hope you'll produce something for elsewhere in the tape.

Feeling well chuffed with this piece of serendipity,

Tom
Edited 2020-10-05 01:07 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

TweakerRay

Posted: 03:44pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom. If I get the spash screen , I could try to make something for just that intro... you know that I have a studio here at my end ? ;-)
So then you had original music for your splash screen and you can still use this track for the defender clone game... how about that ?

If I see the splash screen I could better tell if I already have something that would fit, though I think a new composed track for that might be even better ? since I could do that to fit directly to the animation ;-)

Just my thoughts... tell me what you think. Cheers TweakerRay
http://tweakerray.bandcamp.com

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 03:48pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  OK, so a funny thing happened,

If you combine vegipete's new sprite demo with TweakerRay's music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rWBMTu-4Q then I think you get an absolutely amazing new splash-screen for the Welcome Tape ... so good infact that I might have to concentrate on making that happen before I incorporate any of the other new content.

@vegipete - are you OK with me replacing the old splash-screen (also by you) with your sprite demo? I'll find somewhere else to put the old splash-screen since it is still cool.

@TweakerRay - I know it's not the original plan, but can I use "Space Flight" on the splash-screen? I guess that makes you the headliner act It still leaves me needing a track for Not-Defender though.

@MauroXavier - you had indicated you might do something about a new splash-screen ... please tell me you haven't started on it. I still hope you'll produce something for elsewhere in the tape.

Feeling well chuffed with this piece of serendipity,

Tom

It might be a nice funky surprise for people to have a randomised Splash Screen. So each time they start they might see a different demo.

I'm thinking that this "issue" of ever better splash screens is going to keep occuring as more demo's are produced. Then you arre going to end up constantly juggling which screen to use. This would solve that issue, whilest also highlighting the capabilities of the machine.

It might even encourage an unofficial competition for people to produce new tech demo's that they have no intention of ever turning in to games?

Just a thought.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:58pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TweakerRay

There is something about the current combination that is serendipitous. Can I post a quick video on YouTube and share a link here. The sound and video are poor, I don't have the right equipment, but you will see what I mean.

Tom

TweakerRay

Posted: 04:09pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you can make the video "unlisted" and send me the link so I can see the video.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:14pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TweakerRay said  you can make the video "unlisted" and send me the link so I can see the video.

Ok, might have to be tomorrow as I need to feed and entertain the family this evening. I assume I can get contact details from your website ?

Thanks,

Tom

TweakerRay

Posted: 04:18pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

email: pub(@)tweakerray.de (of course the @ sign used correctly... i just wrote (@) instead for spam saving ;-)

but contact also on my page ;-)

meanwhile i try to do an alternative song for the defender clone...
Edited 2020-10-05 02:19 by TweakerRay

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 07:54pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  @vegipete - are you OK with me replacing the old splash-screen (also by you) with your sprite demo? I'll find somewhere else to put the old splash-screen since it is still cool.

You are assembling the awesome demo tape so you can decide what is best.

I took the static image from the sprite demo and added it to your welcome tape menu program. (Nice code, btw. I learned how to use some more of the myriad of MMBasic features.)

I also extended menu selection methods - arrow keys and inverse text selection and stuff.

Feel free to use it as you see fit.

alternate menu.zip
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:56pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  It might be a nice funky surprise for people to have a randomised Splash Screen. So each time they start they might see a different demo.

I'm thinking that this "issue" of ever better splash screens is going to keep occuring as more demo's are produced. Then you are going to end up constantly juggling which screen to use. This would solve that issue, whilest also highlighting the capabilities of the machine.

It might even encourage an unofficial competition for people to produce new tech demo's that they have no intention of ever turning in to games?

Just a thought.

It's a neat idea Pete, but I was kind of hoping that this project will have some sort of end to it, as at the moment it is eating up all my limited "play" time, I'm currently thinking I will try to draw a line under it at Christmas. As far as I'm concerned the combination of vegipete's ostensibly simple animation of the Maximite logo and TweakerRay's music really ticks all the boxes for the splash-screen in my original vision.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  You are assembling the awesome demo tape so you can decide what is best.

I took the static image from the sprite demo and added it to your welcome tape menu program. (Nice code, btw. I learned how to use some more of the myriad of MMBasic features.)

I also extended menu selection methods - arrow keys and inverse text selection and stuff.

Hi "vegipete",

Thanks for the compliments and the new code. I like your changes, but as it happens I graphically revamped the menu over the weekend myself (you can pull the WIP from here if you want: https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome/tree/develop-r0.5). I wonder if the improvements of both can somehow be combined, even better if someone else does it for me ;-)

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:11pm 04 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TweakerRay said  Hi Tom. If I get the splash screen , I could try to make something for just that intro... you know that I have a studio here at my end ? ;-)
So then you had original music for your splash screen and you can still use this track for the defender clone game... how about that ?

If I see the splash screen I could better tell if I already have something that would fit, though I think a new composed track for that might be even better ? since I could do that to fit directly to the animation ;-)

Just my thoughts... tell me what you think. Cheers TweakerRay

Hi "TweakerRay",

I've emailed you a link to a very rough video of what I did with Space Flight.

Anything you do is great as far as I'm concerned, beggars can't be choosers, and I consider myself lucky that you have offered to allow me to reuse some of your existing music. In some ways I'd rather not have a track specifically composed to go with the splash-screen as that reduces the flexibility for fiddling with the animation timing later ... I can also understand why you as an artist and probably a perfectionist might think differently

Best wishes,

Tom

P.S. The wife is complaining that I keep humming Space Flight under my breath
Edited 2020-10-05 08:23 by thwill

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 12:10am 05 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  I wonder if the improvements of both can somehow be combined, even better if someone else does it for me ;-)

Your wish is my command. Try this:
menu3.zip
Edited 2020-10-05 10:12 by vegipete
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:05am 05 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  
  thwill said  I wonder if the improvements of both can somehow be combined, even better if someone else does it for me ;-)

Your wish is my command. Try this:
menu3.zip

Lovely stuff Pete, I really appreciate you doing some of the heavy lifting for the Welcome Tape.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:58pm 01 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

It's been a struggle, but it is finally here, The CMM2 Welcome Tape release 0.5

Release 0.5:
- IMPORTANT: requires firmware 5.05.06RC12 or later.
- Added "Bouncing Balls" sprite demo
  - by Markus Mangold.
- Added "Brownian Motion" sprite demo
  - by Peter Mather.
- Added "Composition #1 (Passacaglia in 32 Bits)"
  - generative music demo by William Leue.
- Added "Ghost" sprite demo
  - by Peter Mather.
- Added "GPIO Pin Tester"
  - by "TassyJim" with edits by "BigMik".
- Added "Matrix Text"
  - by "TweakerRay".
- Added "Guardian" shoot 'em up game
  - by "PeteCotton" with music by "TweakerRay".
  - Defender-like gameplay.
- Added "Mr. Polysynth"
  - by "TweakerRay".
  - messed about with by "thwill".
- Added "Musical Scales"
  - by "TweakerRay".
- Added "Scrolling Text" demo
  - by "vegipete" and the "Sasquatch".
- Updated "Lunar Lander" to v7.4
  - by "vegipete"
  - uses fixed sprite-sheet to try and fix strange rotation and sprite colour
    bug show by firmware 5.05.06RC7.
- Updated splash-screen and menu-system
  - code by "thwill" and "vegipete", music by "TweakerRay".
  - simpler more "professional" splash screen.
  - great soundtrack.
  - prettier menu optimised for VGA and Serial display.
  - added cursor key navigation.
  - other cosmetic and organisational tweaks.
- Updated "Minesweeper" to v1.0.1
  - by William Leue.
  - fixed bug in the navigation buttons that caused the '4' key not to work for
    moving the cursor left.
  - centered the board on the screen.

Many thanks to all the contributors, especially those who did work at my request explicitly for inclusion on The Welcome Tape.

Enjoy,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:00pm 01 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... and many thanks to Peter Mather who fixed the firmware bugs encountered along the way.

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 02:34pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grats on your release! I hope that every CMM2 (and clone) vendor includes a copy with each unit sold.

-Bill

TweakerRay

Posted: 06:45pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just stunning Tom ! Stellar work. Really really beautiful. I am thankful for the inclusion and thanks to all your hard work. It really pays of... I could not stop my grin a few moments because everything is sooooo cool.

I hope a lot of people will see this, since there is so much work in it and love for this cool machine. Again: BIG THANKS and great work !!!! If you want to include my drummachine someday I would be happy but I can understand if you don't like to put more time into the project... (Still I think the little drummachine is neat, but maybe I only think that it is ;-) )

Cheers TweakerRay

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TweakerRay said  Just stunning Tom ! Stellar work. Really really beautiful. I am thankful for the inclusion and thanks to all your hard work. It really pays of... I could not stop my grin a few moments because everything is sooooo cool.

I hope a lot of people will see this, since there is so much work in it and love for this cool machine. Again: BIG THANKS and great work !!!! If you want to include my drummachine someday I would be happy but I can understand if you don't like to put more time into the project... (Still I think the little drummachine is neat, but maybe I only think that it is ;-) )

Cheers TweakerRay

Thanks TR, it wouldn't have been possible without the work of yourself and the other contributors.

Whilst I will release updates to the Welcome Tape if any bugs are found in the current contents, my plans over the next few months are to have a play with some unrelated ideas, and eventually get back to some LED flashing projects I was working on before the arrival of the CMM2 sent me off-course.

That said I am keeping a list of potential contents for a Release 0.6 should I have a renewed bout of enthusiasm and if you direct me to your most recent link/post for your drum-machine then I will add it to that list.

Thanks again,

Tom

Page 7 of 8    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024