Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:26 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Electric cars a waste of money

Page 2 of 3    
Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 11:47pm 20 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to work at the research lab of the Gas And fuel Corporation in Melbourne a long time ago.

Anyhow, the lab obtained a natural gas compressor, and planned to convert a small four cylinder car to CNG to do some long term testing.
The compressor arrived on a pallet, a monstrous three stage water cooled device capable of compressing the 0.1 psi natural gas domestic line pressure, to however many thousands of psi (?) were required for the vehicle gas storage tank.

The natural gas was so cheap it was almost free, but the off peak electricity required for gas compression was by far the major cost of running this system. It certainly looked extremely attractive form the cost aspect of miles per dollar.

Suddenly the whole project was frozen, and the compressor disappeared, and the State Government FORBID us to do any more testing or research on CNG.

The reasons given were:

1/ There was no way to tax people compressing natural gas at home for road use.
2/ Insurance companies and the Fire Brigade were very concerned about fires and explosions in domestic garages around the suburbs.
3/ Untrained people transferring very high pressure flammable gasses was thought to be far too dangerous.

So we will never see this.
But the technology exists, it works, and it is very economic, at least in the Aussie states that have extremely cheap natural gas by world standards.

Natural gas burns very cleanly, it has a high octane, and it is compatible with engine lubricants and materials. At around 1.3 cents per Megajoule (million Watt seconds) it is extremely cheap power.

Just to give you an idea 1,000 Joules/sec = 1.3 Hp (at 100% efficiency).
1 Megajoule = 1.3 Hp for 1,000 seconds costs 1.3 cents

So 1Hp for 16.7 minutes costs one cent (at 100% efficiency).

Conversion would be trivial compared to scratch building an electric or hybrid vehicle. Assuming an IC engine can run at perhaps about 20% efficiency, the economics are still pretty good. Dual fuel would be possible too.

Compressing the gas to the enormous pressures required to make it practical is what costs, not the actual gas used. And it is as clean and green as anything electric.
Plus you could do it all at home yourself.Edited by Warpspeed 2011-03-22
Cheers,  Tony.

grub

Posted: 08:22pm 21 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If cng is cheap, then why not use an internal combustion engine running on low pressure cng to run the compressor to compress the cng to the higher storage tank pressures? For that matter why not use the same motor to run a generator for your house?

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 21 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why indeed ?

These natural gas generators are available right now from about 1Kva upwards.
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/natural_gas.php
Most of the very small ones are made in China, and the prices very competitive.
Here is a quick sample I found using Google:
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/natural-gas-generators.html
These generators are used in America where natural gas costs multiples of what it costs in Australia.
How about a propane/natural gas conversion kit for a small existing petrol generator ?
http://www.propane-generators.com/

For compressing natural gas for a road application, a multi stage compressor, perhaps something like a scuba tank compressor might be practical? These are not cheap, even secondhand, but it would be the most expensive part of the system, and you might fluke a really good deal on one.
I have not tried any of this myself (yet), but all the hardware is already out there, and more or less readily available.

To me at least, a dual fuel petrol/CNG vehicle looks a lot easier to do, more practical, and economically promising than a straight electric vehicle.

Edited by Warpspeed 2011-03-23
Cheers,  Tony.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:52pm 21 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

Problem with natural gas in QLD is getting a pipe long enough to go to Canberra.

I like the concept but no access to NG where I live is the problem, you city guys should look at it seriously, however there are some safety issues with the process that may preclude the use by all and sundry.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 11:21pm 21 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Bob, access to clean cheap natural gas is not yet available for everyone, unfortunately.
But for the lucky few, it might be well worth thinking about.

My first step will probably be the purchase of a small natural gas standby generator for suburban Melbourne.

As for compressed natural gas, safety concerns for sure, and also the circumvention of state road tax is going to become a problem if/when the bureaucrats eventually discover people are actually running vehicles on home made CNG.

To an untrained observer, a CNG installation may not look all that different to an LPG installation. But advertising the fact you are doing this over the internet may not be a good idea.

That does not effect me, because it is something I have never done, or know of anyone doing.
I just wish to suggest some possible ideas for further study among the great minds here.
Cheers,  Tony.

viatu3

Posted: 09:36am 29 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have never used an electric car yet, but shouldn't it be better for environment and this is the most important reason to buy an electric car? Well I think the point you've mentioned, that it needs much power, is true....
Sometimes I'm not sure what I should believe. Everybody says different things and it confuses me.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:59am 29 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Viatu

An electric car is a good town runabout but to date they lack range, the hybrid is more practical but still reliant on fossil fuel so not a complete solution.

The other issue is how the electric current is generated to charge the electric car, if it comes from the grid coal fired or nuke power the problem isn't solved it just shifts pollution from one place to another, if access is to Hydro or solar power it goes a long way down the sustainability road, the other issue is pollution generated making the batteries and later recycling them. And still we have limited range on pure electric cars limiting their use outside the 50 mile radius from home.

As mentioned earlier in this thread CNG has potential as is it low polluting and reasonable priced but still a fossil fuel.

Future public transport

Share a ride to work.

Reduces carbon emission per capita, and if it is an electric bike charged from solar panels, it is a clean solution, but do we want that?

Not everyone's solution but a very interesting and challenging field.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

tomqu7

Posted: 05:56pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this and that
if u are able to charge up your car from your solar garage the govt will not get its petrol exise. The govt is going to start exising lpg

I have to do do some thing as I drive many kms
coal is making a come back as briquettes
they are sold in bags in melbourne
u put them into a heater and burn them for heating

tomqu7

Posted: 05:58pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dwyer said   Hi Members
News for you to read and now you make your own judgement about Electric cars a waste of money

o

Electric cars a waste of money
· By Karla Pincott

· 25 June 2010

·
While a fan of fuel-cell vehicles like the Clarity (above), Honda's Thomas Brachmann doesn’t have much time for electric cars.
It’s a waste of money to buy an electric car in Australia, says Honda technology expert Thomas Brachmann.
As the senior engineer in the Honda's European research and development facility, Brachmann is a fan of fuel cell vehicles like the Honda Clarity, but he doesn’t have much time for battery-electric cars like the Mitsubishi iMiEV and Nissan Leaf.
Especially for a hot climate like ours, which presents a lose-lose situation because heat undermines a battery’s ability to take on full charge. And to keep it cool, you have to draw on its reserves of that charge – and of range.
"It’s first of all a waste of money to buy an electric car, because the hotter it is, the more auxiliaries you have – the airconditioning, everything is running on electricity," Brachmann says. "And the more you demand, the more is consumed, and the less range you have. "For one specific electric vehicle already on the market and maybe also sold in France, ranges have been measured in the one car between 37 and 100km, depending on conditions."
Brachmann thinks the heat poses a severe limitation for the vehicles in Australia, especially in our summer months – or for anybody who has to park outside. "The optimum temperature range the battery would most like to live in is between 10 and 35-40 degrees maximum," he says. Anything outside that, and you start losing efficiency in charging – or have to chew into the charge to aircondition the battery’s surroundings.
"If you park your car in an area where the battery can heat up, then you have to take measures to protect the battery," Brachmann says. "Either it has to be under cover, or the system has temperature sensors and initiates its own cooling – but draws on its power reserve to do so." He says that means either a roof of solar cells, or having to stay plugged into a charging source while parked so a cooling system can keep the battery in shape.
Brachmann says our climate will also make any visions of quick-charging infrastructure equally difficult. "For the quick-charging systems one has to also understand that quick-charging requires quite temperate battery," he says. "The temperature of the battery should not be too high, otherwise it does not pick up any of the additional energy from the grid – or quick-charging turns out to be slow-charging. There are ideas existing that you drive to the next filling station where you can recharge your car on fast-fill, go for a coffee (while you wait) and then you can continue for another 100km. But it will happen that one coffee will become three coffees or four or five..."
And Brachmann says the alternative 'refueling' system for battery-electric cars – the battery swapping station – is not a convenient solution either. "Battery-swapping infrastructure is not so easy because then all carmakers have to agree on one battery format," he says. "Or a dealership is providing the swapping and that requires quick connectors – half an hour is the maximum we think a customer would be happy with."
But he says most of the batteries being designed for battery-electric cars will take much longer than that to swap over. "You can have a fast-swap system if you have a battery that requires a cooling circuit – if it is air-cooled – this would not be a problem. But none of the energy density batteries (planned for future electric vehicles) will be air-cooled."

All the best from Dwyer

praxidice

Posted: 07:23pm 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  
As for compressed natural gas, safety concerns for sure, and also the circumvention of state road tax is going to become a problem if/when the bureaucrats eventually discover people are actually running vehicles on home made CNG.

To an untrained observer, a CNG installation may not look all that different to an LPG installation. But advertising the fact you are doing this over the internet may not be a good idea.

Way back in the mists of time, Brisbane Gas Company used to do CNG conversions, however that mob has been part of AGL for yonks &as far as I'm aware, AGL doesn't want to know about private CNG installations these days. Someone however is setting up most of the Brisbane Council buses to run CNG and has been for many years. I recall seeing a CNG Gemini van at a car show once, apparently it took HOURS to refuel, and that may well be part of the reason why we don't see any mention of the system now & another issue is the limited range. Dunno exactly whats the full story with refuelling the buses but there have been a few interesting incidents reportedly due to over-filling the roof-mounted tanks. According to some drivers I queried, the CNG buses only have 150 - 180k range despite the tribe of tanks fitted.

praxidice

Posted: 07:38pm 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said  
The smart diesel dual fuel engine with HHO injection would run rings around the efficiency of any of the hybrid cars in the terms of cost per Klm.

'Efficiency' isn't necessarily the same thing to different people or in different situations. For example, I've been having a running battle with philistines who believe the General Disaster male bovine excreta about PV system owners being responsible for electricity price escalation. Philistine wants all PV systems to be in solar farms for 'efficiency', however that would do SFA for electricity prices, any saving would be soaked up by the bottom-feeding bloodsucking parasites we call 'politicians'. Consequently, personal PV systems, while maybe not seen quite as 'efficient' by the great unwashed, are certainly more efficient in terms of my personal electricity bill which has been considerably negative for years. Same with any form of fossil fuelled transport ... they still support oil barons and middle-east terrorism. Personally I believe ay-rabs would probably be nice people if they had no money and spent their time riding (and perhaps doing other unmentionable things with) camels in the desert. On the other hand, PV generated electricity is cheaper than chips and doesn't enrich either oil barons or middle-east terrorists, consequently its infinitely more efficient in terms of its effect on my bank balance. Furthermore, its only a matter of time before some enterprising crook decides to make the most of the peak oil issue (totally regardless of whether its factual or otherwise). PV generated electrons are unlikely to experience any massive price escalation since nobody yet has figured a way to stick barcodes or other identifying marks on something so small.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:51pm 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Recharging a battery can take many hours as well.

Its only a problem if you plan to keep the vehicle on the road 24 hours per day, or regularly do very long trips away from home.

If your CNG compressor runs at night, and refills the tank over a few hours, and you only plan on short suburban trips, say to work and back each day, Saturday morning shopping, social visits and nights out, that should not be a problem for a typical suburban vehicle.

Buses, like fork lifts, scissor lifts, street sweepers, garbage trucks, and many other commercial applications generally only need to last one eight hour work shift.
They then get a recharge/refill that could take eight or sixteen hours to the next start of shift.

There are a great many applications where an eight/sixteen hour refill is no inconvenience at all.
Also quite a few applications where anything more than a very few minutes to refill would be totally impractical.
Cheers,  Tony.

praxidice

Posted: 08:21pm 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said   Recharging a battery can take many hours as well.

Its only a problem if you plan to keep the vehicle on the road 24 hours per day, or regularly do very long trips away from home.

True, whats probably more difficult to work around is finding both the parts and someone qualified to give the official seal of approval necessary to register / insure the converted vehicle. There is a well-established protocol for LPG vehicles but as far as I'm aware, none whatever for CNG outside the Brisbane Council system. Whilst it 'may' be possible to do a conversion outside 'the system', I wouldn't want to run the risk of an uninsurable zillion dollar lawsuit if / when something goes wrong (as has been the case with a few buses). Gas fires aren't nice things when they get out of control. Dunno what happens to the ex-Brisbane Council buses when they are sold off, I can only assume they are either scrapped or converted back to diesel. The latter is more likely as a bus cum motorhome wouldn't be much use with 150k range even if one could find a CNG refuelling station.

domwild
Guru

Posted: 01:13pm 19 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As Bob said solar car park charging was already in action as seen on "Who killed the electric car?". And that was California with its comparable heat. So heat is not too much of a problem.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

domwild
Guru

Posted: 01:21pm 19 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I remember electric delivery vans of the post office running silently at night through the city streets; definitely on short runs only.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:58pm 19 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom

I still remember the electric vans used for deliveries around the city in the 1950's and for short haul they worked well but I was told by a retired engineer who maintained them that the weight of the batteries exceeded the payload, not very efficient at all but it can be done. He also mentioned that they where not used in hilly areas due to power loading and lack of regenerative braking. The Lipo batteries have gone a long way to solve the weight problem, but range is only limited still, and the cost of the batteries at the moment is prohibitive at the moment. New developments may help the cost problem in the future.

As mentioned earlier in the thread the issue of taxing the use will become an issue for government, at the moment they skin us all at the bowser,easy, but with electric power alternate energy it will be much harder for them to put their knife into our wallet. If enough electric cars get going they will find a way no doubt.

I read an article last year of a guy in Europe making a 2 HP electric trike as a town shopping trolley, range of 100 K at 60 KLH using hub motors and 48 volt Lipo bike batteries, payload 50 KG with 2 passengers, it had several flexible PV cells to supply ancillary systems, a built in charger and a small petrol alternator for emergency charging.

I think we will see more of this concept in the future as oil prices rise and parking becomes more of a hassel in the cities for conventional cars. I cannot find the article anymore but from memory it cost $5 to 6 K as a kit. Something to think about.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:07am 20 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The animation:

The possible future if tests are reliable:

Source here .

I looked for a photo with an old electric car used by Romanian Mail for loading/unloading the trains. No success yet... maybe I will make a photo on a first occasion.
Edited by vasi 2014-06-21
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:10am 20 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Edit: Sorry, is not what I thought it is, it is a Steyr Puch Haflinger, but looks very much like the electric car we use for postal transportation inside train stations...

Edited by vasi 2014-06-21
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 07:01am 27 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would like this BMW i3 more than a Tesla.

Beyound Arduino Lang

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:45pm 15 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Flow Cells are the future choice for EV's.

If you have not seen this creation then visit this web site, the nanoFLOWCELL will make an Impression. Sport car powered by Salts water

Cheers ---------Roe
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024