Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:38 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMBasic for DOS Beta 6

Page 4 of 5    
Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 03:21pm 21 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

flip said  Peter hasn't responded but I think he means the title-bar of the Console Window

Thanks Phil, that makes sense. I will fix it.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:14pm 21 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I have used this to remotely control a Micromite and it works well. The only hiccup is that a few times I needed to access the port using Tera Term first - I will be interested on the experience of others.

I haven't been able to reproduce the error.
I tried rebooting windows with the USB adapter left plugged in and with it plugged in after rebooting.
The serial port code worked first time with both scenarios.

Windows 10 with a Silicon Labs adapter.

I will try with a microbridge next.

Jim
Edit:
No problems talking to a MMX so have trouble blaming the adapter.
The code I use for testing is
Open "COM6: baud=38400" As #5
Print #5, "print mm.ver"
Pause 100
dat$ = Input$(20, #5)
Print dat$
Close #5

You need the pause 100

JimEdited by TassyJim 2017-08-23
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

flip

Posted: 06:18pm 21 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim! I had thought you'd put some 'magic' in your code...(and was fishing for it ...but as usual I was off-track - it's finally clicked...

When I installed MMEDIT, I had to get my son's permission(!) as he owned the laptop at the time. I have since taken it over from him - at the great expense of providing him a better one ...but I digress...

When I run MMBasic for DOS, it runs as my non-Admin user.

When I run MMEDIT (or any program installed as Admin which uses a serial port) as a non-Admin user it seems to permanently set a flip-flop to allow the serial port to work correctly there-afterwards

So it's a rights issue over the serial ports (for me at least)...hope this helps someone...

May need to go in the 'MMBasic technical reference manual'...which leads me to another point...
IF no-one is doing this AND Geoff agrees, I would like (with Geoff's permission /content vet of course) to help compile a public list of features/specs/limitations/design decisions/alternative ways of doing things with examples...(i.e. stuff that would bloat the manual, but is helpful for those head-banging moments)..I was even thinking of a small MMBasic library program to use keywords to drive a large reference database sitting on an SD card or DOS file...may regret this offer but right now it seems like an exciting challenge.

Regards,
PhilEdited by flip 2017-08-23

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 07:13pm 21 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

flip said  IF no-one is doing this AND Geoff agrees, I would like to help compile a public list of features/specs/limitations/design decisions/alternative ways of doing things with examples.

Go for it Phil.
It does sound like a big job.

Geoff

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 21 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Attached is Beta 7 of the DOS version of MMBasic.
2017-08-22_072750_DOS_MMBasic_5.04.05_Beta_7.zip

This fixes all reported issues:
- The EOF() and LOF() functions now work as expected on serial ports.
- The COLOUR command is reinstated and works as it should.
- MM.HRES and MM.VRES now report the correct values.
- The EDIT, WEDIT, SAVE and LIST commands no longer "eat" empty lines.
- The NEW command will cause the current program file name to be "forgotten" .
- The EDIT command will prompt for a file name when saving if there is not a current file.
- The file name in the title bar of the console windows is now updated correctly.

I tried sending the text output to stdout but it got too complicated. The way MMBasic is implemented (with EDIT, the command prompt, etc) it is not a straight scripting language and does not lend itself to redirecting the input or output. I will however have another shot at it later as it would be a handy feature.

Another "feature" that I have left for later is using a Windows file selector dialog box for some functions.

Finally, I have discovered that Windows is not buffering the serial output (it does buffer input). Therefore LOF() for serial output will always return zero. Buffered output can be implemented but the way that Windows does it is quite complicated and I'm not sure that it is worth the issues that it brings.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2017-08-23

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 23 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi geoff,
you've produced another great accomplishment

there does seem to be a small problem with the files command:
DOS MMBasic Ver 5.04.05 Beta 7
Copyright 2011-2017 Geoff Graham

> files "*.z"
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 3E75-E877

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\admin
firmware\DOS version

File Not Found
Error: Error running DIR
>

i would have thought finding no files should not generate an error message.

i've been doing quite a bit of experimenting with using just stdin and stdout, microsoft certainly don't make it easy to do anything interactive without having to go to the console's win32 API. the only elegant solution i've had much success with is creating a separate thread to handle stdin. see the attached example (delphi/pascal source and a compiled .exe) it just echos keypresses back, while at the same time maintaining a 'spinning' cursor:
2017-08-24_080027_test_with_thread.zip
after a character is read, the 2nd thread sits in a tight loop until the main thread uses the character (it really should be placed in a queue), then blocks at the next read from stdin until a key is pressed. meanwhile, the main thread freely animates the cursor.

just an idea: have you though of a commandline switch, such as "/C" to switch between interactive and console modes? if /C is specified then the editor would be disabled, along with any calls to the console API, leaving just standard reads and writes to deal with. this may make the whole process much easier to achieve.

cheers,
rob :-)

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:18am 24 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  just an idea: have you though of a commandline switch, such as "/C" to switch between interactive and console modes? if /C is specified then the editor would be disabled, along with any calls to the console API, leaving just standard reads and writes to deal with. this may make the whole process much easier to achieve.

That sounds quite workable. Error messages could go to stderr.

Thanks, I will explore in that direction.

flip

Posted: 06:05pm 24 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for your great work on this.

Just one small issue, on big screens, MM.VRES and MM.HRES report correctly up to 255 but then roll around to 0.

Also on this theme, there is a POS command for horizontal position (which does work over 255). Is there or if not would it be easy to provide a function that returns vertical position? It would be nice to save and restore current screen position during a subroutine call.

EDIT Another request (may apply to uM?) Can the String$ function be altered to work with any integer 0-255? It currently reports Error: xxx is invalid (valid is 32 to 126) When using an Integer as the second parameter (works fine with a string constant as second parameter)
So it can work with data other than Ascii strings.
> ? String$(10,255)
Error: 255 is invalid (valid is 32 to 126)
> ? String$(10,Chr$(255))

> ? String$(10,65)
AAAAAAAAAA
>

Regards,
PhilEdited by flip 2017-08-26

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 05:04pm 25 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are you talking about the DOS version? That would be a very big screen that is more than 255 characters wide.

I will look into a function that returns the current cursor position.

Thanks for the note on STRING$() I will fix it in the next version.

Geoff

darthmite

Posted: 12:59am 27 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

flip said  

EDIT Another request (may apply to uM?) Can the String$ function be altered to work with any integer 0-255? It currently reports Error: xxx is invalid (valid is 32 to 126) When using an Integer as the second parameter (works fine with a string constant as second parameter)
So it can work with data other than Ascii strings.
> ? String$(10,255)
Error: 255 is invalid (valid is 32 to 126)
>

Regards,
Phil

Hi Phil ,
note that character table (32 to 126) are the ascii code we normaky use , over 126 (127 to 255) they are special charracters (1 to 31 too),
chr$(under 32 and over 126) clean probably the wrong values (i don't have look the source since ages ;) )
Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

flip

Posted: 01:05pm 28 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
Yes, I tried it on a 4k monitor (ACER UHD4K2K great for programming at $499)- so with standard Windows font (12 pixels wide) it happens.

Also, it could be useful if anyone wants to go completely nuts and use small characters (e.g. 4x6) to generate individually coloured pixels (960x360 on UHD)

Hi Darthmite,
Chr$(0) thru Chr$(255) are all valid string character values. I just think of STRING type as a list of 8-bit bytes, [with a length byte (0-255) in front]...not necessarily used for Ascii purposes...the less restrictions, the more opportunities to create! (or go nuts )

Regards,
Phil
Edited by flip 2017-08-29

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:47am 29 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

flip said  
Chr$(0) thru Chr$(255) are all valid string character values. I just think of STRING type as a list of 8-bit bytes, [with a length byte (0-255) in front]...not necessarily used for Ascii purposes.

+1

darthmite

Posted: 10:07am 29 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
  flip said  
Chr$(0) thru Chr$(255) are all valid string character values. I just think of STRING type as a list of 8-bit bytes, [with a length byte (0-255) in front]...not necessarily used for Ascii purposes.

+1

And another +1
Is just that the character table on Maximite dont go that far.
Here the example for US Layout (on stm32 version) ... The 1st generation of PIC32 was not like the one we got now , Geoff probably try to limit the use of the flash to what really was needed at this time

// US Layout (QWERTY)
{
0, 0, 0, 0, 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', // 0- 9
'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', // 10- 19
'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z', // 20- 29
'1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', '0', // 30- 39
ENTER, ESC, BKSP, TAB, ' ', '-', '=', '[', ']', '\\', // 40- 49
0, ';', '\'', 0, ',', '.', '/', 0, F1, F2, // 50- 59
F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, // 60- 69
0, 0, 0, INSERT, HOME, PUP, DEL, END, PDOWN, RIGHT, // 70- 79
LEFT, DOWN, UP, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // 80- 89
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // 90- 99
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // 100-109
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // 110-119
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 // 120-129
},

Cheers.

Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

Peter63

Posted: 11:33am 01 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

2017-09-01_213051_MMBasic_DOS_5_4_Quick_Guide.zip

I wrote this, a summary of commands and fuctions.
Peter

flip

Posted: 05:44pm 06 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
Just a little bug when using calculation in the first parameter of the INPUT$ command:
Open "~tmp.txt" For Output As #1
Print #1, "Hellothereeveryone"
Close #1
strt=6 : fnsh=11 : lngth=fnsh-strt

Open "~tmp.txt" For Random As #1
Seek #1, strt
Print Input$(lngth, #1)
'(prints: there)
Seek #1, strt
Print Input$(fnsh-strt, #1)
Error: Internal fault (sorry)
Regards Phil

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 06 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good one Phil, your test program was a huge help in finding it - thanks.

I will fix it in the next release.

Geoff

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 06 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said   there does seem to be a small problem with the files command

Thanks Rob, that one will be fixed in the next release also.

Geoff

flip

Posted: 12:59pm 13 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff, all,
Still having great fun with this.
1. Geoff wrote:
  Quote  I will look into a function that returns the current cursor position
I won't need any more in my programs, so leave it to you whether to pursue. (anyone else who needs it please leap in!!)
2. A really minor thing is that the Windows title bar doesn't restore when returning from a 'System' command.(can be seen in Builder test program attached). This is really only a 'nice-to-have'.[EDIT 15/9: There is the SETTITLE command which gives us more control anyway - I forgot about this - Geoff has the bases covered ]
3. Attached is a Builder demo as part of Character-based GUI/IDE I'm working on. It generates and runs a HELLO.BAS program then returns. Hope it inspires others with what is possible !
2017-09-13_224727_BuilderH.zip
EDIT: Thought about it driving to work and realised this (very basic Builder version)will rely on MMBASIC.EXE being the default program that Windows will run when presented with a '.BAS' file. In all other respects it will build, and you will be able to run the produced HELLO.BAS program separately.

EDIT2: Sorry I was too quick...attached version BuilderI.BAS 2017-09-14_053329_BuilderI.zip should work correctly if MMBASIC.EXE is placed in same directory as the unzipped BuilderI attached OR MMBASIC.EXE is in your Windows PATH environment variable.
Regards,
PhilEdited by flip 2017-09-15

flip

Posted: 06:46pm 18 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
This bug is very tiny, a SUB or FUNCTION in first line is not recognised by the interpreter. Threw me for a little while when testing updates to my app builder program. Super easy to work-around seems to be just put anything, apostrophe, empty line, whatever on first line of the program.
> LIST
Sub SayHelloTo(name$)
Print "Hello, ";name$
End Sub
SayHelloTo "Al"
> RUN
[4] SayHelloTo "Al"
Error: Unknown command
>

Regards,
Phil

Peter63

Posted: 09:33pm 18 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoffg, all,

I missed a way to send in a default string to input -command?

s$="default string"
input"Default string to be edit or not";s$
print s$

Any trix or fix?

Page 4 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024