Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:12 10 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour Maximite 2 Deluxe Edition with USB mouse support

Page 8 of 9    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:32am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  For the 'turbo' mode I'm planning to use a transistor controlled by an RC network to momentarily ground pin 37 at startup. It can be enabled or disabled by a toggle switch.

Why does it need to only be momentarily grounded ? I hadn't read that and it seems to work just fine with a plain old toggle switch.

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:36am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You may want to use the pin for something else. It only needs to be grounded at startup. If the circuit is open circuit after that, it's free to use.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 12:44pm 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  You may want to use the pin for something else. It only needs to be grounded at startup. If the circuit is open circuit after that, it's free to use.

Bill

It only needs to be grounded at startup OR when you issue a "CPU RESTART".

Schlowski

Posted: 11:38am 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a short "Thank You!" to Piotr for his excellent work and super fast delivery.

I ordered 2 CMM2 Deluxe on Saturday, they got shipped early on Monday and just arrived here (in Germany). Very good package, no chance for DPD to shredder anything...

I just tested both machines and they are running perfectly fine.
Looking ahead for playing around with them in the evening.

For me as a non-solder-guy I cannot express my gratitude towards Piotr for making these machines available to me (and my brother).

Thanks
Bjoerg

siwypiotr

Posted: 12:20pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Schlowski said  Just a short "Thank You!" to Piotr for his excellent work and super fast delivery.

I ordered 2 CMM2 Deluxe on Saturday, they got shipped early on Monday and just arrived here (in Germany). Very good package, no chance for DPD to shredder anything...

I just tested both machines and they are running perfectly fine.
Looking ahead for playing around with them in the evening.

For me as a non-solder-guy I cannot express my gratitude towards Piotr for making these machines available to me (and my brother).

Thanks
Bjoerg

Thank you for kind words! Somehow I knew that person who bought 2 units have to be nice guy :)

Im so happy that You received the goods safe. I like to invest in good packaging, I send all over the world. I try to think how many idiot couriers drop my packages when they go other part of the globe, despite that I never had a claim.

If You will have any questions You can always contact me by email or chat on my web page: https://sklep.pslabs.pl/Maximite-c91

Fingerhoff

Posted: 07:25pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey there,

I was wondering if the optional scart-port on the Maximite 2 Deluxe is fully functional by now.
I came across one of Piotrs posts from October 2020 stating that there are some problems with the output, so I was wondering if that problem has been fixed and if not if there will be a fix for people who already bought his Maximite?

Scart-ports for soldering aren't that expensive and I would love to hook up my Maximite Deluxe to an old CRT :D

Fritz

siwypiotr

Posted: 07:45pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fingerhoff said  Hey there,

I was wondering if the optional scart-port on the Maximite 2 Deluxe is fully functional by now.
I came across one of Piotrs posts from October 2020 stating that there are some problems with the output, so I was wondering if that problem has been fixed and if not if there will be a fix for people who already bought his Maximite?

Scart-ports for soldering aren't that expensive and I would love to hook up my Maximite Deluxe to an old CRT :D

Fritz

Hi

Unfortunately I never made it working due to refresh rate differences (I think), this idea is scraped unfortunately.

The components are there, installed on PCB and also a space for scart socket if anyone would like to try it.

Fingerhoff

Posted: 08:41pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for responding so fast, Piotr.
OK, that's a real shame. I would have loved to see your box on a CRT. Perhaps some day ;-)

Maybe I'll solder in a scart-port for good looks anyway ;-)

siwypiotr

Posted: 08:49pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fingerhoff said  Thanks for responding so fast, Piotr.
OK, that's a real shame. I would have loved to see your box on a CRT. Perhaps some day ;-)

Maybe I'll solder in a scart-port for good looks anyway ;-)

Just in case You will, this is the connector that fits: https://www.tme.eu/pl/details/scart-17/zlacza-euro-hdmi/ninigi/

Schlowski

Posted: 10:00am 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I read somewhere here on the forum that you should not use passive headphones with the audio out but an amplifier - is this a real concern?
Would something like this be ok? (Sorry, I have no clue whatsever about all these electronic things, I'm a pure software guy...)
Amazon Speaker

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do not plug ordinary headphones or speakers into the audio out.  What you use must be amplified.  Something like the Logitech Z200.

Amazon Speaker  This will not work - it has an USB input.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

elk1984

Posted: 01:52pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  Do not plug ordinary headphones or speakers into the audio out.

Hi Geoff, is an audio cable into a capture card safe to use?

Schlowski

Posted: 02:11pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the answers.

@Geoff: The Amazon Speakers have USB Power but Audio Plugin - the description is somehow misleading but the user comments definately say it's not USB for the audio but an audio jack.
Nevertheless the Logitech speakers look a lot nicer, thanks for the pointer!

Schlowski

Posted: 05:53pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Next problem:

I have some erreanous behaviour with my USB mouse and the scroll wheel.
And I got this info from mathers:

Quote  You need to update the firmware in the HT chip with the latest from their site

I think we need the december update:

Version History

1.03   8 Dec 2020    Clear X mouse scroll value, Y mouse scroll value
                       and wheel mouse scroll value after I2C read
  1.02   10 Feb 2014   Fixed baud rate 38400. Added bootloader check
  1.01   12 Jan 2014   Bug fix recognising specific model of mouse
  1.00   29 Nov 2012   Initial Release

But I think also that I'm not able to update the frimware :-(

Any thoughts on this?

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:31pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Piotr,
1. is somehow possible to read version of HT FW through I2C?
2. what is the easiest way to update it, when needed?
3. Where are the FW files for direct for this controller?

Thanks,
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:43pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  
  Geoffg said  Do not plug ordinary headphones or speakers into the audio out.

Hi Geoff, is an audio cable into a capture card safe to use?

It depends on the input impedance of the capture card.

Problems occur when low impedance loads are connected to the CMM2.
If you get distorted audio, this usually indicates that you are overloading the audio output stage of the CMM2.

Amplifiers that are designed to connect to headphone outputs are often low impedance. I have seen them as low as 100 ohms.

Putting 4.7k resistors in series with the right and left outputs will prevent overload and allow amplifiers with low impedance to be used safely.

Amplifiers designed for 'line level' are the correct ones to use.
I found it more convenient to add the 4.7k resistors internally to my preferred speakers rather than putting them into the cable but either will do.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:52pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  Hi Piotr,
1. is somehow possible to read version of HT FW through I2C?
2. what is the easiest way to update it, when needed?
3. Where are the FW files for direct for this controller?

Thanks,

If the scroll is doing strange things, you need to update the firmware.

Link to loader program here
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v24

Link to firmware here
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-mouse

Piotr will tell you how to do the firmware update on his board. The description is somewhere in this thread...

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim!
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

Schlowski

Posted: 10:15pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for all the help and infos!

Fingerhoff

Posted: 02:06pm 07 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey guys,

I have a small problem with my new Maximite 2 Deluxe Edition and would like to hear your opinion on this.

A few days ago I purchased this Perixx USB-Keyboard on ebay as I thought it fits my Maximite quite nicely.

After plugging it in I noticed some strange behavior, though:

Lowercase characters work perfectly fine. Uppercase characters using "Shift" also work. The problem starts as soon as I hit the caps-lock key. Boom,..just a short flash from the caps-lock LED on the keyboard and the whole thing locks up. No reaction from any keypress anymore. Re-plugging doesn't help, nor does hitting the Maximite's reset-button. I have to switch off the computer completely before the keyboard starts working again. If I hit the caps-lock key again, same thing...

Consulting the manual revealed the OPTION USBKEYBOARD-command that supposedly can prevent this lock-up behavior. Unfortunately, it doesn't for me. Setting it's noLED parameter do "1" does not prevent the caps-lock LED from lighting up and more importantly the lock-up itself.

I already searched the forum but couldn't find anything useful, so I would really appreciate it, if someone could share some insights on this odd behavior.

Many thanks
Fritz

PS.: The keyboard works flawlessly on other computers runnning Linux Mint and Windows 10 btw...

Page 8 of 9    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024