Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:38 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : General purpose I2C IO module

Page 5 of 6    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:45pm 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nah... 20mA current loop so that you can put a load of them on the same loop as your teleprinter. :)  HC-12 is *far* too new for me. lol

Apparently you can split those resistors over the loop and it's recommended that you split them over two places as a minimum, using 1k at both ends of the loop. It makes sure that the data lines stay balanced, even if nodes are removed. I've not seen anything about using such high values - the idea is to get about 200mV across the terminator.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 08:13pm 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that makes sense (not the teleprinter part   )

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

flasherror

Posted: 01:02am 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  What's next an HC-12 Module?  

Seconding this. This might be easy to implement as not much board space required (module can hang offboard so only a 5-pin 0.1" connector required). Connections: 5V, GND, TX, RX, and optionally any available I/O for SET pin control (reuse RS485 DE pin as SET. Tradeoff is RS485 and HC12 both can't be used together so either one or the other)

I did this for HC12 on an Arduino:

SCK is any I/O but can be the RS485 DE pin (wouldn't use it as RS485 enable but treat it as a general output and manually toggle in code if needed).
The diode is for reducing Vcc to module if often transmitting but might not be needed if only occasionally transmitting.

No level conversion needed since micromite Pin 21(TX)/22(RX) are 5v tolerant.
Edited 2022-01-15 11:34 by flasherror

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:37am 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm serious about keeping the modules in the 90x70x28 boxes and having them working with the SSD1963 adapter. They are a family - anything else is something different. :)

There *may* be problems with the antenna in the module box. It would have to be external as you can't get it away from the PCB.

I wouldn't be happy with the HC12 on the SSD1963 adapter. It's designed to be soldered down, probably with a groundplane on the other side of the pcb, and I just haven't got the space. It would end up hanging in mid air.

I'll do pcb designs if you want, but I won't build them or give any guarantee that they'll work at all.
Mick

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Erm....

Mick

flasherror

Posted: 03:58pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  There *may* be problems with the antenna in the module box. It would have to be external as you can't get it away from the PCB.

I wouldn't be happy with the HC12 on the SSD1963 adapter. It's designed to be soldered down, probably with a groundplane on the other side of the pcb, and I just haven't got the space. It would end up hanging in mid air.

I was thinking: put the 5-pin HC12 header connector on the RS485 version (near an side panel end for the enclosure?) so that user could populate it assuming don't mind the module sticking out a bit. In any case the common HC12 module has the antenna sticking out so no need to deal with the antenna RF black magic bits like impedance matching etc.
It could also be used as a TTL serial port expansion to other devices (TX/RX) and might be useful. The HC12 module connector is 0.1"/2.54mm spacing and so a male header (straight or right angle) would fit nicely.
Edited 2022-01-16 02:03 by flasherror

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:02pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Doesn't fit my ideas for the module series I want. Having odd bits sticking out of the case just doesn't fit. These are designed to be cased and the RS485 module has no spare space along the back anyway.

I can find very little *detail* on the HC12 modules. Only the longer blue one (with the spring antenna supplied loose) seems to have a manual - or any info at all. Also, no-one appears to stock the black one at present.

The blue module can have header pins fitted, five at one end and a single one near the other. That looks reasonably good for mechanical stability and it will fit easily in the module and on the SSD1963 adapter.

Another alternative is to make the HC12 an I2C device. Perhaps with a Micromite to do the processing. A simple command language could then control it from any I2C system. Basically it would be a semi-intelligent modem.
Edited 2022-01-16 04:03 by Mixtel90
Mick

flasherror

Posted: 09:34pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I can find very little *detail* on the HC12 modules. Only the longer blue one (with the spring antenna supplied loose) seems to have a manual - or any info at all. Also, no-one appears to stock the black one at present.

Another alternative is to make the HC12 an I2C device. Perhaps with a Micromite to do the processing. A simple command language could then control it from any I2C system. Basically it would be a semi-intelligent modem.

English translated manual found on the back shed: http://www.thebackshed.com/docregister/Files/18/HC-12%20v2.3C.pdf (Thanks to Robert for the translation/manual. Is v2.3c the most recent?)

Also see https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=8246 for config utility for programming module settings (channel etc).

This module has a STM8 microcontroller that interfaces between the host and the RF chip so the picomite/micromite host could implement any other functionality on top of it. Note however that the radio link is not reliable (i.e. chars may be dropped) unlike a TCP/IP connection so a truly reliable link will require checksum/CRC and retry etc.
Edited 2022-01-16 07:48 by flasherror

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:11pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First link, all I see is "Welocme to the home of Calacom".  :(

The software is of no interest to me - I won't be writing it. :)
Mick

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I can find very little *detail* on the HC12 modules.

Check out the 'Doc register' under 'Micromite MMBasic Library(s)' on the Home page of this forum. Grogster had a long post regarding fake and genuine  HC-12 here too.
See this one too.

Bill

flasherror

Posted: 11:28pm 15 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  First link, all I see is "Welocme to the home of Calacom".

?
I have no idea why the link doesn't work.
Copy and paste https://www.thebackshed.com/docregister/Files/18/HC-12%20v2.3C.pdf and see if it works

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:48am 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That worked, thanks. :)

The manual I previously found was this one. which is labelled version 1.18 and shows a slightly different version.

Looks like I have to rethink the RXD LED as the output from the HC12 can't drive one, apparently. Both manuals agree on essential stuff like voltages, header positions & dimensions so that's enough for me.

As far as the pcb designs go it almost certainly doesn't matter whether you use official HC12 modules or fakes/clones providing you use the same sort together. Just don't mix them. Of course, if the firmware is different then that's a whole new ballgame and might equally apply to different revisions of the official modules.
Mick

flasherror

Posted: 01:23pm 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glad you got the PDF.

I believe the limited drive is due to the 1K series resistors which are probably there to allow 5V UART compatibility without level conversion, but that's my guess.

Now check out https://www.electrodragon.com/w/EY-40 and https://www.electrodragon.com/w/images/0/05/EY-40_English_manual.pdf

This is another radio module with a 6-pin 2.0mm header that is inexpensive (and the physically compatible LC12S radio module which has the same pinout is even cheaper - check ebay for pricing "lc12s 2.4g").

Might want to layout for this module as well if you're doing header pins for HC12. The JDY40 could be next to the HC12 connector to allow user to populate the radio module of their choice. I would put the headers in a straight column to conserve space and ensure that only one module can be used at a time.
Edited 2022-01-17 00:09 by flasherror

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:01pm 16 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks an interesting little module. 8 IO thrown in for free. :)

I've just got sidetracked off these again...
Many moons ago I started designing & building a lab power supply using a Micromite & ILI9341 for the instrumentation (not control - that's pure analogue). Interesting design, using a trailing edge switcher (from an old design I found in a magazine) to control the voltage on the reservoir capacitor so that there's never more than 5V across the series pass transistor. I'd previously attempted to make PCBs for it at home (single sided) but I've not been able to get decent boards so it went on the back burner. Anyway, now I've got SL6 and some experience with it I decided to lay out the main control board again using that, as the board area is similar to 100x100mm in area but rectangular. I've done the layout now and I'm at the checking stage. Yet another piling up for JLC. :)
Mick

flasherror

Posted: 01:42pm 18 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...and when you get back to it also take a look at www.ebyte.com radio modules.

Most have a 7-pin 0.1"/2.54mm header and a variety of modules are available for specialized purposes (wireless UART, MODBUS replacement, LoRa etc). Some even feature full duplex radio communication, see https://www.ebyte.com/en/product-view-news.html?id=1648

One E34 module: https://www.ebyte.com/en/product-view-news.html?id=146

PDF manual with dimensions/pinout: https://www.ebyte.com/en/downpdf.aspx?id=146

Implementing a header for these would have some interesting possibilities.
Edited 2022-01-19 00:15 by flasherror

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:44pm 18 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm doing ONE version to take the HC12 and the EY-40. That's it. I looked at the possibility of having the ESP8266-01S as well, but it got silly as I can't have any backplane close to the antenna on any of the versions, and adding more connectors means that some will end up underneath RF sensitive bits of others. PCB space is at a premium on both the SSD1963 adapter and the IO modules so that's it for the wireless types. I included the EY-40 as it raises the possibility of having an 8-port SMD module without the Micromite in it. Also, it's a local system, being at 2.4GHz.

Micromite HC12 node 10.zip

My idea for the last module in the series (as far as I'm concerned) will have a female connector on it and will plug directly into the male connector of any of the other modules. It will be another sea-of-holes unit so the user can add lights, switches etc. The already designed sea-of-holes unit can do a similar thing, but would be connected via ribbon cable so a few modules could be stacked vertically with all IO at the back.
Edited 2022-01-19 00:59 by Mixtel90
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:04pm 18 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I looked at the possibility of having the ESP8266-01S as well, but it got silly

My preference now for adding an ESP-01 is to use this module, which takes just 4 pins, including 5V instead of 3V3, and reduces the number of components needed on your main board.

I know, though, that this doesn't fit in with your desire to keep everything within the box you are designing for.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:04pm 18 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With added ESP goodness:

The ESP supply voltage is wrong, I know. :)
Edited 2022-01-19 06:11 by Mixtel90
Mick

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:19pm 02 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,
You have gone quiet on these boards for a while. I would like to order a couple of them when they are complete. When do you think you may be able to get back to them?

Bill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:38pm 02 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got diverted. Like you do. :)
I had a problem with my chosen boxes so I've been making mods to my VGA mini to get it to fit other boxes (probably). I want to order several types of boards this time - and hopefully save on the postage!

Then I had another look at the SSD1963 adapters and I've been designing a new backpack board for it. :)
There's also been a little tweaking to the IO adapters too, so it's all still on the boil. lol
Mick

Page 5 of 6    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024