Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:37 21 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour Maximite 2 Deluxe Edition with USB mouse support

Page 7 of 9    
lew247

Guru

Posted: 12:21pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
Try reading page 4 (Introduction) of the CMM2 manual

Thanks, I did see that when I was reading thought it ages ago but had totally forgotten

lew247

Guru

Posted: 12:31pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Am I correct in thinking that all the devices in the Bottom Right Panel are interchangable?
ie the same code should work on any of them in that specific family?

Edit: obviously excluding the number of pins

The reason I ask is because the CMM2 processor is the STM32H743IIT6 (400Mhz) and the STM32H743ZIT6U (480Mhz) are all listed under STM32H743x1/G

Edited 2021-01-30 22:38 by lew247

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The CMM2 runs on the STM32H743IIT6 or STM32H753IIT6 nothing else. Both can be 400MHz or 480MHz depending on the rev level of the chip. The rev levels have the same part number so you cannot choose which you get although recent purchase are more likely to be 480MHz

lew247

Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  The CMM2 runs on the STM32H743IIT6 or STM32H753IIT6 nothing else. Both can be 400MHz or 480MHz depending on the rev level of the chip. The rev levels have the same part number so you cannot choose which you get although recent purchase are more likely to be 480MHz

Thanks Peter, I (mistakenly) thought that parts in that section with the same number of pins from the same family would be interchangable

siwypiotr

Posted: 02:06pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  Has anyone with one of these Delux units able to tell me the processor part number on it please? STM32H7.....

STM32H743IIT6 480 MHz version

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:45pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A quick guide to STM32 parts looks to be along the lines of:

STM32...abcd (i.e. consider the last 4 letters/digits)

a=[ROVZIABNX] means [64/90/100/144/176/180/208/216/240] pins/balls

b=[8BCEGI] [64/128/256/512K/1M/2M] flash

c=[TKHY] LQFP/UFBGA/TFBGA/WLCSP package

d=[678] temperature range e.g. -40 to [85/105]C

So the STM32H743IIT6 is a CPU with 176 pins, 2M flash, LQFP package, -40 to 85C temp range.  For lots more see its datasheet(s).

Generally, every different CPU is different to the software, i.e. features change pins / are not available / etc.

Potentially the software can be changed to cope with the variations but every change means extra coding & extra testing and the person doing the change probably needs to own the hardware and be prepared to power it up to do the testing.

John
Edited 2021-01-31 00:48 by JohnS

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 04:35pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

siwypiotr

have you considered revising your Delux to include the now-standard PS/2 mouse interphase?  And would it be good or bad to remove the HT mouse option or have both? We now have a TUBO button option is that possible as well? Just asking.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:57pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  ... interphase ...

Sorry, I've bit my tongue for weeks, it's interFACE let's blame autocorrect ;-)

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 06:13pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just updated my CMM2ESP module (NC commander + standard Wifi, fast serial), here is small video:
ESP in CMM2 in action

Now I need to update FW to be able use Peter's JSON...
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

siwypiotr

Posted: 09:04pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  siwypiotr

have you considered revising your Delux to include the now-standard PS/2 mouse interphase?  And would it be good or bad to remove the HT mouse option or have both? We now have a TUBO button option is that possible as well? Just asking.

Yes PS2 mouse will be avaliable soon toogether with HT. I can add turbo button but does anyone need it?

Rado

Posted: 09:54pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo switch would be great. And it would be great if it could be on front panel. As well as the power switch. And power switch like the original CMM2 design. Ok, ok, I'll see myself out...

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:57pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

siwypiotr,

I have been considering buying one of your delux CMM2s but I only want one with the HT mouse chip fitted. The web site is confusing, in one place it says:
  Quote  Currently only version with build in mouse controller is available:

and in another place it says:
  Quote  Includes ESP WiFi module (mouse host controller is not included!!!)

I am not interested in the ESP. Is it available with just the HT mouse chip fitted?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

siwypiotr

Posted: 10:07pm 30 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  siwypiotr,

I have been considering buying one of your delux CMM2s but I only want one with the HT mouse chip fitted. The web site is confusing, in one place it says:
  Quote  Currently only version with build in mouse controller is available:

and in another place it says:
  Quote  Includes ESP WiFi module (mouse host controller is not included!!!)

I am not interested in the ESP. Is it available with just the HT mouse chip fitted?

Bill

Hi

Currently only fully featured model is available:
https://sklep.pslabs.pl/Colour-Maximite-2-Deluxe-Edition-USB-Host-Contr-WiFi-p150

It comes with mouse controller and ESP module. There is no possibility to buy without ESP module.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 03:20pm 31 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I can add turbo button but does anyone need it?

Yes. I plan to get one of your units after this projects get stable and more standardized. I use a momentary switch on my PS/2 mouse cable so I am not shorting pins constantly.  When I boot or use the CPU RESTART I just hold it down. Is it better to use a toggle switch?
Edited 2021-02-01 15:56 by mclout999

siwypiotr

Posted: 09:08am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  
  Quote  I can add turbo button but does anyone need it?

Yes. I plan to get one of your units after this projects get stable and more standardized. I use a momentary switch on my PS/2 mouse cable so I am not shorting pins constantly.  When I boot or use the CPU RESTART I just hold it down. Is it better to use a toggle switch?

I do not think that use of toggle switch is correct. You can forget that itis one and some people might use those pins, this can create a short.

Rado

Posted: 09:09am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The connection is needed only while restarting the device, as that's the time the loader gets to set the clock speed. Other than that, I guess those pins can be freely used.
I'm vouching for the turbo switch because of sheer nostalgia. ;)

siwypiotr

Posted: 09:17am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rado said  The connection is needed only while restarting the device, as that's the time the loader gets to set the clock speed. Other than that, I guess those pins can be freely used.
I'm vouching for the turbo switch because of sheer nostalgia. ;)

Turbo switch ok, but it has to be momentary switch in my opinion.

Rado

Posted: 09:49am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, you're the architect of your own device! :)

If I understand correctly, we have to deal with two scenarios here:

- an advanced user who wants to reuse the pin for her own projects and wants it to be free for use;
- a beginner who just wants superspeed and doesn't want to bother pushing the button every time CMM (re)starts.

Those two are conflicting interests, so what's the best way to satisfy both?

It could be the switch that would let the advanced user turn off turbo after powering on, so that the pin can be reused; the novice user would likely just leave the turbo switch turned on all the time, to avoid having to remember to keep it pushed while (re)starting the device.

Another could be a on-board jumper that can manually be set to turbo or normal operation, coupled with a momentary switch and "factory" set-up in turbo mode. The novice would not have to open the device, but will not be able to use the pin. The more advanced user could open the case to set it up in normal mode and use momentary switch to boost the device as desired, and still get the pin free for other use.

For a novice, a permanent switch with cryptic "T" and "N" options would be much easier, and it does have that PDP-ish retro click-clack feeling. The professional might like the momentary switch more.

siwypiotr

Posted: 10:16am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rado said  Well, you're the architect of your own device! :)

If I understand correctly, we have to deal with two scenarios here:

- an advanced user who wants to reuse the pin for her own projects and wants it to be free for use;
- a beginner who just wants superspeed and doesn't want to bother pushing the button every time CMM (re)starts.

Those two are conflicting interests, so what's the best way to satisfy both?

It could be the switch that would let the advanced user turn off turbo after powering on, so that the pin can be reused; the novice user would likely just leave the turbo switch turned on all the time, to avoid having to remember to keep it pushed while (re)starting the device.

Another could be a on-board jumper that can manually be set to turbo or normal operation, coupled with a momentary switch and "factory" set-up in turbo mode. The novice would not have to open the device, but will not be able to use the pin. The more advanced user could open the case to set it up in normal mode and use momentary switch to boost the device as desired, and still get the pin free for other use.

For a novice, a permanent switch with cryptic "T" and "N" options would be much easier, and it does have that PDP-ish retro click-clack feeling. The professional might like the momentary switch more.

My model is focused on power users. I can add momentary switch + jumper on the board.

If we talk about boards and users Im focused on You can check my expansion system in progress:
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?PID=163514#163514

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:29am 01 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the 'turbo' mode I'm planning to use a transistor controlled by an RC network to momentarily ground pin 37 at startup. It can be enabled or disabled by a toggle switch.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Page 7 of 9    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024