Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:31 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Russian deluxe version of the CMM2

Page 2 of 3    
elk1984

Posted: 04:53pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Looks good  

Hi Peter.  I wanted to check as I may have misunderstood something on another thread.  On the thread discussing hardware XON/XOFF for a terminal implementation, you say
  Quote  the best way to kill this project is to have multiple H/W variants

This thread appears to be discussing a hardware variants, or is a variant defined as somethinbg that introduces non-standard behaviour to usage in MM Basic?  From what I can see above, the extra ports etc. are interfaced in standard ways (i2c etc) but are effectively giving extra headers.

I think the models shown here are interesting, but I'd be cautious about writing for anything for an extra port I couldn't achieve with a bit of wiring out of the GPIO.

Thanks for all the work and for "policing" the design to ensure consistency.

elk1984

siwypiotr

Posted: 05:10pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi

This is not my post. But anyway the implementation of the mouse I have done on one of the i2c ports available on gpio, moreover the chip to handle mouse is optional, You can insert it to dip socket or not, If You dont there will be no difference to original. This is still design experiments how it will end depends only from people like You.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:34pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  This thread appears to be discussing a hardware variants, or is a variant defined as somethinbg that introduces non-standard behaviour to usage in MM Basic?  From what I can see above, the extra ports etc. are interfaced in standard ways (i2c etc) but are effectively giving extra headers.

I think the models shown here are interesting, but I'd be cautious about writing for anything for an extra port I couldn't achieve with a bit of wiring out of the GPIO.

As stated

Quote   But anyway the implementation of the mouse I have done on one of the i2c ports available on gpio,

This board with the extra chip is exactly the same as my development machine with the Hobbytronic board plugged into pins 27 and 28 of the I/O connector just a little bit tidier  

elk1984

Posted: 06:17pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  This thread appears to be discussing a hardware variants, or is a variant defined as somethinbg that introduces non-standard behaviour to usage in MM Basic?  From what I can see above, the extra ports etc. are interfaced in standard ways (i2c etc) but are effectively giving extra headers.

As stated

Quote   But anyway the implementation of the mouse I have done on one of the i2c ports available on gpio,

This board with the extra chip is exactly the same as my development machine with the Hobbytronic board plugged into pins 27 and 28 of the I/O connector just a little bit tidier  

Absolutely, all of the suggestions on the thread are looking great.  

@matherp - I wanted to check what is likely to remain supported as a CMM 2+++, and what's considered a cul-de-sac.  Looks like if it extends stock behaviour - it's OK; changing stock behaviour (like rewiring the pin out of anything) isn't.

Great work @siwypiotr.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the next version of the board and will ready to put an order in as soon as it's ready.  What are the dimensions of the new case?
Edited 2020-10-13 04:25 by elk1984

siwypiotr

Posted: 06:58pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will let everyone know that it is done. The case dimensions are: 165x255x40mm

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 01:55am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

siwypiotr said  Good morning everyone. My name is Piotr Siwy and Im creator Colour Maximite 2 Deluxe Edition. I did not expected my short video will be discussed here, Im very happy that people are interested in my work.

Here is pinout of the DB9 joystick port, I have used one of the forum users suggestions:
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic_mobile.php?TID=12282&P=3

DB9 FUNC -> GPIO
1      UP -> 35
2      DOWN ->36
3      LEFT -> 38
4      RIGHT -> 40
5      -
6      BUT A ->32
7      +5v
8      GND
9      BUT B ->33

If You have any questions please ask, I will be very happy to answer.

Someone mentioned that pin 40 can reset the computer's stored options if its connected to ground on bootup, so we were going with pin 29 instead for digital right. Not sure if that's something you might change for a future version, it would be cool to have more things that can use the same pins.

siwypiotr

Posted: 05:27am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said  
Someone mentioned that pin 40 can reset the computer's stored options if its connected to ground on bootup, so we were going with pin 29 instead for digital right. Not sure if that's something you might change for a future version, it would be cool to have more things that can use the same pins.

I do not think that this can be issue to anyone, by the way pin 29 is not 5v tolerant.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 04:50pm 18 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

siwypiotr said  
  mclout999 said  
  siwypiotr said  Yes we ship to USA. Unit is 127 USD, include the case, SD card, charging cable, fully assembled and tested. Unfortunately shipment to USA is not the cheapest 69 USD there can be also custom duties on arrival. Payment can be done via PayPal or bank transfer.

Orders can be placed via email: biuro@pslabs.pl

I like the prototyping section on this one.  He is considering adding one of the mouse options from forums to his design but if you get one now, you or he could just add the circuitry for it on the prototype section and use the SCART cut out to add the port.     he could maybe sell a small PCB and wiring instructions. I think this is the best part of the design. The rest is very nice too.

It is not a problem to add mouse support on next version. I can do it by adding additional STM microcontroller with USB support and send data to main processor using i2c or other protocol. But I do not want to create additional standard, creators of the firmware have to agree how it should be done and I will follow their standard.
have you seen this thread (https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=12954 )?  Is this an option to Hobbytroinic chip? for your design.  That would be WAY less expensive and also put a Arduino on the system with many more options.  A full NANO board can be had for less than $2, so just the chip should be much less.  Just asking.  I like the idea of a open source flexible option like this.  Thank.

siwypiotr

Posted: 01:25pm 19 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  
have you seen this thread (https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=12954 )?  Is this an option to Hobbytroinic chip? for your design.  That would be WAY less expensive and also put a Arduino on the system with many more options.  A full NANO board can be had for less than $2, so just the chip should be much less.  Just asking.  I like the idea of a open source flexible option like this.  Thank.

Hi

I have added place to install HobbyElectronic chip, there is dip socket, You just buy this chip and install it:
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-dip?keyword=mouse

Arduino is not good idea for the mouse as it will work only with PS2 mouse and they are hard to find.

If You want to have arduino for whatever reason You can use the internal header to install it (extension boards are coming soon)

I meanwhile I will also work on my own USB mouse chip when done it will be open source.
Edited 2020-10-19 23:26 by siwypiotr

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 03:08pm 19 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

siwypiotr said  
  mclout999 said  

Hi

I have added place to install HobbyElectronic chip, there is dip socket, You just buy this chip and install it:
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-dip?keyword=mouse

Arduino is not good idea for the mouse as it will work only with PS2 mouse and they are hard to find.

If You want to have arduino for whatever reason You can use the internal header to install it (extension boards are coming soon)

I meanwhile I will also work on my own USB mouse chip when done it will be open source.

Very nice.  Thanks for the feedback.  I am hoping for the arduino version because I will cost me almost nothing as I have most of the parts including several PS2 mice.  I just ordered a Nano from FleaBay for $1.50 pulse some work and I got me a mouse.  I like the idea of yours or any good open source solution as that keeps the development in the community and not out to propaiatary systems.

siwypiotr

Posted: 10:42am 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Maximite users

New version of Maximite 2 have arrived. USB mouse host controller dip socket is added as well as additional USB port for connecting mouse. Chip can be bought separately from:

https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-dip

Functionality however is not tested (my hobby chip have not arrived) however I do not see any problem for it to work.

There are still couple units left if You are interested in purchase.

elk1984

Posted: 11:21am 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

siwypiotr said  There are still couple units left if You are interested in purchase.

Hi, It looks great but my Polish isn't strong enough to get past the checkout page....

siwypiotr

Posted: 11:28am 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  
  siwypiotr said  There are still couple units left if You are interested in purchase.

Hi, It looks great but my Polish isn't strong enough to get past the checkout page....

Sorry for the web page, next week I will have some time and will make EN version.

I will send You private message and we will arrange everything

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 03:07pm 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just got the shipping notice from CircuitGizmos for my RetroMax system. I am looking forward to having two built-in Nunchuk/Controller ports, and also room to add the HobbyTronic USB Mouse interface.

-Bill

siwypiotr

Posted: 03:28pm 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

William Leue said  I just got the shipping notice from CircuitGizmos for my RetroMax system. I am looking forward to having two built-in Nunchuk/Controller ports, and also room to add the HobbyTronic USB Mouse interface.

-Bill

Hi

Pictures above are showing Maximite 2 Deluxe Edition made by PS Labs

Krall

Posted: 07:24pm 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

William Leue said  I just got the shipping notice from CircuitGizmos for my RetroMax system. I am looking forward to having two built-in Nunchuk/Controller ports, and also room to add the HobbyTronic USB Mouse interface.

-Bill

I did too!

Is the USB mouse interface just a matter of plugging in a chip?

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 08:13pm 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Krall said  
I did too!

The CircuitGizmos RetroMax is a CMM2 compatible device. Please see:

https://circuitgizmos.com/RetroMax-CGs-Color-Maximite-2-p241231864

There are two different products from two different companies that people are assuming to have the same features.
Edited 2020-10-26 06:16 by CircuitGizmos
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Krall

Posted: 08:58pm 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  
  Krall said  
I did too!

The CircuitGizmos RetroMax is a CMM2 compatible device. Please see:

https://circuitgizmos.com/RetroMax-CGs-Color-Maximite-2-p241231864

There are two different products from two different companies that people are assuming to have the same features.

It is getting a little confusing with the different variants, but I ordered teh RetroMax from you. I was just commenting on the other poster's thoughts of adding a USB mouse.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 25 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Krall said  I was just commenting on the other poster's thoughts of adding a USB mouse.

Edited 2020-10-26 07:54 by CircuitGizmos
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 03:51pm 26 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, there are multiple similar products with somewhat different feature sets. I ordered mine from CircuitGizmos because I have already purchased a standard CMM2 from them and I like their service.

I have the HobbyTronic mini-board for supporting a USB mouse. But no, there is more to it than just plugging in a chip. You have to connect the control lines to one of the I2C circuits; this involves connecting power, ground, clock, and data lines. Also there is some software work needed in order to use the mouse with an application. I have not yet dug into all the details but I will post a report if and when I get it working.

-Bill

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024