Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:58 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite: driving a small speaker

Page 11 of 14    
mozzie

Posted: 03:25am 06 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Phil,
Please don't take offence as I think we are on the same track here, but there are still a couple of problems to be overcome:

The MONO option inverts the audio signal but the PWM carrier is still in phase, a single filter across the outputs will only work (I think) if the carrier is out of phase.

There are still anomalies (breaks?) in the play sound function that come straight through the filter (either type), these are attenuated by a stereo volume control but not a mono control across the inputs. This is in the original PAM8302 circuit posted but now not recommended for this reason, and is more pronounced as the volume is reduced. These are evident on change of note etc and I don't think they can be eliminated.

Testing with the original Poke Short &h40050000,&h09 showed a lot of these problems as well.

My own interest in this is for sound effects generally and "steam sound" more specifically, just ideas at the moment but the minimum amount of components possible could be an advantage if thinking small scale.
The buffered PWM speaker drive is perhaps still an option.
And yes these are available pre-built etc but where is the fun / challenge in that?
And yes, nearly 50 and back tinkering with kettles on wheels...

Regards,
Lyle.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 07:59am 06 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No offence taken, I simply assumed the PWM carrier is inverted not the sound. That seemed the simplest way to do it. My testing was with PLAY TONE and POKE without an amp as my toybox has no TDA2822.

mozzie

Posted: 03:08pm 07 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day,
Using this circuit here for sound effects etc and creates quite a bit of noise.
Posting this as hopefully Tom and others may be able to use it as a basis for driving a mono speaker from the Pico.

PAM8302A version is differential and Peters MONO function in play sound means almost no noise when idle.  
Once again component values can be fiddled with to change filter settings and gain:
R3+C4 / R5+C7 are low pass filter for PWM carrier supression, change as desired or add LC circuit.
C3+VolA / C6+VolB High Pass and AC coupling (C3 / C6 optional but recommended)
C5+R4 / C8+R6 are High Pass and AC coupling to PAM Chip
R4 / R6 set PAM8302A gain as per data sheet, RTFM
Keep the AudioA / AudioB paths the same, differences will cause balance (noise) problems.

Will also work with Play tone and Poke &h40050000,&h09 for same frequency both channels or use different frequencies for odd effects, gain will need to be lowered.
PAM8302A Datasheet from Element14 is recommended, others are missing an important f in gain calculation.

Have a good (long) weekend.  
Lyle.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:05pm 08 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mozzie said  Posting this as hopefully Tom and others may be able to use it as a basis for driving a mono speaker from the Pico.

Thanks Lyle, I look forward to trying it out when the bits arrive.

Enjoy your Easter weekend,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:46pm 08 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mossie, Is it possible to reduce the component count of that circuit?

- Remove C3 and C6 because you are AC coupling the output of the pot, I don't think it is also necessary to AC couple the input as well.

- Remove R4 and R6. I presume that they are there to attenuate the signal to the PAM. Why not increase the value of the 1k3 filter resistors to attenuate the signal at that point? With appropriate changes to the filter capacitors of course.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:56am 09 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

R4 and R6 set the gain, it's not simple attenuation. They are necessary even though they don't look it. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 07:45am 09 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick, that will teach me to go off half cocked (maybe). I still have not looked at the data sheet but as I do understand how differential amplifiers work that sounds right. I would have expected the gain to be set after the differential input stage though.

Bill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:32am 09 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It caught me out too, when I was looking at the LM4871.  :)
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:22pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Finally found time to build @mozzie's last posted circuit (but with only one speaker) and this, plus Peter's improvements to the firmware (especially the Mono flag to PLAY SOUND), plus a marginally better speaker, plus switching to triangular waveform, plus switching up an octave have produced a satisfactory result - Thank you!!!

It draws ~110 mA when running, which on a 2500 mAh battery gives much more battery life than it needs.

The only problem I had was with the little potentiometer on the PAM8302A, none of my screwdrivers would bite (and I suspect it should be a plastic "screwdriver" anyway) and I ended up using needle nose pliers which wasn't great. Can anyone tell me what tool I'm supposed to use ?

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:35pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't remember what I used now. Probably one of those little screwdrivers used for tightening the screws in glasses.
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:50pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I can't remember what I used now. Probably one of those little screwdrivers used for tightening the screws in glasses.

They would be too small. I have very small screwdrivers ... and glasses.

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:56pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you have a surplus of those white pointers that come with displays then just sand one down to make a suitable screwdriver

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:56pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have various little screwdrivers - that's why I can't remember what I used on that sort of pot. :)  I also have special trimming tools. I don't think I have any of those pots at present so I can't try one.
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:09pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks guys, after some digging I found a 6 pronged non-pointy thing in my cheap phone "repair" kit, which after I overcame my distaste for poking something metal into the pot seemed to do the job ... even though it obviously expects a 4 prong thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I may still shave down a screen stylus though, I have at least 3 knocking about.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2023-05-08 02:24 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:56pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter, regarding your photo. Why have you mounted a potentiometer onto the top of a Crème Brulé? Can we run MMBasic on cold desserts now ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2023-05-08 03:57 by thwill

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:28pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  it obviously expects a 4 prong thing

Isn't that a small philips head screwdriver AKA cross head? Any self respecting jewellers screw driver set should have one to suit. I'm surprised that your phone repair kit doesn't. Knitting needles and crochet hooks can be filed down too.

RF tuning tools are handy too.

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:01pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Isn't that a small philips head screwdriver AKA cross head?

That's what it looks like, but it's shallow and the "cut" is not terribly well defined. I have a large selection of small Philips screwdrivers and couldn't get one to bite ... perhaps I was just being more than usually incompetent, let's not worry about it.

Best wishes,

Tom

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:45pm 07 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To use a Philips head driver, you probably have to grind the tip off.
I prefer plastic flat blades but sometimes it needs metal get get it moving.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:15am 09 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe a bit late in the game,but what about this ....

small speaker + amplifier
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:43am 09 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Maybe a bit late in the game,but what about this ....

small speaker + amplifier

Very pretty, but having tested it satisfactorily and now soldered it to the Mk 2 prototype I think I'm basically* satisfied with what @mozzie proposed.

* On @Turbo46's suggestion I've removed/shorted C3 and C6 and replaced the stereo pot with a single 50K pot (as a variable resistor) between IN+ and IN-, this seems to be how the tiny 10K pot (set to 0 for my build) on the module works - tell me I'm wrong.

Can someone explain what is going on with /SD. It's "shut down" and the bar means it is active low (?), and the module contains a 10K pull-up to VCC so if left disconnected it won't do anything will it ? @mozzie's schematic adds a 10K pull-down so if there is no signal from the Pico GPIO line then ... ?

Best wishes,

Tom

Page 11 of 14    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024