Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:02 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Welcome Tape

Page 6 of 8    
mclout999
Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 09 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch said  
  mclout999 said  

This has always locked up my CMM2 and still does.  Has anyone had issues with this?  It just hangs and requires a power cycle.

Can you give me more specifics?  Does it draw the fern pattern on the screen?  It's basically designed to iterate the calculation "forever" unless you give it some input from the keyboard.  It should respond to I,O or Q to quit.  I should have it print the key options at the bottom of the screen.

It looks like it dose finish the fern but who can no for sure it may crap out a little early.  I have tried every key and nothing at all in every firmware version thus far.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 12 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  Is yours a fully built unit like mine.  Maybe it is dependent on which version you have.  I forgot to include that info.

Mine is a Waveshare unit, but it has resistor arrays rather than the discrete resistors used by most(?) Waveshare kits. It was one of the first units shipped by www.micromite.org.

> Colour Maximite 2
MMBasic Version 5.05.05
Copyright 2011-2020 Geoff Graham
Copyright 2016-2020 Peter Mather

> Print Mm.Info(CPUSPEED)
> Print Mm.Info(VERSION)

Which is interesting because I was under the impression I had the 480 MHz revision V of the micro-controller - C'est la vie.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 16 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankyou to the "Sasquatch" for fixes to the issue above.

Version 0.3.1:
   https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome/releases/download/r0.3.1/welcome-r0.3.1.zip

Release 0.3.1:
- This is a maintenance release, it contains the same inventory of programs
  as Release 0.3.
- Updated "Mandelbrot Explorer" to version 1.2
  - by "Sasquatch"
  - fixed responsiveness to both USB keyboard and serial console.
  - added source for pure MMBasic version of Mandelbrot subroutine to the
    bottom of the program.
  - changed hotkeys on file and help screens for better integration with the
    "Welcome Tape".
- Updated "Barnsley's Fern using CSUB"
  - by "Sasquatch"
  - fixed responsiveness to both USB keyboard and serial console.
- Changed how returning from a program to the menu is implemented,
  this should not cause any visible difference.

I'm still looking for new content:

- Simple (non copyright-infringing) games
- Simple sprite demos
- Simple sound & music demos

In a change to earlier policy if you are not happy with distributing under the UNLICENSE I am now satisfied that we can license the programs in individual directories separately. Can I recommend the Apache License, Version 2.0 or MIT License for your consideration.

Happy hacking,

Tom
Edited 2020-09-16 22:43 by thwill

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 06:26am 27 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know if it's good enough (and the actual code itslef is certainly shoddy), but I am more than happy for you to include my defender game.

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=12703
Edited 2020-09-27 16:27 by PeteCotton

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 27 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  I don't know if it's good enough (and the actual code itslef is certainly shoddy), but I am more than happy for you to include my defender game.

Hi Pete,

That's a generous offer and I am sorely tempted.

However I am trying to be extra careful with the content of the Welcome Tape because:

1. One of my guiding principles is that the Welcome Tape would be suitable for including with the hardware ... though I would not necessarily recommend this when ther is the "safer" and "simpler" option of just including a slip of paper with the CMM2 indicating where it is downloadable from - hopefully Geoff's website if/when the content and quality get to an appropriate level.

2. I am hosting everything on a public github repository. If I do get a cease & desist or takedown order for any given component then I will have to takedown the whole collection whilst I rewrite the repository's history to eliminate the offending item ... I'd rather not have the bother.

So before I can accept your offer:

- Do you own the rights to the sprites, or are they in the public domain? - e.g. the player ship looks a lot like a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper.

- How do you feel about renaming it to something like "Protector" or "Guardian" ?

- Would you be OK with someone improving the sound and adding some music (assuming I can find a volunteer) ?

- Are you OK with it being distributed under the "Unlicense" or would you prefer something else ?

Whatever the answers, thanks again for the offer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Edited 2020-09-27 22:41 by thwill

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 05:30pm 27 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  PeteCotton said  I don't know if it's good enough (and the actual code itslef is certainly shoddy), but I am more than happy for you to include my defender game.

Hi Pete,

That's a generous offer and I am sorely tempted.

However I am trying to be extra careful with the content of the Welcome Tape because:

1. One of my guiding principles is that the Welcome Tape would be suitable for including with the hardware ... though I would not necessarily recommend this when ther is the "safer" and "simpler" option of just including a slip of paper with the CMM2 indicating where it is downloadable from - hopefully Geoff's website if/when the content and quality get to an appropriate level.

2. I am hosting everything on a public github repository. If I do get a cease & desist or takedown order for any given component then I will have to takedown the whole collection whilst I rewrite the repository's history to eliminate the offending item ... I'd rather not have the bother.

So before I can accept your offer:

- Do you own the rights to the sprites, or are they in the public domain? - e.g. the player ship looks a lot like a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper.

- How do you feel about renaming it to something like "Protector" or "Guardian" ?

- Would you be OK with someone improving the sound and adding some music (assuming I can find a volunteer) ?

- Are you OK with it being distributed under the "Unlicense" or would you prefer something else ?

Whatever the answers, thanks again for the offer.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I am glad you are being diligent about these things.

Yes, I own the rights to all of the sprites. Which explains why they are so shoddy looking. Although the player ship is based on the viper, the sprite is an original bitmap created by me.

I am absolutely okay with it being renamed.

Re: Improving the sound... oh god yes please. :-D

I am also absolutely okay with it being unlicensed. I wouldn't mind a credit on the title screen, but apart from that I consider it free game for anyone to copy, hack around, rewrite. If somebody wants to take it and use as the basis for their own game, that's all good with me.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:14pm 27 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Pete. I've got a full slate already for this week's build (hopefully Wednesday), but I'll definitely look at including it in the one after that.

Best wishes,

Tom

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 12:03am 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Thanks Pete. I've got a full slate already for this week's build (hopefully Wednesday), but I'll definitely look at including it in the one after that.

Thanks Tom. There is no rush, I just wanted people to know that I am not at all protective of my work (on the CMM2). It's there for whatever purpose people see fit.

I learned a lot from writing it - and my next game is turning out to be a doozy ;-)

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:08pm 30 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's that time again ...

Version 0.4:
   https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome/releases/download/r0.4/welcome-r0.4.zip

Release 0.4:
- Added "Hunt the Wumpus"
 - by William Leue
- Added "Minesweeper"
 - by William Leue
- Added "Scott Adams' Pirate Adventure"
 - by kind permission of Scott Adams
 - ported to CMM2 by "thwill"
- Updated "Graphic Test Card" utility
 - by "TassyJim"
 - added support for Modes 10, 11 and 12.
- Updated "Lunar Lander" to v7.3
  - by "vegipete"
  - added workaround for difference in direction of IMAGE ROTATE between
    firmware 5.05.05 and 5.05.06.
- Updated "Mandelbrot Explorer" to version 1.3
  - by "Sasquatch"
  - CSUB now renders the Base image in under 1 second on a 400MHz CMM2 due to
    changes in compiler and linker/library settings.

Many thanks to the contributors,

Tom

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:49am 01 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

Firstly, congratulations on the welcome tape and re-writing the Pirate Adventure game. Not a GOTO in site. It's a pity I have downloaded a couple of walk throughs.

I have a problem running the "tape" though. If I type:

RUN "\welcome\welcome.bas"

or run it using the inbuilt file manager, it will run the splash screen and then "chain" to the menu but the menu drops immediately to the end printing "Goodbye" and exits. What am I doing wrong? I tried the previous version but it does the same.

Also Peter's three graphics demos all bomb out with the error

"Error: phi is not declared"

But it is

Running V5.05.05b11

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:28am 01 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Turbo46 said  Hi Tom,

Firstly, congratulations on the welcome tape and re-writing the Pirate Adventure game. Not a GOTO in site.

It was a bit of a slog, but fortunately I was able to re-use bits of Z-MIM for the console output and save/restore game/script code.

Quote  It's a pity I have downloaded a couple of walk throughs.

If you want a lesser challenge than porting the whole of "Pirate Adventure" then in theory this data file for "Adventureland" could be converted and should work with the same interpreter: https://github.com/ahope1/Beeb-Adventureland/blob/master/dataout.bas ... just don't download the walkthrough this time

And beyond that with a few tweaks to handle the binary .dat format and support some of the later extensions to the "language" the interpreter should also work for this whole suite of 28 text adventure games by Scott Adams and Brian Howarth:

- http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/scott-adams/games/scottfree/AdamsGames.zip
- http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/scott-adams/games/scottfree/mysterious.tar.gz

However at the moment I'm trying to resolve a licensing issue with the interpreter. Whilst I definitely have Scott's permission for its distribution and use with "Pirate Adventure" it is, depite being 95% my code, in theory a "derived work" of his own interpreter and thus covered by his (c) thus potentially limiting its legal distribution beyond that. It's a bit awkward really since there is another portable interpreter in "C" that has been available for ages and already broke this (c) so it's only my own high-standards that hold me back ... plus I'm not entirely certain who really wants to play creaky old text adventures ... and the Z-machine ones are much better because they were designed for more than the 16K that Scott Adams targeted.

Quote  I have a problem running the "tape" though. If I type:

RUN "\welcome\welcome.bas"

or run it using the inbuilt file manager, it will run the splash screen and then "chain" to the menu but the menu drops immediately to the end printing "Goodbye" and exits. What am I doing wrong? I tried the previous version but it does the same.

Also Peter's three graphics demos all bomb out with the error

"Error: phi is not declared"

But it is

Running V5.05.05b11

I'm hoping these are firmware issues and will be fixed if you upgrade to the release version of V5.05.05.

I'm 99% certain the "Phi" problem was a passing bug in the firmware due to how unquoted strings and variables in DATA statements were handled.

I'm not sure about the other issue. Day-job and kids permitting, I will take a look later to see if I can reproduce it.

Best wishes,

Tom

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:30am 02 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tom,

Updated to the latest beta and all is OK

I was wondering if your Transpiler could produce a version of the interpreter to run on the Earlier Maximites? Or even for DOS/Windows MMBasic with a little tweaking?

Thanks for those other links. I'll have a play later.

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:34am 02 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,

Turbo46 said  Updated to the latest beta and all is OK

That is good news, thanks for checking it out.

Turbo46 said  I was wondering if your Transpiler could produce a version of the interpreter to run on the Earlier Maximites? Or even for DOS/Windows MMBasic with a little tweaking?

My transpiler is more about allowing two or more versions of MMBasic to be supported from a single set of code than doing actual *magic*   ... infact you may have noticed I stopped banging the drum about it after it became apparent that it didn't seem to do the few people who were interested wanted (i.e. *magic*) and after I discovered a number of bugs that weren't originally evident because of my particular BASIC coding-style. I'm still fiddling with it for my own use, but not giving it any significant love.

That said it should be possibly to make "Pirate Adventure" run on those listed platforms and use the transpiler to then maintain a single set of code. Things that jump out as needing to change would be:

1) On the CMM1 and MonoMaximite SELECT CASE will need to change to IF, ELSEIF, ENDIF
       - in theory this could be automated from the transpiler but it's not an insignificant enhancement.

2) On the CMM1 and MonoMaximite DIR$(), and possibly other file functions, don't accept paths and only work on the current working directory so you need to CHDIR in and out of the directory in question like I did in Z-MIM.

3) In MMBasic for DOS there is no DIR$() function and you have to use the SYSTEM command and parse the result. I did look at the source for MMBasic for DOS and even talked with Geoff about adding DIR$(), it doesn't look difficult, but then became distracted so didn't pursue the matter further.

Quote  Thanks for those other links. I'll have a play later.

Enjoy,

Tom

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 02:15am 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Tom, maybe the attached is a useful little sprite demo.

CMM2-Sprite_Demo.zip

edit: For fun, put a "DO" on line 83 and a "LOOP" on line 99.
Edited 2020-10-03 12:26 by vegipete
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:15am 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good one Vegipete. I like it.  

Well explained in the comments so I may even be able to learn something from it.

Bill

TweakerRay

Posted: 07:51pm 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

here are a few small programms I have done...

The Scales programm is a little sound helper which educates about scales
and can play chordprogressions which are corresponding to your selected scale.

Then there are some Matrix like screen effect thingys I have programmed...
nothing spectacular... but maybe its nice for beginners like me to see.

Demoprogramm.zip
http://tweakerray.bandcamp.com

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:29pm 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  Hey Tom, maybe the attached is a useful little sprite demo.

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow. Looks like I will have quite a haul off new content for the next version or two.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  
  thwill said  Thanks Pete. I've got a full slate already for this week's build (hopefully Wednesday), but I'll definitely look at including it in the one after that.

Thanks Tom. There is no rush, I just wanted people to know that I am not at all protective of my work (on the CMM2). It's there for whatever purpose people see fit.

I learned a lot from writing it - and my next game is turning out to be a doozy ;-)

Hi Pete, could you check out TweakerRay's music here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rWBMTu-4Q. I think this would be a great music track for Not-Defender's intro screen. What are your thoughts?

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:34pm 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TweakerRay said  Hi Tom,

here are a few small programms I have done...

I look forward to checking them out tomorrow.

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:38pm 03 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Whilst I'm hoovering up all this content I do have concerns that some of the potential (and possibly purely imaginary) audience might actually be discouraged by some of the content, i.e. they might think "Oh, I could have done that to ease myself into programming the CMM2, but there is no point now that it's available on the Welcome Tape".

Any thoughts?

Tom
Edited 2020-10-04 07:51 by thwill

Page 6 of 8    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024